Europa Universalis IV: Developer diary 31 - A Point of Honor

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
japan will definitely be fun,i want to build a westernized japan and colonize 'murica

Yay, I wasn't impressed with how Japan was represented in Divine Wind, but now I can't wait to be able to play them in EUIV.

This made me realize that, despite playing hours upon hours of Divine Wind, I never actually tried Japan! From what I hear it isn't that amazing, but I'll definitely jump into a campaign just so I can see the difference between it and EUIV.

I think the way to deal with Japan's technology-much shorter order than dealing with China's-is to put it in whatever is Orthodox now at game start, to prevent it from falling too far behind, switch it to whatever is Latin now by Idea/Event/Decision in the 1550s, and switch it back by Idea/Event/Decision in the 1630s. Humans should have a very rough path (a la the Beys for the OE in EU II, except effective) to keeping either or both, but the AI should always follow the historical path.

At least in multiplayer. I doubt it'll be hard to dominate a game as even an ahistorically backward Japan in singleplayer.

And yes, I heartily agree. Japan should be a lot of fun and perhaps an occasional twist spoiler in MP.

Thy precious hoity toity 'greater' English spelling is actually likely French in origin. ;)

Which is precisely the source of its superiority, of course. =}
(Plus, righting the spelling to go back to the Latin roots isn't remotely likely when one considers through/thru. It's probably laziness as usual. [/obvious playful troll])

On topic, this Japan seems much more attractive than its Divine Wind counterpart.
I don't see much appeal in this mind-blowing new secret feature, though, but this new Japanese archipelago will most definitely get some playtime. :)

This looks like fun. I must say, the variety in national ideas seems likely substantially to increase replayability and to increase "flavour".

I'm really looking forward to playing as a Daimyo now, though, I have to say. Plenty of room to move about with in this version.

This looks like fun. I must say, the variety in national ideas seems likely substantially to increase replayability and to increase "flavour".

This is my opinion as well, there are so many more reasons for me to try out different countries now when a whole bunch of them are unique. I hope we can see country flavour DLCs in the future :blush:

I'm really happy to see all the improvements from the post-Victoria II games showing up in EU4. Great job!

Now we just gotta hope that the finished product won't be a buggy mess upon release

I guess we will have to sushi how they play, they Meji very fun.

You diplomatic rank is derived from your fleet size, the number of subject nations you have (vassals and personal unions), strong countries you have allied with, your diplomatic technology level and your merchant power.

How is England #1 at diplomacy in 1444?

Surely Venice has a larger navy, equal or greater tech and more merchant power? Not sure about allies or vassals, but in EU3 England wouldn't have had any vassals at that date.