• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The grey beast ...Something much more dangerous if it remains stable than France.....Destroy it with fire otherwise it will kill you !

A1185.9 It was learned that France declared war upon Castille for the county of Badajoz.
(Note: the D Version included an added comment, “The Lady Queen is an avid reader, and has instructed that a small library and reading room be added to her chambers.”)
11859s.jpg

A1185.10 The preparations for the tournament have been cancelled in a rush, and mercenaries of the Navarrese Company are crowding the city streets with the King’s levies. The Bishop has informed us that Jerusalem has declared an invasion of France. God give the King strength.
(Note: He had been hearing since he was seven that a Pope, and hence God, approved an attack on France. The young King was impatient, and thought France’s war with Castille provided the opportunity he needed.)

A1185.12 A clash of arms has been reported at Dax, which was a victory for Jerusalem.
118512.jpg

A representative from the Merchant Republic of Pisa provided a payment of gold to the Kingdom. Rumors report a revolt has begun in France, making much of the opportunity of Rogier’s attack.

(Player’s Note: I should have got some screenshots of the initial positioning, but it did not look good. France walked away from it’s Castille war, and stacks of ugly doom were chasing me all over. I won some initial clashes, catching smaller forces or when I managed to concentrate reinforcements to surprise and win a medium-sized battle - such as the first battle of Dax above. But I was in outright fear and convinced I was doomed. I tried for a white peace at some point, but the war score hadn’t really moved yet, and Rorgues laughed at me.)

A1186.3 A battle at Rheims and a victory for Jerusalem. Clearly God is with us.

A1186.4 Jerusalem took the field in victory at Tudela.

A1186.5 Word has arrived that the county of Kerak in the Holy Land has embraced the Catholic faith. Soldiers of Jerusalem were again victorious at Dax. The 1e daughter of the King, Matilda, was born.

D1186.10 The Lady Queen has instructed that her reading room be expanded, to allow for more shelves.

A1186.11 Jerusalem has been defeated at a battle in Dax.

A1186.12 A Sunni Jihad was declared to free the Duchy of Jerusalem from the control of the Catholic King Rogier I. King Rogier and the Court Chaplain convinced the Templar Knights to help Christendom’s cause and defend Jerusalem.
11871o.jpg

(Player’s Note: at first, a sinking feeling that all was lost. I had enough piety, just barely, to get a defended Holy Order hired and sent to the defenseless Holy Land - everyone else was chasing around France. Then the slow realization over months of gameplay that it was a Sunni jihad... declared by a single county fool from down Mali-way.)

A1187.2 The Holy Roman Emperor took up his duty as a leader of Christendom and pledged his aid to defend Rogier against the foul jihad for Jerusalem. Melun in county Paris, has fallen to Jerusalem’s siege. Soldiers of King Rogier have won Cádiz through their determined siege.
(Player’s Note: note that - Cádiz. King Rorgues direclty owned the county of Paris, and all of the Duchy of Seville. Everything else was vassaled out. While he chased me and his spreading rebellion around France proper, I landed a force at Seville and began taking his personal holdings in southern Spain without being disturbed.)
11872.jpg

(Player’s Note: with just a flavor of the French internal political issues visible.)

A1187.6 Frederick, the 1e son of King Rogier, has been born happy and healthy. Jerusalem was defeated by France at a battle at Compiègne.

A1187.7 Jerusalem was defeated by France at the battle of Compiègne.

A1187.8 Jerusalem was defeated by France at the battle of Amiens.

A1187.9 Jerusalem was defeated by France at the battle of Bolgna, and again at Arras.
(Note: the tense brevity of these posts speaks volumes of the status of the campaign. Much has been written of this war elsewhere, but the armies of King Rogier in France were outnumbered, and spent time marching away from and around both French royal and rebel troops. It was a chaotic period with the general war, Rorgues’ acts of tyranny, and the spreading rebellion. Reports back to Sanctus Columbae had to be sporadic, and less than encouraging.)

A1187.9 Jerusalem won Jeréz by siege.

A1187.10 Melun was re-captured by France after siege.

A1187.11 Huelva was captured by Jerusalem after a siege.
(Note: the D Version included a note that “Queen Eulalia spends much time putting on a brave face, and making sure the court remains active and suitably regal.”)
118711.jpg

A1188.1 The Knights Hospitaller and Castille both offer their Christian aid in the defense of Jerusalem.

A1188.3 Jerusalem has invested the holdings of Lepe and Medina Sidonia after long sieges in Seville. The tension and requirements of ruling and waging the war have prompted the King to take a relaxing hobby, and he can often be found spending time with the gardeners of whatever estate he may be visiting.
11883c.jpg

A1188.8 The siege of Almonte has been brought to a successful conclusion.

A1188.10 Word has arrived of the first significant clash of the jihad in Jerusalem - a victory for King Rogier at Beirut.

(Note: The last entry in the A Version was the mention of the victory at Beirut. This is at the end of a page, so there could have been further entries that have been lost but this is unknown. Significantly, the B version does not have any transcribed entries for the interval before it’s next item, so there may not be any lost entries.)

B1189.2 Bishop Milo has taken over here at Sanctus Columbae and instructs that extra prayers for Rogier and the Kingdom be offered to the heavenly father daily.

B1189.3 King Rogier is reported to be ill. A special mass was held for his health and the safety of the realm.
(Note: Rogier had multiple illnesses reported in the Chronicle as an adult, a fact the D Version highlights beyond what we previously knew. He is known from other sources to have taken ill notably once or twice as a youth, as well. While not directly remarked, it implies that his health was not particularly robust.)

B1189.4 A significant wave of new revolts in France is reported against King Rorgues.
118942.jpg

(Note: In addition, The D Version has a short comment in the margin of the March 1189 entry that is largely illegible but includes the name “Agnese Spinola”.)
11894.jpg

B1189.8 Jerusalem has taken the holding of Ancona after a siege.

B1189.10 The patient forces at Seville have won the holding for Jerusalem.

B1190.1 King Rogier is reported to be fully healthy and active in the gardens again. Praise the Lord for his mercy.
(Note: the D Version makes mention of “Duran was born a healthy lad of lady Agnese Spinola”, with no other commentary.)
11901.jpg

B1190.2 Forces of the King have invested Puigcerdà after a successful siege.

B1190.3 Soldiers of the King have invested Gibraltar and Almonaster la Real after successful sieges.

B1190.5 Carmona has fallen to forces of the King after a successful siege. Negev has been captured by a siege of the jihadists.

B1190.7 Soldiers of Jerusalem and the Knights Hospitaller have won the field in Bethlehem against the mohammedans.
11907o.jpg

D1190.8 King Rorgues I of France was murdered. King Aubry I, his son, has inherited and continues to resist King Rogier.
(Note: A cryptic entry in the D Version “We pray for the King, and his immortal soul”.)
11908.jpg

(Player’s Note: I would like to find the good Baron Jakuz of Senlis and buy him a frosty beverage to thank him for ordering Rorgues’ murder. Poor Aubry didn’t really have a chance from that moment.)

B1190.9 The King’s 2e son, Salvador, has been born.

B1190.10 Negev has been recovered from the Islamist infestation after a siege. Soldiers of Rogier won a siege at Tarifa.

B1190.12 Soldiers of Rogier won a siege at Écija. Pope Paschal II has passed in Rome. Pope Martin IV has been named in conclave.

B1191.1 Soldiers of Rogier won a siege at Itálica.

B1191.4 Soldiers of Rogier won a siege at Algericas.

B1191.7 The denizens of Jerusalem have embraced the Catholic faith. Soldiers of

Rogier won a siege at Utrera.

B1191.9 Ronda has fallen to Rogier after siege.

B1191.10 Jihadist were defeated at Deimacher. Morón has fallen to the siege of King Rogier.
119110.jpg

B1192.1 King Aubry I of France bent the knee in surrender to King Rogier I of Jerusalem.
11921y.jpg

I CAN NOT BELEIVE THIS @! Dual Kingdom at your hands even with a Jihad at doorstep !

I had trouble believing it too, but keep in mind that the jihad was sunni in a dominantly shia muslim world, and was launched from Mali.
And France was devastated by revolt or I never would have stood a chance.

Again, time for a ‘deep breath’ moment.

Fortune favors the bold,... or the stupid.

The chronicle does not convey the anxiousness of these events, I was far too distracted to keep good records.

After I learned that I had lost the alliance to the HRE, and couldn’t seem to find a way to get it back, I figured the invasion I had gotten authorized would never come to fruition.

The giant HRE freaked me out, however. I needed to either swear fealty or be ready to get a beating from France, Castille, or now the HRE at any time. Especially as the HRE getting a hold of the ERE broke my hoped for alliance with the Eastern Empire - my betrothed was knocked too far down the pecking order. I probably should have just started trying to marry into the Capet family and the French crown, in retrospect, but this really hasn’t been my best played game... one of the more interesting and lucky, but certainly not well played.

Anyway, when France declared war on Castille, I thought there was a window to jump in boldly and take advantage.

Bad, bad choice. France turned to steamroll me, and completely ignored Castille. I could not stand up to the concentrated French armies. I was doomed.

Again, it pays to be lucky. Rorgues ended up in a death spiral of revolts (literally, much like my own Shaddam a few generations back), but unlike when that had beset the Duchy of Barcelona, there were outsiders interfering this time - namely me. And, the foolish French king only really owned a cluster of counties far from the heart of France and where the fighting was taking place. Sieges and patience, and now Rogier has a path to become Imperator Francia.

Of course, first the revolt Rogier inherited from Rorgues needs to be forcibly ended, and then the Emperor level title created, Kingdoms formed and handed out... but then we keep the HRE at bay and turn eyes to the North and the fragmented British Isles...

B1192.1 Aymeric Corrino was named Count of Cádiz and Niebla. Rainer Corrino was made Count of Seville, Algeciras, and Aracena. Duke Jordan of Cascogne called Duke Rainer of Champagne into his revolt against the crown of France. Word has arrived of a new Christian Holy Order, The Teutonic Knights.

(Note: Rogier may have won the crown, but the revolts were not just against Aubry Capet, but against that crown and a claim upon it. Rogier took responsibility to resist the revolt - which Aubry had been losing incidentally - and had to gain the support of his new Frankish vassals while fighting some of them.)
119212.jpg

B1192.7 The 2e daughter of King Rogier is born - Brigitte.

B1193.7 The 3e son of King Rogier is born - Rogier.

B1194.2 The citizens of the district of Fes have embraced the Holy word of Christ.

D1194.9 His Highness has become cold from the weight of his many troubles. The Bishop bids us pray for his immortal soul
11949f.jpg

B1195.1 Murcia surrenders their independence revolt against King Rogier. With God’s Grace the Sunnis have given up their Jihad.
11952s.jpg

B1195.4 Duke Jordan surrenders his revolt to King Rogier.
(Note: the D Version adds “Assassins on the grounds of the castle kill Gaia in the King’s Court, while she was at his side.”)
11954f.jpg

B1195.5 A Grand Tourney is declared to celebrate peace in the realm. King Rogier formally usurps the title of Duke of Brittany.

B1195.6 Duke Guichard of Aquitaine ransomed of his freedom from the French dungeon.

B1195.8 Thierry Corrino wins the King’s Tournament.
11958.jpg

B1195.10 King Rogier declares a war to enforce his claims upon the Counts of Vannes and Cornauaille under his de jure rights as Duke of Brittany. Chancellor Máel-Máedoc, confidant and the regent to the King in his minority, passed away at 52. He was replaced on the Council by Duke Charles of Anjou.

B1195.11 Quentin, the 4e son of King Rogier, was born.
(Note: the D Version adds “The King is taken ill again. My God intercede.”)
(Player’s Note: after starting this game with a hope of making Shaddams... I’ve been very loath to use the name again after the experience of Duke Shaddam I.)

B1196.3 Duke Jordan of Gascogne was ransomed of his freedom from the Dungeons of King Rogier.

D1196.7 The King is well again. Thank the Lord.

B1196.9 The Count of Vannes has surrendered to King’s Rogier’s rightful claim.

B1196.12 The Count of Courouaille has surrendered to King’s Rogier’s rightful claim.

C1196.12 His Royal Highness Rogier I, known as the Conqueror, was crowned Emperor of Francia.
11974t.jpg

(Player’s Note: in the east things are a jumbled mess, after the HRE and ERE again split. However the lands between them fragmented, the ERE is a divided mess, and the Seljuk East is consolidating independently.)
1197h.jpg

B1196.12 Emperor Rogier formed the Kingdom of Aquitaine, and declared that Hasimir Corrino was to bear that crown as his vassal lord.

B1197.1 The 5e son of the Emperor was born, Thufir. Emperor Rogier undertook the guardianship of his half-brother Philippe. It was so ordered that there be formed additional retinues of a trained soldiers to serve the crown.
(Player’s Note: 2 knight & 1 shock retinues)

B1197.2 War was declared on the County of Cornwall for Count Gael of Vanne’s de jure claim upon the Bishopric of Locmine in Vannes.

B1197.4 Large city tax was implemented in Francia.

B1197.5 Bishop Albert of Aix passed at 55, and was replaced by Bishop Gaston.

B1197.10 Prince Aubry Capet was released of the prison of Francia. He was requested by his Emperor to surrender his title of Seville. He steadfastly refused and ordered his faithful troops to arms.

B1197.12 Cornwall surrendered its claim on Locmine to Vannes.

B1978.4 Prince Aubry surrendered to Emperor Rogier. Rainer Corrino was given the title of Duke of Seville. Duke Savoy of Murcia was released of his freedom by his generous Emperor.
(Note: the D Version again mentions Agnese Spinola in the margins with a comment regarding the Queen’s absence from the castle...)
11984.jpg

B1198.5 Rogier Corrino, son of the Emperor, was betrothed to Queen Guisla I of Castille.

B1198.6 The Emperor declared that the Barony of Barcelona was henceforth to be known as the Barony of Salusa.

B1199.1 A daugher, Ippolita, was born to Agnese Spinola and Emperor Rogier was said to be the father. His Highness denounced the child in clear terms.
(Player’s Note: I wouldn’t have minded making her legitimate, but I have so many kids and didn’t need the -50 hit on all of them.)

B1199.5 Emperor Rogier formed the Kingdom of Mauretania, and declared that Rainer Corrino was to bear that crown as his vassal lord.

B1199.7 Emperor Rogier declared war on the Duke of Dauphine for his de jure claim to the county of Forez.
(Player’s Note: Dauphine was in revolt against the HRE.)

B1199.2 Gael of Vannes named Duke of Brittany by Emperor Rogier.
The Fatamid declare a Shia Jihad for Jerusalem.
119912.jpg

(Player’s Note: I’ve only been expecting for this for... a generation or two.)

B1200.10 The Duke of Dauphine surrenders to Emperor Rogier’s claim.

B1200.12 Bishop Philippe of Cuaxà passed at 75, and was replaced by Bishop Boson. Bishop Estève of Avignon was named his replacement as Court Chaplain. Duke Robèrt of Aquitaine was also named to the council. The Chancellor brought to the Emperor a clear claim up the county of Devon in the British Isles.

(Note: an odd gap appears in the Chronicle at this point. I find it hard to believe nothing of note occurred in 1201.)

B1202.1 Count Hamelin of Blois named Chancellor at Duke Charles I of Anjou’s death.

B1202.2 The 4e daughter or our Emperor was born, and named Wensicia.
(Player’s Note: as an aside I absolutely love that the game generates names using not just culturally appropriate options but drawing on the dynasty history within the game - Wensicia was introduced by me from “Dune” sources, and it popped up here and I kept it.)

B1202.5 Princess Matilda, daughter of the Emperor, matrilineally wed Johann Ludowinger.

B1203.6 Prince Thufir, son of the Emperor, was betrothed to Queen Maior I of Castille.
(Note: the older sister who had been queen died, and a new age appropriate betrothal to get the other regional kingdom into the dynasty was undertaken - clearly Rogier was thinking beyond simple conquest to strength his base.)

B1203.8 The 5e daughter or our Emperor was born, and named Gersenda.

B1204.1 Ordoño Jimena, father of the Emperor, passed away. Emperor Rogiet inherited of him the Duchy of Galilee and lands and rights accordingly.

B1204.3 The Chancellor brought to the Emperor a clear claim up the county of Cornwall in the British Isles.

B1204.8 Caliph Mehtar II surrendered his jihad to our Emperor.
12028a.jpg

(Note: interesting that not a single event within the fighting was noted in the Chronicle. This represents either the relative significance of the fighting in the affairs of the Empire - that is little - or that the activity devoted to the Chronicle was at a real ebb during this period.)

B1204.9 Emperor Rogier declared a war each upon Devon (in revolt) and the Kingdom of Wales for Cornwall to express his claimed right to title upon their lands therein.

B1205.8 The Emperor sent his men-at-arms to collect Princy Aubry and conduct him to the imperial dungeon. He escaped and raised his levies in revolt. The claim war for Devon ended inconclusively, as Devon surrendered its revolt.

B1205.9 A representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice delivered a gift of 411 gold to the Emperor. Ugues Corrino was elected the new Doge of Navarra.
12059t.jpg

B1205.11 Emperor is reported to be taken ill. Leeches and prayers are offered for his recovery.

B1207.1 The Kingdom of Wales ceded its hold on Cornwall to Rogier, Emperor of Francia.
12071w.jpg

B1207.4 Salvador, son of the Emperor, married Princess Snøfrid Yngling of England.

B1208.3 Emma Ordoñez, half-sister to the Emperor through their father Ordoño, married Duran Corrino.

B1208.7 Brigitte, daughter of the Emperor, was matrilineally wed to Trifon Rodislavovich. Aubry Capet surrendered to the Emperor. He and Arnaud Capet were in the dungeon together. The Duchy of Valois was revoked of Aubry and granted to Count Barthélémi of Amiens.
12087.jpg

(Note: Arnaud Capet had been taken on the battlefield during the conflict, though it went unremarked at the time in the Chronicle.)

B 1208.8 Emperor Rogier declared a de jure war for the Duchy of Aragon’s claim on county Calatayud upon the Duke Velasco of Castille, who was in revolt against his Queen.

D1208.9 Emperor Rogier I “The Conqueror” of Francia, taken by his illness, went to sleep and never woke up.

C1208.9 Emperor Rogier I “The Conqueror” of Francia, first of his name, was taken to his reward too young at 39.
12089i.jpg

INTERLUDE:
Emperor Rogier Corrino, what needs to be said? He remains one of the most dramaticized figures in history, rivaling Julius Ceasar or Alexander the Great in film and stage appearances. And the drama was certainly there.

His advisors kept him successfully upon the throne in his minority. Then, upon his majority, he bravely (or foolishly) declared war upon one of the strongest kingdoms in Europe. Through guile, strategy, and no small amount of luck he won and brought the House of Corrino to pre-eminence - changing the fate of all of western Europe.

It is a shame that he was seemingly sickly, and taken relatively young. It would have been interesting to see how events would have played out with another decade or two under Rogier. should he have lived on to his 50s or beyond. As it was, Frederick took the throne and events proceeded accordingly, but all of it dependent upon the bold reign of Rogier the Conqueror.

AMAZING ! I could not imagine that you could repel all these incursions but you made it ! At this point the most difficult part will be the control over the vassals

Frederick

And, so, Frederick took the throne. 21 years of age, he was an ambitious lad who greatly enjoyed the social life of the court.
120810j.jpg

His son and heir, Frederick, was quite young when his father took the throne and destined to be raised to rule.
120810b.jpg

B1208.10 Florènç Corrino Duke of Oultrejourdain was named King of Jerusalem by the Emperor. The title Duchy of Cornwall was created by imperial decree. Doge Ugues of Navarra passed away and Renaud de Gaincamp elected Doge and named Cupbearer to the Emperor. The Emperor’s brother Salvador fled to the court of Duke Barthélémi of Champagne, and rumors of a succession crisis for Salvador’s claim spread. Duke Barthélémi was received of gifts and the title Master of the Hunt.

D1209.3 It is clear to all his subjects that the Emperor adores his wife and dotes on her every her concern and need. The Empire benefits from his fine example.
12093a.jpg

B1209.5 Duke Gael the Gentle of Brittany passed and was inherited of Ac’hantael. The siege of Calatayud was won by soldiers of the Empire.

B1209.6 The Empire successfully concluded the siege of Alhama de Aragón.

B1209.7 The Empire successfully concluded the siege of Piedra. The 2e son of the Emperor, Adhémar Corrino was born.

B1209.9 The Empire successfully concluded the siege of Soria.

B1209.10 Prince Rogier, brother of the Emperor, was wed to Djire a courtier of the court of Caliph Bassi

I, a Sunni Caliphate in Mali.
(Note: the D version adds “The Emperor was taken ill shortly after the wedding.”)
120910b.jpg

B1209.12 The Emperor was well and fit when he received word of both the successful siege of Almazán and

the surrender of the Duke of Castille to the claim of the Duke of Aragon.
120912b.jpg

(Note: the ‘well and fit’ in this note within the B version gains context from the D Version note of October, and settles some minor scholarly discussion about the comment from prior to the D Version’s discovery.)
120912n.jpg

B1210.1 A Grand Tourney of the Empire of Francia has been announced.

B1210.5 Enguerrand de Mauléon declared the victor of the Emperor’s Tournament.

B1210.6 Emperor Frederick declared a war upon Duke Wilhem the Chaste of Dauphine under his de jure rights as King of France and Emperor of Francia, and for his de jure right as Duke of Cornwall on the county Devon. Construction on the city of Arrakeen in Barcelona was completed.

B1210.12 The 2e daughter of the Emperor was born, Irulan.

B1211.2 Duke Gael II inherited Brittany. The Siege of Pusignan was won by soldiers of the Emperor. Duke Robèrt of Aquitaine name guardian of Frederick, son of the Emperor. The siege of Lydford was won by soldiers of the Emperor.

B1211.3 Princess Brigitte was set as guardian over young Duke Gael of Brittany.
(Player’s Note: trying to get him to move from Breton to Occitan. A general effort to education the heirs or rulers in their minority to Occitan begins with this guardianship. They may not like the cultural variance of their guardian, but they do like the recognition from their Emperor and having a King as guardian - as they often get.)

B1211.6 The siege of Exeter was won by the Empire. The Duke of Dauphine surrendered to the Emperors claim. Trained cadres are set to training for the Emperor’s retinue.
12116u.jpg

(Player’s Note: 2 defense and 1 knight)

B1211.7 Duke Jacme II of Flanders set as guardian over young Duke Clotaire of Anjou.

B1211.8 The siege of Axminster was won by the Empire.

B1211.10 Wales surrendered Devon to the Emperor’s claim. Duke Thibaud of Poitou made Princess Elisa’s guardian.

B1211.11 The Emperor declared he would enforce Brittany’s de jure claim on county Léon by force of arms.

B1211.12 Prince Quentin, brother to the Emperor, married Sacmis bint Qadir of the Fatimid, . Sacmis and Djire, bride of Prince Rogier, both took the eucharist and converted to Catholicism, Praise the Lord.
(Player’s Note: Sacmis was a genius sayyid, and converted nicely after the application of a little gold.)

D1212.6 The Emperor behaves in a way unbecoming a man of God. Prayers for his assurance of pardon.
12126d.jpg

B1212.10 The siege of St. Pol de Leon won after storming the walls. The Emperor was wounded in the attack.
12131x.jpg

B1213.1 Duke Aimery II of Bourbon named Chancellor.

B1213.2 Orms Jonsson arrived from England and was made Count of Devon.
(Player’s Note: to force his claim, that I verified he had to invite him to court... and once he arrived I could not press it. Stupid weak claims. gggrrrr)

B1213.5 The siege of Brest was won by the Empire, and Léon surrendered its independence to Brittany.

B1213.7 Thufir Corrino, brother to the Emperor, was wed to Queen Maior I of Castille and Leon.

B1213.9 Anquetil de Vassy named count of Cornwall, and war was declared upon England to press Anquetil’s claim upon the Duchy of Somerset.

B1214.5 Empress Marietta Ziani died a natural death at 27.

D1214.6 The Emperor’s wound healed into a dramatic scar, that he showed to all who would listen to his tale. The Emperor usurped the title of Duke of Dauphine. Arnaud Capet died in the dungeon of Francia. A representative of Venice delivered a gift of gold to the Emperor.
12146.jpg

B1215.2 The Emperor Frederick wed Anna Yuriyona Rurikovich, Princess of Ruthenia.

B1215.3 Word has arrived from the east of a Khan of Khans, approaching with a horde.
12153g.jpg

12153b.jpg

D1215.5 Ioulanda Corrino born to Quention and Sacmis.
12155u.jpg

(Player’s Note: funny to see a European noble born ‘Mirza’.)

B1215.11 Rogier, the 3e son of the Emperor, was born.

B1215.12 England surrendered its hold on Somerset to Anquetil de Vassy, who was then also awarded the title Duke of Cornwall. Duke Anquetil held a de jure claim upon the independent county of Winchester, and the Emperor acted to enforce it.
121512c.jpg

B1216.8 Dorset and Somerset revolt against their rightful Duke Anquetil.

D1216.11 If the Emperor has a fault, it is for being too straightforward with his thoughts and opinions.
121611.jpg

Last edited:

Player’s Sidebar

I took some time at this point to satisfy my curiosity, and that I thought I would share what I hunted down:

You may remember the d’Agde family - Guilhèm d’Agde was friend to the first Frederick (the original Count Corrino) and faithful spymaster. He was made Mayor of the city of Beziers in reward. The family remains in Beziers, for a time they were Irish, but the current Mayor is Frankish and wed to a Corrino lass. Maybe I’ll pull someone out of there and reward them further at some point.
sidebar1e.jpg

Duran Corrino, the secretly illegitimate son of Agnese Spinola and Emperor Rogier has become King of Mauretania.
sidebar2dj.jpg

The first Frederick from the start of the game had an illegitimate son named Frederick, who in turn had a daughter, Cathèrine Corrino, who is still alive. She is, unfortunately, unwed and beyond childbearing age, so that bloodline is about to die out. I wish I had thought to pay more attention and help them advance.
sidebar3d.jpg

You expand like an octopus my friend ! I liek the Emperor but Iam afraid that we will have soon a succession crisi at our hands ......It seems that bastards have good luck at your world :laugh:

B1217.6 The Emperor has directed that the region of Arabia is to be brought within his control and declared holy war against the Emir there which has elected to revolt against their Fatamid lords.

B1217.10 The Waldensian Heresy took root in Venaissin. The Emperor has directed his Court Chaplain to go there, and help right the wrong of their sins.
121710.jpg

B1217.11 The Heresy seems to have been weakly rooted, and the Chaplain has already reported success in God’s work at Venaissin.
(Note: the D Version also carries the following addition in November of 1217 “The Emperor dotes on his His Lady wife. They are a couple well matched by the Lord, and in love.”)

B1219.3 Bernat-Ezi Corrino, nephew of the Emperor, was wed to Renata di Verona.

B1219.4 An extra mass was held, as the Emperor is taken ill and we asked the Lord for His intervention for His Servant Frederick. Princess Wensicia Corrino, sister of Emperor Frederick, was matrilineally wed to Prince Åmund Kåresson of England.
12193.jpg

B1219.9 Princes Gersenda Corrino, sister of Emperor Frederick, was matrilineally wed to Konstantios of Cetatca Alba. The Emperor roused from his sickbed, in time to receive the news of a successful holy war for Arabia.
12198s.jpg

B1219.10 The Emperor has directed that the region of Ascalon to be brought within his control via holy war, as they have elected to revolt against the Fatamid. The title of Duke of Arabia has been decreed by the Emperor, and Bernat-Ezi Corrino has been named Count of Al ‘Aqabah, Tabuk, Mann, and Petra in addition to Duke of Arabia. Trifon Rodislavovich was named Count of Shaka.

B1220.1 His Holiness has delivered gold to the Emperor, in thanks for his efforts to bring the Word more widely to the Holy Land, and to help defray the cost of the fighting therein.

B1220.2 Ippolita Spinola, half-sister of Emperor Frederick, wed to Prince Florènç Corrino of Jerusalem.
12202t.jpg

B1220.5 The entire bishopric and the realm are concerned as the Emperor is again taken ill.
(Note: a D version comment was left off the B record “Some have expressed concern, after his father was taken so young.”)

B1220.8 Son and Heir, Frederick was wed to Countess Affraic of Teviotdale. She was humbled and pleased to find a church named Sanctus Columbae so far from her native Scotland.
12208.jpg

(Player’s Note: I married my heir to a landed bride and he traveled to Scotland where they raised their children. At the time I thought it was a good idea to get a foothold in Scotland - long view to the British Isles. But, it is clear I got cute and broke one of my personal rules: ‘Do not marry the primary heir to landed women in far away lands without a good reason.’ This will matter later... ominous foreshadowing music - fade to black.)

B1220.11 Prayers of thanks today as the Emperor is again his old self, and up and about.

B1221.1 The young Duke of Berry was sent as a ward to King Duran of Mauretania.

B1221.5 Duke André of Orleans resigned as Spymaster, and was replaced on the Council by Empress Anna.

B1221.6 The 5e son of Emperor Frederick was born, Shaddam.
(Player’s Note: I name him Shaddam and then find out he has the ‘imbecile’ trait. The name is cursed, I tell you.)

B1221.8 The Emperor’s daughter, Elisa, was matrilineally wed to Arnault of Burgundy.
12218l.jpg

B1221.11 The holy war for Ascalon concluded successfully for the Empire. Emperor Frederick has been recognized as a paragon of virtue for his good works for the realm and all Christendom.
122111o.jpg

(Player’s Note: cannot remember if I’ve ever pursued and succeeded at the piety ambition before. Frederick The Holy - I like it.)

122112y.jpg

(Player’s Note: So the East is shaping up nicely, though the Ilkhanate disturb me...)

B1222.2 The Templar Order requested, and received approval from the Emperor, to build a fastness in Jaffa.
12222w.jpg

B1222.4 Captain Æthelric of the Saxon Band was released of the Emperor’s dungeons.
(Player’s Note: he was captured in the war against Wales for Devon. I forgot all about him, and as a mercenary captain it surprised me he couldn’t afford his ransom when I stumbled upon him during a tour of the dungeon. I released him ‘cause Frederick is Holy and all that.)

12223t.jpg

(Player’s Note: The world in general - generally a mess except where the wise leadership of Frederick and the HRE provide protection for faithful vassals...)

B1222.6 Prince Aubry Capet, once King of France, died in a suspicious accident in the dungeons of Emperor Frederick.
12225c.jpg

(Player’s Note: Aubry was still hanging on, I found while touring the dungeon, also. Plotting was surprisingly effective - no one else liked him either.)
12226y.jpg

B1222.11 The 3e daughter of Emperor Frederick was born, Agata.

B1223.6 Bishop Boson of Cuaxà was called to serve in Heaven. Bishop Adelbert took over in Cuaxà, while Bishop Aimeric of Gaza was named as Court Chaplain. Arnault of Burgundy was named Chancellor.

B1223.7 A representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice came and made a donation to the well being of the Empire.

B1223.8 The representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice returned to the Court, and asked the Emperor for his aid in an embargo against Genoa. The Emperor turned him away unsatisfied. The Emperor bade the Marshall form new retinue formations.
(Player’s Note: Venice’s recent donation nicely paid for one each of shock, defense, skirmish, knight, & cavalry retinues.)

B1223.9 It has been noted that the residents of Rosello have adopted Occitan customs and speech. A representative from the Merchant Republic of Pisa came and made a donation to the well being of the Empire.
12239d.jpg

B1223.10 Emperor Frederick the Holy is afflicted of the Great Pox. We pray for his health, and the skills of the leeches and healers that aid him.
122310.jpg

D1224.1 Murdoch, Count of Urgell, perished in a strange accident.
12241i.jpg

(Player’s Note: Murdoch? I thought to myself when I saw the message, and clicked over to Urgell in the Duchy of Barcelona. Well of course his name was Murdoch, the ruling family is Scottish. But of course...)

B1224.6 The representative from the Merchant Republic of Pisa returned to the Court, and asked the Emperor for his aid in an embargo against Genoa. The Emperor turned him away, the concerns and issues of the merchant class being beneath his notice.

B1224.7 A collection of burghers requested a lowering of taxation by the Empire. Frederick regretfully turned them away, sighting the expenses of their protection and spreading the holy word.
12247.jpg

B1224.9 Word has arrived from Petra in the holy land that the word of Christ has been accepted by the citizens there.

B1225.4 The heir to the Duchy of Aragon has been sent for a proper Occitan education. The representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice returned to the Court, and asked the Emperor for his aid in an embargo against Genoa. The Chancellor was tasked with explaining to Venice the many concerns and matters of state far more pressing than where Genoa seeks to undertake it’s trade.
12254f.jpg

B1225.7 The Emperor has directed that the region of Sinai to be brought within his control via holy war, as they have elected to revolt against the Fatamid. The Templar Order was hired to assist in this endeavor.

D1225.10 Eulalia Doukas, Mother of the Emperor, passed at 57. Two weeks of masses throughout the realm marked the occasion.
122510.jpg

B1226.3 The Chancellor has reported to the Emperor that a defensible claim has been found for the Empire upon the County Glamorgan in Wales. A Capet revolt against the Duke of Valois has succeeded, and Rorgues Capet now serves as duke.
(Note: And we find in the D Version “The Council convened to discuss this matter. Spymaster Anna, Lady Wife of the Emperor, was been assigned to visit Paris in her Council role.”)

B1226.7 A representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice came and made a donation to the well being of the Empire.

B1226.11 Spymaster Anna, Lady Wife of the Emperor, has died in a suspicious accident. The entire realm is stunned and grieving. Gargamel, Count of Vermandois, has been made Spymaster in her stead.
(Note: The D Version expanded on events with Anna, and mentioned “Rumours say that Barthélémi of Amiens was guilty of plotting the Empress’ death for unknown reasons.”)
122611s.jpg

(Player’s Note: In working in Paris, in effort to discredit the Capets, Anna had discovered that there was a homosexual member of the court. Given a choice, I selected to spread rumors hoping to cause problems for Rorgues. Turns out it was Barthélémi, the recently deposed duke in the Capetian dungeon. Even in chains, he was ably capable of defending his reputation it seems.)

B1226.12 Emperor Frederick the Holy of Francia wed Elisabeth von Babenburg, a skilled woman from the court of the Holy Roman Empire.
122612b.jpg

122612.jpg

(Note: And in the D Version we find “Barthélémi of Amiens was found dead in the dungeons of Rorgues of Capet.”. Presumably this sordid tale was left out of the main Chronicle to avoid sullying Frederick the Holy’s reputation.)

B1227.2 The Holy War for the Sinai was concluded in the favor of Francia and the newly created Duchy of Sinai was added to the Empire. The Emperor awarded the title to Konstantios, husband to his sister Gersenda. The Emperor declared a war upon the Kingdom of Ireland to enforce his rights and claims upon the county of Glamorgan.
12272b.jpg

Sidebar
I found this lonely little county of Francia all the way off in the middle of Russia. I am not entirely... scratch that, I have no idea how that happened.
12272x.jpg

B1228.7 Ireland surrendered to Francia for its claim upon Glamorgan. Iolo Gwynllg was named Count of Glamorgan, and a war was declared upon the Kingdom of Wales by the Empire of Francia to press the claim of Count Iolo upon the crown of Wales.
12287.jpg

(Player’s Note: the Irish War really didn’t amount to much.)

B1229.2 Wales has surrendered its resistance to the Empire, and King Iolo sits on the throne of Wales as a vassal of Emperor Frederick the Holy.
12292.jpg

(Player’s Note: the Welsh War really didn’t amount to much.)
122922.jpg

B1229.3 The Emperor has directed that the region of Dalmietta to be brought within his control via holy war, as they have elected to revolt against the Fatamid.

B1229.7 The 4e daughter of Emperor Frederick was born, Orenna.

B1229.12 Pope Martin died, and the Conclave has raised Hormisdas I.

B1230.1 The Chancellor of the Empire of Francia has delivered gifts and tokens of recognition and peace between Francia and the Ilkhanate.
(Player’s Note: bribes to make the Khan like me, hopefully to keep him more interested in attacking others rather than me.)

B1230.2 Bishop Aimeric of Gaza, poor in physique, passed away. Bishop Marçau has taken over in Gaza, and Bishop Aldebert of Cuaxà has been named Court Chaplain.

B1231.4 The holy war for Dalmietta ended in victory for the Empire. The Emperor created the title of Duke of Dalmietta. Bishop Simon of Saramsah was raised to the rank of Archbishop of Dalmietta, ruling with Prince-Bishop Anfos of Gabiyaha and Prince-Bishop Odon of Pelusia.
[
12314a.jpg

COLOR="#FFA500"](Player’s Note: I hadn’t made any ruling bishops yet, seemed like time - that and I didn’t have any unlanded/no claim Corrino lords handy.)

B1231.5 Bishop Milo of Sanctus Columbae died naturally at 70, and was replaced by Bishop Bertrand. The King of Jerusalem has won a holy war for Tripoli.
123152.jpg

The Emperor’s niece Iolanda wed Barral Corrino, heir to the Kingdom of Aquitaine. Prince Rogier, son of the Emperor, was wed to Khadija bint Nuraddin of the Mehtarid.
12315.jpg

B1232.10 Mantins Prayers filled with concern for relief of the Emperor’s latest illness. The King of Jerusalem has declared a holy war for land and rights in the region of Damascus.
123210.jpg

C1232.12 Emperor Frederick the Holy of Francia, first of his name, was taken from this life to his Reward at 45, finally relieved of his Pox. May Francia ever be blessed by men no less than half as worthy. Long Live Emperor Frederick II.
123212.jpg

(Player’s Note: while the frequency of ‘ill’ may not be higher than normal, it sure feels like it for some reason. Maybe I should find some ‘strong’ brides to toughen up the blood.)

Interlude
What can you choose to negatively say about a man called ‘The Holy’? He maintained order following the death of his father, expanded the realm with ‘just’ holy wars, and by all accounts he was even a loving and devoted husband. He did seem to suffer the same frequency of illness as he ancestors, and he was ultimately taken by the Great Pox. So, he was as sickly as the line of Corrino ever was. It is hard to hold that personally against him, however.

Much has been written of the bravery and glory of Guilhèm and Rogier before him, but the reign of Frederick the Holy may have been the most important in the history of the House of Corrino. Rogier had created the Empire, and Frederick I stabilized it and gave it a vitality that all who came after were in a position to leverage.

Frederick, Emperor of Francia, Second of His Name, Duke of Barcelona, Heart and Shield of the Lords Corrino.

fredec.jpg

The first challenge for Frederick II was that, in an unusual twist, the crown of France was abdicated and lost when Frederick the Holy died. That is, following the ascension of Frederick II to Emperor he concurrently lost elective opinion of the voting Dukes for the crown of France, but no one actually retained the crown. (Why his father or grandfather never changed the French succession from elective during their reigns has never been clear.) All of those holding duchies remained loyal vassals, but over a dozen Counts became independent territories within the heart of France. The Emperor did not have enough de jure holding on French lands to re-form the title. The political situation was, as one can imagine, quite a confusing mess.
themess.jpg

(Player’s Note: I have been unable to determine exactly what the heck happened here. The crown election seemed to have been won by a member of the La Marche dynasty, but then it just vanished. I think, perhaps, the winner was un-landed and hence unable to keep the title without anything to anchor it, and it was released.)

The second challenge for Frederick II on the occasion of his ascension was his family. His wife was Countess Affraic of Teviotdale. His son, still in his minority, was heir to both the County of Teviotdale and Empire of Francia, and was being raised Scottish. The risk of disruption to the Occitan Empire of Francia seemed clear should a foreign Scotsman ascend. (The irony of this concern given the presumed Scottish origin of the family is not unappreciated.)
123212.jpg

The Emperor asked his lady wife to allow their son to be sent as a ward to a suitable Occitan noble of the House of Corrino, and she steadfastly refused. Promises of gold and support from the Emperor did not sway her.

(Player’s Note: after everything I’ve been doing for generations to spread Occitan throughout the rulers of Europe... it may end up being a bumpy ride. What’s worse, he is really a pretty crappy character trait-wise, which will only make it worse. But it is amusing that I inadvertently did this to myself - returning a Scots to rule amongst Occitans which is where I started this game.)

B1232.12 Emperor Frederick II decreed that the title of Duke of Bourbon was to be created, and then granted the title to Garcia de la Marche. The Emperor decreed that de jure lands of Francia should not remain unprotected by the just shield of the Empire. Soldiers of the realm were ordered to bring the counties of Bourbon, Chalon, Agen, Thouar, Eu, and Vendôme back into their rightful places within their liege duchies. The Marshal initially blanched at six wars at once, but was dispatched with his orders made abudantly clear by the Emperor. Ahmad ibn Ridwan was released of the Emperor’s dungeon.

B1233.1 Adhémar, brother of Emperor Frederick II, was wed to Duchess Orabilia II of Lothian.
Empress Affraic, Countess of Teviotdale, was found dead of a suspicious accident.
12331.jpg

Frederick, son of the Emperor, was inherited of the Countess and asked to go to Aquitaine and serve as ward under King Baral. Irulan, sister of Emperor Frederick II, was wed matrilineally to Waldeve a Muirrebe. The Emperor Frederick II of Francia was wed to Elisabeth von Babenberg, his step-mother.
12331b.jpg

Note: certainly a lot happened immediately at the start of the Frederick II’s reign. It is probably safe to say that Francia had something to do with Affraic’s death, even though no direct accusation was made or proof presented. It was just far too convenient. Regardless, the young count refused his guardianship anyway. But, in addition, there were two additional insular weddings, pointing to a continued strategy of incorporating the Isles into the realm. A bold, many-pronged assault to re-incorporate the lands of France was launched. And finally, we have the Emperor’s marriage to his step-mother, which - despite the endless supply of ribald humor and historical romance fiction it has spawned - remains an interesting choice by the new Emperor, and probably speaks more of her abilities and personality than anything.

B1233.4 The Emperor ordered the hiring of the Swiss Company, and held them as guards near the capital.
(Player’s Note: a rather notable independence faction needed to have it’s relative strength weakened by the military force of the mercenaries added to mine. I needed time to satisfy the Dukes and Kings that all would be well.)

B1233.8 Word has arrived that the pagan Mongols sacked Baghdad. Many say that the Muslims were getting their just desserts. Clearly the Council is concerned about a force that can move so far, so quickly. The county of Agen has surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Aquitaine.
12338.jpg

B1234.4 The county of Bourbon surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Bourbon.

B1234.8 Emir Mehtar II of Cairo declared a Jihad for Egypt.
12348f.jpg

B1234.9 The county of Vendôme surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Orleans. Sheikh Ridwan of Tobruk joined the Jihad. Emir Tayyib of Damascus did likewise. All the independant French counts pledged their aid to the Emperor in defense of the Jihad.

B1234.10 tax beggars

B1234.11 The 5e son of Emperor Frederick was born and christened Xavier. The county of Chalons surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Burgundy.
(Player’s Note: why are the genius sons always fifth born when you have primogeniture inheritance?)

B1235.1 The county of Thouars surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Poitou.

B1235.2 The county of Eu surrendered to the de jure control of the Duke of Normandy.
(Player’s Note: six county recapture wars complete, and six dukes quite pleased that their claims had been pressed. The Empire is stabilizing.)

B1236.7 Prince Salvador, half-brother of Emperor Frederick, was wed to a heathen, Al-Ata of the Mongols.
12367r.jpg

B1236.10 The Jihad to steal the lands of Egypt from the Emperor has failed, as the Emir surrendered his war.
(Note: clearly, many incidents are not recorded in the years 1235-6. History records the defense of Egypt against the failed jihad elsewhere, but clearly the current chronicler(s) cared little for news of distant battles and sieges.)
(Player’s Note: Queen Maior was reduced to only León, after losing Castille to her brother. Shame seeing my marriage maneuverings thwarted.)

B1236.12 The Chancellor of Francia made the rounds of the free counts of France, and by the end of the month they had all freely agreed to return to the Empire, all that is save the County of Paris, in the control of the Capets, that the Chancellor did not visit.
123612.jpg

B1237.2 The Lady Empress Elisabeth von Babenberg was murdered on the orders of Duke Clotaire I of Anjou. Halfdan of Orkeyjar was named Spymaster in her place.
12372.jpg

(Player’s Note: The duke may have hatched the act, but the plot was that of the Basilea of the HRE. The plot had tons of members - easily 15 and likely more. I was attempting to pry people out of it when it succeeded. I, reluctantly, did not retaliate in order to protect the vulnerable stability of the realm.)

B1237.2 Emperor Frederick was betrothed to the young Princess Ingeborg of England.

B1237.6 Prince Shaddam, half-brother of the Emperor, was betrothed to Duchess Alaïs of Poitou.

B1237.12 A representative of the Merchant Republic of Genoa visited the Emperor and made him a great gift. The Emperor announced a Grand Tourney and a Feast.

B1238.4 The Chancellor brought word of a rightful claim upon the County of Norfolk. Karel Flamens was announced the winner of the Emperor’s Tournament.

B1238.5 The Emperor declared a war for his rightful claim of County Norfolk on Aveline, Duchess of Norfolk and Queen of Scotland. Emperor Frederick II wed Ingebjørg Arnsdatter Yngling, Princess of England in a grand mass and ceremony that was the talk of all the realm.

B1238.12 Agata, the Emperor’s half-sister, matrilineally wed Prince Gwenwynwyn mac Iolo Tegaingl of Ireland.

B1239.2 Duchess Aveline surrendered her claim on County Norfolk. Prince Åmund installed in Norfolk as Count, and the Empire of Francia declared war upon the Kingdom of England for Prince Åmund’s claim upon the Crown of England.
(Player’s Note: as with Wales, land a claimant within his claimed lands, press, and absorb.)

B1240.1 The Lords of Francia agreed to the institution of Medium Crown Law. Duke Bernat-Ezi Corrino of Arabia made Marshal of Francia at the passing of King Florènç of Jerusalem.

B1240.3 The War with England concluded successfully, and King Åmund was crowned a loyal vassal of Frederick II.
12403.jpg

(Note: The D version mentions that Empress Ingebjorg's wise counsel aided in calming the reactionss of Fredercik in relation to church policy.)
12403b.jpg

(Note: again, the current chronicler(s) cared little for news of distant battles and sieges. Thankfully many other sources exist for the short, sharp war that brought England into the Corrino sphere thanks to the multiple revolts that had sapped the strength of the kingdom to resist Imperial force.)

B1240.6 Emperor Frederick has found a valued set of tomes in the libraries at Salusa, and has promised to provide them to the Church after he studies them.
14206c.jpg

B1240.9 The 1e daughter of Emperor Frederick was born and named Sança. The Emperor ordered a feast day named in honor of this daughter in praise of the Lord.

D1241.1 The final revolts against the crown of England are resolved with some Francian assistance, and King Åmund sits secure upon his throne.
12412e.jpg

B1241.3 Xavier, son of the Emperor, was sent as ward to Duke Tibaud III of Poitou.

B1241.7 The Emperor ordered that additional formations of soldiers be added to his retinue, in defense of the realm. Word has arrived from the East that the Mongol Golden Horde has invaded Europe.
12417.jpg

(Player’s Note: One each of shock, defense, cavalry, and skirmish )

B1241.10 King Åmund usurped York after several clashes of arms.

B1242.4 King Ugues of Jerusalem made Spymaster of Francia. A 6e son, Guilhèm, was born to the Emperor.

B1242.5 King Duran of Mauretania declared war in response to the excommunication of Duke Emir Yves II of Cordoba to unseat the impious Yves.
(Note: the D Version adds that “Rumor speaks that Count Frederick, son of the Emperor, plots his father’s demise.)
12425.jpg

(Player’s Note: and I’ve really come to recognize that young Frederick’s stats are horrible.)

B1242.6 The Lollard Heresy has appeared in La Marche. The Court Chaplain was dispatched immediately.

B1242.8 The Lollards have repented in La Marche.

A real Scot rule over Angevine Empire ! Breathtaking certainly but quite worrisome :p Iam sure that the Hordes will find their master with the Scotocccitan armies fall upon them :cool:

B1243.11 The Cathedral of Sanctus Columbae has been completed, and it is a wondrous glory to God that attests to the strength of Faith within the Bishopric and the Empire.

D1244.5 The Emperor paid the instigators of a burghers faction to leave the court free from their disturbances.
12445n.jpg

B1244.7 A 7e son, Almaric, was born to the Emperor.

D1244.12 The Emperor continues to behave most shamefully. May the Lord intercede.
124412.jpg

B1245.4 Emperor Frederick usurped the title of Duke of Ascalon as rightfully his own.

B1245.7 The Emperor’s half-sister Orenna matrilineally wed Prince Áedán mac Gwenwynwyn.

B1245.9 A representative of the Merchant Republic of Genoa visited the Emperor and made him a gift in recognition of the his greatness as Emperor in the West.

B1246.6 Duke Alphonse II of Murcia was named Chancellor.

B1246.7 A representative of the Merchant Republic of Venice visited the Emperor and made him a gift to rival that of Genoa some months ago.

B1246.9 Agata, half-sister to the Emperor, was re-wed matrilineally to Raineri Ventimiglia after her husband died.

B1247.5 Smolensk has been sacked by the Mongol Horde. May God grant the strength to resist the pagans.
12475.jpg

B1247.10 The 8e son, Ugues, was born to the Emperor.

B1248.1 Siobán nic Báetán, widow of King Iolo of Wales, arrived to court. The Emperor convinced her to wed Prince Shaddam, his half-brother.

B1248.3 Khadija bint Nuraddin died childless. Her widower, the Emperor’s half-brother Rogier, re-wed Ibakha of the Golden Horde.
12483.jpg

B1248.4 The Emperor’s son Guilhèm was sent to Bishop Adelbert of Cuaxà as his ward.

B1249.7 The Emperor denied the taking of an extra tithe from the peasantry to support the works of the Good Lord.
12497.jpg

Count Frederick, heir of the Empire of Francia, was most foully murdered.
(Player’s Note: well... no. I would never... no. How could you even?... I would never... well, yes. yes, I did...)

B1249.8 The Emperor’s grand-daughter, Agnes Corrino, and his grand-son, Thomas, were murdered by an uncouth villain.
12498.jpg

12498b.jpg

(Player’s Note: *hangs head* I was worried, young Frederick’s son was set to inherit and I panicked that the daughter would somehow muck things up (how I don’t know, agnatic-cognatic primogeniture afterall). And... All I ‘needed’ to kill was Thomas. Agnes should have been safe. Clearly I got carried away.

The heir is now Godfrey. He is still Scottish, but he is a much better in ability than Frederick, so hopefully there is hope.)

B1249.11 Pope Hormisdas I died, and the Conclave raised Damasus III in its divine wisdom.

B1250.8 Siobán nic Báetán Tegangl died. Her widower Shaddam rewed to Countess Winfrida of Stolp.

B1251.1 The Emperor’s son Xavier wed Homlaug Torgilsdattir.

B1251.5 Prince Xavier was named Court Chaplain.

B1251.7 The Mongols sacked Krakow. It is a black day for all Europe and Christendom.

B1252.2 Pope Damasus III has called for a holy Crusade to free Poland from the Mongols. The Emperor has delayed any discussion of joining the cause.
12523.jpg

B1252.7 Berenguer Corrino, King of León & Castille, requested the aid of Emperor Frederick the Great to put down a revolt against his rule. The Emperor agreed, and dispatched troops to the young king’s aid.
(Player’s Note: I’m not sure how the kid got both crowns back, but good on him.)

B1253.4 The Emperor’s 9e son, Aymeric was born. Truly the Lord has blessed the Emperor for such fruitful bounty.

B1253.9 Ibakha the wife of Rogier, half-brother of Emperor Frederick the Great, died of the slow fever. Rogier was remarried to Princess Hedwig von Babenberg of the Holy Roman Empire.

B1253.10 The Empire of Francia declined to join the Holy Roman Empire in a holy war.
(Note: The D Version includes some dissent, “Why our Lord and Emperor would so choose politics over his Holy Duty is unclear, but we pray for his wisdom and the Lord’s guidance.”)
125310.jpg

B1253.11 Castille’s revolt was won in favor of King Berenguer.
125311.jpg

B1254.8 Duke Alphonse died of severe stress, and was replaced as Chancellor by Arnault of Burgundy.

D1254.9 King Duran I of Mauretania died, and was inherited of Doumenge Corrino.

12567.jpg

B1256.7 The Emperor is taking great interest in the finances and coinage.
12567b.jpg

(Player’s Note: My chancellors have been camped out trying to get a foothold claim in Ireland for decades without luck. The Crusade in Poland is getting creamed. Frederick’s reign was getting dreary and quiet. Time for a change of pace. Let’s go crusading!)

B1256.7 Pope Damasus III has granted leave to Emperor Frederick the Great of Francia to join the Holy Crusade for Poland. The Emperor sent out the call for all his levies and liegemen to rally to the cause, and he hired the Templars and Knights Hospitaller to join him. May the Lord Bless the Commanders of Francia and the swords of all her brave sons.
12569.jpg

(Player’s Note: Yes, the Crusade is at -69% when I joined.)

B1256.9 The Emperor’s daughter Sança was wed to King Carles Corrino of Wales.

B1257.2 Word has arrived of a dreadful defeat of Francia by the Horde at Havelberg in Bradenberg.
12572l.jpg

B1257.3 More dreadful news arrived, as the armies of Francia suffered another horrid defeat at Oliva.
12573.jpg

(Player’s Note: I admit sheer panic and surprise. I had planned for my forces to arrive and stage in HRE lands, thinking I’d be safe away from the fighting in Mongol held Poland. While I was looking elsewhere in the realm, the Mongols surged across the borders and surprised me in a bit of smart AI maneuvering. I also discovered that the Golden Horde had called upon it’s Ilkhanate brethren to aid them in the defense of Poland. I was convinced it was all over but the screaming at this point as my hosts were getting destroyed piecemeal, and I nearly marched/sailed the remaining troops home.)

B1257.5 The Lord has granted victory on the field of arms at Gniezo to the armies of Francia.
12575.jpg

B1257.6 Again, great news, as Francia has smashed the joint armies of the Mongols at Oliva. Prince Hulega of the Ilkhanate and Chief Yedi are reported captured.
12576t.jpg

(Player’s Note: Whoohoo! I say. Lure them in and pile on the reinforcements. I managed to break their largest concentration in the region at this point, and the war did a 180° turn. Quite the rollercoaster of emotions in 3 months of game time.)
12576b.jpg

B1257.7 Another victory, this time at Briesen, where the High Chief Tolui I was killed. The Chancellor for Francia has presented a claim on lands in Ireland by Francia.
12577.jpg

(Player’s Note: about freaking time! stupid Irish diplomacy, *mutter*)

B1257.8 Victory granted to Francia in battle at Obrzycko.
Our Lord and Emperor has been delivered to the walls of occupied Poland by the Lord as a victorious Crusader!
12578.jpg

(Note: And here we discover, in contrast to earlier years, the chronicler in this period faithfully tried to report every bit of military news he could from the Crusade, likely passing over more mundane occurrences within the Bishoprics and houses of the ruling family.)

B1257.11 Victory granted to Francia in battle at Czerk.

B1257.12 Francia won the siege of Gniezo.

B1258.3 A target of the Crusade - Plock - was won in siege.
12583v.jpg

B1258.4 Francia won the siege of Czerk. The Mongols won the battle of Poznan. Prince Guilhèm, son of the Emperor, wed Princes Agniezka Piast of Poland.

B1258.6 Francia won the siege of Pruskow.

B1258.7 Francia won a battle at Gniezno, and captured Chief Jochi. Francia won the siege of Radom.

B1258.8 Francia won the battle of Jarocin, where Shaman Jochi of Satka was captured.

B1258.10 The battle at Glogow, where High Chief Ogodei was killed, was won by Francia. Francia won the sieges of Sieradz and Garwoln.

B1258.11 Francia won clashes of arms at Znin and Czerk. The Teutonic Order was hired by the Emperor.
125711.jpg

B1259.2 The Emperor’s son, Xavier, went to his father and requested a title but was reluctantly turned away as no suitable title was available.

B1259.3 Francia won the siege of Leczyka.

B1259.6 Francia was victorious in the field at Pruszkow.

B1259.7 The Emperor is known to have taken ill. All are concerned for his well-being.
Francia won the sieges of Radomsko and Lekno.

B1259.8 Jacwiecz fell in siege to Francia. The Mongols were defeated in battle at Garwolin.

B1259.9 Francia won the siege of Proheiczyn.

B1259.10 Francia won the siege of Glogow. The Emperor is recovered of his health, thank the Lord.

B1259.11 Francia won the siege of Frodno.
The Emperor and his son Xavier, are known to be at odds.
125911.jpg

B1260.1 Francia won the siege of Novogrudok.

B1260.2 An agent of venice has arrived to court to provide gold to the Empire. It will be of value in the Crusade.

B1260.3 Francia won the siege of Lyck.

B1260.4 Francia won the sieges of Kolno and Zirmuny.

B1260.5 Francia won the siege of Krosno.

B1260.6 Francia won the siege of Johannisberg. The Mongols were defeated in arms at Krakow.

B1260.7 Prince Amalric, the Emperor’s son, wed Princess Arsenda Corrino of Aquitaine. The Mongols were defeated in battle at Nowy Sacz.

B1260.8 Francia won the siege of Znin.

B1260.9 Francia won the siege of Beresty, and were victorious in the field at Johannisberg.

B1260.10 His Holiness, Pope Damasus III has passed from this world, and the Cardinals have named Pope Agatho II.

B1261.1 Francia won the siege of Kobryn.

B1261.3 Francia won the siege of Sejny. Soldiers of Francia defeated the Mongol at Legnica.

B1261.6 Francia won the siege of Beilsk.

B1261.7 Francia won the siege of Poznan. Francia victorious in a battle at Kruszwica where Rogier, the Emperor’s half-brother, was killed.
12617.jpg

B1261.9 Francia won the battle at Lekno.

B1261.10 Francia won the sieges of Peremyshl and Vladimir Volynsky..

B1261.12 The Empress is pleased at her husband's diligence and efforts to excel.
126110.jpg

B1262.1 The residents of the Sinai have embraced the Catholic faith. The populace of Barcelona have remained Catalan, but the Emperor insists on Occitan custom at court.
12621.jpg

B1262.3 Francia won the siege of Kholm.

B1262.5 Francia was victorious on the field of arms at Danzig and at Yaroslav.

B1262.6 Francia won the siege of Czarkow.

B1262.7 Francia won the siege of Minsk.

B1262.8 Francia won the battle of Beresty.

(Note: the extended gap in the chronicle from 1262 - 1264 has always been troubling. Extensive searches of multiple archives have never turned up any ‘missing’ records, however.)

(Player’s Note: A warscore glitch was preventing the successful conclusion of the Crusade - score had been stuck on 81% since 1258 - and I paused the game until a patch was released. After the patch, I played defensively and let the Pope and the GH negotiate a settlement to everyone’s satisfaction.)

B1264.6 Ugues Corrino, son of the Emperor, perished of an illness.

B1264.10 The crusade against the Mongols is won! King Stoignnicw I of Poland is restored to his lands!
The Lord is strong through his servant Frederick of Francia.
126410.jpg

B1264.12 War declared for the Emperor’s claim upon the Irish county of Tyrconnell.

Last edited:
B1265.6 A victorious clash of arms at Trim where Earl Gudbrand of Tyrconnell was captured by Francia.
12656k.jpg

B1265.9 Francia given the victory at Knockaulin.
12659l.jpg

B1265.11 Ireland surrenders its claim to Tyrconnell to Emperor Frederick.
126511.jpg

B1265.12 Prince Áedán of Ireland, loyal courtier of Emperor Frederick of Francia, is named Count of Tyrconnell.
(Player’s Note: Áedán was married to a Corrino matrilineally.)

B1266.1 Emperor Frederick declared his intention to enforce the claim of the throne of Ireland held by Count Áedán of Tyrconnel, Prince of Ireland, upon the Tadg, King of Ireland.

B1266.3 King Berenguer of Castile entreated the Emperor for his aid against foul revolts. The Emperor agreed.
126511.jpg

(Player’s Note: 1267 was a quiet year?)

B1268.3 The 3e Castilian Civil War to Lower Crown Authority was won by Castile.

B1268.4 Ireland surrendered to the Empire, Áedán named king and joins the Kingdom to the Empire.

(Note: This marks the high water mark of the Empire of Francia.)

(Player’s Note: Not that I knew that at the time. England had inherited, or usurped Norway, which I had not really noticed. And no. I do not know what I am doing sitting on all that money.)
12685t.jpg

B1268.7 Tadg Tegaingl usurped the title King of Ireland from Áedán.
(Player’s Note: Tadg seems to have immediately begun a faction to restore him to the throne when he was unseated. Áedán caved to what was probably a strong position by Tadg, and his inability to call on Frederick for aid. *shakes fist at Áedán and Tadg* Okay. It wasn’t that bad. Sure I lost the path to getting a Corrino on another throne, but Ireland remained in the Empire. Lesson learned, though. I probably should have taken some more permanent action against Tadg.

OTOH, that is one limitation of CK2 I hate... usurpation of a king within my empire should come for decision in my court and not be something I blithely ignore.)

B1269.4 The Portucalese War for Prince Hug’s claim on Castile ended, with Berenguer secure upon his throne.
(Player’s Note: Hug Corrino, Duke of Portucale, is the designated heir of Berenguer. Now he gets to sit in his dad’s dungeon. Stupid kids trying to inherit early.)

B1269.5 Xavier Corrino, son of the Emperor and Court Chaplain, died of stress. Guilhèm Corrino, also son of the Emperor was named the new Chaplain.
(Player’s Note: losing 2 sons in 5 years is not helpful.)

B1269.8 The dread Mongols have sacked Novgorod. May God grant his servants strength.

B1270.1 The Golden Horde declares a 2e Mongol Invasion of Poland. The Emperor pledges his aid to Poland’s defense and hires the Knights Hospitaller to aid his levies.
(Player’s Note: And this is where I discovered all my retinues were gone. I blame the recent patch.)
12701m.jpg

B1270.3 The Emperor is kind and generous with his attention amongst the ill within the court.
12703.jpg

B1270.6 Young King Hug beseeches the Emperor for aid in a succession crisis, and Francia agrees.
12706.jpg

(Player’s Note: So I helped fight off this kid earlier, and now he wants my backing against someone doing to him what he did to dad... the things I do for family...)

B1270.9 King Hug of Castile has held onto his crown by the will of Frederick of Francia.

B1270.11 The town of Corrinis in Barcelona is a bustling community of note, as is Amposta in Tarragona.
(Player’s Note: I finally spent the time and money to build some new cities.)

B1271.4 The Mongol heathens bested at Bielsk, where many were slain.
12713.jpg

B1271.5 Koprzywnica where the heathens were again defeated by the Empire.

B1271.6 Vladimir Volynsky where High Chief Jurchedei was captured and the heathen routed with losses in great number. Young Estève d’Agde was given mayorship of the new community of Ceret in Rosello.
12716.jpg

(Player’s Note: 200 years later and it is still fun to see the d’Agde family members around.)

B1271.8 The Mongols surrender and halt their invasion of Poland, Praise the Lord!
12718b.jpg

(Player’s Note: I must admit that I’ve never succeeded in beating the Mongols even once, and now I have beaten them in two wars. I could stop the game here and play no more and be completely happy.)

(Player’s Note: I guess 1272 wasn't anything to write home about either.)

B1273.11 The Lord is Wonderful! The Ilkhanate had declared faith in the Savior!
127311.jpg

(Player’s Note: it may be Nestorian, but it is the first time I’ve personally had the Ilk go Christian in one of my games. This could have significant impact on the GH and the fate of the Shia around Francia’s Jerusalem and Egyptian holdings.)

B1274.8 Pope Agatho died, and the Conclave has raised Silverius III.

B1276.9 A jihad for Egypt declared by Caliph Nuraddin I.
(Player’s Note: Speak of the devil.)

B1276.10 The Emperor accepted a bridal dowry for Sicilian Princes Heria of Sicily, who resided within the court.
127610.jpg

B1277.2 Mongols sack Kiev.
(Player’s Note: Ha! They can’t go further East through Central Europe, but they are still causing trouble.)

C1278.6 Emperor Frederick the Great of Francia, second of his name, Champion of Poland died at 73. Long Live Emperor Godfrey!
12786.jpg

It seems that even Mongols cam find their nemesis sometimes ...Your expansion seems unstoppable mate