• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darui

Second Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
Hello guys. Since my first (German) AAR went to easy and i have no interest in playing it anymore, i have decided to start another one. As the title says, i will be playing the Götterdämmerung (1944. start, 2 weeks after the D-Day) "scenario". I will try to hold out as long as possible and will play this AAR until the very end (Berlin, I guess). The AAR will be written in narrative style, in perspective of Erich von Manstein (i chose him because he didn't have any historical role after the March of 1944.). I will be using dialogues, diary entries and battle reports.
I will focus mainly on one army (with Manstein as corps commander) which will take part on the western front. What i haven't decided yet is should i hand over command of the eastern front to the Al at the very beginning or organise a better defensive line and then give up command. I haven't started the game yet so feel free to advise me.

Nation: Germany
Difficulty: Hard
Starting year: 1944
Version: TFH 4.01
House rules: No cheating, no reloading
Style: Narrative

~Table of contents~
(Updated on 12.06.2013.)

-1944.-

Chapter I: Battle of Normandy

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Chapter II: Summer awakening, planning

Part 1
Part 2 (With overview on production and cabinet)
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7 (Final plans)

Chapter III: Summer awakening, execution
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7

Last edited:
28tar8k.jpg

Intro: Erich von Manstein was Hitler's most brilliant general. He knew only for victories until the battles of Kursk and Ukraine. Hitler's constant interference in military strategy caused massive casualties for the Wehrmacht and possibly, lost the battles of Kursk and Ukraine. His argues with Hitler lead to his removal from army command. He was relieved on the 30th March on 1944.

Diary entry 1, 17th of June 1944

I just finished a conversation with Heinrich Himmler.
I was surprised he wanted to speak with me, because of my disagreement with Hitler.
At the beginning i thought he heard of my pleas to help to sustain allied invasion of France.
Hitler refused to see me so i hoped Heinrich persuaded him to change his opinion and give me command of troops fighting there.
I soon realized that was just an empty hope.
He indeed offered me command in Waffen SS , but only as a corps commander in newly forming army.
He said i will have "free hands" in planning, but because of Hitler, I am not permitted to command a larger unit, such as army.
I had to accept his offer, even if it means i won't command a regular formation.
Deutschland is in danger and i am not in use of siting home doing nothing.
I have already prepared some plans but until i arrive and get in touch with situation , i won't be able to finish them.

Erich von Manstein,
Corps commander in Waffen SS

Last edited:
u stole my idea is was about to do a 1944 germany aar huh:angry: however this looks great as i love germany 1944 aar's and there certainly a chllenge (I must hope ur up to it):D

u stole my idea is was about to do a 1944 germany aar huh:angry: however this looks great as i love germany 1944 aar's and there certainly a chllenge (I must hope ur up to it):D

I hope I am :) There is never enough challenging AARs so start your own anyway :D

Diary entry 2, 20th of June 1944

I have finally arrived to the front and been given command of the II. SS Panzerkorps, which is part of newly created 1st 'SS' Panzerarmy, along with the I. SS Panzercorps.
I am quite satisfied with being in command of a motorised formation.
Corps consists of 3 SS Panzer divisions and 1 reinforced heavy-tank (tiger) battalion.
Only division near the front is the 2. SS Pan-div. "Das Reich".
Other 2 divisions are near the old border and will take aprox 2 weeks to arrive.
I have recently sent letter to Fieldmarschal Erwin Rommel, commander of Army Group B, which is in charge of repelling allied invasion.
I have informed him of my plans and asked approval to immidiately begin operation.

Erich von Manstein,
Commander of the II. SS Panzerkorps

dgs5zq.jpg

Letter

To Fieldmarschal Erwin Rommel:

Hell is on us, my friend.
If allies are not pushed back in the sea anytime soon, Germany will fall in less than 6 months!
I have received Hitler's orders not to conduct any offensive operation until the II. SS Panzerkorps arrives but i am afraid we don't have time to wait for them.
Enemy is threatening our flanks and if we don't do something, some of our strongest division will be encircled at Falaise.
To counter this threat we have 2 options.
First one is to retreat from Falaise and establish new line of defence at Argentan.
This would help enemy breakout from Normandy and prevent us from launching counter-attack in order to drive allies back to the sea.
Second option is to launch a deadly counter-attack at enemy center, at the Carentan sector.
Enemy is focusing on our flanks and will be taken by surprise.
Successful attack would also split allied forces in Normandy in 2, thus disrupting their supply lines.
I am seeking your approval to start this operation as soon as possible, since i believe you understand military strategy more than that idiot in Berlin who ruined all our chances for a decisive victory. Deutschland is at stake, my friend.

300tvfs.jpg

I present you this picture, in order to help you understand the real situation.

Erich von Manstein,

There are V-1 missiles in Holland/Belgium that could be used to wreck the supply lines of the beachhead.

There are V-1 missiles in Holland/Belgium that could be used to wreck the supply lines of the beachhead.

That is exactly what i am going to do. :)

I will follow this one. What's your intention at all? World dominance asap?

I am afraid that is not possible. My intentions are to stabilize both fronts and survive as long as possible.

Last edited:
Rommel's Headquarters, Alencon, 21th of June 1944, 00:26

*FM Erwin Rommel, in charge of Army group B is having a meeting with commanders of the 1. SS Panzer army that is suppose to lead counter-attack against the allied beachhead. Meeting is taking place in his new headquarters at the Alencon. Participating in meeting besides Rommel: Paul Hausser, commander of the 1. SS Panzer Army | Sepp Dietrich, commander of the I. SS Panzerkorps | Erich von Manstein, commander of the II. SS Panzerkorps*

Erwin: Gentleman, i am delighted all of you managed to come here as soon as possible. I have received your letter Erich. Your plan is bold but it has to be discussed. We are currently in shortage of man to conduct any larger operation. I am aware we are able to quickly penetrate allied defenses at Carentan but what concerns me is what to do next. We seriously lack fresh troops to eliminate allied pocket. Also, we must not underestimate allied air superiority. Their bombers could stop our attack at the very beginning.

Paul: I understand your concerns, Fieldmarschal. I am also afraid what will happen if our troops fail to achieve a breakthrough. There would be a serious consequences.

Sepp: There is no doubt we can break their lines, with element of surprise of course. I guarantee for my men (of I. SS Panzerkorps) and propose attack to be carried with 4 panzer divisions, 3 of the I. SS Panzerkorps and the "Das Reich" division of II. SS Panzerkorps. SS "Hitlerjugend" is to lead the main thrust, since it will have a tiger battalion attached.

Erich: I agree.

Paul: Me too.

Erwin: I am still afraid of enemy bombers. 300 fighters are not nearly enough to support our operation.

Erich: True. They can only support us during the attack, which is the most important. After we break their lines, we will dig in and wait for the II. SS Panzerkorps to arrive. This will give enough time for fighters from the Netherlands to redeploy and organize. Those 7-10 days will be hellish, but we have no other options. I have also taken in question enemy counter-attack coming from direction of Caen. There will certainly be "one" and that is exactly what we are going to use in our advantage. Caen with its port is allied main supply zone and capturing it would effectively delay allied plans.

Paul: I see what you are planning, Erich. If allied launch a counter--attack from Caen, it will be their doom.

Erwin: On every counter-attack we must respond with our own counter-attack. We must play "Cat and mouse" game until the reinforcements arrive. I will order the 7. Army to prepare for offensive operations. Defense of Carentan will be supported by 2 of 4 divisions currently entraped at the north. I have also requested additional reinforcements from the OKW. Few divisions are on its way. Since we are overpowered, I trust in the morale and readiness of the man from Waffen SS. That is the main reason why Hitler had chosen you to repel the allied invasion.

Sepp: My men have won many battles in the east and would all die for Deutschalnd. If we lose this battle, it is not going to be because of them. They are the best we have.

Erwin: I believe that my friend. Erich, you must devise a plan for the final elimination of pocket as soon as possible. Gentleman, order your men to prepare. The offensive is starting at the morning!

Last edited:
Great update! :cool: I have played a few games as Germany 1944 I have found its quite easy to defeat Normandy and Italy if u focus in them (if that helps)

Thanks :) Eastern front is under Al control so you could say i am quite focused :D

Diary entry 3, 23th of June 1944

The offensive has just begun (05:00).
Unfortunately, it had to be postponed for this date, even if it was planned to begin in the morning of the 21th of June.
Attack was stopped only one hour before it should begin due to strict Hitler's orders.
We were instructed by the OKW to wait for his approval.
It took 2 days for him to consider plans and finally approve the operation.
He flew directly to our headquarters in order to personally lead the operation.
If he gets involved, we risk a bitter defeat, like at Kursk.
Although, things are not so dire.
We had a meeting and from what I heard, he seems to understand the situation, unlike at Kursk.
This is my last entry from the headquarters in Alencon.
I am temporary moving to a headquarters of the "Das Reich" division, near the front.

Erich von Manstein,
Commander of the II. SS Panzerkorps.

33e32g2.png

(Meeting with Adolf)

Report to the Army group B headquarters by General Mayer, commander of the SS "Hitlerjugend". (09:36)

So far we encountered only light resistance. Allies seem to be caught by a surprise. My division with Tigers is spearheading the attack at the central sector, supported by the Das Reich division. 2. Panzer division is advancing on the left flank, while 21. Panzer division is advancing on the right flank. Only the 21. P-div. encountered a tougher resistance. It was attacked by elements of 2 mechanised and 1 armored division. Attack was repulsed, with light casualties. Shermans were no match for Panthers spearheading the attack. Shermans seem to be useful only in large formation, where they outnumber our tanks by at least 3 to 1. Division headquarters reported only 4 unrecoverable losses while enemy's are counted in dozens. I request further instructions. Over and out.

2vi4flv.jpg

Report to the Army group B headquarters by General Mayer, commander of the SS "Hitlerjugend". (21:56)

The prolonged battle has finally ended. We are currently counting our losses, but I estimate they are not very high. After initial disaster, enemy managed to regroup and organize a fierce counter attack. We were attacked at the whole front, by combined arms of 6 enemy divisions (of which 3 armored). The hardest attack came at the our, central sector. I estimate that more than 800 vehicles of various kinds attacked us. We organized our defense on a hill, that was first captured by brave grenadiers. Then, luckily, a reconnaissance aircraft spotted large enemy formations moving towards the hill. We quickly organized our tanks in a "panzerkill" formation, with Tigers at the spearhead. We were able to repulse wave after wave. Main enemy thrust came at the forest, on the left flank of the hill, where our tanks couldn't support the grenadiers. But, the Americans weren't a match for soldiers who fought the Russians for more than 2 years. When enemy attacks finally stopped, "Das Reich" division showed up and started advancing. Enemy had been worn down, so their positions were quickly overrun. This sudden advance relieved pressure from our flanks, forcing enemy to retreat across the whole front. They even managed to capture few Shermans. Now we are preparing for the exploitation phase. I have received your orders and won't begin attack until the dawn. Over and out.

Hauser's report to the OKW, 24th of June, 23:05

One hour ago, our troops met with our isolated garrison. This can mean only one thing. Allied lines are completely broken at the Carentan sector and their beachhead is now divided in 2. Most of fighting happened on the 1st day. Enemy used cover of darkness to safely retreat after losing the battle of the Hill 207'. More than 400 vehicles were burned. 2347 men remained on the battlefield. Our losses are rather light. We had only 127 killed and few hundred wounded. Unfortunately, in order to win this battle, Luftwaffe had to fight an unfair battle. We lost 196 fighters! One entire wing was destroyed after suddenly being attacked by more than 500 allied fighters. Those brave men didn't die for nothing. Fearsome allied bombers showed up on the battlefield only for few times. I have issued order to division to dig in and prepare for allied counter-attack. I have also instructed commanders to hide their vehicles, since they won't have cover from the luftwaffe anymore.

General Paul Hausser,
Commander of the 1. SS Panzer army.

34qmjiw.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm subscribed!! go ahead!

Diary entry 4, 26th of June 1944, 11:36

Expected enemy counter-attack began at the dawn.
Only 2 panzer divisions were able to completely move to Carentan and establish a defensive line, while other two were attacked on the half way.
That is not a problem, since main enemy thrust is directed towards the now weakened Falaise sector.
Allies want to deny our latest victory by encircling the force that carried out the attack, along with the 4 divisions that were trapped before.
Paul ordered that 2 of those divisions start moving towards Carentan, in order to assist panzers.
Luftwaffe is licking its wounds, which is allowing allied bombers to bomb Falaise, a wave after wave.
Situation is very dangerous because enemy attacked from 2 sides.
I have been summoned to Rommel's HQ to decide what to do next.
My plane takes off in 15 minutes.

Erich von Manstein,

Diary entry 5, 26th of June 1944, 15:13

As expected, it was decided to immediately launch counter attack, directed at the Caen sector.
Currently, we can not employ more than 4 infantry divisions but they will be joined with one panzer division in the later stage of attack.
Attack will be launched from eastern and south-eastern sides.
Enemy has 6 divisions there, but many are currently attacking Falaise and Carentan and won't be able to defend.
This is exactly what we are going to use in our advantage.
Hopefully, this attack will relieve pressure from our boys at Falaise and save the day.
Biggest problem is presence of enemy tanks at the region, but it will take time from them to abandon their attack and return to help in defense.
Regarding air support, command hasn't allowed yet to redeploy fighters from the Netherlands saying they are needed to intercept allied strategic bombers.
They sworn to send them when we begin the elimination phase.
2 divisions and a reinforces tiger battalion of the II. SS Panzerkorps are on its way.
They are currently 150 km south-east of Paris.
With they arrival, we will begin the final, elimination phase.
Few panzergrenadier divisions are also on its way.
We just hope that this build up of forces will remain secret.

Erich von Manstein,

Hausser's report to the OKW, 27th of June, 09:00

Attack on Caen sector really accomplished its objective. Divisions from Falaise reported they were able to regain some lost ground to the east. What is more important, even troops assaulting Caen managed to gain some ground. They managed to break enemy lines, after fierce fighting. Enemy was completely unprepared for defensive operations and this offensive surprised them all. They are closing around the city of Caen itself, but enemy tanks are threatening to cut off the vanguard. Our divisions are not equipped with sufficient anti-tank weapons and entrance of panzer division into the battle is vital. I am afraid that enemy constant counter-attacks will push our men back allowing the enemy to continue their attack at Falaise. I have instructed commander to attack on the whole front, since enemy tanks can't show up everywhere. If they stop our attack at one sector, our advancing forces will cut them off by advancing in other sector. So far, we have been successful but it will work only before we reach the city. It is impossible to fight enemy armor supported by infantry in narrow streets. I have given order to encircle the city and wait for our panzers to arrive. Over and out.

Paul Hausser.

dw2drs.jpg

(Picture was taken on the beginning, odds are much better now :) )

Last edited:
Thanks for update!! this kind of detail es not usual in an AAR (exception given to both Uriah's AAR, which I recomend people to read)

Thanks for update!! this kind of detail es not usual in an AAR (exception given to both Uriah's AAR, which I recomend people to read)

Actually, AAR which inspired me to write in this style is this one. It is worth reading :)

Long update is in writing process so stay tuned :) I am sorry for not posting in last few days, I didn't have enough time...

Long update is in writing process so stay tuned :) I am sorry for not posting in last few days, I didn't have enough time...

Don't worry, RL is a Tyrannt

Don't worry, RL is a Tyrannt

Quite so...

Diary entry 6, 28th of June 1944, 05:43

The offensive has entered a decisive phase.
Our attack on Caen by 4 infrantry divisions was stopped in suburbs.
Our men are now fighting a close-quarter battle for every house in narrow streets.
In our disadvantage, enemy has a healthy amount of tanks and other armored vehicles which often leads to enemy regaining previously lost ground.
Battles are fierce with heavy casualties on both sides.
Most of fighting is concentrated at the port.
Our troops were able to seize it in surprise attack but since then, enemy is directing most of its forces there.
That port is vital for city supply and they won't have an opportunity to escape if the battle is lost.
General Lammerding devised an operation code named "Wotan".
It's goal was, of course, encirclement and destruction of Allied forces in Caen.

30k35mh.jpg

(situation on the 28th of June, prior to the beginning of the operation)

Main attack was to be carried by the 344. and 346. infantry divisions and would be directed at the allied flanks.
344. would launch its attack from the port, in 3 directions.
One group would follow the coastline, while other two would strike in order to encircle the city.
They should meet with the troops of the 346. in the village of Cairon.
Two divisions fighting in the city itself would also launch fierce attacks in order to tie up more allied troops there.
Final phase involves final destruction of encircled troops with help of Lammerding's panzers ("Das Reich" division).
116. Panzer division had the task to support the operation, but they couldn't move their tanks due to luck of fuel.
Attack will be carried only by infantry.
I am personally satisfied with this plan.
I am only afraid of Allied bombers, they can't do much in the city itself, but flanking attacks would be carried across open land, which might be a problem.

Erich von Manstein,

Diary entry 7, 3rd of July 1944, 20:31

Operation "Wotan" ended in failure.
It accomplished some goals but failed to completely isolate allied troops in Caen.
It's beginning was very promising.
Initial engagements took heavy toll on allies and resulted in penetrating their lines of defense.
After achieving a breakthrough, battle groups proceeded with their objectives.
Only troops fighting in the city had hard time.
They were able to gain some ground but with heavy casualties.
Allied counter-attack pushed them back at their starting positions and almost broke their lines.
This was not a decisive moment.
Sudden counter-attack by the 11th Armored division on the advancing forces if the 344. infantry stopped the whole operation.
Southern group was able to reach Cairon but this counter-attack spearheaded by about 100 tanks ruined the chances of decisive victory.
Attack was so fierce that it almost enabled Allies to recapture the port itself and destroy entire divisions of the German army.
Only reinforcements from the 348. inf. div. saved the day.
Allies were able to secure and maintain a small corridor through they could flew in supplies.

1j2dqw.jpg

(Gains and allied counter-attack)

At the same time with the Battle of Caen, another decisive engagement was taking place at Carentan.
2 Panzer divisions supported by 2 infantry divisions had a hard time in defending Carentan against 4 enemy divisions.
2 of them were armored (one with heavy tanks) and 2 mechanised, while our panzer divisions had been worn down in previous fights.
Formations of allied bombers flew sortie after a sortie and engaged our troops on the ground.
This was countered by 400 messerschmitts, redeployed from the Netherlands, appearing on the skies.
Still, even without air support, enemy was pushing us back.
Their divisions were simply better equipped and unlike us, had enough fuel.
V1 strikes were launched against allied fuel and supply depots, buy many of them were hidden so their troops had enough fuel and supplies to fight for days.
Luckily, our troops in Falaise managed to end the battle just in time so reinforcements were sent immediately sent.
"Hitlerjugend", with a heavy-tank battalion was sent to Carentan, while finally, "Das Reich" was able to attack allied forces in Caen from the back.
This was the decisive moment.
Allies quickly abandoned their attack at Carentan, while "Das Reich" closed the small corridor in Caen, encircling the city.
After that, the final elimination phase began.
Battles lasted for 2 days.
Allies were able to put up a stiff resistance.
But this time, we had the panzers, while most of their were destroyed in previous fighting.
They surrendered at the midnight of the 3. July.
We sustained about 1800 killed, 6453 wounded and 267 missing.
We also lost 24 tanks (3 Panthers, 12 Pz. IVs, 9 Pz. III's) and 56 mechanised transports.
Allies lost 6 divisions, numbering about 60.000 men.
This was a great victory.
What comes next will deal even harder blow to the Allies.
Their beachhead shall be crushed!

Erich von Manstein,

30ac95s.jpg

Rommel's report to Hitler, 9th of July

Mein Fuhrer,
I am pleased to inform you that allied beachhead at Normandy was crushed.
Last remnants of their forces have surrendered and our troops are currently taking positions on the beaches which were lost a month ago.
Our attack was lead by the "Hitlerjugend" division with and was able to first cut off Allies from the sea thus preventing their retreat.
This was accomplished by capturing the St. Lo region and its beaches.
Allied forces then retreated to Granville, hoping for help which never came.
Their supply depots were lost and they could only be supplied by air.
In the final battles, allied bombers inflicted heavy casualties on us but that is irrelevant since 189.000 finest allied soldiers were captured.
British 2nd and American 1st army, totalling as many as 300.000 men were destroyed in just 3 weeks!
This was theirs Stalingrad!

3482df6.jpg

Diary entry 8, 10th of July 1944, 20:31

Allied beachhead was crushed.
Honestly, i didn't expect so easy and quick victory.
My plan worked perfectly but that was not enough for Hitler to give me command of an Army.
Hausser took all the credits for this operation.
I am really dissapointed, but not surprised.
What else could be expected from that idiot (Hitler).

Of my corps, only the "Das Reich" division saw heavy combat.
Other 2 divisions never arrived at time to participate in fighting.
1st SS Panzer army was reorganized and it now consist of only SS troops.
Also, "LSSAH" division was added to my corps, which now consist of 4 panzer divisions and 1 reinforced tiger battalion.
We have been ordered to start moving towards Italy.
Our next offensive will surely take place there.
Russian began their operation code named "Bagration" at the east so we will have to achieve a quick victory in Italy if we want to save the east.
They are in desperate need of troops, especially panzers.
I just hope we will make it in time.

Erich von Manstein,
Commander of the II SS. Panzerkorps.

16lfur5.jpg

(Main Soviet assault is directed towards Romania and Hungary, aiming for their oil fields (Ploesti and Balaton).)