• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sweet, will do. Next on the agenda is adding unmapped/ bad match kingdoms in then maybe decisions depending on how many there are. Did you actually manage to get the country generation sorted then, or is it just a preliminary setup?

Well, I need to get localization (for the country names) and ruler names in place before a release, but it does generate tags and country files (with the correct colors even!). Fortunately, this is something I can work on when I'm too frustrated/depressed to keep figuring out army.navy stuff. I'm so not cut out to be a systems engineer…

Oh! One thing if possible, put all the new EU3 countries in a new section at the bottom of countries.txt, just so its clear that they're from the (prepepared) mod.

Pure awesome thank you so much used the latest converter and everything worked perfectly thanks again!

Although with that said it crashes when I hover over the Centre of Trade button on the province screen. Mostly because there isn't any maybe you just should put the default CoT's in?

Glad that was resolved. You are correct in that the crash is from the lack of CoTs. They should start appearing after you run the game a little, though. We'll eventually do something about that, but it's slated for a later release.

Well, I need to get localization (for the country names) and ruler names in place before a release, but it does generate tags and country files (with the correct colors even!). Fortunately, this is something I can work on when I'm too frustrated/depressed to keep figuring out army.navy stuff. I'm so not cut out to be a systems engineer…

Oh! One thing if possible, put all the new EU3 countries in a new section at the bottom of countries.txt, just so its clear that they're from the (prepepared) mod.

Will do. Oh, and when I have updates I'll upload my mod separately, so that there's no confusion over files etc. It just seems a simpler solution.

Is there a way to easily change a nation's tag to something else (in the savegame) without messing with anything else? For example, switching a giant Liege created by the converter into Karaman, while keeping its Turkish culture and Zikri religion.

Last edited:
Is there a way to easily change a nation's tag to something else (in the savegame) without messing with anything else? For example, switching a giant Liege created by the converter into Karaman, while keeping its Turkish culture and Zikri religion.

If you haven't started playing yet, the easiest thing is to add a new rule to the country mappings and reconvert. If you have started playing, some cautious use of find/replace in notepad++ should do it.

I'm getting a crash, with a vanilla save game.

After "setting EU3 religions", it says:

"Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt"

Then it does more parsing and importing and setting up and converting. The very last line is "Converting Provinces." Then it crashes.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, I see the error message in the FAQ saying I can ignore it, but I'm still getting a (apparently unrelated?) crash after "Converting Provinces"

Double Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. User error. ;c)

Last edited:
I'm getting a crash, with a vanilla save game.

After "setting EU3 religions", it says:

"Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Europa Universalis III - Complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt"

Then it does more parsing and importing and setting up and converting. The very last line is "Converting Provinces." Then it crashes.

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong? Thanks!

EDIT: Okay, I see the error message in the FAQ saying I can ignore it, but I'm still getting a (apparently unrelated?) crash after "Converting Provinces"

Double Edit: Never mind, I'm an idiot. User error. ;c)

It happens to all of us sometimes. Especially with something like this that takes a bit of configuration.

Just want to thank you for all of the hard work on this. Playing a hands-off game, CK2 all the way to HOI3. Right now I'm towards the end of EU3, watching Pisa, Genoa, and Jerusalem duke it out for control of North America. ;c)

Just want to thank you for all of the hard work on this. Playing a hands-off game, CK2 all the way to HOI3. Right now I'm towards the end of EU3, watching Pisa, Genoa, and Jerusalem duke it out for control of North America. ;c)

Thank you. I've been feeling burnt out/discouraged lately, so any encouragement is very nice.

Out of curiousity; how tightly tied together is the "import ck2 save" and the "export eu3 save" parts of the converter? Once EU4 is released, could the latter be replaced by a new module that supports the sequel instead?

Out of curiousity; how tightly tied together is the "import ck2 save" and the "export eu3 save" parts of the converter? Once EU4 is released, could the latter be replaced by a new module that supports the sequel instead?

There are really three pieces, not two: Read and model CK2 data, convert CK2 model to EU3 model, and model and write EU3 data. We try to keep it pretty modular (in fact, quite a bit of code is shared with EU3ToVic2 and Vic2ToHoI3). Swapping out the "writing" bit with an equivalent for EU4 is not a big deal. The harder problem is that the EU4 model is likely to be different in a way that impacts conversion itself...in other words, the mechanics that we choose to convert to will in some cases no longer exist, and new mechanics will exist as well, so we'll need new rules to convert them.

Here's an example: Diplomatic relations between rulers in CK2 are currently converted to diplomatic relations between nations in EU3. There's a bunch of code that examines modifiers and family trees and statistics and so on to come up with the relation score in CK2 terms. Then there's code that processes the relations between individuals (which are different from A to B and from B to A) and turns them into relations between the countries they rule (which are symmetric). Then there's a last batch of code that propagates those relationships into the appropriate place in the EU3 file. The first bit of code can be reused as is for a hypothetical CK2ToEU4 converter. The second bit CAN'T...because in EU4, diplomatic relations are non-symmetric! So we need to come up with new rules for converting it (in this case, trivially). And the third bit will likely need to change as well, because EU4 files are probably going to be organized somewhat differently.

So the whole process of figuring out what CK2 mechanics convert into what EU mechanics will have to be gone through again for EU4. Sometimes they'll be similar to EU3, other times they'll be different. And all the mappings will need to be redone, since EU4 will have different provinces, nations, religions, and cultures. Will it be easier to start from CK2ToEU3 than to start from scratch? Yes. Will it be trivial? No.

Hello! I'm trying to convert a save for the converter mod from a Ck2+ save. Having followed the instructions and used the Ck2+ patch, the program runs but eventually crashes on "Converting provinces". Halp!

The instructions may be in error, and if so it's my fault for forgetting to mention this issue.

I don't believe the converter reads mods properly. What I did was create a backup CK2 folder, installed CK2plus over vanilla - NOT in the mod directory - in that folder, and pointed the converter to that backup CK2 folder to convert my games.

Okay, so I copied my Ck2 folder, then installed Ck2+ into the base Ck2 folder overwriting as necessary yada yada. Then I told the converter to convert from the copied Ck2 folder.

Now the converter crashes at "Getting opinion modifiers".

Hello, having some problems converting my empire of francia save to EU3, have tried both with and without the converter mod, and both of them produce a problem where I start EU3 with -100 prestige, 0 manpower and sometimes as a muslim technology group... And also with the converter mod all the Coat of Arms end up being black, and yes I have tried solving the last one using the same method as with the base game where you delete flagfiles.txt and the other flagfiles file, or whatever it is called...

Besides that "minor" problem this project is quite awesome :) So thank you to the creators

Edit: And I also forgot to mention that I am not able to create Norway as a vassal, since only I, France, have cores on the norwegian lands, eventhough I only got them in the last 10 or 20 years of my CK2 game :/

Last edited:
Negative prestige is (I think) a result of EU3 taking away cores that the converter granted. Starting manpower and miltary units are what's currently driving the boss to despair. With the default tech conversion option, it's very possible to end up muslim, especially if you own most of the map and thus are close to the map average tech level. If you try the cultural tech conversion option, you'll get a CTD during conversion. So tech conversion has been driving me to despair. No clue about the CoAs or Norway. So the short answer is, we're working on all those, but not there yet.