• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What a great start, very well done on the early grab of Gibraltar and Portugal. Looking forward to future episodes.

Thanks very much!

The Portuguese fleet is two first rate ships-of-the-line lighter after a scrap on March 10. I decide to mix it up with the British again -- I've got 13 ships in my fleet to their 6, and I have more first rate ships of the line. Let's dance!

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues. (I'm a massive Bowie fan ;))

A very nice start to the AAR proper - so much for Gib' being an impenetrable fortress... And good to see Portugal subdued so quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Things are setting up nicely on the European front (I think - I'll join you in the 'I don't know what I'm doing' boat ;)) which gives me high hopes for the next few updates.

Put on your red shoes and dance the blues. (I'm a massive Bowie fan ;))

A very nice start to the AAR proper - so much for Gib' being an impenetrable fortress... And good to see Portugal subdued so quickly.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. Things are setting up nicely on the European front (I think - I'll join you in the 'I don't know what I'm doing' boat ;)) which gives me high hopes for the next few updates.

Thanks for the kind words! Do you even own the game? (I don't see an icon for it.) If you don't, it's a pretty good use of $20, in my opinion.

Thanks for the kind words! Do you even own the game? (I don't see an icon for it.) If you don't, it's a pretty good use of $20, in my opinion.

If only - the older version of the Clauswitz Engine used renders it incompatible with my Mac. To be perfectly honest, I'd buy it simply to get one of those avatars ;)

Well you're off to a great start. I'm surprised Gibraltar fell so quickly. I've seen it besieged for years with little progress.

If only - the older version of the Clauswitz Engine used renders it incompatible with my Mac. To be perfectly honest, I'd buy it simply to get one of those avatars ;)

Too bad.

Well you're off to a great start. I'm surprised Gibraltar fell so quickly. I've seen it besieged for years with little progress.

If I hadn't assaulted it, who knows how long it might have taken?

Well done both on the progression of your plans and the AAR.

Well done both on the progression of your plans and the AAR.

Thanks!

So, I played tonight... a lot. :) Slowly figuring out what to do, what not to do, etc. I've got enough material for three new updates, so the adventures of Spain could resume as early as Tuesday.

Lovely to see it underway! Good job so far :)

IIRC, you need to be at peace to win the game so even though Gibraltar counts towards your dominance, it actually does not.

IIRC, you need to be at peace to win the game so even though Gibraltar counts towards your dominance, it actually does not.

You may be right.

Good work, I failed as Spain so I am very eager to see you get down and dirty and trump those all powerful french despite your land border. Also, I remember in my Ottomans game I won by simply charging through France right at the end so I don't think you need to be at peace to win the game as Athacor mentioned, at least in the early versions. Who knows what they might have patched in since then?

Good work, I failed as Spain so I am very eager to see you get down and dirty and trump those all powerful french despite your land border. Also, I remember in my Ottomans game I won by simply charging through France right at the end so I don't think you need to be at peace to win the game as Athacor mentioned, at least in the early versions. Who knows what they might have patched in since then?

I've never played a game to completion, so who knows? :)

Chapter 2: A Sicilian holiday

Before we begin properly, let's take a look at Spain again.

overviewagain.jpg

I must say, I find that French presence very unsettling. It's ominous how they just kind of sit there and do nothing. If we weren't on the same side, I'd be worried about an invasion! At least they can't stab me in the back while we're fighting the Brits.

June 1805

I sink a couple of Russian transports; sure, it's no reverse Trafalgar, but it makes Russia that much weaker. I build a depot in Aranjuez to help out supply a little bit (since the French are so graciously eating most of my food.) In case the Brits try to retake Gibraltar, I order my army there to hide in the fort. I am despondent that I can't permanently close the straits, ala HOI3.

August 1805

I get my next idea!

idea2j.jpg

I've got half an eye on France at all times, and this idea in particular will be quite handy if/when I do get into conflict with them. The Spanish officially arrive in theater on the 22nd, eager to fight Sicily.

spainarrives.jpg

Note France has beaten me there -- that makes sense, they have less distance to travel. My troops make a beeline straight for Napoli.

September-October 1805

By mid October, both Napoli and Taranto have fallen to Spanish troops. That leaves only the island itself, and I send over my fleet to force the straits open.

openingthestraits.jpg

November 1805

Troops split up and siege Palermo and Messina, keeping a wary eye on Malta.

sicilyundersiege.jpg

The British catch my navy off guard; I lose a First Rate Ship-of-the-Line and what's worse, I won't be able to get my troops out of Sicily for a while. Messina falls at the end of the month, leaving only Palermo. Meanwhile, Russia takes a huge bite out of Persia:

russiawinsabouttofeelpa.jpg

Britain also took Bremen from France, giving them another Land Dominance objective.

January 1806

Palermo falls in December, but it takes the French diplomats a while to get off their butts and make peace.

sicilyout.jpg

I also beat Lord Nelson on 20 January! Sure, I lost three ships of the line to one of theirs, but it says "VICTORY" at the top of the screen, so I'll take that.

March 1806

Egypt is absorbed by the Ottoman Empire:

egyptgoine.jpg

Sweden joins the British coalition, which means more ships for me to fight. I swear, France has done virtually nothing with their navy.

July 1806

Britain takes Denmark out of the war (with Swedish assistance):

denmarkbeaten.jpg

September 1806

I get a nasty surprise; the British have 40k troops in Melilla! The fortress is sturdy, but unless I can get some troops there, the British will almost surely take it.

November 1806

Two new ideas -- I've been trading ships with the British, and suffering from the exchange. It's clear at this stage that I need to be the naval power of this coalition, so I take ideas to help.

twomoreideas.jpg

I also crank out some horse artillery and transports. Speed is more important in North Africa than raw power, so the horse artillery should be very useful.

December 1806

I don't want to attack the British from the sea directly. If I'm to throw them out of Melilla, I need to land elsewhere. Since the only "elsewhere" belongs to Morocco, my choice is clear:

inforapenny.jpg

Another short update, but this next one should be much more substantial. I'm looking at a weekend release, probably.

Take one enemy out of the war, lose an ally, and gain a new foe. One step forward, two steps back.:rolleyes:

At least now you are sure to get some Moroccan territory out of this. Connect your African holdings if you can; Morocco is probably going to be useless as a vassal if the naval war keeps up.

Take one enemy out of the war, lose an ally, and gain a new foe. One step forward, two steps back.:rolleyes:

At least now you are sure to get some Moroccan territory out of this. Connect your African holdings if you can; Morocco is probably going to be useless as a vassal if the naval war keeps up.

Good advice; now, the question becomes, will I follow it. ;)

I'm disappointed you didn't include the screenshot of your victory over Lord Nelson. I need visual proof before I start throwing the confetti around. :p