• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ikarases

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jul 2, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
The Die-Hard Defense - Belgelands 1936 AAR

author: Ikarases
start date: unknown
nation: Belgelands (BeNeLux or Hollandium), 1936
version: FTM 3.06/HPP 3.0.0
difficulty: normal
aim: survive
style: my own/everything​

Since my Soviet AAR is stagnating for a while and I´m not in the mood to write updates about the development, I´ll at least unofficialy (well, it should be official, but I´m not playing two games at once, you can count on that) start my newest AAR project - Belgelands. Those, who were faithfully waiting for a Chinese AAR won´t be disappointed neither; if you remind me at some point. Otherwise I´ll do some retarded modifications and play Austria + Switzerland fighting for the Allies or something (I´ve suddenly realized naming the result Austria-Switzerland might break the forum rules).

First (and possibly last; I don´t want Wilhelmina, Leopold III and Charlotte flipping a coin to decide who will be the leader) introduction chapter (which will just show you how does Belgelands look like & some basic planning) will be out any minute now, unless I´ll get seduced by playing RA3, MoW or ME3.

I should get working on the first update, Simpsons start in 25! Expect GIMPed pictures! :)

Last edited:
First (and possibly last; I don´t want Wilhelmina, Leopold III and Charlotte flipping a coin to decide who will be the leader) introduction chapter (which will just show you how does Belgelands look like & some basic planning) will be out any minute now, unless I´ll get seduced by playing RA3, MoW or ME3.
That won't be necessary. Wilhelmina is the ruler of the largest country of the three, and she kicks ass, so just appoint her, will ya?

I should get working on the first update, Simpsons start in 25! Expect GIMPed pictures! :)
Yay!

That won't be necessary. Wilhelmina is the ruler of the largest country of the three, and she kicks ass, so just appoint her, will ya?

But Belgium is more advanced militarily...

Already done, the base is Netherlands. You´re from Netherlands, aren´t you? :)

Thanks to you, there won´t be updates for at least an hour! :p

Seriously, cropping and editing pictures takes some time, let alone when some family member still bothers you :wacko: Appreciate this; you won´t see this happening too often! :D

I want That Belgium become the boss, in fact, I DEMAND it! Belgium is much nicer, have some nice cities,... We doesn't Need the Netherlands for survival! Their ships are nice however... BTW, I hope the flag is in the Belgium 3 colors, wich represent the former countries of Flanders, Wallonia and Liege. Maybe a small Dutch flag in the corner, to make them happy...

Chapter I: Introduction - Welcome to '36 Belgelands/Hollandium!

The initial plan counts with defending all of the territory, except for Verviers and Maastricht; there is nothing to lose there and I gain a good defensive position behind a river. The line is 13 provinces long and at least half of them are behind rivers from the looks of German soldiers.

clipboard01s.jpg

The second line of defense counts on shortening the front as much as possible. Nevertheless, Luxembourg and adjacent provinces can be traded for a better defensive line Charleroi-Hasselt, using already built forts to their advantage. Thanks to that, the whole defensive line would be in great defensive positions behind rivers. Both of them would have been 11 provinces long. Also note the crucial position of Afsluitdijk.

clipboard02ok.jpg

If Germans manage to punch through Belgium and Luxemburg (and possibly driving the French from my border), this 13 provinces long should protect Brussels and Amsterdam, while still preserving more than a half of Belgelands IC might.

clipboard03jh.jpg

If everything else fails, a 5 provinces long defensive line should prevent Amsterdam from falling. If not... Let´s hope I won´t be forced from the first one anyhow! :)

clipboard04kc.jpg

Since the base country is Netherlands, I didn´t mess up too much with alignment, since I guess it´s OK. Note that I own both rubber and uranium deposits; one or two nukes would come in handy if needed :D

clipboard05rw.jpg

Belgelands will have about 80 effective IC, which isn´t bad at all. But I will be also short on all resources. Let´s hope 3,5 money per day will solve the problem...

clipboard06pr.jpg

There is nothing much to see in the technology; I´ve mostly pushed some techs one level higher (which resulted in a funny situation of having 1939 oil refining techs in 1936), but I still don´t have the capability of building tanks, which would surely come in handy with my very limited manpower (after disbanding of all Indonesian and Congolese garrisons, which were for some reason regular GAR and MIL brigades) of 230 units.

clipboard07nm.jpg

This was the OOB before disbanding these divisions. I have to build expensive units in terms of IC, or I´ll bleed out white if (when is better though) Germans send their tank divisions on me.

clipboard08v.jpg

I could help my resource situation by improving infrastructure up to level 5 in both Congo and Indonesia, because after this magic 5 no penalties are taken. 75% infrastructure penalty combined with 50% non-core is something to think about, especially when you need every bit of resources you can get.

clipboard09f.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Ikar, I just noticed Kloberlau has nominated you to fan of the week! Now you need to go to other forums, and read some more AAR's than only the hoi3 one, go!

I don't understand why the flag is like that but this will be interesting scenario and I'm following.

Because it´s a revesed German vanilla flag! :D And I´ve made it look like that on purpose :p

Actually, you can find these colours on BeNeLux flags. Black - Belgium, white - Netherlands and red - Luxemburg. These colors of war: blood (R), death (B) and surrender (W).

Ikar, I just noticed Kloberlau has nominated you to fan of the week! Now you need to go to other forums, and read some more AAR's than only the hoi3 one, go!

Hell nope :p

Because it´s a revesed German vanilla flag! :D And I´ve made it look like that on purpose :p
Actually, you can find these colours on BeNeLux flags. Black - Belgium, white - Netherlands and red - Luxemburg. These colors of war: blood (R), death (B) and surrender (W).
Maaaan cause you said surrender I instantly got a thought that your going to only make white flags with your IC :D.

Maaaan cause you said surrender I instantly got a thought that your going to only make white flags with your IC :D.

All purpose weapon? Sounds good! Bash infantry with it, throw it on planes and block view-ports of tanks with it!

Licensed ARM from Britain sounds better though :D

I want That Belgium become the boss, in fact, I DEMAND it! Belgium is much nicer, have some nice cities,... We doesn't Need the Netherlands for survival! Their ships are nice however... BTW, I hope the flag is in the Belgium 3 colors, wich represent the former countries of Flanders, Wallonia and Liege. Maybe a small Dutch flag in the corner, to make them happy...

Nooo, The Netherlands have Amsterdam, which is like the best city in the world!!!

You are obviously to blame!1!!1!111!

Mhm, I taught so...

Nooo, The Netherlands have Amsterdam, which is like the best city in the world!!!

I heard they´ve made some restrictions there lately :p

P.S. Cropping pictures obviously doesn´t support the conservation about AAR. Now I have here:

1 troll, 1 Belgian butt-hurt :)D), 1 drug dealer :)p) and 1 true follower. Come on guys! :p

Subbed! Looks promising, I am eager to see you finally playing with a good amount of IC and decent LS. :)

AFAIK, with democracy in HPP you can enforce, well... a return to the pre-war borders? :eek:

The real deal will be researching LARM and ARM techs quickly, since I think combined arms doctrines will work for me the best.

Thanks for subbing, but the next update will be out after a month :)