• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, I just ran the converter (0.6D), and there was only a single error that showed up in the log file:

Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt

I've attached the full logfile to this post, and can send a zip of the CK2 save I converted if needed (and if someone is willing to suggest a good place to upload the file, as the zip is too big for the attachments here.)

View attachment 77879

Edit:
Just tried the converted file out, and noticed two oddities:
First, I had a de jure claim on what became Aberdeen, but in the converted file, no core, which would make it rather difficult to reclaim that last bit of land for what is now Great Britain.

Second, The Irish Band, which in the CK2 game had conquered most of France, had been renamed Scotland. When I started the game, I got a warning that they often ally with France to cause trouble on the northern border, or something to that effect. (Edit 2: In my CK2 game, Scotland had been entirely subsumed into Britannia, which was ruled by the dynasty I was playing.)

Last edited:
Ah, okay. Where is the converter mod found?

It's linked in the first post under "important links". :)

Though the error shouldn't really worry you. It's perhaps the one error where everything still converts alright.

Last edited:
Currently, I'm working on the idea that we need to support two types of settings in configuration.txt:
* Pre-defined strings. The user has, say, three options, and must pick one. Both keys and values are stored as strings. Visually, these will probably be radiobuttons.
* Numeric. May or may not have pre-defined alternatives. Needs a minimum and maximum value. Keys are stored as strings, values as strings (but need to be numerical, as they may be converted to numbers at runtime)

Spot on!

I also suspect that I'm working in the wrong branch. I assume I got Major when I followed the instruction in one of the first posts. However, moving the code over is easy, and I'll probably spend more time trying to figure out how to get the correct branch. :)

I'm surprised that hasn't happened more often, actually! If you haven't yet added new files to the repository (as opposed to just the directories) or modified any files already in the repository, it's easy to change. Just go into the Tortoise workbench, right-click the latest revision in the minor branch, and choose 'update'.

If you have added or edited files, you'll have to revert those changes first. You can just copy the whole folder, revert it there, change to the correct branch, then add them back in.

And I'm glad to hear of your progress overall!

So, I just ran the converter (0.6D), and there was only a single error that showed up in the log file:

Error: Could not open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\europa universalis iii - complete/mod/Converter/common/religion.txt

I've attached the full logfile to this post, and can send a zip of the CK2 save I converted if needed (and if someone is willing to suggest a good place to upload the file, as the zip is too big for the attachments here.)

View attachment 77879

Edit:
Just tried the converted file out, and noticed two oddities:
First, I had a de jure claim on what became Aberdeen, but in the converted file, no core, which would make it rather difficult to reclaim that last bit of land for what is now Great Britain.

Second, The Irish Band, which in the CK2 game had conquered most of France, had been renamed Scotland. When I started the game, I got a warning that they often ally with France to cause trouble on the northern border, or something to that effect. (Edit 2: In my CK2 game, Scotland had been entirely subsumed into Britannia, which was ruled by the dynasty I was playing.)

The error is a known thing, it's of no consequence.

As of right now, you only get cores from holding baronies in the relevant provinces, or having that province as part of your de jure territory. We should probably do something with claims eventually, but it's unfortunately a low priority.

The Irish Band thing is actually addressed in our FAQ under "Q: Why do most of the country names turn out funny?!"

So, I think I may have made headway in figuring out ROTW armies (and maybe navies, though that could easily be off).

My analysis way with the country of Tyrone with the sliders edited to be all centered and the monarch edited to have zero skills. Then I edited the county of Ulster to collect this data:

Code:
MP,Base Tax,Population,Starting MP,Max MP,Infantry,Cavalry,Total Troops,Carracks,Galleys,Cogs,Total Ships,Starting Gold,Troops Cost,Ships Cost,Total Cost
10,100,0,2475,3000,1,0,1,36,0,12,48,-5169,9,11088,11097
50,10,0,13175,15000,3,0,3,18,0,6,24,-602,27,5544,5571
50,100,0,12375,15000,4,1,5,178,0,61,239,-635437,57,54864,54921
100,10,0,27550,30000,3,0,3,36,0,12,48,-5169,27,11088,11115
100,100,0,24750,30000,7,3,10,357,0,120,477,-1685896,126,109980,110106
200,10,0,56300,60000,3,0,3,71,0,25,96,-40578,27,21900,21927
400,1,0,114000,120000,1,0,1,14,0,6,20,-280,9,4344,4353
400,10,0,113000,120000,3,0,3,142,0,49,191,-323187,27,43776,43803
(copy this into a text file, rename it to have a .csv extension, then open it in Excel).

It looks as if the number of regiments is
Code:
Min( 0.1*manpower , 0.3*Basetax )
with a minimum of one infantry. If there are more than that, 70% of them are infantry. Starting manpower is
Code:
287.5*manpower - 400*num_regiments
, though that doesn't seem to work when the numbers get low.

With ships, it seems to be
Code:
0.047625*manpower*basetax
, with a minimum of one cog. If there are more ships, 75% are Carracks. I suspect that may only use basetax from coastal provinces.

Starting money is affected by all of this, though I can't make heads or tails of the relationship.

It would be helpful if some people could double-check my findings, particularly with multi-province countries. And see if monarch skills affects things. And how sliders do. And I can get some coding done, and we can hopefully get a release out before too much longer.

Yep, at the moment the Roman Empire just goes back to Byzantium, hopefully that'll be changed through the eu3 mod I'm working on at the moment. By the way, all country changes can be found in country_mappings.txt

Sorry for the lack of updates by the way, busy few days. Got all of the country files for the empires done so far, still working on localisation and flags.

I might have to pick your brain later about country files for the part where the converter automatically generates some of these. With flags, it seems you can just copy the CK2 flag over and rename it, and the country color is easy, but there's a whole bunch more stuff in the country file it'll need to generate.

The error is a known thing, it's of no consequence.

As of right now, you only get cores from holding baronies in the relevant provinces, or having that province as part of your de jure territory. We should probably do something with claims eventually, but it's unfortunately a low priority.

The Irish Band thing is actually addressed in our FAQ under "Q: Why do most of the country names turn out funny?!"
Ah, ok. I missed that part of the faq.

Also, when you say 'holding' baronies, what would happen if I were to jump back to an earlier save, start a war, and occupy the county, or part of it (Assuming I could not end the war in time)? Would that be enough to at least have a core on the province? (And it is part of my de jure territory, just not my actual held territory.)

I'm surprised that hasn't happened more often, actually! If you haven't yet added new files to the repository (as opposed to just the directories) or modified any files already in the repository, it's easy to change. Just go into the Tortoise workbench, right-click the latest revision in the minor branch, and choose 'update'.

If you have added or edited files, you'll have to revert those changes first. You can just copy the whole folder, revert it there, change to the correct branch, then add them back in.

And I'm glad to hear of your progress overall!

Thanks! Will give this a shot.

It's linked in the first post under "important links". :)

Though the error shouldn't really worry you. It's perhaps the one error where everything still converts alright.

Seen. Would it be possible to add something about what it does in the FAQ?

I might have to pick your brain later about country files for the part where the converter automatically generates some of these. With flags, it seems you can just copy the CK2 flag over and rename it, and the country color is easy, but there's a whole bunch more stuff in the country file it'll need to generate.

Something I can think of to help this is to possibly contact the maker of this mod. As far as generating new files for independent counties, he seems to have got it down to a t. If he agrees to help, that'd pretty much sort out the localisation (albeit a tad strangely).
The other problem is generating the actual country files, I suppose for historical ideas and units, best would be to give them their culture's generic ideas/ units- though whether these would have to be predefined or copied from another file I couldn't say. Names could be sorted with culture as well, there's a list of possible names for all cultures in the CK2 files, and copying that into the country files might be a good solution (shortened down a bit, perhaps a random selection of names?). Leader names would have to be cultured tied as well, I suppose. Other than that though, I don't think ship/ army names are essential- they should just default to 1st army and 1st navy.
Countries.txt could be dealt with I suppose, adding another section on at the bottom should be fine. The only problem I foresee with that is making sure there are unique tags, but keeping a list of 'banned tags' and just procedurally generating them would work. You'd also have to make sure the name of the independently generated country file matched exactly here, but that shouldn't be a huge issue.
Finally, history files should be pretty easy to deal with (I'm not sure if they're even essential for EU3) since you've already got tech groups, culture, sliders and religion done. The only thing really needed to add in here is feudal monarchy/ merchant republic depending on the government, and the capital. Basically, just put all the information in here that was being used already. Anything else is only really necessary for bookmarks- since most people will be just loading a save straight up there's probably not much point.

I know it's a bit of a block of text, I'll get round to just sticking it in a .txt file just with the steps in it at some point.

Ah, ok. I missed that part of the faq.

Also, when you say 'holding' baronies, what would happen if I were to jump back to an earlier save, start a war, and occupy the county, or part of it (Assuming I could not end the war in time)? Would that be enough to at least have a core on the province? (And it is part of my de jure territory, just not my actual held territory.)

You need to actually possess the title of at least one barony or have a vassal do so. Though if its de jure territory, that shouldn't be necessary. Hmmm. Is it territory that changed its de jure borders over the course of the game?

Seen. Would it be possible to add something about what it does in the FAQ?

You know, I don't know why I hadn't done that before. It is frequently asked. And now in the FAQ. Thanks!

You need to actually possess the title of at least one barony or have a vassal do so. Though if its de jure territory, that shouldn't be necessary. Hmmm. Is it territory that changed its de jure borders over the course of the game?
That particular county has traded hands a number of times over the course of the CK2 game, but the de jure Kingdom and Empire mapmodes show that Buchan is a de jure part of Scotland and Britannia, respectively, both of which are crowns that I hold. I don't think it was in the possession of anyone else long enough for it to drift away, and even if it did, it had since drifted back.

Anyway, I jumped back to an earlier autosave, January 1451, and used my de jure claim to reconquer it from Gotland, and converted that file, so I have it now.

However, that conversion had an addition error, on top of the religion.txt error I had earlier:

Error: bad relationship modifier in embargo

Here's the full log file.
View attachment 77989

Also, out of curiosity, what does a tech score of "-1.#IND00" mean? I ask because almost all of the places marked as getting into Western tech group had that as their score, and almost all of them seemed to be in Muslim countries (though I did not check every single one).

Edit:
I forgot to say, I tried out the converted file, and a national decisions I had immediately available to me as Great Britain was to form the Irish Nation. I have to say, that was rather odd. It changed my country name to Ireland, and the map color and coat of arms changed as well.

Edit 2:
Also, I'm starting with -79 prestige for some reason. I'm not asking for the 5500 (roughly) prestige I had in CK2 with my last ruler, but something is seriously off there, I think.

Edit 3:
Further investigation of the EU3 map shows that I have lost two of my provinces/counties in the conversion: Poznan, which was subsumed into Poland, and Ääninen, which was absorbed by Denmark. I sort of have a core on Poznan, in that EU3 says that Connacht has a core on the province. This doesn't give me a Casus Belli though, presumably because EU3 spells that Irish province as Connaught, or because I am Great Britian, which while containing Connaught, is not able to declare war for Connaught's cores. As for Ääninen, the only core on that location is Denmark's.

Edit 4:
Oh, and Munster has a core on Ingermanland EU3, as in CK2 I controlled (through a vassal) the duchy of Estonia. I don't recall where the vassal was based, but I directly controlled Munster, so this is also somewhat odd. (This was in a slight tweak to my prior conversion, in which I went back into the last day of my CK2 game, and created a bunch of duchies to see what would happen. I can provide the logfile for this conversion if desired as well.)

Last edited:
I finally decided to take on a game through to EU3 because I saw this converter but it just stops working for me :(
I get a message from Windows saying "CK2ToEU3 has stopped working"
Using the latest versions of both games and almost all DLC.
Attached is the link to my save file HERE (I played as Portugal and ended all the other nations internal wars at 14 Oct 1399)

The following is the directory I used in the configuration.txt file I double checked, then triple checked etc.
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis III"
"E:\Users\MYSECRETNAME\Library\Application Support\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II"
My CK2 is on my mac and EU3 on the bootcamped portion of my HD but this shouldn't be a problem should it?
The log file just says
Code:
Reading configuration file.
so any ideas?

so any ideas?
Configuration file parser chokes on parentheses in the path? (x86)
The cultural tech conversion option currently gives a CTD, but not that early.

That particular county has traded hands a number of times over the course of the CK2 game, but the de jure Kingdom and Empire mapmodes show that Buchan is a de jure part of Scotland and Britannia, respectively, both of which are crowns that I hold. I don't think it was in the possession of anyone else long enough for it to drift away, and even if it did, it had since drifted back.

Also, I'm starting with -79 prestige for some reason. I'm not asking for the 5500 (roughly) prestige I had in CK2 with my last ruler, but something is seriously off there, I think.

These are actually the same problem. How is that, you ask? We DO grant you the core on your de jure territory during conversion. Then EU3 takes it away from you because it thinks it expired, and you lose prestige for that :) I believe Idhrendur has fixed this, we just haven't released a build since.

I forgot to say, I tried out the converted file, and a national decisions I had immediately available to me as Great Britain was to form the Irish Nation. I have to say, that was rather odd. It changed my country name to Ireland, and the map color and coat of arms changed as well.

This is WAD. The trigger for that event is: Ireland does not exist, you are not the HRE, your primary culture is Irish, you own all Irish provinces. It's possible to get a vanilla game into the state where GBR can form IRE also (basically: as an Irish substate, conquer the British isles without forming Ireland; Form GBR; now you can Form Ireland).

My CK2 is on my mac and EU3 on the bootcamped portion of my HD but this shouldn't be a problem should it?

It's very likely that configuration.txt MUST be saved with Windows line-endings. If you used a mac text editor to edit it, that may be the source of your problems.

Actually, the same may be true for the CK2 files...I won't guarantee that the converter will run while pointed to a Mac CK2 (but it will get further than your log indicates).

It's very likely that configuration.txt MUST be saved with Windows line-endings. If you used a mac text editor to edit it, that may be the source of your problems.

Actually, the same may be true for the CK2 files...I won't guarantee that the converter will run while pointed to a Mac CK2 (but it will get further than your log indicates).

The CK2toEU3 (and EU3toVIC2) can be run on a bootcamped Mac, pointing to Mac installations, as I've done it myself. (One cannot use a Mac to run the converter, though, as it is a .exe file.)

Last edited:
These are actually the same problem. How is that, you ask? We DO grant you the core on your de jure territory during conversion. Then EU3 takes it away from you because it thinks it expired, and you lose prestige for that :) I believe Idhrendur has fixed this, we just haven't released a build since.

This is WAD. The trigger for that event is: Ireland does not exist, you are not the HRE, your primary culture is Irish, you own all Irish provinces. It's possible to get a vanilla game into the state where GBR can form IRE also (basically: as an Irish substate, conquer the British isles without forming Ireland; Form GBR; now you can Form Ireland).
Ah, ok. I'll be looking forward to the next build, then. And thanks for the correction on the 'form Ireland' thing. It never occurred to me that that would even be possible, as it seems kinda backwards.

Any idea what was going on with some of the places where I should at least have a core (or outright control) instead getting 'create this nation' type cores with the same names as some of my provinces?

Thanks again.

Any idea what was going on with some of the places where I should at least have a core (or outright control) instead getting 'create this nation' type cores with the same names as some of my provinces?

You're probably getting (and losing) a core there. The other cores are just coincidentally tags that resemble your old provinces...any EU3 tags that are not in use will get used somewhere else on the map to replace some nation that didn't have a tag (either an independent county or barony, or a duchy in a low-centralization realm). The logs will indicate what the tag mapping was.