• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ouch. It's not quite the Oder in 1945 yet, but it seems that your emphasis on technology and mobility is being outgunned by the Soviet hordes (the last battle report shows 18,000 Germans facing off against over 100,000 Reds). To quote/paraphrase Stalin, it appears that quantity does have a quality of its own. :)

Good luck finding a defensive line where you can hold the Red Tide (and I mean that in an encouraging way, not a dismissive one).

Thanks, Stuyvesant! I remain reasonably confident that my defensive lines can hold -- back on the border, anyway -- and I'm reasonably confident that the armored force I have can prevent exploitation if someone gets through. What I am NOT confident of is whether I can appreciably turn the tide on them at present. And the NEXT question is whether I'm able to build the critical units faster than they, so I can turn the tide in the future, if not now. :)

Not to tell you how to play your game, but I do see a way you could have freed up more troops for the offensive. I don't know the name of the province off the top of my head, but the urban province 2 provinces north of the western-most Soviet penetration province contains 2 inf divisions. Also, the province immediately north of that urban province, with the river between it and the Soviet controlled province, also contains 2 inf divisions. Both of these provinces could have been held with only 1 division each, because of terrain features.

I don't know if these 2 would have been enough but they would have helped. Just my $0.02.

Lews, you're probably right, but I'm kind of gunshy right now, and I don't want to give up well dug-in defensive positions to go on the offensive when I'm not 100% the offensives will succeed (and if they don't I'd need those dug-in positions). I guess I'm playing it safe on my defensive positions, and risking only with my dedicated offensive units. You're right, though, if I'd had more infantry to follow behind, I might have had a success, instead of a failure.

You know, I think this could have worked, had you just maintained a defensive line elsewhere and really focused your schwerpunkt on 1 single main assault.
Then again, there ARE a ton of Soviets around, so it might not have made any difference.
In any other PI game, I would suggest you peace out for now. This is HOI, and the rules are quite different. Is there really no way to find some extra allies? anything to just slow them down, force them to divert troops elsewhere.
oh, and mil spamming right now just might be an option.
and a thought just occured to me. What would happen to the Soviet assault if you could amphib assault someplace like right next to Leningrad? Some kind of flying circus, maybe?

Yes, another poster earlier had mentioned that I could have done it with one central punch, rather than attempting two separate breakthroughs. My response to that is I'm used to thinking in terms of Germany having enough power and armored strength to punch through twice, and connect the two for a grand sweep. I had just forgotten that I don't own THAT Germany! :D I own a much smaller, and less capable German Heer, and I'm having trouble adapting my mind to think with less ambition! ;)

The extra allies are there -- not a separate front, because Romania is not one of them -- but they (Italy, Yugoslavia, Hungary) can't get to me without Austria. That's.... a fixable problem. :) And I'm thinking about ways to handle it (this is all done in gameplay, so past tense really). So, yes, there are reinforcements, should I need them.

I'm trying not to blink and/or panic. I think I have strong defensive lines, and don't need to start spamming just yet. If I'm wrong, you'll see an exciting conclusion to this experiment soon! :D

The amphibious assault is a good idea -- I'd need to make sure their fleet and NAVs are out of the way, and they've both been giving me problems (I have a smaller fleet too), but if I could solve that issue, and could adequately support a landing, it might be fun.

Thanks, everybody, for your comments! I know others are still reading (maybe reading from the start, since it's been a long time). Always good to hear from folks!

Another update maybe this weekend. I need to get back to the gameplay! Maybe this weekend also.

Rensslaer

Thanks, Stuyvesant! I remain reasonably confident that my defensive lines can hold -- back on the border, anyway -- and I'm reasonably confident that the armored force I have can prevent exploitation if someone gets through. What I am NOT confident of is whether I can appreciably turn the tide on them at present. And the NEXT question is whether I'm able to build the critical units faster than they, so I can turn the tide in the future, if not now.
To sum up:

You are greatly outnumbered...

... you are being pushed back...

... the same units that have just been encircled and destroyed will form the cornerstone of your defence...

... and you plan to build things faster than THE SOVIET UNION.

Way to go, Rensslaer. Way to go. Well, this AAR was fun while it lasted!

To sum up:

You are greatly outnumbered...

... you are being pushed back...

... the same units that have just been encircled and destroyed will form the cornerstone of your defence...

... and you plan to build things faster than THE SOVIET UNION.

Way to go, Rensslaer. Way to go. Well, this AAR was fun while it lasted!

Hey! I'm not dead yet! :p :D

In all soberness of realism, though... If I do irretrievably lose this as Germany (not conceding anything yet), I can always pick up in charge of another country and eventually beat the Soviets senseless. ;)

Rensslaer

In the words of Carl Lewis while singing the national anthem "Uh-Oh". Doesn't look promising at the moment. Hope you find a way to stabilize the situation quickly.

I hope for the opposite. It should get WORSE. For me, the AAR is most exciting when the author really struggles to achieve a victory and if their loses, it's even better, because that doesn't happen very often.

In the words of Carl Lewis while singing the national anthem "Uh-Oh". Doesn't look promising at the moment. Hope you find a way to stabilize the situation quickly.

Yes, I am duly concerned! :) Hoping that I'll be able to "get a good angle" on their front at some point and can perform a successful breakthrough.

I hope for the opposite. It should get WORSE. For me, the AAR is most exciting when the author really struggles to achieve a victory and if their loses, it's even better, because that doesn't happen very often.

This is very true! It's no fun if there's no challenge, and this game is definitely challenging me! :) So I'm having fun, even if I'm not sure I'll come through it okay.

Rensslaer

considering how high the Soviet threat level must be right now, and that this is HPP's uniquely dynamic diplomacy, I'm kind of disappointed in the Allies. Germany has done everything it can to be one of the good guys again, and still they won't intervene. I was sort of expecting to see the Soviets start WWIII by accident. (techincally, that WOULD be WWII, but you know what I mean :))

considering how high the Soviet threat level must be right now, and that this is HPP's uniquely dynamic diplomacy, I'm kind of disappointed in the Allies. Germany has done everything it can to be one of the good guys again, and still they won't intervene. I was sort of expecting to see the Soviets start WWIII by accident. (techincally, that WOULD be WWII, but you know what I mean :))

I feel like it could happen at any time, but I'm not 100% sure it even CAN happen. I hope so, but I don't know what the triggers are, for sure. And I'm still dreadfully afraid of accidentally tripping a trigger of my own! :)

Exciting, every moment! I did get in and start playing again today, trying to rescue a bad situation. We'll see!

Rensslaer

How goes the schedule Renss? Any hope on an update soon? No pressure, I understand the strains of RL.

Also, how far ahead of the updates are you in the actual game?

-Raven

Last edited:
How goes the schedule Renss? Any hope on an update soon? No pressure, I understand the strains of RL.

Also, how far ahead of the updates are you in the actual game?

-Raven

Thanks Raven!

To be honest I've had trouble getting back into gameplay. Not becauseI'm not interested but because it takes time to remember what's going on and reformulate a strategy. I'll get back it soon enough.

In HOI I run a month to four or five ahead but it varies.

Renss

Have just read the whole thing (amazing by the wAy:)) however there's been no update for ages now ,I know RL is monstrous but pleeeease:D

Hi, JC! Welcome! Sorry, I just saw this.

Thanks for making the commitment, and taking the time, to read the whole thing -- I know it's huge! :) But I appreciate it, and glad you enjoyed it.

I had started to update again, and fully intended to get back to gameplay, but when I did, I realized I had to practically re-learn how to play HOI 3, as well as "get back into my head" as far as what I was doing when I left off playing, because it was so long ago.

Since then -- I don't even remember what "RL is massive" I was going through at that time, but I've been laid off, and I'm working hard to begin a freelance writing, fiction writing, and various other freelance/contract/consultant work career to avoid the 40-hour-a-week grind. So that's taking much of my energy right now.

That said, I DO intend to get back to this -- both updating and playing -- but it's not going to happen until I have a little breather when I'm not doing stuff to somehow support my family.

If you're interested, I do have a Victoria 2 AAR currently being updated (Serenity -- linked in my .sig).

Thanks for your encouragement and enthusiasm!

Rensslaer

Since then -- I don't even remember what "RL is massive" I was going through at that time, but I've been laid off, and I'm working hard to begin a freelance writing, fiction writing, and various other freelance/contract/consultant work career to avoid the 40-hour-a-week grind. So that's taking much of my energy right now.

You should add a paypal donation link in your signature somewhere... if the forum rules allow such. I subscribe to and read a lot of your AARs and would gladly donate a few dollars every now and then in exchange for the entertainment they offer. I suspect there are many others on this forum that would feel the same.

Sorry to hear you were laid off, Renss. I know this must be a very stressful time for you and your family. I hope you'll find financial stability soon (and that you'll find time to continue the AAR eventually as well, but that's rather secondary right now).

How do you manage so many projects at once? Some of your AARs are running on really outdated versions of PI games now...

Well, Sforza!!!, with Napoleon's Ambition, is probably the oldest. :) I just get myself in trouble, and fight like heck to get out of it -- the same philosophy I tend to use with gameplay. :D

You should add a paypal donation link in your signature somewhere... if the forum rules allow such. I subscribe to and read a lot of your AARs and would gladly donate a few dollars every now and then in exchange for the entertainment they offer. I suspect there are many others on this forum that would feel the same.

Varka, thank you - I'm honored at the suggestion! Actually, if I may, there is a way that you could support me in terms of writing. I've just started an author page on Facebook -- Edwin Hanks, Author -- which is meant for fans of my writing. If you wouldn't mind spreading the word, I'd really appreciate it! (I can't link directly to it, as that's against forum rules)

Sorry to hear you were laid off, Renss. I know this must be a very stressful time for you and your family. I hope you'll find financial stability soon (and that you'll find time to continue the AAR eventually as well, but that's rather secondary right now).

Thanks, Stuyvesant! It's only slightly stressful, because I believe I have a viable Plan A and Plan B laid out. Plan B is to keep going as a freelance contractor, writing as a hired gun, and also doing various web-related things like SEO and "content strategy" (which is what I've been doing for the last year and a half -- basically making sure your website has the right message and content on it, to promote your business' true goals). Plan A, if it works out, is actually to begin publishing my fiction writing, as I alluded to in my response to Varka. Just since I discovered I was to be laid off, I've been writing a variety of stories -- about 4 or 5 of them, right now -- which I hope to self-publish. That author page on Facebook is one way for me to self-promote. I've also been refurbishing a "world" I developed for a roleplaying game about a decade ago, and will be using that fantasy world as a setting for a whole lot of my stories. I write fantasy, sci-fi and historical fiction -- the only one you've seen so far, in the AARs, is the historical fiction.

So, in brief, I'm guardedly hopeful that being laid off may be one of the best things that's happened to me! ;) We'll see if it really works out that way.

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to this AAR. I do have Serenity actively running, right now, and I'm still kind of updating Sforza!!! Need my life to stabilize a little before I really get back to this one, or start any new ones.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement! I really do appreciate it! Would also love to see you over on my Author Page (there are already at least 6 Forumites who've "liked" the page, that I know of).

Rensslaer