• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
FYI, not sure how many people are following this (fair number of views at least, so hopefully some are enjoying it) but I am going to be vacationing and work traveling coming up so there will be a gap in posts.

Going to try and get an update in for Guilhèm here this evening before I go offline to tie you over, though.

As promised:

Guilhèm I
Though considered cruel, Duke Guilhèm (named for his maternal grandfather) had many other traits to smooth his transition and improve relations with his friends and family compared to his father. Not least, his diplomatic skill was a marked improvement from his father’s ability.

He did have issues to left to deal with in the form of landed family members with claims upon the duchy. But Salvador had proved the Duchy had the military might and wealth to counter any such actions.
11321b.jpg

As for his family - he had each of two sons and two daughters. The eldest was Josifa, married to The Count of Vendôme, ambitious, but her attentions were tied up in her locality.
11321c.jpg

Next was his son and heir, Shaddam, a warrior before all though not incapable in diplomacy.
11321d.jpg

Next was his daughter Tabrina, a young lady to watch, and his youngest son Aton.
11321e.jpg

11321f.jpg

A1132.1 Duke Guilhèm promptly declared de jure war for his rights as Duke of Barcelona upon the county of Tarragona, but summoned only those levies from his personal counties and baron vassals. The Duke dispatched a messenger by fast ship to Holy Rome.

A1132.2 His Holiness Pope Pius II has granted Duke Guilhèm I of Barcelona rights to join in the Holy Crusade for Jerusalem. Shaddam Corrino was wed to Ida d’Anjou in a ceremony as marked by its proper piety as its pageantry.

A1132.3 The Duke summon his remaining vassal levies and ordered them gathered at Empuries. He left his marshal in command at the siege of Tarragona marched to meet his crusader host at Empuries.

A1132.6 With Prayers we sent the Duke aboard ship and he sailed for the Holy Land. Jules Corrino sent his daughter Clarmonda to tutor in Barcelona.

A1132.7 Duke Guilhèm sent Tabrina to study in guardianship with Jules Corrino, Count of Alto Aragon in the same missive that announced his arrival at Jerusalem.
11327z.jpg

A1132.9 Duke Guilhèm took Péire-Arnaut, son of Count Vutier as his ward.
(Player’s Note: I was trying a variety of things to keep key vassals happy.)

A1132.9 Dukes Ives I of Provence revoked title and station from Jaufret Bosonid. Jaufret and his family fled to residence in Barcelona.

A1133.1 Irulan, a 3e daughter, born to Guilhèm. Tarragona captured by siege.

A1133.7 A clash at arms is reported between men of Barcelona and Mohammedans where God took the victory.
11337v.jpg

A1133.8 Duke Guilhèm moved to reinforce German soldiers at Asgodun in a victory. Totosa fell to Barcelona in siege.
11338.jpg

(Note: Poor transcription by the Chronicler?)
11338b.jpg

A1134.1 Duke Guilhèm called good Scotsmen & women to travel to Barcelona. Some few heeded his call.
(Player’s Note: I needed some improved advisors and blood to put a ring on the high number of single woman in my court. Grandpa was Scottish, why not?)

A1134.3 The siege of Sant Cugat ended in a victory for Barcelona, and Tarragona surrendered to vassalage within the Duchy. His attitude left much to be desired in terms of respect to his new lord.
11343w.jpg

11344.jpg

A1134.5 Forces of Barcelona had the victory in Nablus.
11345.jpg

A1134.7 Maximilian Corrino sent to study with Matthew Buchanan.

D1134.8 It was discovered that Duke Guilhèm plotted the death of Count Guillaume of Tarragona.
11348.jpg

(Note: this is omitted from the A version, perhaps to cover that Guilhèm was not innocent in the relationship with Guillaume?)

A1134.12 Duke Guilhèm led his troops by sea westward to Tobruk and laid siege in Africa.
(Player’s Note: the Crusade was at +80% when I set foot in the holy land. Fatamid stacks have corrected that and I’ve moved to less crowded land to try and get some points.)

A1135.3 It was discovered by the Spymaster of the Duke that his Brother Xavier, Duke of Flanders by marriage, plotted to have him killed. Several within Barcelona sought to aid Xavier. The Duke moved to counter each, but when confronted the Count of Tarragona refused to back down. The Duke rightly sent men-at-arms to carry him to prison, and he revolted against his Liege Lord. The Duke dispatched his army home from Crusade to deal with his errant vassal.
11353x.jpg

11353b.jpg

(Player’s Note: Count Guillaume can explain to the Pope why I left Crusade to come home and put his head on a spike.)

A1135.5 Hugh Dunkeld named Chancellor for Duke Guilhèm.

D1135.8 A courtier, Heloise, has done wonders of late to improve the mood of the Duke.
11358z.jpg

A1135.12 King Philippe the Great of France declared a Holy War for Cordoba.

A1136.3 Tarragona fell to the siege forces of the Duke of Barcelona.

A1136.5 Ugues Corrino married Princess of Wales Mali Seisyll. Philippe the Great, King of France fell in battle against Abdul-Aziz Dhunnunid. Long Live King Antoine I!
(Note: Antoine was in his minority when he ascended, but at 15 only barely.)
(Player’s Note: two dead warrior French kings in a row...)

A1136.8 Tortosa fell to Barcelona’s siege. Sant Cugat fell to siege. Tarragona surrendered, was imprisoned, and had his title revoked.
(Player’s Note: and was locked in the last, most dank cell, on the left side of the lowest level of the dungeon.)

A1137.2 Having sailed back to the East, Duke Guilhèm laid Cyrene under siege. Bishop Humbert of Sant Cugat made Court Chaplain.

A1137.12 Tabrina betrothed to Prince Mitrofan of Ruthenia after her husband Baudoïn passed away.
(Note: oddly the Chronicle fails to mention the earlier wedding, but it is known that Tabrina had been wed to Baudoïn Bosonid, one of the refugees from Provence.)

A1138.1 Cyrene fell in siege to Barcelona.

A1138.3 Hugh Dunkeld, Chancellor, was found to be a heretical Fratricelli. He was justly imprisoned for this affront to God.
11383.jpg

A1138.4 Hugh Dunkeld, converted and absolved of his heresy. He was freed of prison and returned to his post as Chancellor.

A1138.5 Tabrina Corrino was wed matrilineally to Prince of Ruthenia Mitrofan Iziaslavovich Ruirkovich.
11385b.jpg

A1138.7 Marsa Susah captured by siege of Barcelona. King Antoine I declared 2e Holy War for Valencia.

A1138.7 Mayor Bertrand of Cotlliure died of the Great Pox. Bertrand Bosonid named Marshal in his stead.

A1138.8 Derna captured after a siege by Barcelona.

A1139.4 Irulan Corrino sent to tutor with Bishop Humbert of Sant Cugat.

A1139.8 Al Tomimi captured by Barcelona in siege. The troops board ship for home.
(Player’s Note: the Crusade as at -88% and was a lost cause.)

A1139.9 Duke Guilhèm inherits the Duchy of Toulouse of his mother Adèla I. His disturbed and possessed brother Raphael ran to Melgueil which then made indication of possible revolt to support Raphael’s claim to Toulouse.
11399f.jpg

(Player’s Note: I so wish Raphael wasn’t possessed...)

A1139.10 Roderick Corrino ran to the county of Rouergue and there was news that the Count there advocated Roderick’s claim to the Duchy of Toulouse.
(Player’s Note: Family...)

A1139.12 King Antoine I was victorious in his holy war. Praise the Lord.

A1140.2 Duke Guilhèm instituted large city taxes.
11402r.jpg

Count Savarics of Rouergue revolts in dispute of Guilhèm’s succession as Duke of Toulouse, he put forward Roderick as the rightful claimant. Duke Guilhèm called upon the levies of his faithful vassals to face this false claim.
11402b.jpg

(Player’s Note: And so it begins...)

A1140.3 Duke Geoffrey II of Anjou promised his aid to Guilhèm to defend his succession. Hugh Dunkeld made Baron of Osona following the death of Boudoin of Osona after an illness.

A1140.4 The 2e Crusade for Jerusalem was declared to have failed. King Antoine I of France declared a holy war for Seville. Count Savarics of Rouergue called Count Bernat-Aton of Melgueil into the succession war for Toulouse. Soldiers of Barcelona won a battle at Najac, and brought the barony under siege.
11404f.jpg

A1140.5 Siege laid at Melgueil by soldiers of Barcelona.

Last edited:
I have added in thread TOC links to content entries and links to full reign summaries in my Google Docs (which I have been using to tempt some friends to try the game) In the first entry.

I have most of the save games from throughout play, so I will take requests on seeing different regions at different times, or other questions.

It is a shame that you could not benefit from the Crusade.......But family continues its reaction towards your benevolent rule! Crush them

A1141.1 Count Vutier of Albarracin dies a maimed cripple, his son Péire-Arnaut Corrino inherited. Najac was captured by Barcelona’s siege. Bishop Humbert went to his reward after 57 years and was replaced by Bishop Bérenger. Bishop Hamelin of Laveur named Court Chaplain. Irulan Corrino, daughter of the Duke, was sent to study under Prince Mitrofan.

A1141.4 King Antoine I of France victorious in his holy war for Seville.

A1141.6 Millau and Milgueil captured by Barcelonan sieges. Count Savarics offered his surrender, which was accepted by the Duke. He was imprisoned, along with Roderick Corrino. Count Bernat-Aton of Melgueil was also ordered imprisoned for his role in the fighting. Both counts then had their titles revoked.
11416.jpg

A1141.7 Roderick Corrino freed from his imprisonment. Hasimir Corrino (nephew of Duke Guilhèm) made Count of Melgueil. Salvador Corrino (nephew of Duke Guilhèm) made Count of Rouergue
(Player’s Note: claimless nephews.)

A1142.1 King Antoine I of France declared the 2e Holy War for Seville.

A1142.8 Documentation and evidence of a claim of Barcelona upon the county of Navarra was presented to Duke Guilhèm by his Chancellor.
11428h.jpg

A1143.7 France was victorious in his war over the Mohammedans for Seville.

A1143.11 Maximilian Corrino was betrothed to Duchess Aliénor of Champagne.

A1142.8 Documentation and evidence of a claim of Barcelona upon the county of Viscaya was presented to Duke Guilhèm by his Chancellor.

A1144.1 Duke Guilhèm I, liege of Barcelona, declared war upon King Antso V of Navarre to enforce his rights and claims upon the counties of Navarre and Viscaya.
(Player’s Note: I had planned to get claims on all three counties of Navarre and take them in one fell swoop, but smallpox was in the land and I was concerned at possible death taking away the claims from my ruler, so I decided to do it in two wars to preserve the claims I had on hand.)

A1144.2 Duke Guilhèm is taken with pneumonia. The Bishop has asked that we pray for his good health.
(Player’s Note: and I felt much better about my choice of declaring war now.)

A1144.3 A battle, the battle of Barbastro, where Barcelona routed an army of Navarre in Urgell.
11443h.jpg

A1144.9 Thank the Lord for his intercession, Duke Guilhèm has recovers his health.

A1144.12 Trygvve Magnusson passed away at 75, while leading troops in the field.

A1145.2 The Siege of Irún in Viscaya was won by Barcelona.

A1145.4 Barcelona inflicted a rout on Navarre at Cervera in Lleida. Maximilian Corrino wed to Duchess Aliénor I de Blois of Champagne.
11454bf.jpg

A1145.5 Pamplona has been captured by Barcelona after a siege. King Antoine I of France has declared 2e Holy War for Granada.

A1145.6 The battle of Maresa won by Barcelona, and the Battle of Lleida where Mayor Egidio of Tudela was captured and imprisoned by Duke Guilhèm. Count Péire-Arnaut of Carcasonne inherited David when he died following an illness.
11456.jpg

A1145.7 King Antso V of Navarre surrendered to Duke Guilhèm of Barcelona the counties of Viscaya and Navarre. Guilhèm revoked the mayorship of Tudela from the imprisoned Edigio and granted the city and county to Estes Corrino, Lord Mayor of Navarra. Ugues Corrino was named Count of Viscaya. The Duchy of Navarre was usurped from King Antso.
11457.jpg

(Player’s Note: I thought a merchant republic vassal on the west coast here away from the Med would be ideal, and able to expand and bring cash and mercenaries to my benefit. I forgot that it required a duchy level title...)

A1145.8 The Duke has ordered the formation of a trained Retinue of warrior knights to serve as his true arms-men.
(Player’s Note: Occitan culture gets heavy cav retinue. nice.)

A1145.10 Péire-Arnaut of Carcasonne dies to be inherited of his sister Mabila.
(Note: young Mabila was in her minority at three years of age.)

D1146.2 Savarics Trencavel dies in the Duke’s dungeon.

A1146.4 Bernat-Aton Trencavel was released of prison by the Duke Guilhèm. We all said an extra rosary for Messire Egidio left in the dungeon and said to be familiar of the oubliette.

A1147.3 Messire Egidio, late of Tudela, perished in the dungeon of the Duke Guilhèm.

A1147.6 Bishop Louis of Cuixà has dies of natural causes at 64. He was replaced in his post by Bishop Hildebart.

A1147.7 Mayor Roger of Cotlliure named Spymaster for the Duke’s council.

A1147.11 A peasant revolt is said to be plaguing Viscaya.

A1148.2 Soldiers of the Duke arrived in Viscaya and drove off those peasants brave enough to face them.

A1148.9 Bishop Hamelin of Laveur passed naturally at 64. Bishop Adelbert elevated to replace him, and then named Court Chaplain.

A1149.1 Irulan Corrino betrothed to Prince Luitpold Salian of the Holy Roman Empire.

A1149.4 Pope Pius II has died. God raised His Eminence, Pope Silverius II in his place.

A1149.7 Bishop Hildebert of Cuixà fell asleep at 39. Bishop Thibault has taken his position in Rosello.
(Player’s Note: died an inbred freak)

A1150.3 King Antoine I of France has declared the 2e Holy War for Cordoba. The Duke of Berry is said to have inappropriate interests in the affairs of Barcelona.
11503b.jpg

A1150.8 Praise God, King Antoine I of France has received the surrender of his foes and captured lands in Cordoba.

A1150.12 D1150.12 Count Dodon of Dax has sent Mistress Cécile to visit the court at Barcelona. The Bishop has told us to watch her closely.
115012g.jpg

(Player’s Note: do not like all the AI snooping and plotting...)

Last edited:
A1151.2 King Antso V of Navarre has died, it is said of cruel assassination. His son died as well, and they were inherited of the young King Antso VI. Duke Guilhèm declared a de jure war for his claim upon Nájera as Duke of Navarre.
(Note: Young King Antso VI was in his minority when he inherited and faced war.)
11512.jpg

(Player’s Note: yes, I assassinated the King. Yes, a bug took the son too. No, I was not discovered.)

A1151.3 Count Vendôme pledged his aid to Barcelona in his rightful warfare for Nájera. The Duke’s twin sons were wed in a grand joint ceremony and mass - Shaddam Corrino to Viacheslava Trifonovna, and Guilhèm to Oda von Luxemburg.

A1151.4 A battle-rout was inflicted on Navarre by Barcelona at Vittoria in Viscaya.
11514k.jpg

A1151.9 King Antoine I of France has declared Holy War for Tangier.

A1151.11 Barcelona won the siege of Nájera.

A1151.12 King Antso VI of Navarre surrendered to Duke Guilhèm I of Barcelona and vacated his throne.

A1152.1 Great sadness lays across the Duke and his realm as his daughter Irulan has died at the age of 18. The Duke has usurped the title Duke of Aragon from Castille.

A1152.7 The Duke has ordered the formation of a trained Retinue of warriors to serve as his true arms-men. Frederick Corrino wed Ermesinda Mentzez.
(Player’s Note: Shock retinue.)

A1152.8 Frederick Corrino married Yelizaveta Yeliseyovna.
(Note: the Chronicle is unclear on the direct relationship of these two Fredericks to the Duke - it was a popular name in this generation.)
(Player’s Note: The computer has been handing out the name Frederick like candy.)

A1152.9 Mayor Uilliam D’Agde fell asleep at 75. Mayor Fiachnae d’Agde of Beziers inherited. Matthew Buchanon named Steward in his place.

A1152.10 Estes Corrino, Lord Mayor of Navarra, named Marshall.
(Note: the D Version adds that “Duke Guilhèm picks up a reputation for being ‘craven’, which we were all loath to countenance as truth.”)
115210.jpg

11532.jpg

D1153.2 Duke Gui I of Gascogne is reported to be dead of assassins. He was known to be speaking on the topic of our Duke Guilhèm holding too many duchy titles at court, so our lord is less saddened at the lose of a peer than is seemly. Castille is known to be at war with Pisa over issues of mercantile embargo.
11532b.jpg

(Player’s Note: yeah, I killed him. Plotting annoyance trying to take Toulouse from me because ‘I had too many duchies’. 45% chance of success, 12% of discovery. Got away scott free.)

A1153.3 Bishop Rorgues of Vic rested in peace after a long illness at 81. Bishop Amédée raised in his place.

A1153.5 Duke Guilhèm of Aragon has declared his intention to enforce his de jure claim over the county of Zaragoza by force of arms.

11538.jpg

A1153.9 King Antoine I of France has declared Holy War for Fes.
(Note: the Chronicle lacks a note on the conclusion of France’s earlier successful war for Tangier.)

A1153.12 A large army of Castille was reported marching upon Zaragoza. Our Duke pulled his armies back into the mountains of Urgell and hired the Catalan Band to come provide aid.

A1154.1 Antoine I, King of France, has died at 31. Long Live King Rorgues I!!!
(Note: In his minority at three, the prospects for young Rorgues seemed quite challenging to reach his majority.)

A1154.2 Duke Guilhèm hired the Breton Band and ordered it to march with haste to Urgell, where he awaited the Castillian host.
(Player’s Note: yes, I am that nervous.)

A1154.4 A great clash arms where many fell at Pallars in Urgell, where Barcelona held the day.
11544d.jpg

A1154.7 A battle-rout was inflicted on the Castille at Caspe in Zaragoza.

A1154.9 Castille is gripped of revolts against their King. Jules of Alto Aragon has passed from stress, and been succeeded by his son Count Jules II.

A1154.10 Barcelona has won the siege of the Barony of Zaragoza. The Duke dismissed some of his mercenaries.
(Note: records indicate the Breton Band left the region in the following days.)

A1155.1 Barcelona has won the siege of Alagón.

A1155.5 Barcelona won the siege of Caspe, and all Zaragoza was captured. Castille surrendered the county. The Duke released his mercenaries and levies. Frederick Corrino was named Count of Nájera. Guillaume Chamillart released of prison.
11555.jpg

A1155.7 Agata Corrino, granddaughter of the Duke, was wed matrilineally to Prince Antso Mentzez Jimena.

D1155.8 Much of the court chatters about the Duke's hard words about a traveling bard.
11559r.jpg

A1155.11 The Duke has ordered the formation of an additional trained retinue of warriors to serve as his true arms-men.
(Player’s Note: Defense retinue.)

A1155.12 Rainer Corrino, grandson of the Duke, was wed to Nest ferch Meurig.

A1156.3 Praise God, the soldiers of King Rorgues I of France have received the surrender of his foes and captured lands in Fes.

A1156.4 Documentation and evidence of a claim of Barcelona upon the county of Armagnac in France was presented to Duke Guilhèm by his Chancellor.
(Player’s Note: time to start weakening France’s might..... ack. Crown law prevents my action to attack.)

A1156.5 Bishop Amédée of Vic named Court Chaplain.
(Note: in the D version we find "The Duke has given up his pious practice of temperance with any unseemly feast.")
11565.jpg

A1156.8 Pope Silverius II was taken to his reward, and God has place Pope Marcellus III in Rome.

A1156.9 Bishop Aldebert of Laveur died of slow fever, and was succeeded by Bishop Bohemond.

A1156.12 Bishop Thibaut of Cuaxà has died of slow fever. Philippe named Bishop in his place.

A1157.4 The Duke was convinced of documentation of a claim of Barcelona upon the county of Venaissin in Provence as presented to Duke Guilhèm by his Chancellor, and he declared war to enforce the claim.
11574w.jpg

(Player’s Note: silly single province revolting against their lord.)

A1157.4 Bishop Leto Corrino of Albi died a natural death at 65. Bishop Jaspert named in his place.

C1157.6 On the 17e of the month Guilhèm Corrino, Duke of Barcelona, departed this life at the age of 65 after ruling for 25 years.
11576o.jpg

INTERLUDE:
Guilhèm ruled firmly and with determination. He completely absorbed the former Kingdom of Navarre into the realm, stood against the might of Castille in battle, and managed through the negative opinions of some courtiers with surety. He showed his determination by taking up the cause of Crusade, and led his soldiers to the walls of Jerusalem itself. He also continued the Corrino policy of avoiding French internal politics, but watched as the Kings of France continued to expand and absorb Muslim lands with some concern, as evidenced by a seeming change of tactic and interest in looking north near the end of his reign.

One must acknowledge that Guilhèm faced all his challenges and overcame with distinction, having left the legacy of Corrino better off than when he found it.

Last edited:
It was certainly an honourable period for the Duchy! But at this point you should look North before someone comes for you.....

It was certainly an honourable period for the Duchy! But at this point you should look North before someone comes for you.....

I know, I know. Sadly, events take a different turn in the near term...

Shaddam I

Ah, Shaddam...
shaddam.jpg

There is really no way to describe Shaddam other than people hated him.
No. I mean they hated him. Within months his vassals were agitating to replace him, and that agitation rapidly became, well we shall see...

First, a look at his sons. The eldest of his twin born sons, and heir, was Guilhèm. He was not incapable but was largely unremarkable.
guilheme.jpg

Next, was his second son, and namesake, Shaddam the Younger. While not much more adept at politics, his brave determination to overcome a weak physique had given him skill at arms and a mind sharp at enumeration made him a more desirable heir, and only the quirk of being the second born twin kept him from that honor.
shaddam2.jpg

Last, Xavier, another unremarkable young man.
xavierx.jpg

And so, we turn to the Chronicle:

A1157.6 Count Hasimir of Melgueil sent his son, Jordan Corrino, to be the Duke’s ward.

A1157.7 Count Andros sent Irulan Corrino to be the Duke’s ward. Shaddam’s son Guilhèm left Barcelona of his own and traveled to Navarra and the Lord Mayor there openly advocated that Shaddam be replaced by his son.

A1157.12 The Lord Mayor Estes Corrino of Navarra was fired from the Duke’s Council. In anger he raised his standards in revolt against his liege and lord

Shaddam I, Duke of Barcelona, to replace his lord with his son and heir Guilhèm Corrino who took command of forces arrayed in the field against his father.
(Player’s Note: I was reviewing the “Council of Haters”, trying to get positive opinion advisors, even if their scores weren’t as good as those they replaced... I inadvertently removed the Lord Mayor of Navarra as Steward, the added negative malus from being fired from the Council shoved him over the edge to trigger his revolt. It was to be the first in a line of oafish mistakes that should have, by rights, led to a complete collapse of the regime and dynasty.

As a further note, I appear to have been so busy during this period that, while I managed to take notes, screenshots are few and far between.)

A1158.1 The rebel Lord Mayor Estes Corrino called the Counts Fondil and Ugues of Viscaya to join his fight. His Supreme Holiness, Pope Marcellus III excommunicated Duke Shaddam I of Barcelona at the request of the Count Frederick of Foix after careful consideration and prayerful guidance.
(Player’s Note: And I officially could not exit the spiral of doom.)

A1158.2 Hasimir Corrino, Count of Melgueil, joined Estes Corrino in his revolt. Count Frederick Corrino of Foix declared his pledge to join Estes, as did Frederick Corrino of Néjara.
The army of Barcelona brought the siege of Orange to a successful conclusion, and was then ordered to march to Navarra.

A1158.3 Andros Corrino, Count of Urgell, joined the revolt. Countess Marguerita of Lleida joined the revolt. Count Péire-Arnaut Corrino of Albarracin declared for the revolt, and called his ally Duke Elrood of Flanders to come aid in the fight against Duke Shaddam.
(Player’s Note: Nearly every landed family member had turned on me at this point.)

A1158.6 Countess Mabila of Carcasonne joined the revolt.

A1158.6 The siege of Tudela in Navarra was won by Duke Shaddam. The Lord called his servant, Pope Marcellus III to join him in the Kingdom of Heaven. Pope Formosus II was raised in his place.

A1158.12 Orange was recaptured by soldiers of Venaissin after a short siege.

A1159.3 The Barony of Toulouse was captured from the Duke by a rebel force, as was Perpinyà in Rosello. Wandra Corrino, daughter of Duke Shaddam, was wed matrilineally to Máel-Máedoc mac Flann.
(Note: this is one of the few domestic notices for some time in the chronicle. The severe disruption of the growing revolt seems to have disrupted all manner of activity. Also note, the subtle change from calling Shaddam the Duke, to just Duke. There had to be considerable political pressure on the clergy as they recorded the chronicle with an excommunicated liege as the object of the narrative.)

A1159.8 Pamplona won through siege by Duke Shaddam.

A1159.9 The revolt invested Laveur after their successful siege.

A1159.10 Cuaxà fell to the revolt.

A1159.11 His Highness, the King of France, declared a Holy War for Marrakech.

A1159.12 Leyre won through siege by Duke Shaddam.

A1160.2 Muret was captured by the revolt after a siege.

A1160.5 Cotlliure is held by the rebellion against Duke Shaddam. Castelnaudary has similarly fallen.
(Note: The D Version adds a key note here “Duke Shaddam was gripped in a fit, and raged in tongues such that it troubled all who heard. The Lord is testing Shaddam, bringing forth his faith to return to Grace by trial of torment.” It is believed now that he was considered possessed, and the clergy became more fearful of God’s Will towards him. Given other instances, his uncle Raphael for instance, it is clear there was some undefined instability in family genes.)

A1160.9 Pope Formosus II has decreed that the excommunication of Shaddam, Duke of Barcelona, is lifted and he is returned to the bosom of the Church. Talfalla won through siege by Duke Shaddam.
(Player’s Note: I purchased freedom from the excommunication, I needed a return of diplomacy and to get rid of the relations hit.)

A1161.1 The Lord God has rewarded France with victory in their holy war for Marrakech. Narbonne fell to the revolt after a siege. Duke Shaddam rode with the cavalry in the center at Leyre and his charge broke the enemy in victory, but Shaddam was struck a great blow and was maimed.
11611b.jpg

11611s.jpg

A1161.3 Shaddam had pursued the enemy from Leyre and routed them again at Aire.
11613.jpg

A1161.4 Shaddam had pursued the enemy from Aire and defeated them again at Roquefort.
(Player’s Note: the main enemy force is defeated, and maybe things are reduced to cleanup.)

A1161.5 The city of Béziers has fallen to the revolt after a siege.

A1161.7 Count Jules of Alto Aragon was known to be backing a request that Duke Shaddam give up his title to the Duchy of Toulouse. Shaddam sent his Chancellor with men-at-arms to demand that Jules relinquish this unworthy position. Count Jules called out his levies and declared himself in revolt against the tyranny of Shaddam Corrino, Duke of Barcelona, requesting that his second son, Shaddam the Younger, be given rulership.
(Player’s Note: yeah, that wasn’t my best decision ever.)

A1161.8 Duke Bérenger I of Seville declared a league independence war against King Rorgues I of France.
(Player’s Note: nice to see I wasn’t the only one with problems.)

A1161.10 Soldiers of Duke Shaddam recaptured the Barony of Toulouse. Prince Mitrofan perished from severe stress.

A1161.11 Tabrina Corrino, widow of Mitrofan, matrilineally married Prince Eneko Mentzes.

A1161.12 Berta Corrino married Duke Cadwaladr of Connaught. Laveur was re-captured by Duke Shaddam.

A1162.3 The Bishopric of Albi came under control of the revolt. Muret was re-captured by Shaddam.

A1162.5 A battle at Lavaur in Toulouse at which many fell and Hector Corrino was captured. The enemy harried out of the county. Tudela was re-captured by the revolt in Navarra.
11625.jpg

A1162.6 Zaragoza fell to Count Jules after a siege. A battle, at Vabres, where Duke Shaddam won the field and captured Count Frederick Corrino of Nájera and Bishop Raoul of Alet were taken prisoner.
11626.jpg

A1162.8 Duke Shaddam won the field at Toulouse, capturing Bishop Aubry of St. Gaudens.
11628.jpg

(Note: it is clear that the religious heads were favoring their local leaders and were active in the fighting, whether the Pope had lifted the excommunication or not.)

A1162.10 Bishop Aubry of St. Gaudens perish in the dungeon of Duke Shaddam. Bishop Clotaire named in his stead.

A1162.11 The revolt in France has ended, with King Rorgues I victorious over the Duke of Seville. Dukes Bérenger of Seville and Humbert of Cordoba were imprisoned. Alagon fell in siege to Count Jules.

A1162.12 The Dukes of Cordoba and Seville were released by King Rorgues I of France.
(Note: as an aside, this action by Rorgues was greatly at odds with his later behavior, and this change has been greatly discussed ever since.)

A1163.1 Duchess Aliénor of Champagne has consented to join Duke Shaddam in aid against his revolts.
(Note: the D Version includes a comment that “Duke Shaddam has been contemplative of late, and seems far less prideful.”)
11631.jpg

A1163.3 Bishop Raoul died in the dungeon of Duke Shaddam at 63. Bishop Adrien has taken leadership of his flock. The Count of Rouergue abandoned the Duke, and declared in support of Navarra’s revolt.
(Note: the deaths of bishops in the dungeons of the Duke must have been galling to the church leaders throughout the realm.)

A1163.4 The Duke has lost Caspe to a siege.

A1163.7 Barcelona’s war for Shaddam’s claim on Venaissin ended, as the Count of Venaissin surrendered to his liege the Duke of Provence.
(Player’s Note: I had frankly forgotten I was even at war with Venaissin.)

A1163.9 Narbonne was returned to the Duke upon a successful siege.

D1163.11 Assassins attempted to take the life of the Duke. Captured and questioned, it was revealed that Count Jules Corrino of Alto Aragon was behind the plot for Shaddam’s death.
116311.jpg

116311b.jpg

(Player’s Note: The pipsqueak King wouldn't help.)

A1164.2 Béziers was returned to the Duke upon a successful siege. Pamplona was returned to rebel control.
(Player’s Note: I said something about being in ‘cleanup’ mode earlier? The enemy reformed it’s units after two devastating battles now and we are chasing each other’s sieges with the warscore largely static between the Duke and Navarra.)

A1164.3 Toulouse fell, again, to the revolt after a siege.

D1164.5 Assassins again nearly take the life of the Duke.
11645.jpg

A1164.6 Leyre was captured by the revolt. City taxes are returned to a normal level in Barcelona.
(Player’s Note: I requested that taxes be reduced before the revolts started to try and improve relations with the mayors. Before the revolts in 1157. It was finally agreed now. They couldn’t even agree with me enough to lower taxes. Ingrates.)

A1164.8 Tarragona fell, after a siege, to Count Jules. Albi was re-captured by Duke Shaddam.

D1164.9 Assassins again nearly take the life of the Duke.
11649.jpg

A1164.10 Duke Shaddam wins the field at Muret.
(Note: the D Version adds, “but again an assassin attempts to take his life.”)
116410.jpg

C1165.1 Shaddam Corrino of Duke Barcelona, Toulouse, and Navarra, and Count of Barcelona, Tarragona, Toulouse, Narbonne, and Rosello departed this life at the age of 53 after an accident.
11651w.jpg

Interlude
The D Version calls Shaddam’s death a suspicious accident. Other sources tell us a railing gave way as he strolled the wall in Toulouse. Previous reviews of the Chronicles made no references to a known plot to assassinate the duke, so his accident seemed convenient, leaving nothing but modern speculation. Clearly contemporaries to events saw and thought something much in line with that speculation, as the D Version of the Chronicles reveals. The only logical conclusion is that Jules Corrino’s plot succeeded.

Shaddam I of Barcelona was not the best example of Corrino leadership and breeding. There is not a lot else that needs to be said. He began his reign disliked, even hated. He did make weak attempts to mend relationships, but it was all ruined when he directly insulted Lord Mayor Estes Corrino, and events went beyond his limited abilities to control them.

As a soldier in the field he seems to have been admirable. He is acknowledged as a more than capable leader of calvary, and is personally credited with having been instrumental in the victories in the two most meaningful battles of the fighting. The outcome of that, unfortunately, was simply forcing the conflict to devolve into a series of sieges and scheming as the enemy worked to avoid meeting him in the field. Ultimately the conflict within the family resulted in his assassination and a passing of the reins to his eldest son Guilhèm.

Last edited:
Guilhèm II

And so in fire, war, tragedy, and plot the family brought down Shaddam I, and installed Guilhèm II.

But, could Guilhèm trust that these same vassals and servants would be any more loyal to him than they had his father? And, other issues remained, beginning certainly with Count Jules II of Alto Aragon who remained in revolt, and still sought satisfaction. Guilhèm rallied the armies and marched to deal with this problem. But he could not send armies after the fact that he had no male heir. There was already grumbling amongst his vassals about a woman as an heir.

As for Guilhèm himself? Well, he was a man with little skill at negotiation, so managing to correct the problems of his father would be a challenge. In all other things, he was unremarkable by all accounts. Which made the events that unfolded more interesting in their result.
11651.jpg

First, let us set the stage somewhat:

In the South of France, and the region of Barcelona:
11651e.jpg

To the North:
11651c.jpg

And the Far East and Holy Lands:
11651d.jpg

And we return to the Chronicle:

A1165.1 Duke Guilhèm initiated discussions with other dukes of France, seeking interest in breaking free from the control of Paris. King Rorgues I of France sent word that he would have Duke Guilhèm serve as his Master of the Horse, to attempt to improve relations.
Count Jules, faced with the prospect of fighting on alone against all of Barcelona, called Hasimir of Melgueil, Ugues Corrino of Viscaya, Bermond of Foix, and Andros of Urgell to join his side and appose Guilhèm. They all accepted.
11651f.jpg

(Note: The D Version also includes “As the Duke railed at this news of betrayal, he was seen to froth at the mouth and babble in the tongues of the Devil.” Whatever instability plagued the House of Corrino was seemingly passed to Guilhèm by Shaddam.)
(Player’s Note: AAaaarrrgggghhhh!!! I was similarly frothing at the mouth and railing at the computer, Paradox, and all cursed pixel medieval lords. Someone would make a killing if the produced little stuffed pillows in the shape of CK2 traits, particularly possessed and wroth. I would carry them around with me.)

A1165.2 Jules called Countess Mabila of Carcasonne to his revolt. In anger, Duke Guilhèm ordered the capture and imprisonment of his brother, Shaddam, which order his men-at-arms dutifully implemented.
11652f.jpg

(Player’s Note: When Count Jules initially revolted against Guilhèm’s father he asked for Shaddam the Younger to be named Duke. Perhaps because another revolt was already advocating Guilhèm, and the game couldn’t give them the same objective? Regardless, I remembered this and went to clean up the Shaddam problem and stop the revolt by an imprisoning and then an executing him. And then I didn’t have enough freaking piety to authorize the headsman to drop the axe after I had him in the stinking dungeon.)

A1165.3 Duke Guilhèm was victorious in arms at Tudela. The Counts of Albarracin and Empuries declared their backing for Count Jules.
11653.jpg

(Player’s Note: AAaaarrrgggghhhh!!!)

A1165.10 5e daughter was born to Guilhèm, Orenna. Tudela fell to the revolt after a siege.
(Player’s Note: Daughter?! Give me a son!)

A1166.3 King Rorgues I of France declared the 2e Holy War for Fes.

A1166.5 Duke Guilhèm won the siege of Jaca, and Tarragona fell to forces of the Duke.

A1166.8 Count Jules won the siege of Pamplona.

A1166.9 Duke Guilhèm won the siege of Huesca.

A1166.10 Count Jules called Count Salvador of Rouergue to his side in the revolt.

A1166.12 Anirul, the 6e daughter was born to Guilhèm.

A1167.1 Count Jules was victorious in siege at Leyre.

A1167.2 Duke Guilhèm won the field at Sant Cugat.
11672.jpg

A1167.5 Duke Guilhèm won the siege of Barbestro.

A1167.7 King Rorgues I is given the victory by the Lord and captured lands in Fes.

A1167.8 King Rorgues I of France has called a royal tournament to test his vassals and their men-at-arms. Duke Guilhèm II of Barcelona looks forward to testing his mettle. Duke Elrood of Flanders imprisoned by the King.
11678.jpg

A1167.10 Duke Guilhèm is reported to back Duke Elrood and others in a faction advocating independence from King Rorgues. The 3e French-Genoan Embargo War is declared, and the tournament is cancelled before it begins.

A1167.10 High Crown Authority is implemented for France.

A1167.12 Count Jules has the victory in his siege of Tafalla.

A1168.1 The peasants revolted in Barcelona. Duke Guilhèm arrived and routed the peasants at Caspe.

A1168.2 Duke Guilhèm won the field at Teruel, and forces for the Duke won the siege of Tudela. Wensicia, daughter and heir of Duke Guilhèm, matrilineally wed Prince Ordoño Antsez.

A1168.8 Shaddam Corrino, brother to the Duke, perished in the dungeon of Barcelona.
(Player’s Note: Yay! wait... yay? The revolt didn’t end. wait... whut?

Shaddam dies, and Jules’ revolt drags on. What gives? I check, he isn’t asking for Shaddam, he is asking for Weniscia. What? And, I learn, that his is a revolt against the tyrant, to be replaced by the next legitimate heir. This transferred when Shaddam died, so he moved to Guilhèm’s legitmate heir. I don’t necessarily feel bad for Shaddam’s pointless death... but imprisoning him ‘without cause’ sure didn’t help my standing with all these counts rallying to Jules’ side.)

A1169.5 Guilhèm won the siege of Lourre.

A1169.6 Guilhèm won a clash of arms at Tortosa. King Rorgues I of France declared the 3e Holy War for Fes.
11696.jpg

A1169.7 Duke Guilhèm had the victory of the siege of Pamplona.

A1169.8 Elisa, daughter of Guilhèm, matrilineally wed prince Wolfgang Salian of the Holy Roman Empire.

A1169.11 Guilhèm had the victory of the siege of Leyre.
(Note: the D Version included “The Duke’s celebrations of recent victories was hedonistic in its excess.”)
116911.jpg

A1169.12 Duke Guilhèm’s nephew Raoul Corrino was wed to Marcella Spinola. King Rorgues I of France was granted victory over the Mohammedans, and gained land in Fes.

A1170.2 Duke Guilhèm was granted victory in force of arms at Tortosa. The Duchies of Aquitaine and Poitou are now known as de jure part of the crown of France.

A1170.4 King Rorgues I of France declared the 2e Holy War for Marrakech. Count Jules called the Lord Mayor of Navarra to his aid, but surrendered promptly afterwards, bending the knee to Guilhèm II, Duke of Barcelona, Aragon, Navarre, and Toulouse.

(Note: And so ended 12 years and 2 months of constant open revolt and warfare tearing the family of Corrino apart. Guilhèm was faced with a difficult decision, nearly every count in his realm could legitimately be imprisoned and punished for their roles in the fighting. One can only interpret that he was as tired of the fight as everyone else as he took no overt action against any of them to avoid setting off another spiral of violence.)

A1170.5 Count Bermond of Foix was released from the dungeon of Duchess Aliénor of Champagne.
(Note: seemingly while fighting as the Duke’s ally, forces of the Duchess captured and had held Bermond.)

A1170.8 Pope Formosus II called for a 3e Holy Crusade to liberate Jerusalem for Christendom.
(Player’s Note: some opportunities for traits, and positive character enhancement, plus I get to hang an “I’m on Crusade, Do Not Disturb” sign.)

A1170.9 Pope Formosus II granted blessing by decree for Duke Guilhèm II of Barcelona to take up the sword for His Holy Crusade. Guilhèm called all his levies and retinues to his side at the port of Barcelona. Duke Guilhèm reaffirmed his oath of fealty to France, before preparing his departure.
(Player’s Note: the independence faction had enough strength to trigger at nearly any time against France. I was not interested in getting embroiled in an independence war while my levies were adventuring in the Holy Land, so quit the faction.)

A1171.2 After a long voyage and march, Duke Guilhèm II of Barcelona stood on the holy land of Jerusalem.

A1171.6 King Rorgues I “Ironsides” of France declared a holy war for Tlemcen.
(Player’s Note: it intrigues me that France, regardless of ruler, has been on a holy war spree for generations, but has sat out three straight crusades.)

A1171.10 A clash of arms with Mohammedans at Jerusalem where Barcelona held the line in victory with the Pope’s allies.

(Player’s Note: As an aside, the situation in the Holy Land is a horrible mess, and the Crusade is clearly taking advantage...)
11721.jpg

A1172.2 The Duchy of Bourbon is considered de jure part of the Kingdom of France.

A1172.8 Duke Guilhèm has captured Mirabel after a siege.

A1172.10 Adèla Corrino, niece of Duke Guilhèm, has matrilineally wed Artau Bosonid.

A1172.11 King Rorgues I “Ironsides” of France has won lands and honor in Tlemcen with his successful holy war.

A1173.1 Barcelona had been victorious in a clash of arms at Mirabel.
11731y.jpg

A1173.4 Duke Guilhèm has won the siege of Nablus.
(Player’s Note: sitting with Barcelona at 46% crusade contribution, in first place, suddenly it looks like I could win this... but HRE is coming up fast.)

A1173.7 King Rorgues I “Ironsides” of France declared a holy war for Alger.

A1173.12 Duke Guilhèm captures Jerusalem in a successful siege.
(Player’s Note: 40% Barcelona crusade contribution, the HRE is at 36%, but crusade itself at 95%.)

A1174.1 The 3e Crusade for Jerusalem has been blessed of God and received success. All hail King Guilhèm of Jerusalem for his pious victory!
11741a.jpg

Interlude

Yeesh. At this stage I am in pure shock. I've played many times, had many rebellions and troublesome vassals... but nothing like that 12 years of constantly, actively fighting a revolt back and forth on a knife’s edge. It certainly balanced the good luck I had earlier in the game - more than. To top it off I was in a near panic that some nearby duke, or or anyone, would try to come in from outside and mess with my lands. Only a miracle kept it from happening as far as I can tell.

Admittedly, a lot of it was my own fault, compounding a few mistakes on top of others. The first significant mistake was that I wanted to get a controlled Republic going (some added income, and a vassal with an avenue to nice mercenary forces), but forgot they needed to be Duke level to exist, so I just ended up with a generally unhappy vassal due to 'wrong government' type (Navarra) that I just couldn't overcome. A vassal that eventually triggered the entire mess. Patience.

Second, I was so afraid of outside pressure on my holdings that a when faction to remove Toulouse from my titles appeared, it prompted me to reactively try and imprison Jules Corrino in Alto Aragon. Huge mistake, as it made him mad and started a second revolt. Patience. Take time to review and consider.

Third, I did not check the issues related to Jules Corrino's revolt, so when Duke Shaddam died, I just assumed he still wanted Shaddam the Younger to inherit as he had initially. I gambled on imprisoning the Younger to execute him to end the revolt. Rookie mistake. I couldn't kill him as I didn't have the piety (which may have turned out to be lucky, as it would have made me a kinslayer worsening relations further). But he didn’t even want that heir anymore anyway, so imprisoning Shaddam only made me a tyrant and strengthened Jules' position by furthering angering my vassals. (On the plus side, Shaddam the Younger died in the dungeon, so one less family member to fret over.) Patience - consider all ramifications of actions.

Now, where does that leave me?

Well, a key lesson was learned. I suspect that without retinues I would have straight up lost the revolts. Retinues were huge here, I needed their boost to my raw numeric force to counter those troops lost to defection, and their heavy horse and heavy infantry backstopped my center in every battle to good effect. Given that I only purchased the Legacy DLC recently (played only a partial game with it prior to this), it has made a believer out of me. Retinues, retinues, retinues.

And on the other end of the roller coaster, I charged off into the Crusade to tried and get my possessed weak Duke some traits and use the status of ‘being on crusade’ to stave off enemies. I had no other expectations, but being on the ground there first gave me a nice bump in contribution that I ran with. (As an aside, I have never seen such a well timed crusade, as the Fatamids/Seljuks were just fully shattered in rebellion. There just weren’t the usual stacks of Fatamids troops running around causing trouble, and it all rolled pretty fast.)

Now, winning the Crusade gave me a king level title and shoved me out of France. In some ways this helps considerably. I still have unhappy vassals, some quite significantly. And the entire Council is angry with me. But I can pass out *duchies*. This will reduce the number of vassals I need to manage (good), and ideally make them considerably more happy (better). And, I will finally get that Republic created, and hopefully that will pay off - but that is a long term play, so that will bear watching.

Winning gave me a king level title and shoved me out of France. In some ways this hurts. I expect France has claims on my lands - Toulouse, certainly, and probably all of the territories I took with me when I left. Given past history the AI is not going to just let me walk off with a hunk of his land. Further, France has been incredibly stable (Aquitaine has all but de jure drifted out of France already) and aggressive this game (a player’s pace of holy wars ripping down into Africa). I expect to get rushed, and probably soon. I have to hope that France has some internal stability issues to keep them busy, and that my alliance with the HRE gives King Ironsides pause. On the flip side, I need to break France up - get claims on French lands and start peeling him back, which is just going to antagonize him further. A weak and divided France is my only long term success option, or I’m going to be back to a rump duchy pretty fast. On the plus side, I dropped out of the French Independence Faction earlier because I was afraid it was strong enough to activate while I was in the Holy Land. Here’s hoping that with me out of France - weakening the King’s power - perhaps they have the strength again now to cause trouble.

But I don't have to worry about just France. My only other real expansion zone is into Castille. They look easier than France, but certainly not easy. And likewise France has Castille boxed in, so their only expansion option is into me - and I’m not protected by France anymore, so I am sure I look vulnerable to Castille’s AI.

I could start actively working on the Duchy of Provence, too, (a process I started back before the Grand Celebration of Revolt started). That would be nice to get, but I don’t think it provides the long term benefit weakening France and Castille would bring.

As to my family - I only have daughters. My ambition is set to have a son, but I have no idea if that has any practical application to lead to results. Maybe seek a divorce from my wife or off her, to get some new young thing in my bed? Regardless, at this point getting a son would quite likely have him succeeding in his minority, which will bring an all new set of headaches... I am seriously considering going elective, but with the new king title, that will require a 10 year wait to allow me to change the succession law. We will see what happens.

King title... or properly, King Titles. I have met the base requirements to create the Kingdom of Aragon for a while now, but I was not independent so I was unable. I can now. And with the de jure drift reducing Aquitaine, I can make that now, too.

And that brings me to the near term, immediate issue before me - The Kingdom of Jerusalem.
Recently conquered Muslim lands will not provide meaningful productivity in economic or military terms for 10-15 years. Surrounded by Fatamids that, eventually, will get their act together means Jerusalem is in for a rough ride and will probably be a significant distraction to the many issues I just enumerated back at home in Barcelona. So,

Option the First:
  • Populate up the baronies and holding titles in Jerusalem with minor nobles
  • Hand out Duchies in Spain
  • Hold my ground as Jerusalem and hope for the best

Option the Second:
  • Create a Kingdom Title back in Spain - Aragon/Aquitaine
  • Populate up the baronies and holding titles in Jerusalem (to milk the credit)
  • Hand Jerusalem to the Pope
  • Get to work keeping Aragon and the Corrino Family alive and free from France

Option the Third:
  • Populate up the baronies and holding titles in Jerusalem (to milk the credit and set the region on a path to be Occitan)
  • Hand out duchies/counties I can to available Corrino family members or invited Occitan nobles
  • Make one of the Corrino rulers King of Jerusalem and cut him free

Option 3 has a couple of sub-options:

Make the rulership of Jerusalem into a theocracy. It should keep them close to the Pope and set off a serious Catholic bomb in the Holy Land. It may be fun to watch. Taking this route, however, would drop the Corrino name from power before long as the Bishops’ non-hereditary succession would take over.
Make the rulership of Jerusalem into a Republic. It should give them a path to money to give them power to stand up to the Muslims in the future. And it may be fun to watch the Serene Doge of Jerusalem. Taking this route, however, would drop the Corrino name from power before long as the elective nature of the non-hereditary succession would take over.

Option the Fourth:
  • Populate up the baronies and holding titles in Jerusalem
  • Make a Spanish Duchy King of Aragon and wash my hands of the entire mess

Okay. There is a lot of cachet in being King of Jerusalem, and their shield is pretty sweet, but I don’t think that is enough to justify dealing with it. Plus, I’m too stubborn to give up the ‘ancestral’ homeland, so the fourth option is out. Maybe I will look back and regret in a few decades, but I just can’t do it. The first option leaves me divided across the Med, trying to protect the vulnerable Holy Land and deal with whatever pain France throws my way, and that just doesn’t seem viable. So, do the spoils of the crusade go to the Pope or a Jerusalem cadet branch of House Corrino? If Corrino, I need to get them solid alliance material to get the HRE or someone to back them if trouble comes a-knocking.

I type all that, and a fifth option comes to me (which, is really the first with a caveat):
  • Populate up the baronies and holding titles in Jerusalem
  • At the first sign of trouble - Create the Kingdom of Aragon (or Aquitaine) and throw Jerusalem to the wolves
The problem with that, is I can’t hand out a title that is contended in a war, so it really does need to be the ‘first’ sign of trouble. But, there is nothing that says I have to had out Jerusalem right away. I could wait a few months or years to see how it is going... So the first option as a ‘holding pattern’?

Maybe. Let’s see how happy I can make the homeland, keep an eye on France, and play it by ear.

Very ince interlude ! It was certainly a harsh period for the realm but the dilemma is harsher I think ...I also vote for the last scenario....

Transition

King Guilhèm of Jerusalem, first of his name, Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri, Duke of Barcelona, Duke of Toulouse, Duke of Navarre, Duke of Aragon, Count of Barcelona, Count of Tarragona, Count of Narbonne, Count of Rosello, Count of Toulouse, Champion of the Faith, and Right Hand of the Holy Father.

Such was how Guilhèm Corrino was styled at his coronation in Rome following the Third Crusade. It is so easy to gloss over his past in the glory of ‘Crusade’. Historians in general place accolades upon Guilhèm for his leadership in the Holy Land - his decisiveness in joining the Crusade when his liege did not and his boldness in striking out ahead of the main invasion force - and for his dignity in accepting such a heavy mantle before much mightier rulers of Europe.

The Chronicles of the Lords Corrino, however, forces us to see events in a different light. Guilhèm took up arms against his father in revolt with Navarra, gained rulership only by his father’s assassination when he and his proxies couldn’t actually win their revolt, could barely put down a revolt against his own rule, had no peace time rule or administration experience, was afflicted by possession (seemingly brought on from ruling stress?), and dove blindly into crusade simply as a blanket for avoiding turmoil in his realm. Turmoil that he now had to return and deal with, in addition to ordering and securing the realm of Jerusalem. All evidence up to the successful conclusion of the crusade indicates he was a weak and unsuited to rule. One can only imagine the thoughts and reactions of the elite of Europe and the Papacy as they placed the crown of Jerusalem upon his head.

Notably, the Chronicles change now. The A Version transcription ends and it becomes contemporary, and with it most of the D variance (lending credence to the theories that it was transcribed from a common source). Interestingly, as well, the physical location of the A version changes. The transcribed sourced was primarily written at Albi, now it shifts seemingly to the Bishopric of Vic in Barcelona proper, where it becomes a contemporary document. Why the transition occurs is unclear. Most likely, those responsible for the Chronicles passed it on the Bishop nearer the capital as they were assigned duties in the Holy Land.

King Guilhèm I

A1174.1
The Duchy of Navarre is granted to the Lord Mayor Guillaume III of Navarra
(Player’s Note: a descendant of Estes Corrino was still in the city, and formed the Patrician Corrino family - nifty. And finally, the Republic that has so troubled me is established.)
11741b.jpg

Péire-Arnaut Corrino of Albarracin named Duke of Aragon.

Jordan Corrino of Melgueil named Duke of Toulouse.

King Guilhèm usurped the title Duke of Jerusalem.
King Guilhèm created the title Duke of Galilee.

County Negev was granted to the Knights Hospitaller.
(Player’s Note: Negev was discontiguous to my realm and I didn’t feel like dealing with it.)

Counts Frederick of Nájera and Jules of Alto Aragon were ransomed of their freedom.

Xavier, brother to King Guilhèm, was made Bishop of Bethlehem in Hebron.
(Player’s Note: One less pretender.)

Farquhar Buchanan was made Count of Acre.
Raoul Corrino was made Count and Duke of Jerusalem.

The Knights Hospitaller requested permission to establish a castle in Safed, and King Guilhèm agreed.
11741c.jpg

(Player’s Note: Didn't I just give you an entire county, you greedy so-n-so?)
11741d.jpg

Carlòta, daughter of the King, matrilineally married Folkmar Salian, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire.

Council
11741.jpg

Crown Law
11742.jpg

A1174.2 De jure war for King Guilhèm’s claim on Tyrus as Duke of Galilee declared on Doux Manuel of Cibyrrheot, who was in revolt against his liege the Basileus of Byzantium.
(Player’s Note: and had no business owning a county so far from his holdings.)

A1174.3 Wensicia Corrino, daughter and heir to King Guilhèm, died of pneumonia at 22. Her son Rogier, was declared heir to the Kingdom of Jerusalem.
(Player’s Note: thank you, primogeniture. The malus for the ‘heir is a woman’ is gone from my vassals’ opinions. For clarity, inheritance passed to the oldest valid child - according to some sub-rules. If the oldest child dies childless, then it goes to the second child. If instead the eldest has children already at their death, then the inheritance goes to them - hence my grandson stands to take the throne one day instead of one my living daughters.)

A1174.4 The siege of Scandalon was won for Barcelona.

A1174.5 The siege of Sarafand was won for Barcelona, and Doux Manuel surrendered to King Guilhèm’s rightful claim. Artau Bosonid was named Count of Tyrus.
11745.jpg

A1174.6 The King ordered the formation of a trained Retinue of warriors to serve with his true arms-men. King Guilhèm I of Jerusalem declared a holy war for the duchy of Oultrejourdain against Emir Sharif I of the Abbasid Emirate. The Holy Roman Empire and the Duke of Oxford pledged their aid against the Abbasid.
(Player’s Note: Emir Sharif was in revolt against the Fatamids. Couldn’t let that opportunity go to waste... The retinue add was for a shock retinue.)

A1174.8 Siege was laid at Madaba.

A1174.10 Jerusalem was victorious in battle at Krak de Moab. The entire bishopric was assigned an extra rosary for the King who has taken ill.
117410.jpg

1174102.jpg

C1174.12 King Guilhèm I of Jerusalem, Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri, Duke of Galilee, Duke of Barcelona, Count of Barcelona, Count of Tarragona, Count of Rosello, and Count of Safed was called from this earth by illness at 39 years of age.
117412.jpg

INTERLUDE:

King Guilhèm I of Jerusalem, Advocatus Sancti Sepulchri, Duke of Barcelona, Duke of Toulouse, Duke of Navarre, Duke of Aragon, Count of Barcelona, Count of Tarragona, Count of Narbonne, Count of Rosello, Count of Toulouse, Champion of the Faith, and Right Hand of the Holy Father.

or

A skulking opportunist with abnormal luck?

Both?

Well, darn, I didn't get to enjoy that very long at all...

Last edited:
It seems common....As soon as you start to consolidate ,monarch dies ...I hope his son will be a better man than him....

It seems common....As soon as you start to consolidate ,monarch dies ...

inorite?

I hope his son will be a better man than him....

I hope you'll like him. I was planning to get it posted tonight, but something shiny has distracted me.

And thanks for your comments and following - makes it all worthwhile.

Rogier I

A1175.1 Long live King Rogier I!!

He was far too young at his coronation to fairly to assess his abilities, being only 5 years old and well in his minority. This boded well for the realm, in that should he make it to his majority he could be looking forward to a long reign and stability for the entire realm. Even a young death at 40 would still provide 35 years of leadership. The issue, given the instability of the reigns of his predecessors was making it to his majority. So his reign began with a hopeful attitude, despite the obvious challenges that remained.
117412.jpg

Máel-Máedóc mac Flann was named regent, and his Aunt Elisa was named as guardian to educate the young lad, she was a fierce lady with reasonable skills.
1176k.jpg

It should be noted that the overall pace, and tone of the Chronicles has been changing, and that evolution continues from this point. One could suspect that the issues and reports coming in from around the kingdom would be a bit overwhelming, and that requests for business of the members of the bishopric would also be higher as the population in the capital area increased. But even routine notices of Bishopric events and Bishop assignments fades, which is unusual in comparison to other chronicles and annals. But this is one of the things that sets these Chronicles apart, especially with so much else that has been written about the rulers and politics of the Corrino dynasty. This chronicle again, slowly, becomes truly more intimately about the Corrino family, and events in their lives.

A1175.2 It is known that a faction exists that advocates that King Rorgues I of France take control of the Kingdom of Jerusalem. The Chancellor and the Steward applied themselves to weaken and eliminate the strength of the faction’s argument.
(Player’s Note: oh, dear god, just what I need. But I’m fighting the ‘I’m a kid’ and my ‘heir is a woman’ headwinds. Sadly I didn’t really learn of the power of the Spymaster’s ability to scheme and reduce factions until much, much later.)

A1175.3 Jerusalem triumphed in battle at Qastral, and captured Emir Shujah the Unready. He was ransomed of his freedom.
117532.jpg

Pope Formosus II granted gold to the Kingdom in its struggles against the heathen.
11753.jpg

A1175.5 The Chancellor of the Knights Hospitaller fabricated a claim upon lands in Oultrejourdain.
11755u.jpg

(Player’s Note: ungrateful wretch.)

A1175.7 Sybille Corrino, young King’s aunt, matrilineally wed Ordoño Jimena, the King’s father.

A1175.8 A Princess Sybille for Jerusalem faction is maneuvering through the court and vassals.

A1175.10 Soldiers of Jerusalem won the siege of Krak de Moab.

A1176.2 Soldiers of Jerusalem won the siege of Madaba.

A1176.3 The Merchant Republic of Pisa delivered a gift of 114G to the young King.
11763.jpg

A1176.4 Nest Morgannwg died of pneumonia and Rainer Corrino, her husband, was re-wed to Agnese Spinola. God granted victory in arms to Jerusalem on the field of battle at Umm ar-Rasas.
11764k.jpg

A1176.5 Al-Karak was captured by Jerusalem in siege.

A1176.8 Mohammedans defeated Jerusalem at a battle fought at Wadi Musa.
11768.jpg

A1176.9 A victory for Christendom, as Jerusalem and the Holy Roman Empire won the field at Krak de Moab. Umm ar-Rasas fell in siege to Jerusalem.
11769.jpg

(Player’s Note: yay for heavy infantry and pikemen.)

A1177.1 Jerusalem was granted victory in his holy war and gained Oultrejourdain. Roderick Corrino was made Count of Monreal, Florènç Corrino was made Count Kerak, and Ricard de la Panouse was made Count of Madaba.
11772q.jpg

(Player’s Note: It seems the Seljuks have basically lost control of the east permanently.)

A1177.3 An ultimatum was delivered to King Rogier and the Council from a collection of Dukes and Counts demanded that the crown law be loosened. The crown acceded to the request.
11773.jpg

(Player’s Note: Reluctantly, but really, what was I gonna do?)

A1777.4 A new King Rorgues for Jerusalem faction is maneuvering through the court and vassals, championed by the Doge of Navarra.

A1177.5 Bishop Bérenger of Sant Cugat died a natural death. Prayers for Bishop Guilhèm as he takes over there.

Player's Note:

So far I had been pleasantly surprised at the lack of hostility from France. The silence was particularly marked, as even routine notifications from France had stopped once I had left the realm. They essentially went dark and this silence was making me more, not less, nervous. I had proved that the HRE alliance was firm and of value in utilizing it in the holy war, but still did not relish defending against a French attack. And now the Doge had a faction for King Rorgues “Ironsides” of France to be made King of Jerusalem. I decided to inspect France and see what was going on there. I needed to determine how aggressively to prepare to react.

I found a pleasant surprise. King Rorgues had been excommunicated. His diplomacy rating was sitting at zero. Many of his vassals were unhappy with tyranny being a great concern (some notables from the previous independence faction were sitting in prison). Why on earth the Doge of Navarre wants him as king, I can not imagine. It took the most cursory look to see he was in trouble, and unlikely to go adventuring in the near term. So... wait a minute...

Excommunicated… the Pope had excommunicated him... I had the HRE as a bosum chum...

*raises hand* “Excuse me, Your Holiness...”

The Pope granted invasion permission, and just before I declare war I notice that I, in fact, no longer have an alliance with the HRE. It seems to have expired, or dissolved, or something during the recent Holy War.... crap.

A1177.6 The council had beseeched permission of the Pope Formosus II, and received approval, to invade France to depose King Rorgues and grant the lands and titles earned to Rogier of Jerusalem.
11776.jpg

(Note: the B Version added “Prince Ordoño Jimena, father to the King, was made Count of Safed.”)

Note:
It is more than likely apocryphal, but there is a story told of the meeting of King Rogier of Jerusalem as a lad and his Councilors wherein it was decided to challenge for the rule of France. (No, this story did not originate in the 1582 play “And So, by His Will” by Malcolm Falsted, from where many would recognize it. The play, in fact, borrows the scene from the 1456 manuscript “Criticam Examini Gallico Aquitana” by Philippe-Beignet de Narbonne.)

It is said that the entire council had gathered, with their many aids. At the end of the table sat the young King Rogier. He is described as playing with some wooden knights and a toy dragon. Near him sat his Regent, Máel-Máedóc mac Flann. Before him sat a report from his contacts within France describing conditions within the realm there. Court Chaplain, Bishop Amédée, had confirmed that the Pope had indeed excommunicated King Rorgues I and enumerated at length his tyrannical sins. Discussion had followed regarding the influence this had on plans for further conquests in the Holy Land, the stability of France, the capabilities of Rorgues, and specifically the risk posed to Jerusalem - whether France was likely to attack and the capabilities of Jerusalem to fight back.

Rogier perked up at this point.

“There is to be a fight?”, he asked. Regent Máel-Máedóc turned to him, “Mayhap, Your Highness. We are concerned that there may be.”

“Concerned?”, Rogier responded. Máel-Máedóc gestured to the wooden knights scattered upon the table, ‘defeated’ by the dragon standing over them. “We do not wish to face a dragon, Your Highness, if we do not need.”

King Rogier pointed at the last knight standing before the dragon, “We fight, we attack, the dragon to prove who is the bravest, don’t we? To save the realm?”

All of the councilors turned and looked at each other, stunned, and then back to the king. “Yes, Your Highness. Yes, we do,” before they began a flurry of activity...​

B1177.7 Word has reached our pleased ears that the populace of the county of Tyrus has converted to Catholicism.

A1177.9 It was so ordered that there be formed an additional retinue of a trained soldiers to serve the crown.
(Player’s Note: a defense retinue)

A1178.2 Bishop Philippe of Cuaxà made Court Chaplain after Amédée resigns.

A1178.3 The Bishopric of Vic, in the County of Barcelona, has been renamed Sanctus Columbae by the request of King Rogier, after being told stories of Calum Cille (Saint Columba) in Scotland.

A1178.5 A representative from the Merchant Republic of Genoa has delivered 150G to the Kingdom.

A1178.7 Pope Formosus II had died. Paschal II has been raised by God in his stead.

A1178.10 The Chancellor has left for the county of Venaissin. Count Roderick a revolt against his liege Duke Jordan Corrino to replace him with Frederick Corrino.

A1179.7 Doge Eustache named Spymaster. Word has arrived that King Rorgues I “Ironsides” of France has returned to the fold of the Faith and is no longer excommunicated.

A1179.11 Again, a representative from the Merchant Republic of Genoa provided a payment of gold to the Kingdom.

A1179.12 Young King Rogier has been betrothed to Princess Eulalia of the Byzantine Empire.
(Player’s Note: many years to go, but when of age this is in line to gain an alliance of the Byzzies I can use against France...)

A1180.1 It was so ordered that there be formed an additional retinue of a trained soldiers to serve the crown.
(Player’s Note: a skirmish retinue)

A1180.3 Count Roderick surrendered to Duke Jordan.

A1180.8 Chancellor Máel-Máedóc returned to the Council with evidence of a claim upon the Duchy of Provence. The levies were summoned to press the claim.
(Player’s Note: Provence had a concerning alliance with Pisa, but they were embroiled in an embargo war elsewhere.)

A1181.8 Arles fell to the siege of Jerusalem.

A1181.8 Doge Jean I elevated in election within Navarra. Ordoño Jimena made Duke of Galilee. The title Duke of Oultrejourdain was created and given to Count Florènç Corrino of Kerak, and he was named spymaster.

A1181.9 A revolt of peasants in Tyrus was put down by soldiers of the Kingdom.

A1181.11 Forcalquier fell to the siege of Jerusalem.

A1182.3 Jerusalem won the siege of Aix. Princess Orenna Corrino, the King’s aunt, was wed to Salvador Corrino.

B1182.4 The populace of Safed has been said to convert to Catholicism.

A1182.5 Apt fell to the siege of Jerusalem.

A1182.11 Grimaud was won by Jerusalem through siege.

A1182.12 Orange was taken by Jerusalem after siege. Princess Anirul, the King’s Aunt, married Ermenga Corrino.

A1183.2 Embrun was taken by Jerusalem after siege. A revolt of peasants in Acre was put down by soldiers of the Kingdom.

A1183.2 Avignon was taken by Jerusalem after siege, and the Duchy of Provence surrender to Jerusalem. The King’s aunt, heir, and guardian Elisa Corrino died a natural death at 30.
11836j.jpg

(Player’s Note: Holy Roman Hell. The AI merged the HRE and the Eastern Empire. I’ve never seen that before.
11843.jpg

This, as an aside, ruined my betrothal to get an alliance to the ERE as future pop-in-law became a lowly duke. No idea what happened to be honest, but man that giant grey blob frightens me.)

A1183.11 The populace of Madaba has embraced the Catholic faith.

A1184.3 The populace of Beirut has embraced the Catholic faith.

B1185.1 Count Sancho of Empuries has murdered been murdered on the orders of Ermengau Corrino.

A1185.4 A representative from the Merchant Republic of Venice provided a payment of gold to the Kingdom. A peasant revolt in Ramala was forcibly put down.

A1185.6 Doge Jean of Navarra declared a claim war on the Hospitaller holding in Negev.

A1185.8 His Royal Highness, Rogier I, reached his majority. A Grand Tournament was declared to celebrate the occasion. Rogier I was wed to Eulalia Doukas, of the Byzantine Empire.
11858d.jpg