• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reactions:
39. The Second Timurid War
The Empire had forced the Timurids to agree to a truce. But the truce was only for one year. Konstantinos was convinced that there would be war again in short order. He began to prepare.

He moved the Scholai Palatinae into holding positions in the Levant. He sent the levees home to recover. He spent his money on new recruits into the Scholai Palatinae.

While he was making these preparations, the mayors of the Empire requested lower taxes. Konstantinos rebuffed them, for the Empire needed the money.

39-1.png

When the truce finally passed, Konstantinos saw that the Timurids had gone to war with the Golden Horde for their remaining Persian territories.

39-2.png

He relaxed a little, using levies in Gaul to attack French rebels.

39-3.png

When he had conquered those rebels, the French King was at peace. But then Konstantinos declared himself the rightful King of France, leaving the former king merely the duke of Oxford. Dukes that had formerly sworn fealty to the Duke declared their independence. Konstantinos declared war against the Duke of Valois and the Duke of Oxford.

39-4.png

Finally, on February 4, 1396, the Timurids again declared war.

39-5.png

Konstantinos used the same strategy. He used the levies of the Empire to besiege Timurid holding. He held the Scholai Palatinae back to counter the Timurid forces. This time, the Timurids were more scattered. The Scholai Palatinae were able to destroy several groups of around 10,000 men. But eventually a larger group gathered in Rafha. Before it could get larger, one group of the Scholai Palatinae attacked, along with one of the groups of levies. And were victorious!

39-6.png

The Imperial forces chased the defeated forces, defeating them in battle after battle. But before they could be completely destroyed, the main Timurid force appeared.

The imperial armies retreated, doing their best to avoid fighting the impossibly large army.

39-7.png

Soon enough, the sieges proved enough to force the Timurids to surrender. It was again just a one year treaty, but the Timurids did pay reparations.

39-8.png

These reparations were used to hold a glorious Triumph to honor the soldiers who had won this war.

39-9.png

Konstantinos spent the following years preparing the Empire for the next war with the Timurids. But the war never came. In 1408, Konstantinos XVI died during an intense lovemaking session with his wife.

39-10.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
PS:

Reactions:
In 1408, Konstantinos XVI died during an intense lovemaking session with his wife.

This is just too funny :D Well, such are the risks when you are at a tender age...

Well done dealing with the Timurids as well!

Reactions:
This is just too funny :D Well, such are the risks when you are at a tender age...

Well done dealing with the Timurids as well!

To be honest, I was hoping it would turn out that way.

i find it funny that the roman emperor and Timurid khan look exactly the same

I hadn't noticed that before! How funny!

Getting awfully close to 1453... will the Empire be restored in time? Or will we see a restoration and/or a total domination in EU3?

Well, the game can be converted anywhere from 1399 to 1453, so…

Death by snu snu!

I wonder just how many tropes I've hit during this AAR.

Good stuff. Only had to fight the Mongols so far, the patches keep messing up my save games before I get to the Timirids

Yeah, it can be difficult to finish a game before the next path arrives and potentially ruins everything. I keep multiple copies of the game for that reason (and also for testing the converter).

Reactions:
40. The Wise
This was Konstantinos XVI of the Empire. He ruled from 1363 to 1408, just months shy of 45 years.

40-1.png

He had come to the throne during a civil war, one of many from his grandfather's reign. He won the civil war, and later finished reconquering the Mediterranean.

40-2.png

After that, he took advantage of repeated civil wars within France to reconquer nearly all of Gallia.

40-3.png

Shortly thereafter, the Empire was attacked by the Timurids. Konstantinos was able the convince them to agree to a white peace, and used the ensuing peace to prepare.

For the Timurids attacked again. This time, Konstantinos was able to force them to surrender. He again spent the peace preparing for another invasion. But before it came, he died.

Konstantinos XVI was succeeded by Konstantios IV, the reformer.

40-4.png

------

And that's it for part one of The Empire Strikes Back! It'll be a bit before the converter is good enough for this AAR, so in the meanwhile, ask questions about the history of the world, and I'll do my best to answer. And I'll probably create a thread to discuss the conversion, too!

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
My dear god(ess) this is going to be fun EUII AAR to watch. Can you tell us just what the problem with converter are?

Edit: I see that you are the project lead on the converter so I guess you will never the completely satisfied with it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Definitely a good aar you've had here. Thanks for doing it. :)

Reactions:
I'd love to see a culture map. :) How have your vassals been doing at spreading the Greek around?
Yeah, let's travel and see around the Empire now that the end is here. :)

Reactions:
My dear god(ess) this is going to be fun EUII AAR to watch. Can you tell us just what the problem with converter are?

Edit: I see that you are the project lead on the converter so I guess you will never the completely satisfied with it.

A little of that, but more that I want the major missing features to be in first.

I'll be sure to follow the EU3 AAR as well. It'll give me the opportunity to begin learning how to play the game as well.

I was going to say something self-deprecating, but actually I do have the EU3 mechanics down pretty well. I just have a bad habit of getting my troops stackwiped.

Definitely a good aar you've had here. Thanks for doing it. :)

It was my pleasure!

I cannot wait for the sequel!

Nor I. :p

I'd love to see a culture map. :) How have your vassals been doing at spreading the Greek around?

Yeah, let's travel and see around the Empire now that the end is here. :)

I've gotten a couple maps created (cultures and independent rulers). Anything else?

Reactions:
41. The Eve of Change
By 1408, the Empire was ascendant in Europe. But the Empire's strength was in it's people. How united were they?

41-1.png

In the East and on the Italian peninsula Greek was the dominant language. There were a few isolated locations that still spoke Armenian or Arabic survived, but these were minor.

In Africa west of Egypt, Arabic was the common language, with Greek rapidly spreading in popularity. Along the coast of Iberia, Arabic was also spoken along with the Spanish derivatives of Latin.

In the shadows of the Alps and in France, various doggerel versions of Latin (Italian, Occitan, Frankish, Norman) were spoken. Though Greek was also rapidly spreading through the French interior.

The peoples of Brittany still spoke a Celtic variant.

The course of the Empire would also be determined by its rulers.

41-2.png

Egypt had long been a united member of the Empire, along with Jerusalem-Syria. The latter was in the midst of a civil war at the time of the reforms.

Asia minor and environs had remained ruled by a series of dukes. Though some of the territory was also controlled by Egypt.

Most of Greece belonged to the Emperors, the rest ruled by Dukes.

Much of Bulgaria was also ruled by Sicily. The Balkan regions not controlled by Sicily were themselves small Kingdoms.

France and Italy were ruled by various Dukes.

Iberia had a King in Aragon, and Dukes ruled the southern coast.

Africa was ruled by various Dukes, with those in the western reaches expanding across the great deserts.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Excellent. Thank you for the maps.

Reactions:
Reactions: