Cities in Motion 2 – Timetable, Zones and Ticket Pricing – Developer diary #10

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thing Only I don't like about cities in Motion 2 is the fact that is comes out the week after my spring break, I'm going to be home all day counting the seconds, minutes, hours, and days til the release wasting away my spring break.

I've got a question to the passengers system.
On every screenshot, where there are stops and stations, we see a single number in the "info balloon". Are waiting passengers assigned to specific lines, or are they just waiting on a stop to get on the first suitable line?

I've got a question to the passengers system.
On every screenshot, where there are stops and stations, we see a single number in the "info balloon". Are waiting passengers assigned to specific lines, or are they just waiting on a stop to get on the first suitable line?
That's a very important point.

In CIM1, I wanted to make a metro line splitting in two different branches in the outskirt of the city. So I created two lines sharing a common core section. The system was totally inefficient because even in the core section, people were waiting for a specific line, no matter if both lines serve exacly the same stops afterwards.

In real life, people would jump in the first train coming, they wouldn't care if it's a A or a B.

Last edited:
Much as most of the other folks posting here, I really like this. I remembered reading about a few of these adjustments, so I like the idea a lot.

One thing I'm not clear on: Can we vary pricing by mode in any way, or does the game just have zone-based ticketing?

I see it is possible to save timetables, can you re-use them also in other games you will be starting afterwards? If I spend an hour setting up the prefect timetable, I would really love to be able to re-use the fruits of my efforts for ever. YES, FOR EVER! BWAHAHAHA!

I see it is possible to save timetables, can you re-use them also in other games you will be starting afterwards? If I spend an hour setting up the prefect timetable, I would really love to be able to re-use the fruits of my efforts for ever. YES, FOR EVER! BWAHAHAHA!
I do hope that there will be no such thing as Universally Perfect Timetable...every city and every line should need slightly different one, no?

Can you change the route number from the default "Line 1","Line 2"?(ie the route number that would actually be displayed on bus stops panel) That would be a great addition if it isn't in there yet.

Can you change the route number from the default "Line 1","Line 2"?(ie the route number that would actually be displayed on bus stops panel) That would be a great addition if it isn't in there yet.

I'd like something like that too, but unfortunately I have to include the route number in the line name. It takes up valuable space forcing me to abbreviate it, but that's something I can live with.

One had this ability in first CiM game. It is strongly unlikely that such a basic feature will be removed from the second game.

I'm so glad you like the design! Here are some answers:

Deville, there are a few different textures you can paint on the terrain in the map editor. The rocky terrain works great for the shore in my opinion.

Metropolitan, each unhappy passenger displays why they are unhappy on the station menu. It's really important to know the reasons so you can make your system better.

tal13s1n, citizens choose based on the price and estimated time to get to where they are going. Depending on the case, it might be a line that provides the vehicle fastest or one that has a longer waiting time but a short time to drive to the destination.

Butelka64, waiting passengers are assigned to lines and you can see the details by clicking on the stop balloon and opening the stop menu. At this point they first choose the line and only then proceed to wait. They may choose any new line if the one they are waiting for takes so long that they become unhappy.

David Comnemus, the ticket system is non-changeable. It is possible to not use zones if you don't like them, and there are plenty of ticket options like the monthly tickets and tickets for all vehicle types.

Boozdeuvash, timetables can be re-used in a single game. The maps and cities are so different that it's highly unlikely the same timetables would work for another game, so we chose to limit the timetable copying to one game.

Tooichan, line numbers can be changed. When you rename the line so that the name includes a number, that number will be used as the new line number. This way you can have some extra to remind you which line is which, like for example "North-South 102" and on the map the vehicles will display "102" as the line number.

Tooichan, line numbers can be changed. When you rename the line so that the name includes a number, that number will be used as the new line number. This way you can have some extra to remind you which line is which, like for example "North-South 102" and on the map the vehicles will display "102" as the line number.
Is that limited to numbers only, or anything with a number? Since Bushead would probably want to name lines with a combination of characters and numbers...

Evilcherry, it's only limited to numbers, sorry! The problem is that with letters we would need either two separate names for the line (the number tag and the longer name) for it to have a name with a short description and a short name that fits the floating bubble with info of passenger numbers. We felt this was the most convenient way, but it's not perfect.

I'm so glad you like the design! Here are some answers:

Deville, there are a few different textures you can paint on the terrain in the map editor. The rocky terrain works great for the shore in my opinion.

Metropolitan, each unhappy passenger displays why they are unhappy on the station menu. It's really important to know the reasons so you can make your system better.

tal13s1n, citizens choose based on the price and estimated time to get to where they are going. Depending on the case, it might be a line that provides the vehicle fastest or one that has a longer waiting time but a short time to drive to the destination.

Butelka64, waiting passengers are assigned to lines and you can see the details by clicking on the stop balloon and opening the stop menu. At this point they first choose the line and only then proceed to wait. They may choose any new line if the one they are waiting for takes so long that they become unhappy.

David Comnemus, the ticket system is non-changeable. It is possible to not use zones if you don't like them, and there are plenty of ticket options like the monthly tickets and tickets for all vehicle types.

Boozdeuvash, timetables can be re-used in a single game. The maps and cities are so different that it's highly unlikely the same timetables would work for another game, so we chose to limit the timetable copying to one game.

Fair answers :)

I think you missed my question slightly, but you answered it all the same. It sounds like I'd be able to charge a different price for a Metro than a bus (for example) if I read your answer right...which I really like! Thanks a bunch!