• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice update as always. How far ahead are you score-wise from the 8th Great Power? Is your position pretty safe for the moment?

I'm interested to see how your tech is going to go too. If you want to completely dominate the scramble for Africa, you're going to need to have researched Nationalism and Imperialism and Breech Loaded Rifles before Jan 1st, 1869 (so you can save up a years worth of RP to rush for Machine Guns). It might be quite a task - you may have to go a little late to the game unfortunately! It's also worth mentioning that when you research N&I, you can colonise a few more African states (all of which are adjacent to your current African states) before inventing machine guns.

Thank you everyody for your feedback.

Things seems to be going healthily - I don't see you dropping out of GP status for a while.

Having a small number of capitalists is annoying, and something with which I can sympathise, with my current game being with a modded-in Low Country (Essentially Picardie+North Champagne.)

As ever, his this a really nice AAR.

Thank you. There are few capitalists and are also poor... They seem to come most from the artisans' rank.

Hopefully you can continue to industrialize and colonize to help build your military and industry scores. They are looking a little worrisome.

Yes they are worrisome, but my small economy is a big constraint.

Biggest thing Keep up Prestige! It is how a small nation like Portugal can stay a Great Power. Aim for Machine Guns and Colonze Africa for the Prestige......and if you Can try to get the Techs and Build a Canal (in your Case Suez) if not put a little influence and get positive relations with Egypt to get the Tutankhamens tomb Event.

Well, Portugal is born to colonize ! We'll certainly do that ! As for Suez, that seems a little too ahistorical and I will probably leave Egypt alone.

Do what the British cannot and take some Zulus!

That would an option too, but they have a lot of troops.

Nice update as always. How far ahead are you score-wise from the 8th Great Power? Is your position pretty safe for the moment?

I'm interested to see how your tech is going to go too. If you want to completely dominate the scramble for Africa, you're going to need to have researched Nationalism and Imperialism and Breech Loaded Rifles before Jan 1st, 1869 (so you can save up a years worth of RP to rush for Machine Guns). It might be quite a task - you may have to go a little late to the game unfortunately! It's also worth mentioning that when you research N&I, you can colonise a few more African states (all of which are adjacent to your current African states) before inventing machine guns.

As you can see from the ranking screenshot, we have 149 and Bavaria 131. So not totally safe.

Getting those technologies in time is a top priority - after all, we are born to colonize!

1863-1870 : Expanding our protection and getting ready for the race to Africa

In 1863, we are at war with Tunisia. No other European power is protecting them, so somebody has to take care of them. It's our burden.

v2_1.jpg

We are industrializing, slowly but surely....

v2_4.jpg

In 1864, we are "protecting" Tunisia. But we are losing Great Power Status ! That would be a disaster, as we would lose our sphere of influence. Damn you, Bavaria !

v2_9.jpg

That's why we are at war with Abu Dhabi, to get more prestige.

v2_12.jpg

We prevent losing GP status by mobilizing. In 1865, we are now "protecting" Abu Dhabi as well, but we are still at risk.

v2_41.jpg

We could have actually solved this problem colonizing a couple of provinces, that became accessible after researching nationalism, but we didn't notice that at first. This is the colonization map.

v2_13.jpg

Instead, we tackle this problem declaring war on Dai Nam, who is begging to know more about the benefits of civilization. We do not need to mobilize this time, just being at war raises our military score. Prestige and military score compensate our abysmal industrial score.

v2_44.jpg

Militarily the war isn't challenging. But it is putting a heavy strain on our budget.

v2_45.jpg

To keep on fighting in the 1868, several cuts on the expenses are necessary. But the war is easy to be won eventually.

v2_47.jpg

In the year 1870, what was once Dai-Nam has become a Portuguese protectorate.

v2_18.jpg

The provinces of Zambezi and Zambia have been successfully colonized, which has given us a very welcome boost in prestige.

v2_19.jpg

We have, somehow, switched allies again. Now we are allied with... USA and Austria. Don't ask me why, they unally and then we ally again.

We make sure we have good relationships with every other GP and Spain, so that they do not get CBs on us.

We have steadily expanded our sphere of influence, preferably on countries which have a border with us - and there are now some in the Arabian peninsula and in Indochina.

v2_21.jpg

We have been using our national focuses alternatively on capitalists and clerks, but have been neglecting our industries and some are bankrupt. And the only one who is reliably making a profit is the liquor one.

v2_51.jpg

Luckily, the capitalists keep investing in new projects, so maybe the market will take care of the problem by itself.

v2_27.jpg

And we can't really throw money at the problem, as we haven't managed to pay back our debts yet. That's obviously our highest priority.

v2_61.jpg

This is our research status. We have chosen to research one last, useful technology before starting the run towards machine-guns and mindless colonization in Africa.
v2_29.jpg

We have also built naval bases in several overseas provinces, so that we will be able also to colonize generic coastal provinces.

v2_49.jpg

World and Portugal in January 1870.
V2_63.jpg

World map.
V2_MAP_POR_1870.1.9_1.jpg

Portugal map.
V2_MAP_POR_1870.1.9_2.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that was quite the rabid war dog episode :D In the end it was better that you've done things this way instead of colonising, since the low hanging fruit you got would be picked fast by others. But anyway the GP status seems somewhat secure at this point.

So and what now ? There is still some easy pickings to get both in Asia ( say, Khmer, Siam, Oman or maybe some Indian minor ) and Africa ( Zulu, Sokoto , Algeria ). OTOH most of Africa is open to you via colonization. OFC this needs to be after paying debts, but you can't lose much time deciding, since the Berlin conference and the Scramble for Africa should not take long ...

The Congo would be a nice addition to your possessions. I'm assuming you'll be invited? I've only ever had the event once, so I'm not entirely sure - even so, I 'won,' if you like, that time.

Certainly a different update in terms of pace/goals, but interesting nonetheless. Really enjoyable.

Just caught up with this, you have made solid foundations. Good work staving off the threat from Bavaria, hopefully continued colonisation and the slow but steady industrialisation will keep your great power status safe. Are Egypt or Korea in any sphere's of influence? Those are two tempting colonial targets in most games, with decent populations to boost your income. Egypt in particular lies close to your Arabian possessions, and a Portuguese Suez would speed up transport links between Arabia and your eastern colonies.

Thank you everybody for the feedback,

Well, that was quite the rabid war dog episode :D In the end it was better that you've done things this way instead of colonising, since the low hanging fruit you got would be picked fast by others. But anyway the GP status seems somewhat secure at this point.

So and what now ? There is still some easy pickings to get both in Asia ( say, Khmer, Siam, Oman or maybe some Indian minor ) and Africa ( Zulu, Sokoto , Algeria ). OTOH most of Africa is open to you via colonization. OFC this needs to be after paying debts, but you can't lose much time deciding, since the Berlin conference and the Scramble for Africa should not take long ...

I have enough infamy so for the next years it will be just colonization. Khmer, Siam and Oman are in my sphere of influence and there is no stringent reason to annex them atm. I am not sure what the Berlin conference does, we will find out.

The Congo would be a nice addition to your possessions. I'm assuming you'll be invited? I've only ever had the event once, so I'm not entirely sure - even so, I 'won,' if you like, that time.

Certainly a different update in terms of pace/goals, but interesting nonetheless. Really enjoyable.

Thank you. As I said, I am not sure about that event, as I am still a newbie at this game. We will see.

Just caught up with this, you have made solid foundations. Good work staving off the threat from Bavaria, hopefully continued colonisation and the slow but steady industrialisation will keep your great power status safe. Are Egypt or Korea in any sphere's of influence? Those are two tempting colonial targets in most games, with decent populations to boost your income. Egypt in particular lies close to your Arabian possessions, and a Portuguese Suez would speed up transport links between Arabia and your eastern colonies.

Thank you, I chose not to sphere Egypt and not to build the Suez channel because it seemed implausible to me. Right now France is "cordial" with them and if I try to influence them they discredit me. But I could sphere them by war... after the race to Africa is finished. Colonization is the raison d'etre of this AAR.

Since there are not going to be other updates this week, as I will be out of town, I might as well remind about the AARLander.

1871-1880 : Colonizing like there is no tomorrow

In 1871, we have finished researching Machine Guns. Africa, here we come! Already by 1872, there is only one Portuguese Africa, as we manage to connect our Atlantic and Pacific provinces.

v2_1.jpg

Of course, we have troops there to speed colonization.

v2_2.jpg

By 1874, Portuguese Africa has grown pretty fat.

v2_9.jpg

... and our troops are there where colonization is under way.

v2_14.jpg

We manage to survive a revolt in Portugal, even if the rebels catch an army who has a -2 defensive malus... But technology counts.

v2_17.jpg

v2_50.jpg

There are revolts in the colonies at well, which take us some years to put down completely.
But we keep on colonizing in Africa, this is how it looks there in 1876.

v2_19.jpg

We are concentrating on colonizing Africa, but the province of Muraleve next to Brunei is too good to pass up. Therefore we end up with a "Portuguese Asia" on that island.

v2_21.jpg

By the time other powers have begun colonizing Africa for real, we have already claimed a sizeable chunk in 1879.

v2_22.jpg

But there is another development we have been watching : a revolt in Spain is under way. Spain is in France's sphere of influence, but a government change there would give us the opportunity to bring Spain under our influence.

v2_25.jpg

By 1880, we have pushed further northwards in Africa.

v2_29.jpg

As we were running out of infamy, we picked Ethiopia as the next country in need of Civilization. In 1880, we are at war with them.

v2_30.jpg

At the end of the decade, we are a solid Great Power. Our rank is #5, but we are about to overtake the USA. This is our sphere of influence, which may soon include the Bourgeiose Dictatorship Spain...

v2_31.jpg

We have been through a "Laissez Faire" period and now conservatives are back into power. Industry is on auto-pilot any way, and still developing very slowly.

v2_37.jpg

The main legacy of the liberal government is low taxes - which we haven't got around to increase yet. We are in debt, and our national bank doesn't have a lot of money either.

v2_39.jpg

These are the technologies we have researched by 1881

v2_40.jpg

Another of my goals in this game is learning how to assign generals - who have way too many modifiers compared to Europa Universalis. I let the game create them, and I assign them myself to armies. So far, my main criteria has been only to assign the ones who have no "red" modifiers in no particular order. This is a part of the game I still find confusing.

v2_51.jpg

In 1881, we are allied with the USA, the North German Federation and Italy. Again, don't ask me why and how. We have good relations with most of the great powers.

v2_69.jpg

Maps of Portugal and the world. Yes, it is Austria who has colonized the Mauritania region.

V2_MAP_POR_1881.1.1_3.jpg

V2_MAP_POR_1881.1.1_5.jpg

Last edited:
Hum, that was quite a takeover of equatorial Africa ( I assume that the Berlin conference about Congo was not called due to the fact it was already fully colonized, BTW )....

On other news, it seems that Egypt is being overrun by some thing ( most likely it entered in one of those revolutions / counter-revolutions death spirals ). I wonder if it would not be better , for the sake of civilization, to send a peacekeeping force there :D

Hi everybody, thank you for the feedback.

Ahh Portugal, arguably the greatest nation overseas, yet arguably the green bit to the east in it's 'european' homeland. With your colonies create a massive colonial army and beat Spain with it?

Create a massive colonial army ? No problem, the problem is maintaining it, as I am still stripped for cash. As for Spain, why beat it if you can sphere it ? Not that beating them would be a problem, but the infamy....

Hum, that was quite a takeover of equatorial Africa ( I assume that the Berlin conference about Congo was not called due to the fact it was already fully colonized, BTW )....

On other news, it seems that Egypt is being overrun by some thing ( most likely it entered in one of those revolutions / counter-revolutions death spirals ). I wonder if it would not be better , for the sake of civilization, to send a peacekeeping force there :D

Yes, Africa went smoothly. Intervening in Egypt may not be a good idea, as it is in France's sphere of influence. As of now we don't want that kind of enemy...

Well, Africa is looking suitably green. Well done on getting all your colonising done in such a timely manner.

Really nicely done, as ever.

Great job colonizing! How did the Dutch even GET to subSaharan Africa (in the middle, north of Sokoto? Seems like they wouldn't have been allowed to colonize there.

In Victoria, when assigning generals, I usually think to myself, "what do I need this army to do?" And then assign a general accordingly. If they're likely to be on defense, or especially if I know an enemy army is going to attack, I'll pick a general high in defense. If I'm mounting an attack I'll pick a high attack general. If speed is important, like "I'm going to lose that battle if I don't get defenders there quickly", I'll assign a high-speed general. If I have an army that desperately needs to recover organization, I'll assign a high Morale general.

If you have a general who's good at attack, and bad at defense, or the opposite, then assign him where he's never going to be in the situation where he's bad.

Rensslaer

Might I suggest that with your low infamy and a potential regime change in Spain, that this is a great opportunity to expand your nation's size in Europe by taking a state or two from Spain?

Hi everybody, sorry for not updating in a while. Real life and nice weather have caught up with me.

@DensleyBlair, sprites, Lord Octavian: Thank you !

@Rensslaer: No idea how the Dutch got there. Thank you for your tips about the generals - I'll try and get the hang of it.

@Spartan_Patriot: Not sure, as I said, I prefer sphering them.

I'll try and post an update this weekend.

1881-1883: First Great War

Remember how I told you that I am not paying attention to diplomacy ? Well, in Victoria and in real life, nothing goes unpunished. In fact, in 1861, I end up being in a war I couldn't care less about. That's because I answered the NGF's call to arms, who has been attacked by France.

v2_1.jpg

Well, I am allied with the strongest and the second-strongest country in the world. Nothing can go wrong, right ?
But first things first, we need to annex Ethiopia.

v2_5.jpg

By December 1881, the protectorate over Ethiopia has been established.

v2_6.jpg

and in a major diplomatic breakthrough, Spain is now in Portugal's sphere of influence.

v2_10.jpg

But Germany is fighting virtually alone against the rest of Europe.

v2_7.jpg

v2_8.jpg

We try to distract the French in the Pyrenees, but our Army technology is lower and we get pushed back.

v2_9.jpg

By September 1882 Germany breaks down. It is obvious that we are not going to win this war. Regrettably, this is a Great War, so somebody will have to capitulate and that will be us.

v2_15.jpg

v2_16.jpg

Things are going somewhat better on the sea and in Africa, but not well enough to turn this war around.

v2_18.jpg

v2_36.jpg

v2_38.jpg

What is scary about this war is that Russia has added a wargoal - acquire Douro from us. We can't allow that and therefore we capitulate.

v2_22.jpg

In 1883, the war is over. Germany has to accept a humiliating peace. Europe looks ugly now.

v2_26.jpg

What is even more ugly is having to pay for war reparations.

v2_27.jpg

and a lot of our armies have been disbanded. Losing sucks.

v2_30.jpg

Could we have won this war ? Should have we played as Germany during this war ? Will we recover ? We'll see. Luckily, our Great Power status is not in danger.

V2_39.jpg

World map in 1883
V2_MAP_POR_1883.10.6_1.jpg

I don't suppose going for Brazil would be viable at this point? It would certainly be entertaining to see the parent and child reunited.

Shame about that Great War - I'm yet to experience one, though Europe now looks incredibly ugly, which I would never be able to stand, so that's probably for the better. I couldn't even take an NGF Greenland ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with the affects of war.