• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice job. Well thought out.

I also commend you to stick to your rules , in spite of that bringing you much pain ... twice in 2 updates. Honouring the call of war against the Ottomans was surely not in your best interest and that mission ... ouch. I assume you miss those vassal X missions of other times :D

Austria seems extremely beaten up and, if this wasn't a game with lucky nations on , I would assure it would not rise again. But even then, it seems that you can deal with them now as long as they aren't the Emperor ( and with them being Protestant in a sea of yellow, that seems unlikely ) . Now Bohemia is a monster in the making ...

P.S Two strong Reformed nations ? Now that is a rare sight ;)

As long as that mission does take to complete, it's still very worth it! One of my favourites just because of the bonuses, although I rarely let my inflation get high enough to see it.

@Range : Thank you !

@Ricardo Rolo : Thank you. We all enjoy an alternative history and alliances fighting each other for real make for good stories. We fear nothing - but boredom.
I miss the vassalization missions, but I deserve the inflation mission since I haven't payed attention to the economy. But it should be feasible now that I have a fairly big country, and more than 10% inflation may cause bad events afaik.
I think Austria always survives somehow - but now at least know their place. Didn't notice the two reformed nations : Lithuania and Burgundy - interesting.

@Minigrinch: Yeah I also the mission is worth completing, and I shouldn't have let the inflation climb that high....

Country Profile : Münster

Apart from the usual suspects, there is a country in Northern Europe, Münster, who is somewhat bigger than usual.

EU3_1.jpg

It is a country whose story is worth telling. In the year 1472, Münster was just an OPM.

EU3_21.jpg

But in 1474, Hannover declared independence from Burgundy. Immediately, Münster seized this opportunity to declare war on the new-born country, who has no friends and army.

EU3_22.jpg

The war lasted some years. In the year 1479, Münster was a two-provinces minor.

EU3_17.jpg

In 1480, Münster started the reconquest of Gelre. The OPM had a couple of allies, who couldn't really help.

EU3_23.jpg

By 1482, Gelre was annexed. The war dragged on, but soon ended in white peace.

EU3_16.jpg

In 1492, Münster was at war again. This time it was the Reconquest of Oldenburg.

EU3_11.jpg

The result was the annexation of Oldenburg. Then many years passed, and this was Münster in 1495.

EU3_24.jpg

In 1518, Münster was in the reconquest of Friesland. But for some reason, they had peaced Friesland and ended up being at war with Mecklemburg and Brunswick.

EU3_9.jpg

The result had been the annexation of the two-province minor Brunswick. But in 1524, Münster was fighting the 2nd reconquest of Friesland.

EU3_7.jpg

The result was the annexation of Friesland and Münster as we know it today, in the year 1530.

EU3_2.jpg

Münster is a Theocracy. It isn't a rich country, also because of its sliders who aren't really exciting.

EU3_3.jpg

you do this screenshots about other countries "on the fly" while you play Venice or you just have so many saves to load up as them? I am just curious.

you do this screenshots about other countries "on the fly" while you play Venice or you just have so many saves to load up as them? I am just curious.

I have a lot of savefiles and a couple of big hard drives :)

1531-1541: The big, bad inflation monster

The war between Aragon and Austria ended almost with Status Quo, I think Austria had to release Baden and pay or something.

EU3_3.jpg

But we have problems of our own now. Like, how to curb inflation. For this, our first step is replace the Espionage NI (that we picked for RP) with the National Bank NI.

EU3_1.jpg

Three loans are still outstanding, which are costing us an arm and a leg.

EU3_31.jpg

We need money. Lot of money. Therefore, using the Aragon provinces als springboard, we invade the Aztecs and we milk them for around 2000 ducats.

EU3_4.jpg

Regrettably, by 1533, the inflation has actually gone up. But we have money to... pay back our loans.

EU3_8.jpg

In March 1535, we get called to arms by Bohemia, who is attempting to conquer Bavaria. Big Bohemia can handle this on his own, we think, and we don't even bother to increase army maintainance. Our vassals occupy a couple of their provinces, and we milk Bavaria for money in a separate peace.

EU3_9.jpg

By 1536, our naval technology and an advisor allow to found colonies in South America at last . The best provinces are already taken, therefore we have to content ourselves with the tropical provinces of Suriname, Demerara and Cayenne.

EU3_13.jpg

But we are lucky, we strike gold in Suriname. Our long term plan is build a COT there to get something out the New World's trade, but there is already one in Grao Para, belonging to Castille.

EU3_14.jpg

This is how it looks in South America in 1536.

EU3_15.jpg

In 1538, a slider move towards "Free Subjects" removes 2 inflation. We have almost paid back our loans.

EU3_28.jpg

We have recovered a lot of manpower. We decide to attack Mali, to conquer their gold provinces and to connect Tarza to our other African provinces in South-West Africa. If we don't do that, Sweden will sooner or later.

EU3_27.jpg

By 1539, the two gold provinces of Bambuk and Bure belong to Venice, and colonization will allow us to connect them to the southern provinces soon.

EU3_23.jpg

After spending virtually all of our magistrates on culture, we have managed to hire a 6-star master of mint. Everything helps.

EU3_25.jpg

By April 1541, we have a very solid "Venetian Africa"

EU3_20.jpg

In Europe, the most important changes are Bohemia annexing Bavaria and conquering some Poland provinces, France annexing all of Portugal's provinces but Lisbon, and Ukraine also conquering a couple of provinces from Poland, who becomes a fairly unsignificant country.

EU3_16.jpg

Our inflation stays somewhat stable until 1541. We go back to minting, since we want to pay back that last loan of ours. We now have a 9-ADM doge, which might make the -1 inflation event kick in.

EU3_33.jpg

But why do we complain ? We are back to having the highest income in the world.

EU3_34.jpg

Situation in the new world in April 1541.

EU3_35.jpg

We are back to trading in Alexandria and Thrace, both we and the Turks don't hold grudges. We are now trading also in Ile de France, Lisboa, Grao Para and Astrakhan, and new COTs have popped up, in Wien and Ulm.

EU3_36.jpg

Last edited:
True, it is worth mentioning that we expanded it and Bohemia is trading through Venice too. We also bought trade rights whereever it was possible. Our African provinces also trade through Venice.

EU3_38.jpg

Good Progress.

Can we see the Ledger on the Trade Centers?

meh, colonizing Africa is way too easy in EU - countries really shouldn't bother themselves with that land. heck, even in Vicky2 it takes some time to reach the tech when you are actually able to gain a foothold there.

also I wonder just what could you spend all that money on o_O

;)

Good Progress.

Can we see the Ledger on the Trade Centers?

Uh... isn't that the last screenshot in the update ? Or do you mean something else ?

Uh... isn't that the last screenshot in the update ? Or do you mean something else ?

Yep. I mean the ledger page with values of each center. :)

meh, colonizing Africa is way too easy in EU - countries really shouldn't bother themselves with that land. heck, even in Vicky2 it takes some time to reach the tech when you are actually able to gain a foothold there.

also I wonder just what could you spend all that money on o_O

;)

Yeah true. Maybe they all go away when industrialization begins.

I will need all the money I can get if I want to reduce inflation.... And then, I can always build manufactories.

Yep. I mean the ledger page with values of each center. :)

I think it is the same, but sorted by COT value...

EU3_39.jpg

Great game. I also liked your telling of the history of Munster.

Who would you say is your natural enemy now? Or, which country do you fear the most?

Great game. I also liked your telling of the history of Munster.

Who would you say is your natural enemy now? Or, which country do you fear the most?

Thank you. The Ottoman Empire is probably our natural enemy, and France, while not hostile yet, is pretty scary too.

1543-1553 : Some wars against the tribes

In 1543, we declared war on the Aztecs. We had no infamy, we hoped to get some money out of them, and being at war is a good way not to get dragged into pointless wars by your allies. That, and we were bored.

EU3_1.jpg

By September 1543, the war is over. Regrettably, the Aztecs didn't have a lot of money, so we got three provinces out of them.

EU3_2.jpg

Of course, if we are at peace, our allies won't leave us alone for long. The Aragonese started the conquest of Songhai in 1545, and we had to help them. Sort of.

EU3_5.jpg

We opted out of the war in 1546, and we got the province of Kumasi, where gold is to be found. Not the best choice infamy-wise. We have to start these wars ourselves.

EU3_7.jpg

Before we have a chance to do that, Aragon drags us into another war, against Sicily, the reconquest of Messina. Our vassals enthusiastically occupy Sicily, so that all of Sicily ends up being occupied by Venice.

EU3_8.jpg

But the Sicilians won't accept any kind of peace but annexation, which we don't want to do (12 infamy !) so after a while the Aragonese peaces them for money.
It is about time we start a war ourselves. In 1549, we are at war with the Zapotecs.

EU3_11.jpg

By 1550, we have acquired some new rich provinces in the new world.
This region is now called the "Venetian Aztec".

EU3_16.jpg

We are still at war with the Incas. This is what we know about them. Maybe we should try and find out more about them ?

EU3_17.jpg

We do that. By 1551, we reach the Incan land, which we can now explore without conquestadores since we are at war with them.

EU3_15.jpg

By October 1552, we have learnt where their capital is and most of their provinces are also known. It is a good time to make peace.

EU3_14.jpg

We enter the year 1553, and we have over 2000 ducats. Our inflation is slowly reaching our target, and we have no debts.

EU3_27.jpg

... while Venice's income is still solidly the highest in the world.

EU3_22.jpg

So Venice was pretty successfully in this decade. But we can't go on telling the history of the Merchant Republic without citing some historical sources from this period. They show how close the Merchant Republic was to making very bad decisions, which would have led to a dramatically different historic result. But more about that in the next update.