• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome, Beakmiester! You're right... my invasion might be misconstrued as an attempt to grab all the marbles, and maybe they wouldn't feel so great about that. In reality, I doubted their ability to capture the British Isles on their own.... ...which maybe they might not feel so great about either. :D But if they have hard feelings, it's tough -- they need to focus on getting their OWN tanks pointed in the right direction! :)

Thanks for saying hi!
Rensslaer

Even if you miss all the English loot, you will still get North Irland (if you can :)) and that nice ship building facility.

It does seem that the brits were completely caught backpedalling by your disembark ( the last pic of Scotland is extremely elucidative about how the UK forces there are in complete disarray ). To be honest I was expecting a little more of a fight by the UK ... or that is for later chapters ? :D The truth is that the surely existent London stack is still to be seen ....

Even if you miss all the English loot, you will still get North Irland (if you can :)) and that nice ship building facility.

What do you mean about the shipbuilding facility? Is that a function that was added in later expansions, or do you mean the port at Belfast?

It does seem that the brits were completely caught backpedalling by your disembark ( the last pic of Scotland is extremely elucidative about how the UK forces there are in complete disarray ). To be honest I was expecting a little more of a fight by the UK ... or that is for later chapters ? :D The truth is that the surely existent London stack is still to be seen ....

Well, I've never been overly impressed by the AI when it doesn't see what it expects to see (or face what it expects to face). But to be honest, once a "front" forms, yes, the AI does get around to challenging me. You'll see some fast footwork, later, and this is not an easy conquest. :)

Thanks for your comments!

If anyone is interested, I've started a new V2 AAR called Serenity (Isolationist Japan)!

Rensslaer

As May wore on, we sent the 2nd Cavalry to claim more of the land of Scotland to the north of our landing sites. Incredibly, they were able to trap the top-level command HQ for the northern UK, and before long the Belfast HQ had surrendered. Hopefully that would tamp down the British resistance to the Axis advance.

10May1943BelfastHQ_zps7dfac646.jpg

Our drive toward Edinburgh is on pace. There are 5 VPs there, which we will add to our tally. Newcastle may also be ours – with 10 VP. Birmingham, further south, has 5. We will complete our linkage with the German lines, and seize our necessary port, at Rosyth.

11May1943VPIC_zpsed30f18c.jpg

Our fleet is bringing back reinforcements to help us achieve all this. We don’t really need them to lay idle and waiting in Portugal anymore – we’re not expecting Britain can mount an invasion of our shores any longer, and who else would there be?

In the meantime, we began shifting our limited divisions around the theatre in order to try to manage. This was a very familiar pattern for Portugal – go where needed, and don’t worry about where you’re not absolutely needed. So long as we could maintain the initiative, keeping the enemy off balance, we would prevail.

13May1943Stanraer_zpsd27fda03.jpg

On the 13th, the 22nd Division, which had been shifted by sea from Ulster, made it south to Stanraer, where it blocked the passage across the North Channel of the escaping British 4th Infantry. There was some question of how long they could hold this position, but at least it would slow the enemy down, and allow our reinforcements to arrive.

By the 14th, we had successfully taken both Edinburgh and Rosyth, and everyone breathed a bit easier. This would guarantee our staying power in this theatre, and being able to take over some more factories at Edinburgh, to add to those captured at Glasgow, lifted our base IC to 47 (total of 78 after modifications).

14May1943Edinburgh_zps658138de.jpg

Now, of course this cuts off the German route of advance to the south. This means they will eventually get part of Scotland, we will get the rest, and England remains ours for the taking… If we wish it, that is. And assuming no subsequent amphibious assault by Germany upon the south, which we cannot guarantee.

Can Portugal carry the weight of that burden?

As our fleet returns, they enter the Irish Sea – increasingly more confident that the Royal Navy will not be about. A landing is made at Newry, south of Belfast, and the 22nd and 26th Garrison Divisions are thrust into combat against the southern flank at Belfast, while the 6th Infantry spread out into the Irish countryside to link up with our holdings in the north, and also to offer a flanking attack upon Belfast before long.

14May1943Belfast_zpsd16e1e7c.jpg

The enemy battleships lurk at Liverpool, but aerial reconnaissance is keeping tabs on them, and it is widely believed they are out of fuel and cannot proceed to sea because of the shortages. If they had any ability at all, it was unknown why they would not come out to attack our fleet, as we were also landing the 21st Garrison Division at Carlisle.

Our fleet, just returned from Lisbon, then landed the 23rd Garrison Division at Coleraine, in order to harass the British 4th Infantry from behind, as she attempted to force the crossing to Stranraer.

16May1943Scotland_zpsc1193157.jpg

The Germans, by the 16th of May, had finally reached the Atlantic Coast of Scotland, trapping at least two British divisions in the extreme north. Only one British full division remained in the territory adjacent to Portuguese positions in the north.

Belfast fell on the 17th, the defenders moving north to join the British 4th Infantry at Larne, as it attempted to push across the straits into Scotland.

17May1943Newcastle_zpsa3f9cd3f.jpg

We turned our attention southward, and already we were pushing quickly in that direction, without notable opposition.

The 18th Infantry entered Newcastle on the 19th, which was an important milestone. But they were immediately attacked from without by the advancing 51st Highlanders, who had just arrived on scene from bases in Anglia. They were spoiling for a fight, upset that they had been beaten to their defensive objective.

18May1943Newcastle_zps9ca2b9ba.jpg

The 21st Garrison Division moved as quickly as it was able to attempt to flank the 51st, but they were entirely on foot, and their movement was slow.

The 2nd Cavalry, then, was called, out of the far north, to move as quickly as possible to back up the defenders at Newcastle. Already, by the 19th of May, the 18th Infantry was in difficulty.

19May1943Newcastle_zps6c6ff0c9.jpg

And yet, even as a setback was had for the Portuguese invaders, the British Cabinet was already meeting about the possibility of capitulation in the near future. Plans were made, and, taking advantage of the scarcity of German or Portuguese control of the air in the western isles, a pair of Sunderland flying boats, on the 20th of May, was detailed to fly Princess Elizabeth (17), Princess Margaret (13), and Prince Henry (43) to Canada, as well as a variety of military and political officials, who would, in the event of a British surrender, assure the continuity of the government and the line of succession, should King George VI be unable to escape in the last extremity.

Nice job but you surely like to take chances; amphibious landings with garrisons near the port of Liverpool with BBs and CAs there? :laugh: Sorry for asking this but why is your infantry still at level 2? This confuses me a bit because they would perform much better with up-to-date weapons.

Mini-Update (as feedback to feedback)

Nice job but you surely like to take chances; amphibious landings with garrisons near the port of Liverpool with BBs and CAs there? :laugh: Sorry for asking this but why is your infantry still at level 2? This confuses me a bit because they would perform much better with up-to-date weapons.

Well, part of it is that I’ve grown accustomed to sluggish AI, figuring I’ll be able to get out of the way before they realize their opportunity. I half suspect – pretty solidly expect, based on what I’ve seen – that the British have no Fuel, and therefore probably can’t move a whole lot.

As for the Infantry II, THAT’s an interesting question, and a very good observation! :D

Here’s why…

Portugal starts at a serious disadvantage technologically, and has very little in the way of Leadership to make up for it. But it’s not as bad as it looks. When you view the specific stats for the units (which are fully upgraded to my current tech, btw), you’ll see it’s an “Infantry II+*”, meaning it’s not “merely” an Infantry II. It’s an Infantry II with some upgrades beyond Infantry II.

You’ll see I’m at Model 1938 for both Small Arms and Infantry Support Weapons. I think those are level 4 techs. That gives me Soft Attack and Defensiveness – the two most useful and versatile Infantry techs, from my point of view as a minor. I figured I’d be attacking and defending, but Soft Attack was good for both, and when I did need to defend, I’d need the Support Weapons for the Defensiveness advantage.

But I never had the Research Points to waste on the Light Artillery (which I advanced some, not much), or the Anti-Tank Weapons. I figured there was no way I’d be mixing it up with Armored units. Nevermind that I did – once in Africa, and once in Australia – but I’d never meant to. :)

May1943Infantry_zps24075b79.jpg

Also, remember that when I first started this game I wasn’t even researching Infantry Techs, because I didn’t have much in the way of Infantry. I was building Garrisons and Militia (mostly Garrisons) to supplement my small army, because I needed quantity more than I needed quality – they weren’t going toe to toe with the enemy. Instead they were going to be sniping at targets of opportunity, and then might have to hold onto them (Defensiveness again) against counterattacks.

So, ironically, my Militia Techs are up to Level 6! And if you look at a Garrison division, they’re actually Garrison III! :D Of course, this is because in Vanilla HOI 3, Infantry Techs and Militia Techs were separate research tracks. I don’t think that makes a whole lot of sense, and the HPP mod corrected that (maybe some later HOI 3 expansion did too – anyone know?). But this was the handicap I had – I started on Militia Techs, and later tried to catch up on Infantry Techs.

So that’s the long story! :D

An aggressive and bold move! I'd expect nothing less from you Rensselaer!

Thanks, Funnyman! :D It’s this “fight or flight” thing I have going on… If I didn’t fight every chance I get, I’d realize how bad the odds were and I’d run away!

Hey, this AAR is next up for an update (either Serenity or Imperio, rather... or maybe both), so you'll probably see another update in the next couple of days!

Thanks again for your readership and comments!

Rensslaer

I read your AAR from its beginning so I saw what were your research priorities (Industry, LS, coal, oil, etc.); but still I was puzzled why the infantry was still at what appeared to be level 2. Thank you for the detailed answer that explained a lot. :)

I read your AAR from its beginning so I saw what were your research priorities (Industry, LS, coal, oil, etc.); but still I was puzzled why the infantry was still at what appeared to be level 2. Thank you for the detailed answer that explained a lot. :)

You're welcome! Thanks for the question! Glad to have somebody paying enough attention to have noticed such a detail. :)

During all that time I was disgusted with the German AI for not invading Britain, and then for failing to properly expand their beachhead in Scotland, I wasn’t paying a whole lot of attention elsewhere. When I did finally look around, I noticed that the Germans had surprisingly taken the initiative mounted an operation that had apparently been going on for some time.

May1943India_zps6656cda0.jpg

Keep in mind that the Germans probably couldn’t have mounted such an invasion if we hadn’t cleared the sea lanes for them so that their convoys could support the invasion without fear of being sunk.

Past the middle of May, 1943, our job in the British Isles started getting harder.

20May1943Stanraer_zpsdd11012e.jpg

We were having an incredible amount of trouble dealing with the British 4th Infantry, which was trying to escape across the North Channel into Stanraer. Our defending unit – the 22nd Infantry – on the far side was almost exhausted, and would soon fall. Our flanking unit – the 23rd Garrison – attacking from Coleraine, was also spent, and had to cease their attack. They needed to recover – we had the ability to do that, whereas the 4th Infantry was out of supply and unable to reorganize.

22May1943Larne_zps70bd70ce.jpg

Instead, we had the 6th Infantry pick up the flanking attack from Belfast, on their southern flank. It was unclear if we would be able to prevent their eventual crossing. Eventually we decided to withdraw on the Scottish side, and to allow them to complete passage – out of the frying pan and into the fire, so to speak. They might have more strength now, but if we allowed them to cross into occupied territory and continue to suffer from lack of supplies, there was a time limit to their ability to resist us.

Our fleet was speeding south again, to pick up more infantry and garrison units from Cape Verde, and elsewhere. Again, we expected that the British Empire lacked the capability, now, or the inclination, to attack offensively, so these garrisons were not needed.

29May1943MoreReinf_zps100ed1c8.jpg

By the end of May, one fleet was bringing another two garrison divisions, and a lone transport was carrying the 21st Infantry to assist at Belfast. Yet another naval detachment was arriving in Australia to bring more divisions from there. Other detachments were in Africa and the Caribbean, also collecting more divisions.

Once the British 4th Infantry had crossed the channel, under the command of Gen. Cassels, it was still surrounded by Portuguese divisions, and wasn’t likely to make it any further. However, our units were weak and tired, and weren’t really in any position to put up a good fight against a strong British division in good order. Cassels attacked into Ayr, where the 15th Garrison Division was, and another long fight began.

30May19434thInf_zps585d11e2.jpg

The Germans, inexplicably, had gone into defensive positions in the north. Portugal sent high-level communications to attempt to discern why this had occurred. Rumors were that it was the Germans’ way of getting back at Portugal for having the temerity to step into “their” war.

In any case, the British were attempting to push south on a broad front against territory that was barely covered, much less controlled, by Portuguese troops. After the withdrawal of the 2nd Cavalry to Newcastle, the only unit of any size on the northern frontier was holding onto the city of Stirling, but they were facing a strong challenge by a British infantry division.

Ireland and Scotland weren’t the only places we were having difficulty.

24May1943Newcastle_zpsd5d1123d.jpg

The 18th Infantry was trying desperately to hold onto Newcastle, but the 51st Highlanders were tough, better trained, and equipped, and there were more of them. We couldn’t really stand up toe-to-toe with them. On the 25th we withdrew to make a stand at Morpeth, next to the 2nd Cavalry, which was recovering from a rapid train ride from north Scotland.

By the time the Highlanders had re-secured Newcastle and advanced to Morpeth, the 18th was still not in any shape to contribute. The 2nd would have to hold this ground alone. Fortunately, they had some assistance on the flank of the 51st, where the 21st Garrison Division attacked from Kendal. This put the Highlanders at a disadvantage. However, they were another of these strong, experienced, well-equipped and confident British divisions, prepared for heavy slogs. This wouldn’t be an easy battle on any front!

30May1943Newcastle_zps89ddf195.jpg

As time wore on, it became increasingly apparent that our position around Newcastle was unstable and trending against us. There was pressure from the north, and the city of Stirling was starting to be flanked. And the British 4th Infantry was still stronger than anything we had to set against them.

By the end of May, 1943, there were some voices in the Portuguese military and government who were starting to wonder if everything we’d accomplished in Britain was in the process of unraveling…

31May1943Unraveling_zps183bddfc.jpg

It's just like the AI for Germany to just sit there while your forces in the British Isles crumble.

Oh well, the AI sometimes it is stupid as a brick :/ And it looks that India was up for the taking , seeing as the Germans are cutting into it ... maybe in the end you should had left the UK to the Germans and grabbed India ;)

You must destroy that British 4th Infantry and those in the North no matter what! If the UK manages to salvage those divisions your invasion is doomed because the Germans are in sleep mode!:mad:

Edit: Maybe they are OOS?

Last edited:
It's just like the AI for Germany to just sit there while your forces in the British Isles crumble.

Well, I knew what I was getting into, at least! Welcome, Whitesoxfan!

Oh well, the AI sometimes it is stupid as a brick :/ And it looks that India was up for the taking , seeing as the Germans are cutting into it ... maybe in the end you should had left the UK to the Germans and grabbed India ;)

True enough! I figured India would be hard to absorb. Not that Britain proper is any less so. I suspect the Germans were nibbling away at India for a while, and I just hadn't noticed. They really seemed to have penetrated quite some ways, across difficult terrain, by the time I saw.

You must destroy that British 4th Infantry and those in the North no matter what! If the UK manages to salvage those divisions your invasion is doomed because the Germans are in sleep mode!:mad:

Edit: Maybe they are OOS?

OOS = out of synch? Maybe. Dunno. Something's wrong. The 4th Infantry is really being a pain. Like a monster that just keeps going no matter how many wolves are on it. You'll see how I try to deal with it.

Thanks for your comments, guys! Appreciate the readership, too. Anyone else out there want to say hi?

I'm about half-way through the next update, though no promises exactly when I'll be able to finish it. It's on the way, though!

Rensslaer

OOS in the main HOI3 forum means "Out of Supply", sorry for not being clear.

I'm used to people in the beta talking about OOS (out of synch) issues, with regard to MP mostly I think.

I should have realized "out of supply" but didn't. They do have that port there to supply themselves, but it's certainly possible that with 7 armored divisions that quite outstrips their ability to feed their tanks.

Rensslaer

Your units just aren't as advanced techwise as the British. From your reports it's you that seems to be out of supply.Really disappointing that German reinforcements have gone to India rather than England Your garrison units might do better. Your previous encounters with units givinh you a hard time has been to land elsewhere and lurethem away, preferably into unfavourable terrain. Pity the Germans wont release the units they have in Scotland to Portuguese command.

Not that there wasn’t good news to be had, as June, 1943, dawned.

Our military procedures were structurally improved in order to enable changes of orders in battle to be more efficiently carried out. This would help us to get an attack moving more quickly, even on the fly.

1Jun1943Reinf_zps887e5766.jpg

And we continued to load up more reinforcements to flood into the British theatre. Unfortunately, some of them were still across the world, and would take time to arrive. Others, however, were nearby, even if they were the substandard quality garrison divisions.

We needed all the help we could get. We were losing the battle in the Newcastle region, having lost the Battle of Morpath on 1 June. Our flank attack out of Kendal was ended, too, having lost much of its purpose. Those troops needed to rest and review how to best modify their approach with the changed situation.

The situation against the 51st Highlanders in the south could be rather easily handled, if we didn’t have a nearby situation with the British 4th Infantry at Stanraer, on the coast. Or vice versa. Handling both at once was proving a challenge.

1Jun1943Stanraer_zpsb1e8eb47.jpg

We had the British 4th Infantry more or less contained, on the Scottish coast, except that they were just so strong, and our units were relatively light and weak. It was like having a tiger by the tail – you think you’d have some way to control them, but so much power was beyond what we could cope with.

The 22nd Infantry at Wigtown hit the 4th Infantry on their eastern flank, hoping to slow them down and preserve the garrison to the north. Gen. Cassels was a far better commander than those Portuguese generals arrayed against him, and his troops were veterans.

4Jun1943Kendal_zps1789aef0.jpg

We did ultimately take Larne, in Ireland, where the 4th Infantry had recently vacated. But other things were conspiring against our victory. The British had apparently taken some lessons from the early days of our asymmetric warfare against them, and their mobile HQ detachments had cut off part of our conquests in the north, and were working to solidify their control again. They had brought in fighters to oppose our tactical bombers, making them far less effective and taking a toll upon them. The 4th Infantry had broken out of encirclement, and was moving forward along the coast.

And the 51st Highlanders had defeated the opposition in front of them, and had instead doubled back to flank our 21st Garrison Division at Kendal. This wasn’t going to end well. We needed reinforcements. Fortunately, they were on the way.

4Jun1943Reinf_zpsee8729c5.jpg

One garrison division was landed at Ft. William, on the coast west of Stirling, in order to stop the minor rampage the British Corps HQ was conducting. Another garrison division – the 13th – was landed at Ayr to cut off the escape of the 4th Infantry, and to further frustrate her very slow progress. For a tiger, she was moving very slowly, thanks to our various gambits we were laying against her.

We were growing increasingly concerned, actually, about the British 15th Infantry, trying to push her way south into Stirling, and presumably beyond into Rosyth or someplace where they could reconnect with British forces elsewhere. They apparently still had sufficient supply, somewhere – it could be supposed that since they were the only full division in the whole wide region of unoccupied Scotland that it would make sense on some level.

4Jun1943Stirling_zpsc0a029d3.jpg

The 29th Division held out until late on the 6th, when they had to give up on their positions at Stirling and move south for the sake of self-preservation.

The 3rd Garrison Division, once it had stopped the British HQ unit on the coast, moved to then cut it off from friendly forces entirely by moving toward Crianlarich. Albeit at a snail’s pace, as garrisons are apt to do (they would not arrive until the 11th). Time would tell if it would be able to slow the advance of the British 15th into – or, potentially, out of – Stirling.

5Jun1943Kendal_zps9ceb8fa5.jpg

On the 5th, the 21st Portuguese Infantry Division was landed from the Irish Sea at Lancaster in order to lend support to the 21st Portuguese Garrison Division (not to be mutually confused!), which was being squeezed by the 51st Highlanders in the north and minor support units on their southern flank.

This support was too little, too late, as the 21st Garrison was essentially spent by that point. It made little difference with respect to the 21st Infantry, however, as she still had the ability to harry those HQ and support units, and could then move into a position to muscle the 51st Highlanders from the south, once they arrived in the Kendal area. That might just allow other units, in the north, to surround her and finally bring them to heel.

6Jun194351stHighlanders_zps2a28f3d0.jpg

It was in the interests of making this happen that our navy dropped off another of our ubiquitous garrison divisions – the 10th – on the North Sea shore on the 51st Highlanders’ rear flank. This was not the end for the 51st – not just yet – as we had insufficient “real” strength in the region to pose a true threat to her existence, or even to her movements. But this was the start of the trap which would need to close upon her. More would develop in coming hours.

Additionally, the 22nd Garrison and 22nd Infantry Divisions (again, not to be confused) had successfully blocked in the British 4th Infantry again, holding her to her windswept perch on the coast. The 4th was actually suffering real losses, now, which slowed her martial march and tempered her dangerous temperament.

8Jun1943Overview_zpsd8747a53.jpg

It seemed like the 4th might actually be at the end of her long, amazing run. But that remained to be seen.

The bad news was, after having carved out a huge proportion of Scotland without much opposition, Portugal now faced some relatively serious opposition on every front. Nevermind that that “relatively serious opposition” was in each case a single British infantry division on each front. The Portuguese Army was not really built to stand toe-to-toe with the British, which is why this was happening.

The only other good news of this period in the 1st week of June was that new factories opened back home in Portugal, in order to help carry the war industry effort further.

So who's idea was it to put Field Marshal Slumber von Valium in command of the German invasion force?