• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Stem duchy titles are open elective for me, is this WAD?
not really:D

I tried to download from Media Fire but it just would not work. "Repair download" sounded like nonsense to me, but tried everything and no joy.
repair download always work in my experince, although Im suspecting its not really that there is anything wrong with the downloads when they ask about it, more likely its just a gimmick mediafire use where they temporarly block the download inorder to show a few more adds

I have been good for 3 weeks now, but i can't keep it in any longer, so i have to ask. What is the progress on the new release? :D

still a wee bit before we can give a real eta, but big parts of it is finished now.
It will be possible to get a peep at some of the content, in about an hours time here in the thread..........

Is the impassable terrain between Burgos and Najera historical? From what I can find the mountains in the area only block travel from Soria to Najera and Logrono, and don't extend far enough north to block travel between Burgos and Najera.
In fact, the War of the Three Sanchos was primarily fought in Najera and Burgos, heavily implying that troops could indeed travel between those two provinces in Medieval times.

Edit: And on a somewhat related note, from what I can find Viscaya was a part of Navarra in 1066, not Castille:
Europe-south-west-kingdoms.png

That map is of 1065, right after Ferdinand the Great's death.

Last edited:
DEV DIARY 2 Lands of RHOS

Good evning gents and gentry this devdiary will focus on one of theaters of war(and schemming) that will be getting the complete botox treatment for the next version of the mod.
Before I move on to the diary itself I would like to annonce that the swmh family has grown as Bertuccio has joined the team:)

Now for a quick overveiw of some of what you can expect in the comming version, let me welcome you to the Eastern Front.

Welcome to Rhos!(note that Halych-Volyn will be moved back to Poland-Lithuania, its only included here to better outline the main reworked area)
27BETAempireRhos_zps20e42861.png

And on kingdom level
27BETAkingdomsRhos_zpsfe11dce9.png

The kingdom of Rhos itself will consist of four major principalities; Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod and Polotsk. While Halych-Volyn will rejoin Lithuania and Poland in the commonwalth.

Northern duchies
27BETAduchiesnorthernrhos_zpsa6df4333.png

Southern Duchies
27BETAduchiessouthernrhos_zpsd5bc0bea.png

Eastern duchies
27BETAduchieseasternrhos_zps240ed1b9.png

28(counting Halych Volyn) duchylevel principalites, and hopefully achieving the goal of representing every principality above a certain size as it were at just before the arrival of the horde.

now for a closer look lets join army group south for a look at the Kievan lands, the backbone of the Rhos.
27BETAprovincesKiev_zpsaa47fcb4.png

a bit less boring with a bit of water eh?^^ A lot more provinces than previously. At the Duchy level; Kiev, Perezlavl, Turov, Smolensk, Chernigov, Novosil(Itil), Smolensk and Toropets.

Halych-Volyn
27BETAprovincesHalych-Volyn_zps199f7a94.png

Like Kiev this area isn't depopulated anylonger but got provinces to reflect its lesser principalities and its RL population density.
At the duchy level Halych-Volyn consist of; Halych, Volyn, Zvenigorod, Belz and Podlashye.

Polotsk
27BETAprovincesPolotsk_zpsa58f1237.png

A small state all things considerd, just two duchy level titles Polotsk and Minsk. But still most of Polotsk's small princiapility is on the map, making it 8 provinces in total.

Novgorod where it all began.
27BETAprovincesNovgorodwestern_zps5872e531.png

As visible both Pskov and Novgorod got their rightfull sailable waterways(I think you can all guess what that will mean^^)
Novgorod the great master, styles 5 duchy level entities; Novogord(thats the big white blob), lonely Pskov, Kholm, Belozeroo and Bjarmia.

Vladimir
27BETAprovincesVladimir_zpsc8e843b2.png

and in fertile lands of Zalesye, the crown of Vladimir awaits a cunning ruler, capable of joining the small prinicipalities into a fomidable force under his leadership(hopefully before the Horde arrives;))

Vladimir is composed of; Suzdal, Rostov, Ustyg, Tver, Moskva, Ryazan, Murom and Nizhny Nogorod

so that makes 88(counting Halych Volyn) provinces, where 80-90% is based on RL small principalities, while the rest is based on strategic important towns/castles(was mainly neccesary to do it this way for the far outskirts of Novogorod).

next time I will be showing Finland, the Baltics and a bit of the 30.000-40.000 kilometers worth(not shure what it equals in pixels :D) of coastlines that has been redrawn.

Thats all for tonight folks, I hope you like what you have seen:)

Last edited:
You have misspelled Vitebsk Aasmul, the little province to the east in the Polotsk duchy. It should either be Vitebsk or it should be Vitsyebsk, and not Vitbesk.

And no, it is not just Persia that is left. Eastern Africa will not be touched this time around. Western Anatolia still very much need a loving hand too. Arabia and Mesopotamia has not been reworked either.

I'll let Aasmul point out anywhere i have forgotten.

Last edited:
Is the impassable terrain between Burgos and Najera historical? From what I can find the mountains in the area only block travel from Soria to Najera and Logrono, and don't extend far enough north to block travel between Burgos and Najera.

Roughly 90km between the two running over remarkably flat terrain north of a bunch of small mountains. No blockage between the two.

And on a somewhat related note, from what I can find Viscaya was a part of Navarra in 1066, not Castille:

Vizcaya, Najera, Lagroño, Guizpocaya: All Navarra at the time. Their territory dipped a bit south of the Ebro.

Roughly 90km between the two running over remarkably flat terrain north of a bunch of small mountains. No blockage between the two.

Vizcaya, Najera, Lagroño, Guizpocaya: All Navarra at the time. Their territory dipped a bit south of the Ebro.
Hopefully the SWMH team will fix that for the next patch then :)
Though with another Castillan province becoming Navarran, Castille might need more provinces (or holdings). Currently they have the fewest provinces of the three western Christian kingdoms, despite being the most powerful in 1066.

wow, next version will have africa angland and russia added... so it's just persia to go and we have a complete overhaul of the map, right?

And no, it is not just Persia that is left. Eastern Africa will not be touched this time around. Western Anatolia still very much need a loving hand too. Arabia and Mesopotamia has not been reworked either.

I'll let Aasmul point out anywhere i have forgotten.
What will be left is; Anatolia, southeastern africa, lower half of the Arabian peninsula, Mesopetamia, Persia and some of the south eastern steppes.

You have misspelled Vitebsk Aasmul, the little province to the east in the Polotsk duchy. It should either be Vitebsk or it should be Vitsyebsk, and not Vitbesk.
Thanks^^ I see I have made a couple more spelling mistakes in other provinces too:blush:

Will Novgorod and Pskov be republics from the beginning? Because as far as i have read, that label does at least not fit Novgorod at all.
no they won't, they will only be republics when the become so historically. I will try to get that event module we have long planned to do, botched togther so that it can make them appear given the right circumstances even if starting at an earlier date.
I haven't done much work on the republics yet(need to finish all the mapstuff first) but hopefully there will be time for adding 5-6 in the north and 2-3 in the med(the north has priority inorder to stop the rampage of Gotland:glare:). Pskov and Novgorod won't be there in 1066 but the 3-4 others in the north should all be there at that date.
Speaking of startdates 1066 is actually a very boring one for Rhos, around 1075ish it starts to become more interesting as the midsized principalites starts to get their own rulers, so I will try and have some more playable charcters and a bookmark at a later date.

Hi all, not sure if this has been answered or not yet, but has anyone else noticed that some of the southern Italian cultures (I think I tried Sicilian) don't have any unique buildings for their retinue unit?
Its the same for all the new ones that don't get their buildings by culturegroup, it can easily be mended by either playing using PB and the compability patch or by including the vanillla buildings folder and change all the "culture = italian" to "culture_group = italian". We will be doing a propper overhaul for the buildings before to long, im not shure if can make it for this version though.

Hopefully the SWMH team will fix that for the next patch then :)
Though with another Castillan province becoming Navarran, Castille might need more provinces (or holdings). Currently they have the fewest provinces of the three western Christian kingdoms, despite being the most powerful in 1066.
Axl will have to answer this one:unsure:

Last edited:
Another thing, isn't Itil a bit misplaced. In vanilla it is all the way down at the Caspian Sea. Or is that just another Vanilla fail?

ETA: And when you have actually found a way to give Novgorod and Pskov sea access, couldn't the same be done for Firenze, so that it can become a republic too.

Another thing, isn't Itil a bit misplaced. In vanilla it is all the way down at the Caspian Sea. Or is that just another Vanilla fail?

ETA: And when you have actually found a way to give Novgorod and Pskov sea access, couldn't the same be done for Firenze, so that it can become a republic too.
In the case of Novgorod they could connect the lake there to the sea, either via adjacencies (I think that'd work?) or via making the river into part of the sea, like in Hamburg.

Hello there!

I currently play The Prince and Thane mod, as you may probably know Idib has began to update the mod. So, I apologise if my forth coming wall of text has no reference on the current state of the mod or the version that TPaT mod uses - I have no idea which version of SWMH Idib uses?

Anyway, I am currently wondering if there is any ideas to change the - incorrect - culture of Alba? In the version that TPaT uses it has "Gall-Goídel" as it's culture.

Scotland (geographically) and Alba (politcal Scotland in the 11th C) has it's culture as "Gall-Goídel" - "Foreign Gael" - which is wrong. Gall-Goídel culture is a mix of Norse (and Danish) culture and Goídil culture of Ireland, which encompassed the western Isles of Scotland, the Isle of Mann (which eventually became known as Manx culture) and the Víking founded cities of Ireland (Dublin, Waterford etc.). Scotland was "Gaelicified" not long before the 11th C however, it was the upper-classes, and nobles of Alba that spoke Gaelic and were of Gaelic culture (being put in place by the Irish warlord of a Brythonic/Pictish monarch). Now, while you might say the culture of Scotland is indeed foreign to that of Ireland the term "Gall-Goídel" applied to the Norse-Gaels of the afore mentioned places I said.

It's easier to speak about Scotland, at this time, geographically rather than politically (i.e Alba). Basically, at this time and before and, well, forever after Scotland is a mixture of many cultures - a mongrel. With the South-East a predominately Angle culture. The South-West Goídel. The Western Central Belt (i.e Strathclyde) Brythonic. The Western Isles (in this including Isle of Mann) is Gall-Goídel. Northern Mainland Scotland, Caithness and parts of Sutherland, should be Norse. The rest of Scotland should, for all intents and purposes, be "Albannaich". Now, while "Albannaich" is a term for the people of Scotland, rather than it's culture it would more than suffice for the purpose. Being that Alba's upper-classes and nobles were of Goídel (Gaelic) culture and it's low-classed folks still being of Brythonic/Pictish ethnicity, though they were beginning to speak Gaelic at this time - slowly. If anything I've said makes no sense and needs clarification (which is most probably does) just let me know! I am more than willing to help.

Again, sorry if this has already been corrected/spoken of/ignored :)P) before/in another update, but the currently version in TPaT mod, I think, is old. Is there a possibility to use a new version of SWMH with the newer versions of TPaT?

Sorry for the bla, bla, bla...

@Celtichugs: This is the culture layout of Scotland in the current version of SWMH. To my knowledge it is historically accurate.
Gall-Goídel is the darker blue.
XAU6ZtG.jpg

Disclaimer: I am not on the SWMH team.

@Meneth

Thanks, mate! :) As I say I wasn't sure if my-long-winded-point was still the case or weather TPaT was using an older version of SWMH!

Is there a way to use the newer versions of both mods together? Or, shall we have to wait for Idib to ask you guys to use the new version and port it into TPaT?

@Meneth

Thanks, mate! :) As I say I wasn't sure if my-long-winded-point was still the case or weather TPaT was using an older version of SWMH!

Is there a way to use the newer versions of both mods together? Or, shall we have to wait for Idib to ask you guys to use the new version and port it into TPaT?
You can probably just copy over the province history files for Scotland from SWMH. Anything beyond that and you're likely to run into compatibility issues, and even the province history files have the potential to cause some issues so back up the TPaT files first.

-double post-

Last edited: