• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
December 1944 - Eastern front & co

Eastern front
Thanks to the Luftwaffe achieving air superiority over the entire 1,000 mile front, tactical bombers of the Italian Air Force were ordered to bomb Moscow's infrastructure into the ground. Once the infrastructure reached a point where even the units in the city could not fully supply themselves, further attacks were called off. Two attritional attacks were launched on Soviet forces west of the Volga, with reasonable success. However a third attack across the Volga failed, to Mainstein's embarrassment.

ScreenSave0_zpsa0d8bdd4.png

ScreenSave4_zps5f888821.png

ScreenSave9_zps0e1296b2.png

ScreenSave12_zps58e92a35.png

ScreenSave13_zpsa7641350.png

ScreenSave16_zps19ac3769.png

ScreenSave28_zps69242ba6.png

However, Svoboda is lost as the Soviets managed to create and deploy an entire tank army in the area, forcing the German armoured divisions to retreat behind the nearby river. Rossosh, behind this river, was held by German units as the Heer attempted to encircle Kharkov. This eventually succeeded, after tense battles over Belgorod and Sumy.

ScreenSave29_zps00ff51f0.png

ScreenSave31_zps50df14f1.png

ScreenSave45_zps98488eb1.png

ScreenSave53_zps3c6d9a04.png

ScreenSave67_zps51fa31e6.png

ScreenSave81_zpsdcfdbb7b.png

ScreenSave111_zps511dc761.png

The Red Air Force dared to show its' face, with it loosing even more of it's ever diminishing aircraft and pilots.

ScreenSave18_zps08293378.png

Thanks to the help of the German and Vichy Air Forces, the loss of Svoboda was eventually undone and 5 Soviet divisions were encircled and destroyed in Bougchar. The units trapped did not put up much of a fight.

ScreenSave102_zps3955563f.png

ScreenSave116_zpsb6209318.png

However unforeseen circumstances elsewhere forced the German army to order a retreat order to all units north of Kharkov...

ScreenSave126_zps8a95c06e.png

Air war against the Allies
The Luftwaffe continued to repulse Allied fighters and bombers, even annihilating a lone US fighter squadron over Dortmund.Very up-to-date US fighters were worryingly seen over Vichy air space.

ScreenSave27_zpse720c239.png

ScreenSave33_zpsc1e3b487.png

ScreenSave39_zps734b2ae8.png

ScreenSave47_zpsa775aa4d.png

ScreenSave52_zpsd57f3783.png

The German interceptor pilots were pleased to witness and use the first ever turbojet planes for a European country. It is hoped the upgrades will continue to persist with such speed.

ScreenSave103_zps87cfaf88.png

V-1 attacks
The unbeatably fast and undetectable rockets were launched on the city of Birmingham, causing massive infrastructural damage and weakening the war industries there. Plymouth and Portsmouth later fell prey to the V-1s.

ScreenSave42_zpscc35cdbe.png

ScreenSave86_zps34f30783.png

Current German production priorities:

ScreenSave36_zps0a2faea8.png

Last edited:
The German interceptor pilots were pleased to witness and use the first ever turbojet planes in the world, and in history.
Hmm, sorry but in the 2nd screen on the Air War against the Allies the US seem to be using tier IV fighters... which means jet ones. So, the Luftwaffe is now just fighting the Allied air power on equal ground ;) .

V-1 attacks
The unbeatably fast and undetectable rockets were launched on the city of Birmingham, causing massive infrastructural damage and weakening the war industries there. Plymouth and Portsmouth later fell prey to the V-1s.
Err... that was the V-2. The V-1, by contrast, was actually interceptable, and some of them have been downed by UK fighter pilots or AAA fire.

Apart from those nitpicks, good update! No signs of an Allied invasion of Europe yet, either in the south or in the west?

Hmm, sorry but in the 2nd screen on the Air War against the Allies the US seem to be using tier IV fighters... which means jet ones. So, the Luftwaffe is now just fighting the Allied air power on equal ground ;) .
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification. I'll correct myself.

Err... that was the V-2. The V-1, by contrast, was actually interceptable, and some of them have been downed by UK fighter pilots or AAA fire.
I know that is thec ase historically speaking. But AoD-speaking the V-1s also seem to be undetectable, not one has been intercepted with the UK and US patrolling the English coast every day with ~16 fighter squadrons!

Apart from those nitpicks, good update! No signs of an Allied invasion of Europe yet, either in the south or in the west?
My update managed to hide it well it seems. I'll post part II of December 1944 now. :)

My update managed to hide it well it seems. I'll post part II of December 1944 now. :)
In fact, I had some doubts after reading this sentence: However unforeseen circumstances elsewhere forced the German army to order a retreat order to all units north of Kharkov... , and also after seeing a red battle dot in NW France on the minimap in one of the screenshots. Since you didn't write anything about that, though, I thought it might just be a false alarm...

December 1944 - opening of a Western front

All was peaceful and quiet in Italy, until....

ScreenSave57_zpscba4682c.png

The Americans attempted to invade Taranto! The Italian navy rushed to counter this unprecedented and certainly unexpected (in the middle of winter!) attack. The US navy had clearly provided little thought into defending it's amphibious force, with the out-dated Italian battleships being able to send the Americans onto the retreat.

ScreenSave60_zps39533ae1.png

ScreenSave61_zps9444bc15.png

All seemed stable until a day later when American forces were again trying to land in Italy, but this time attacking Catania. This time, German and Italian forces were able to repulse the invasion with little help from the navy, but at an immense cost. The German forces that took part were the 2 motorised divisions that were the last German forces to leave North Africa. Fortunately there was no order, either by the Germans or Italians, that North Africa should have been held at all cost!

ScreenSave64_zpse6ecc7ea.png

ScreenSave91_zps662db383.png

At the same time another 3 amphibious attacks were launched! Two of them in France, where there was no chance of the German navy to defend against the Allies navies. As fury and bedazzlement overcame the German leadership, the 10 U-boat units in Brest were ordered to fight to the death against the American naval invasion force, with just a colossal disaster for the Kriegsmarine ensuing. The Italian navy, once it had defeated the US force outside Taranto went on to attack the invasion force just off the coast of Rimini with another success.

ScreenSave68_zps15bb4a74.png

ScreenSave69_zps330c0bb4.png

ScreenSave70_zps547caa8d.png

ScreenSave77_zps321ba4d9.png

ScreenSave93_zps82c3e885.png

ScreenSave94_zps643999cf.png

ScreenSave97_zpsdd43f52e.png

The two Italian divisions that had initially been garrisoned in Rimini took irreplaceable casualties, even without being ordered to fight to the death it seems that is what they were doing. They 2 'divisions' barely even resembled a brigade. Italian submarine units were sunk in defence of their country.

ScreenSave99_zps2b4e404d.png

ScreenSave100_zps927db02a.png

Another bizarre attempt to attack Taranto failed, with losses for the Americans faring immensely worse then their first attack. Plus the Italian navy was able to sink several of their ships due to the hopeless persistence of the Americans.

ScreenSave73_zpsb68a379a.png

ScreenSave76_zps0d3c54fe.png

ScreenSave88_zps61854abe.png

Another attack on Rimini ensued with some chance of success for the Americans, until the Italian navy once again spotted the naval force and sent them on the retreat. German submarines were able to pursue the American forces throughout the Adriatic.

ScreenSave108_zps348cc9e2.png

ScreenSave109_zps84901419.png

ScreenSave110_zps8df3a155.png

ScreenSave114_zpsdc173282.png

ScreenSave124_zps4bc95dee.png

The battles for Brest and Rennes persisted throughout all these attacks in Italy, until the fateful day of 29th December 1944 when US forces had successfully defeated the German forces holding Brest. Rennes was lost just a day later. The German leadership now has little cause to celebrate the upcoming new year as it is faced with a war on two fronts. Many of the divisions in France are now being re-organised in the hope to repulse the beachhead before the Allies have time to reinforce this invasion. All this has caused the retreat to the south of Kharkov on the Eastern front, in order to free up several divisions that will be sent to this new Western front.

ScreenSave118_zpsec7eea48.png

ScreenSave123_zps236ac9e0.png

Questions also remain as-to how long the defence of Italy will last, but with no Allied troops on Italian soil there is, at least, some cause for celebration amongst the German leadership.

Last edited:
In fact, I had some doubts after reading this sentence: However unforeseen circumstances elsewhere forced the German army to order a retreat order to all units north of Kharkov... , and also after seeing a red battle dot in NW France on the minimap in one of the screenshots. Since you didn't write anything about that, though, I thought it might just be a false alarm...
Well spotted, I tried to minimise that info as much as possible. I was worried the Hungarian bombers saying "naval strike: Adriatic sea" would also give it away, but then that could be seen as general attacks on Allied ships. I was going to try and include it all in one update but there were too many screenshots. Plus I think the opening of a Western front deserves it's own update!

(...) Plus I think the opening of a Western front deserves it's own update!
It definitely does! This AAR is entering its crucial phase now... keep it up!!!

So, now it has begun! December 30th, 1944 will forever be a "day of infamy" if you are in the Wehrmacht!

Unless the US AI doesn't follow up, or Mr_BOnarpte pulls off a miracle. Meanwhile... back at the Russian front.... .... ....

But I must say all your IC sliders WERE looking fantastic. Of course, they don't look the same anymore, I suppose. Another please?

The German leadership now has little cause to celebrate the upcoming new year as it is faced with a war on two fronts.

It could have been worse, meaning 3 fronts. It is a bit sad to see the terrific determination of the USA AI while obviously failing due to really poor support for the landings in Italy. However, at this point I am sure Mr_BOnarpte would rather focus on catching his breath... and not criticizing the AI.

Last edited:
It definitely does! This AAR is entering its crucial phase now... keep it up!!!
Will do! :D (Although not as frequently as normal I'm afraid, I've found a few people to play AoD online with).
So, now it has begun! December 30th, 1944 will forever be a "day of infamy" if you are in the Wehrmacht!
It will!

Unless the US AI doesn't follow up, or Mr_BOnarpte pulls off a miracle. Meanwhile... back at the Russian front.... .... ....
Hopefully they don't reinforce it..
Time will reveal all. ;)

But I must say all your IC sliders WERE looking fantastic. Of course, they don't look the same anymore, I suppose. Another please?
Why thankyou, and another one will come up soon.

It could have been worse, meaning 3 fronts. It is a bit sad to see the terrific determination of the USA AI while obviously failing due to really poor support for the landings in Italy. However, at this point I am sure Mr_BOnarpte would rather focus on catching his breath... and not criticizing the AI.
Indeed I would! It was such a surprise, did not expect Overlord and Husky to happen at the same time at all. Either a clever(-ish) AI or a very lucky one.

January 1945

With the dawn of a new year the German leadership could still not ignore or disregard the American invasion of France during this time that is supposed to be cause for celebration.

Western Front
The German troops in France were so vastly outdated it took a matter of days to provide the upgrades to an acceptable standard. Many divisions on the eastern front were sent westwards.
ScreenSave139_zpsd66ab297.png

ScreenSave145_zpsfb4cb042.png

However these troops were not needed as the US did not reinforce their invasion, and over-ambitiously went on the offensive regardless. They soon over-stretched themselves and, after a month of attacks and counter-attacks, were repulsed by German and Vichy troops. The German leadership can now breath a huge sigh of relief at such a turnaround! The Atlantik wall is secure once again.

ScreenSave152_zpsca68c996.png

ScreenSave156_zps5d11cc93.png

ScreenSave167_zpse9ee9bfe.png

ScreenSave172_zps5156dbba.png

ScreenSave174_zps2f4e29ab.png

ScreenSave186_zpsf2ee250d.png

ScreenSave195_zps4061ca5d.png

ScreenSave200_zpsd2a739b6.png

ScreenSave201_zpseb86edde.png

ScreenSave213_zpsf7981155.png

ScreenSave221_zpsa6cf8260.png

ScreenSave225_zpsd5d86033.png

US and British convoys were sunk off the coast, showing the continued relevance of submarines. The naval minister Dönitz now regrets his order of last month to the 10 U-boat units in Brest to fight to the death. Convoy raiding is where they excel at.

ScreenSave168_zps0b6df0ed.png

The UK, after the complete defeat of American units in northern France, decided to launch an attack on Dax. This was defeated thanks to the help of the remaining U-boats as the UK task force only consisted of light cruisers and destroyers. Just like the Americans in Italy last month, straight after defeat, they tried again and lost even more troops, and ships.

ScreenSave227_zps9b4f9cfb.png

ScreenSave229_zps42b77f2f.png

ScreenSave232_zps2cd1951b.png

ScreenSave237_zps6e695f49.png

ScreenSave239_zpsda64898c.png

Italy
US ships in the Adriatic were sunk by both German and Italian ships.

ScreenSave133_zpsc11fc77b.png

Air War against the Allies
The American turbojets came up against the German rockets interceptors over Essen. They flew so fast the people below did not know what was happening, with many claiming to have seen UFOs. The German leadership was happy to pander to this nonsense, in order to prevent their people finding out about this American technical advancement.

ScreenSave134_zps87163fb9.png

ScreenSave189_zpsf4160ce7.png

Eastern front
Meanwhile, on this seemingly insignificant front, German troops continued their retreat south of Kharkov. An ambitious attempt to take the city failed abysmally. A small attritional attack on Elitsa was successful. Zaporozhye is forcibly lost too, but Axis units can easily entrench themselves behind the Dnieper now the Crimea is in German hands.

ScreenSave150_zpsa6d34bd0.png

ScreenSave194_zps98e408a8.png

ScreenSave197_zps4ac8941a.png

ScreenSave233_zps3ff9e81c.png

ScreenSave234_zps03f96b2d.png

The Soviet Air Force took another severe defeat at the hands of German pilots.

ScreenSave190_zpsaf8a8ab9.png

V-1 Attacks
The continued success of the rockets seems endless as Norwich and London succumb to more bombing.

ScreenSave219_zps6a24fade.png

German production sliders
ScreenSave224_zpsb0f5e455.png

"Time will reveal all" ... to quote somebody! :D

Good looking MP and reasonable reinforcements slider. Well done!

It could still go either way..
It could, the oil and rares issue is my main worry. Also removing 10 divisions from the eastern front may have worring repercussions.

"Time will reveal all" ... to quote somebody! :D
:p I am extra-cautious in making predictions. Probably to such an extent that I don't like making them.

Good looking MP and reasonable reinforcements slider. Well done!
Thanks, but maybe I still have an over-focus on production. If Pang Bingxun had seen them, he would probably point out reinforcing and upgrading existing units is much more efficient then building new ones.

That total Allied failure in the West a ruined the suspense for me =/. I hate when the AI screws up like that. Your forces in France weren't even that strong.
That is true, 2 divisions for every coastline should be grossly inadequate. But it seems to be a hardcoded problem. I would've been 'lenient' on the AI if my situation was not so dire! But the AI did have nearly a month to reinforce the area anyway.

Wake up Mr_B0narpte! :)
We want updates :D
:) Maybe in a week or so. I've had university work, multi-player AoD (in fact there's a current Germany v.USSR+USA that I could make into an AAR) and a holiday in Germany that has distracted me from continuing this AAR.

Easily one of the best AAR I have ever read.
Thankyou, that means a lot. :)

:) Maybe in a week or so. I've had university work, multi-player AoD (in fact there's a current Germany v.USSR+USA that I could make into an AAR) and a holiday in Germany that has distracted me from continuing this AAR.

Totally understandable :) I know how busy this time of year can be (specially with university work)

February 1945

Eastern front
This month was filled with German counter-attacks against isolated and under-strength divisions of the Red Army. Rommel enjoyed several successes east of the Dnieper as he forced several Red Army divisions on the retreat.

A Soviet offensive near Stalingrad by 6 divisions was quashed by German panzer forces in the area, with the help of the Luftwaffe interdicting their supplies. An attack on Cherny Yar was easily repulsed without the need for reinforcements.

The Soviet's infrastructure was continually destroyed by German and French bombers.

The Red Air Force lost two interceptor divisions in two separate battles, as it has continually failed to be reinforced.

Air war in the West
The US Air Force sent grossly under-strength units into combat over Europe, with the Vichy and German Air forces sending them to their imminent destruction.

V1 attacks
The German rockets were continuing to pound the UK with great success, partly thanks to the RAF failing to interfere.

FDR dies
On 16th February 1945 an enemy of Germany died, Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It is hoped his replacement, Harry Truman, will continue the clearly failing military strategies of the US.

It seemed he tried to assert his authority as Commander-in-Chief with the order to take Crete.

However the Kriegsmarine was not prepared to give up the island without a fight, and they were gob-smacked to see...

Undefended transport ships, each carrying a valuable US division. But Truman remained resolute in his determination to attack, ordering the retreating transports to re-commence attack after attack.

Which ultimately led to the sinking of the US invasion force by the Regia Marina.

German intelligence reports
After checking the information from the Abwehr, it seems the US air force is extremely depleted. Even more so then the Red Air Force! This astonished the German leadership and led to a re-assessment of the Luftwaffe, which currently has 57 interceptor wings. It is clearly over-staffed and several wings will be disbanded, and current production of rocket interceptors has been ended.

German production priorities

Losses for the month

Last edited: