• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Quack, quack.

I know it's probably just a typo, but the mental image was great :)

That ex-King of Jerusalem has something coming to him, though...

So many typos this time around! That's what happens when I post while tired and less than sober, I guess.

Ahh, truce ping-pong. I remember ye well.

That Emperor had liver spots! I've never seen that in an old character before; is that part of a new portrait DLC?

I've got all the portrait DLCs, so presumably. That's also the source of various children looking different (it seems to be a different illustration style for each culture, too).

Yeah, I also noticed it :) But still great update.

Thanks!

The new emperor looks Mongoloid a bit

I know, can't seem to figure out where that came from. ;-)

You have truces with people, not to them. Interesting update - I look forward to your new Mongolian overlord. :)

Not exactly a typo, but yes…

Every leader should aspire to look Mongoloid a bit.

I hear 1 / 200 males have achieved such a goal. The rest of us not so much.

You sure like your Konstantinoses.:p

Indeed. I consider it a dynastic name. I'll probably write an event for the EU3 portion that enforces that name.

Worked for Genghis.
:p

Just so! largest contiguous empire is a bit of glory the Empire would rather like to take hold of.

Reactions:
31. The Great
This was Konstantinos XIV of the Empire. His father had lost control of the Empire to another branch of the Doukas family, leaving Konstantinos merely the Duke of Thrace. His father had died in 1267, when he was four.

31-1.png

Despite these disadvantages, Konstantinos was able to reclaim the Empire before his 17th birthday, using the still large Scholai Palatinae to make strategic strikes on the false Emperor's holdings.

While the false Emperor had been in charge, the Empire had begun to fall apart. Egypt and Jerusalem were lost, and the Emperor had little real authority.

Prodded by his wife, Konstaninos spent his life reclaiming nearly all the lands that had been lost, as well as much of the Aquitainian and Iberian coasts.

31-2.png

In 1328, at the age of 66, Konstantinos the XIV died, and was succeeded by his son, Konstantinos XV.

31-3.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
31a. Bonus Religion Map
Also, a religion map, because I find it fascinating how this is all working out:

31-4.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
IBERIANS! [necessary ALIENS here]

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Kick the HRE's ass...way back when I was playing a Roman campaign the HRE had a long stretch of multiple rulers each year. I think you know what I mean.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That Orthodox Spain fascinates me.

I wonder if we'll see a German-French Catholic League come EUIII. Charlemagne would be proud.

Certainly they band together for religious wars. That may push them together long-term. I'm pretty much constantly considering possible flavor events for the EU3 era, and that's a potentially good set there. Well, assuming France survives into the EU3 era.

Also, yeah, that Spain.

IBERIANS! [necessary ALIENS here]

Kings of Leon, in fact.

Kick the HRE's ass...way back when I was playing a Roman campaign the HRE had a long stretch of multiple rulers each year. I think you know what I mean.

I just don't see the Empire having much interest in the Germans. The Germans have more or less been removed from former Imperial lands, and apart from their silly claim to be the successors of the Western Empire (a claim that only they believe), there's nothing else that might be a cause for war.

Besides, I'll need someone to compete with down the road.

Reactions:
32. The Sicilian War
This was Konstantinos XV of the Empire. He was a content man, not seeking greater glory for himself. But he was proud, and would do his best to see the Empire returned to the full glory of its past.

32-1.png

He began by reasserting the power of the position of Emperor. While other might contribute men to any levees, the forces of the Empire were controlled by the Emperor. And the control of the territories of the Empire was by the suffrage of the Emperor.

32-2.png

Meanwhile, due to the presence of strong factions within the Empire, he moved the Scholai Palatinae near to Konstantinople.

Eventually, he was able to bribe or otherwise placate enough members of factions that several disbanded. So he resumed his father's wars. Unlike his father, he was dishonest, and so was perfectly willing to use whatever excuse seemed appropriate.

32-3.png

In June of 1333, in the midst of these wars, a large faction tried to declare their independence. But Konstantinos would not be cowed.

32-4.png

To fight these rebels, he was forced to raise the levies of the Empire, an act that had not been done in many long years.

By the end of 1334, he had smashed three Sicilian armies and successfully conquered most of the rebel holdings in Bulgaria. But the Sicilian armies had themselves conquered many loyalis lands in central Italy. The war was balanced, though it looked as if Konstantinos had the long-term edge.

32-5.png

The rebel lands were slowly besieged and conquered. In Africa, a Sicilian army eventually completely conquered a loyal county. They set sail and besieged Constantinople…during a typhoid plague. By the time an Imperial levy had drawn near, they were weakened enough to be easily smashed. Two other levies reclaimed the African county. And the rebels had had enough. On June 6, 1337, the rebel leader surrendered.

32-6.png

And so began the post-war recovery. The levies were allowed to return home. The Scholai Palatinae were at less than a third of their possible strength. They were gathered back at Constantinople to recover and train new recruits. Known plotters were commanded to cease. Previously ignored peasant rebellions were put down. And Konstantinos considered the problem of overly powerful vassals.

The King of Sicily had led the rebellion. He was also the king of Bulgaria, and most of Africa swore fealty to him. It was clear that such overly powerful vassals were a grave risk to the Empire. So he sent scholars to research the relationships among his vassals, identifying all cases where fealty was sworn on lines outside the de jure relationships. He planned to rectify these, though he knew this was a project that might take generations.

As the recovery began, he also called for a grand tournament to celebrate the victory over the rebels. He had no issue with making a point, repeatedly.

32-7.png

The Scholai Palatinae recovered quickly. In January of 1339, they were ready to again be sent to war.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Sicily in Bulgaria and Mongolian-looking Roman Emperor. I love the CK for that.

Is it possible to move the capital to Rome?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do hate how sometimes those vassals seem to just manage to somehow get a bunch of big titles under their names and then suddenly they have half your Empire. How dare they scheme like players!

• 1Haha
Reactions:
He had no issue with making a point, repeatedly.
Worked for Genghis. :p

While we are talking about vassal relations: given how effective your retinues are and how rarely you have raised levies, do you even need Limited Crown Authority? Happier vassals might serve you better here than useful ones. If nothing else, the pruning of your vassals' power might go over easier.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Great game!

Now something very bad needs to happen so that you have something to do early on in EU3:p!

Reactions:
Sicily in Bulgaria and Mongolian-looking Roman Emperor. I love the CK for that.

Is it possible to move the capital to Rome?

It is, but there's not much reason the Empire would want to. Rome is poorly positioned, the occupants speak latin, and at this point in history, it's more of a village in the ruins of the old city than anything. Contrast Constantinople: it's well situated as a port between the Black and Mediterranean seas, it has the highest population in Europe, the residents speak Greek, and it's at one of the silk road endpoints, making it strategic for trade.

I do hate how sometimes those vassals seem to just manage to somehow get a bunch of big titles under their names and then suddenly they have half your Empire. How dare they scheme like players!

I know! But it occurs to me that this could explain some the actions I plan to take in EU3…

Worked for Genghis. :p

While we are talking about vassal relations: given how effective your retinues are and how rarely you have raised levies, do you even need Limited Crown Authority? Happier vassals might serve you better here than useful ones. If nothing else, the pruning of your vassals' power might go over easier.

Limited allows me to revoke titles, which is helpful after rebellions. Medium allows me to remove titles from wrong-religion characters with no consequences. And from a roleplaying perspective, increasing the power of the Emperor makes sense as a lead-in to EU3.

Great game!

Now something very bad needs to happen so that you have something to do early on in EU3:p!

Well, I've still gotta finish reconquering the Empire! That may take a few years, depending how the next 50-100 years go in CK2.

Reactions:
33. Civil Wars
The Empire had survived a major civil war. The Scholai Palatinae were recovered. It was time again to reclaim old territory.

33-1.png

The war with the Germans was harder than it had seemed it would be. They were able to send several armies into Imperial territory. Armies that outnumbered any given nearby group of the Scholai Palatinae. But between attrition, solid Imperial generals, and the sheer power of cataphracts, each was beaten and driven back. In June of 1341, the ruler of the Germans surrendered.

After that, Konstantinos continued waging war against other rulers. In this process, he saw no consequence to breaking truces with Muslim rulers, so he continually did so.

33-2.png

But again, the wars were disrupted by a powerful faction attempting to declare independence.

33-3.png

Some of the levies of the Empire were raised, but not all. The war was initially hampered by the Scholai Palatinae being in Iberia. And after the defeat of several levee armies, Konstantinos raised the levies of the entire Empire.

33-4.png

In 1362, the civil war ended when the leader of the independence faction died. And yet the war for Aragon was still not concluded (the Duchess of Valois being a rather stubborn old lady).

Shortly after that war was won, Empress Thora died. Konstantinos remarried, but his new wife was not terribly fond of him.

33-5.png

In time, a new independence faction arose, and again began a civil war.

In the middle of this war, Konstantinos XV died of extreme old age. He was succeeded by his grandson, Konstantinos XVI.

33-6.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Oh god the entire Doukas family are Mongoloid.

I DEMAND THAT ONE SON BE NAMED GENGHIS.

BASILEUS GENGHIS I OF ROME.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Oh god the entire Doukas family are Mongoloid.

I DEMAND THAT ONE SON BE NAMED GENGHIS.

BASILEUS GENGHIS I OF ROME.
Genghis Khan was actually a title and not his proper name. Admittedly, Basileus Temujin Doukas doesn't have the sight rhyme that Basileus Genghis Doukas does, but I'd prefer the slightly subtler reference.

Reactions:
What were the modifiers that made his wife dislike him? :(

• 1Like
Reactions:
Come on Empire hold together old girl!

Reactions:
What were the modifiers that made his wife dislike him? :(

As she's a german salian, perhaps her father was the HRE, and thus the Roman's enemy?

Also he's like 6 times her age, and of an alien culture and religion.

Reactions: