• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TristramShandy

Second Lieutenant
23 Badges
Nov 22, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • March of the Eagles
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Knights of Honor
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Cities: Skylines
Cho8LpO.png

Preamble: A Brewing Storm
Part 1: India Awakes
Part 2: IceLand-Of-The-Free!
Part 3: Asian Lamentation
Part 4: Watching and Waiting
Part 5: Pan-Jabba-the-Hutt, you're on a diet!
Intermission: March of the Eagles
Part 6: Old World Fire...
Part 7: ...New World Fury
Part 8: European Fascination
Part 9: Sauerkraut and Perfidy
Part 10: The Quiet Years
Part 11: Persian Excursion

List of Freed Peoples:

I. India,
II. Iceland,
III. Wiang Chhan,
IV. Kashmir,
V. Ladakh,
VI. Azerbaijan,
VII. Zanzibar

Hello Victoria 2 AARgoers! Long time reader, first time poster; I've decided that, seeing how much I've enjoyed reading other people's AARs, maybe I'll have as much fun writing my own!

In this AAR, I'm going to play the game a little differently to how I usually play. Rather than trying to 'win' per se, I've decided that my overall goal will be to free as many peoples throughout the globe as possible! I want to see fallen empires, Armenians, Poles, Irish, you name it! And what nation could be more fitting for this noble goal of mine than the US? (Sure, we may have some issues with slavery at the start of the game... and some pesky Mexicans that'll need to be dealt with... but the devil is in the details, is my motto!) It's worth noting that this is my first time playing the US in Victoria 2. I have no idea what their flavour events are like, except that I know there's going to be a civil war some time during the 60's, and there's a point in the game when I get a whole bunch of cores on Mexico. Other than that, I'm completely in the dark, so please let me know if there's some cool event or decision I might be missing out on in my gameplay.

Rather than a set of strict rules, I'm going to institute a couple of guidelines. They are:

Don't blob out, or more specifically, only use / manufacture Free People CBs. I don't intend on participating in the scramble for Africa, or colonizing SEA, nor do I intend on conquering any colonial territory from uncivs. I want to establish modern-day borders, and leave it at that. (However, for the greater good of the world's nations, I may be forced to, uh, 'liberate' the Daming region and its lucrative gold-mine. I'll have to see whether the US's economy alone is enough to fuel the freedom machine!)

Prioritise above all else the freeing of peoples. I don't have any specific targets in mind, although I would like to destabilise and dismantle the Austrian empire, the Ottoman empire, and the British empire (especially allowing for self-determination of some Indian states.) Because this AAR is hopefully going to be pretty jovial in nature, I'd also like to free some pretty obscure nations from their oppressive overlords. (I'm thinking along the lines of freeing the Lakh people from Panjab, etc.) Having freed the various oppressed nations in the Victorian-era world, I intend on assimilating them into my SOI and offer an alliance to make sure more villainous nations don't re-annex them. If anybody has any suggestions for exotic nations you usually wouldn't see in the game otherwise, or want to suggest a people to be freed for any other reason, I very much encourage you to contribute!

Nothing gamey. I can't actually think of what constitutes gamey play, but I might as well put it in my guidelines anyway.

Unless I have a good reason (which I deserve the right to define in my own terms :cool: ), abstain from reloading any saves in order to get better outcomes.

Ok, I think that does it for now. I'm hoping to play and consequently write up the first few years of my game later tonight, so watch this space!

Last edited:
I believe you can free the Vientiane region of Siam as Wiang Chhan. Go for it!

Free the Kurds! And the Cornish! And the Catalonians! And the Iclanders!...
Maybe new empires will form from these free nations and take their former oppressors's place? Seems the US is the new world police :D

Fair warning about Ireland: Great Britain can get Ireland back by event. I tried to free Ireland as the U.S. myself, and two Great Wars later I didn't even get a pop-up telling me that one of my strongest puppets up and vanished.

Preamble: A Brewing Storm

January 1st, 1836. On this day, according to Wikipedia, a stuffy Portuguese queen married some dude with a long name (Prince Ferdinand Augustus Francis Anthony.) More importantly, although somehow absent from the annals of history, the US government heard the cries of the oppressed Indian people lamenting their Portugese overlords, and fearing further violence over colonial rule, decided to take the first steps to fly high the flag of Freedom! But I get ahead of myself. Let's survey the mainland as an appetizer.

POA6Ptk.jpg

Above, we see the continental US in blue. The states in yellow (Washington and Oregon) are currently being colonized at the beginning of the game. As we know, colonization is drastically sped up with the presence of troops. Because of the fact that nearly the entire US military is located on the east coast, it'll take a while to get troops into position to speed up the process. As such, it's tempting to immediately cancel the initial colonization and start colonizing Oklahoma and Colorado, but you actually start with ~20% colonization on Washington and Oregon; I'm not sure what the faster option is, but as this isn't an extremely serious game, I'm just going to leave things as they are and send some troops to speed things up.

The Republic of Texas is currently under attack from Mexico. I intend on intervening in the conquest, but not immediately. In the mean time, I'm going to position around 24,000 troops strategically around Mexico and Texas. I'm hoping that I won't need to mobilize this early in the game, so hopefully the Texan forces can put a dent in Mexico's military. 9,000 troops are set aside for a possible landing on Portuguese soil.

The US starts with a really accomplished navy. I've got about 10 Man'o'War and 10 frigates at my disposal, and 3 clipper transport. This navy is pretty overkill, but instead of scuttling any boats, I'm just going into the trade window and manually setting clipper convoy and artillery to 0. We also start off with Steamer tech, and more importantly Steam Transports already discovered, so I immediately commission 4 transports. After these 4, I'll probably scuttle the clippers and replace them with steamers.

6U1mgEa.jpg

An overview of the military: 2nd and 3rd Armies are beating a hard trail to Washington and Oregon to assist with colonization. The US Army is positioning itself on the East Coast in order to participate in the liberation of India. All other armies are strategically positioning themselves around Texas. The navies remain unorganised at the moment; the 4 steam transports in construction can be seen.​

The US starts off with nice technologies (5/7/7/5/6), with the Business Tycoon administration, and 42% literacy. Some notable techs are Steamers, with steam transports already invented, Experimental Railroad, and Practical Steam Engine. The first technology I'll be researching will be Ideological Thought, due to the fact that it increases plurality, and I can always make use of another NF. In this game, there's a little less pressure to go as hard-and-fast as possible through the NF-increasing tech, due to the fact that I won't be making too much use of Nationalism and Imperialism. N&I is imperative for the Scramble for Africa, and it's great to be able to establish Dai Nam and Ethiopia as protectorates in one fell swoop, but I won't be needing either of those.

yaQGp3k.jpg

A fairly ugly representation of the US's technological prowess at the start of the game.​

The US also starts off with a few factories, although I don't think they're worth mentioning at this stage. I might bail some out, but some (such as a canned food factory) will go bankrupt and I won't bother to try and save them.

u5TtPe6.jpg

The factories we start off with, as well as the production ribbon showing the top 5 products.​

Here's my budget after 7 days. Man, the USA is rich! It's worth noting that I have some tech that increases the effective tax, so I'm a bit hesitant to crank it up to the maximum. I've also increased the military spending to try and attract soldiers. Without any colonial troops, the mainland is going to have to provide a few more soldiers than it usually would. The National Stockpile slider is at maximum to construct my steam transports as soon as possible
RJza5pL.jpg

Here's the real star of the show:

F9aAafw.jpg

We seek to elevate the meek and humble Portuguese Bombay Region into the noble Indian superpower she deserves to be! Portugal is allied with the Netherlands, which may pose a problem, but our secret police have intelligence suggesting that the Dutch may have their hands full with the French in the near future...

Anyway, that's the start of things - the noble war and its (hopefully) grand conclusion will be posted later today, so stay tuned!

Last edited:
Sounds like fun! Subscribed.

Thanks!

I believe you can free the Vientiane region of Siam as Wiang Chhan. Go for it!

Yeah, this is what I'm talking about! How's it go again? 'Give me your tired, your poor, your people with unpronounceable names from countries we've never heard of'? Something like that! I expect that the noble Wiang Chhan will be some of the first people freed after I've got a naval base established on the West Coast.

Free the Kurds! And the Cornish! And the Catalonians! And the Iclanders!...
Maybe new empires will form from these free nations and take their former oppressors's place? Seems the US is the new world police :D

Here's hoping! I'd like to nurture India into a semi-powerful nation, but that might be a bit difficult. I can see some European freed nations getting pretty powerful too, especially as Austria hopefully (inevitably?) collapses.

Fair warning about Ireland: Great Britain can get Ireland back by event. I tried to free Ireland as the U.S. myself, and two Great Wars later I didn't even get a pop-up telling me that one of my strongest puppets up and vanished.

Thanks very much for the heads up. I intend on sphereing / allying with any peoples I free, to prevent re-annexation, but you can never know about diplo-annexes until they happen.

Part 1: India Awakes

January 16th: Austria, rather than Prussia, declare war on Denmark for Shleswig-Holstein. Something that you don't see incredibly often, but it happens now and then. I'm interested to see how this affects Austro-Prussian relations in the future. If Austria was destabilised from a large war, it would make my mission significantly easier. However, preventing the NGF from forming might make them a regional superpower. Time will tell.

As well as Austria declaring war, Mexico have begun to colonise Colorado. I intend on rectifying that issue when we go to war over Texas.

February 5th: We detect France manufacturing a Place in the Sun CB against the Netherlands (no surprise).

February 6th: We detect Russia manufacturing a Demand Concession CB against Kokand (a bit of a surprise!) I did a quick check, and there's no people we can free from Kokand, so I'm not too concerned about this development

February 25th: Spain is detected trying to manufacture a Demand Concession CB against Morocco. Par for the course.

February 26th: Our noble intentions are proudly announced to the whole world! Although for some reason, eyebrows are raised, and we're hit with 1.9 infamy.

May 2nd: The last of our steam transports finishes construction. I'm going to turn Steamer Convoy off in the Trade screen.

June 5th: Our Free People CB completes. France's CB against the Netherlands (Portugal's ally) has 160 days to complete, so I'm faced with the choice of declaring war immediately, or waiting for France to declare war on the Netherlands. The potential downside of this is Portugal possibly allying with another nation such as the UK. If the Netherlands do honour their alliance, I'm hoping to strike at their South American holdings and get them to accept a white peace. So, there's only one thing for it...

yjZ2F6O.jpg

The Netherlands honour their alliance. Ok, a change of plan!

ay2xey0.jpg

The navy is divided into 2 branches. Alexander Seward will blockade Lisbon and the surrounding Portuguese coast, while the second fleet (lead by nobody) will land 12,000 troops in Dutch South America. Seward's fleet should be enough to take on the Portuguese, but may not be able to battle the Dutch. Therefore, I'm hoping that the Netherlands will give me a white peace as soon as possible. In the mean time...

G0v97Br.jpg

Do you hear that? It's the people of Iceland begging for freedom!​

The world must be taking notice of our noble intentions. The day after beginning the justification, we're detected for 2.9 infamy. Spread the good word, my brothers!

November 15th: Our CB against Denmark completes. We'll have to wait until we've made peace with the Dutch before we attempt a blockade of Copenhagen....

November 16th: ... which should be a lot easier now!

nMiiz7I.jpg

The Netherlands' allies come to their aid: Portugal, Brazil, and Prussia (!) It'll be interesting to see if the UK intervenes, or whether Prussia will try and take Alsace Lorraine.

November 27th: My first US flavour event! I'm going to let the society exist.

ExMcNMU.jpg

February 1st, 1837: The new year was ushered in a month ago, and Washington + Oregon have been colonized. We immediately begin to colonize Colorado and Idaho, and build a naval base in Oregon. The Mexicans already have a 30% lead on Colorado, but it's hoped that stationing troops there will close the gap. More drastic measures will be taken once we intervene in the Texan war. As it stands, the war is going against the Mexicans, but they've nearly finished occupying Austin.

The war against the Dutch and Portuguese hasn't yet come to a conclusion. Guayana has been occupied, and St. Martin has nearly been occupied. However, it's simply a matter of time.

March 3rd: Our patience pays off.

UzkagvQ.jpg

Steam transports withdraw our troops from South America, while the remainder of the fleet sails for Portugal to assist in the blockade.

March 15th: Russia claims the Yasi and Qaraganda regions from Kokand

March 29th: Johore is added to our SOI. We'll reclaim that land from Siam yet!

July 22nd: Victory!

hNLVgjH.jpg

otVsT7O.jpg

It's beautiful...

(What will probably happen) Next time: Intervention in Texas! Freedom in Denmark! Consideration on who to liberate next!​

And remember, any suggestions for oppressed people are welcomed, as well as feedback on how I'm presenting this AAR!

Last edited:
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about! How's it go again? 'Give me your tired, your poor, your people with unpronounceable names from countries we've never heard of'? Something like that! I expect that the noble Wiang Chhan will be some of the first people freed after I've got a naval base established on the West Coast.
I will hold you to that. :D Also, wonderful liberation! Onwards to Texas! Onwards to Iceland! Onwards to Catalonia!

Hello TristramShandy!

I don't know much about Vicky II but I really like AARs that have a clear and ambitious goal, so I'll be watching.

Good luck! Free the world, make it a better place!

Part 2: IceLand-of-the-free!

But first, a preface:

Ode to India

India, O India,
the Portuguese, they hindered ya
but your people were serene

India, O India,
when I first got a wind'o'ya
I just knew I'd intervene

Your democracy, for all to see,
one in only ten,
They call you a primitive country,
but we'll show them again!

Where we left off:

India has recently been freed from the Portuguese, while preparations have been made for the liberation of Iceland. In Europe, a small colonial war has ballooned into a continental tinderbox as France and Prussia gear up for a long and bloody war. Closer to home, the Mexicans encroach on Texan land, but not for much longer...

July 24th, 1837:
The order to amass the majority of the US Navy off of the coast of the recently-conquered Portugal has been issued. I estimate that the required warscore to do God's work and release Iceland will be more than what you get from a simple blockade, so I'm redirecting my veteran South American divisions and the equally seasoned steam transports to the outskirts of Lisbon. This logistical challenge will probably take on the order of weeks. Our CB expires on during November, so our ships have deadlines to meet - worst comes to worst, I simply declare war without any preparations.

After releasing India from the clutches of the Portuguese, I discovered that a people freed by myself will automatically join my sphere. This is better than I was expecting, and really frees up my diplomatic influence to be used in asserting protection over vulnerable nations. The decision of the nation is to support Madagascar, detecting that French diplomats are in a prime position to sphere and subsequently diplo-annex the hapless state. We're expecting resistance, but nothing our diplomatic strong-arm can't handle. The next focus of our diplomatic mission will most likely be Panjab, chiefly to prevent the UK sphereing them. Panjab currently has both the Ladakh people and the Kashmiri under their yoke, and Indian cores that I would like to see transferred to their rightful ruler, so it's important to assert my dominance.

August 7th, 1837:
I was wondering if this was going to happen.

jgE6gHU.jpg

qCxaRCS.jpg

It's uncertain how this will play out. The warscore is totally composed from battles, so Prussia has the initial upper hand: however, she is quickly exhausting her manpower (with only 38 brigades post-mobilization), while France still has vast numbers of troops (~150 post-mobilization.) The real question is whether the French AI can handle the logistics or not: if huge numbers of the troops are stuck in Algeria, then there's a good chance Prussia will win. That being said, Luxembourg has been occupied, and the Prussian Rheinland is being occupied as of August the 9th. It's also important that because Prussia is joining the war as an ally, she isn't accompanied by any of her spherelings.

Captivated by the drama in the continent, I decide that now is the time to make preparations to intervene in the Texan war. Due to the fact that I'm shipping off my elite El Dorado corps in my Nordic theatre, I decide that a mobilization is necessary to deliver a swift victory. I've amassed a $56k reserve, so I don't think I'll need to adjust my budget too much. You should never (necessarily) be afraid to run at a daily net loss if it means mobilising your troops. Oftentimes, a drawn-out war can be more costly than a tactical blitz. Preparing the troops will take a long time, so I'm mobilizing now to organise my militaries on the Texan border. I don't suspect Mexico will send any troops up my eastern wing, based on the population densities on that half of the continent; and honestly, if they do, they're welcome to occupy the meagre land up there.

I do fear how my colony-to-be will fare, though. Colorado is definitely within my grasp, but my hard work may be delayed unless I can protect the region.

ZZltSg0.jpg

August 19th, 1837:
Not very surprising. Possibly a bit short-sighted, as their entire warscore of 17% is based on blockades, and this latest demand has pushed it by about 5% over that.

j0juArw.jpg

August 27th, 1837:
Sigh. The AI, man... sometimes you've gotta wonder... If Austria keeps on playing like this, she'll fall without my help! My Prestige ranking subsequently bumps up from 5th to 4th.

ehn24vW.jpg

September 1, 1837:
We become Cordial with Madagascar

September 15th, 1837:
Now this is unusual. Usually I see this happen the other way around. I wonder if the Swiss will end up using it?

TH97n4r.jpg

The French colonial conquest is going worse: they're at -19% warscore, almost entirely due to battles. Prussia, one of the enemies of France, is friendly with Denmark (meaning they can intervene in any wars of aggression against her), and the UK is cordial-approaching-friendly. My El Dorado corps haven't made it to Lisbon yet, but I feel that time is of the essence. I worry that if I delay too long, Denmark will pick up some allies I might not be able to deal with. It's my hope that Prussia will be too fixated on beating the French to start another war, and if they were to start another war, it'd probably be an attempt to claim their cores from Denmark, seeing as Austria failed in their conquest. However, valuing expediency...

po9a6cF.jpg

Alex Seward, the nation's premier admiral, is leading the identical fleet used in the Indian campaign from the coast of Lisbon to the harbours of Copenhagen.

A6w3f9O.jpg

November 17th, 1837:

The blockade of Denmark and Holstein is going well. Prussia hasn't intervened, and we are nearing the required warscore to free Iceland. 9,000 troops from El Dorado corps are nearing Jylland, which should secure victory after occupying a territory or two. However, the navy is running dangerously low on supplies: if victory is not swift enough, there is a chance some boats in the flotilla will not be salvageable.

5ZMA7sAl.jpg

6yMkaUal.jpg

Meanwhile, back on the continent, 3 months after mobilizing, the reserves are finally in a position to intervene in the Texan conflict: and not a moment too sooner, as Texas is defenseless and mere weeks away from falling to Mexico. A plan of attack has been drafted: click on the image below for a larger version of the battle plan.

The army labelled A, consists of 7 divisions of infantry and a division of artillery. It's lead by general Richard Mitchell (+4 attack, +3 defence, -59.1% morale, +0.7% organisation, +1% reliability.) It will work in conjunction with the army labelled B, which consists of 5 infantry divisions and a division of artillery. A and B will assault the Mexican forces adjacent to our border, indicated by solid red arrows, while D will split into 2 armies and fill up the newly formed holes in the border, indicated by dashed red arrows. C, which consists of 9,000 dragoons, will split into 3 sets of 3,000 and attempt an encirclement, indicated by the dotted red arrow. Mexico has approximately 15,000 troops unaccounted for, which may interfere with this encirclement. In this eventuality, B will reinforce.

The second phase of attack is to secure the borders of Texas and reclaim occupied territory, indicated by the black arrows. This responsibility largely will fall on C and E, while A, B, and D will participate in the third phase of attack, which is indicated by orange arrows. This involves a push down the eastern coast of Mexico towards the capital. Once A, B, and D have wedged themselves in a suitable chokepoint between the ocean and the mountainous central regions of the country, they will set up a defensive position given by the orange diagonal lines.

The chief resistance expected from Mexico will originate from mobilized troops. The map displays the population density of Mexico: areas highlighted in red are expected to be the springboard from the defensive Mexican forces. Depending on the swiftness of the first 2 phases of the attack, and how quick Mexico is to respond, the defensive chokehold set up in the third stage of the battle may need to be established further north from the ideal chokepoint. If this is the case, defending behind the safety of a river will most likely be prioritised.

All land operations will be supplemented by a naval blockade from the flotilla, sans steam transports, sent to South America during the Indian campaign, indicated by the large blue arrow.

l6W2yIdl.jpg

November 21, 1837:

Mexico mobilizes. After mobilization, they have 15 brigades, while I have 30. However, at least 5 of my brigades are busy assisting with colonization or en-route to the Nordic theatre.

November 26, 1837:

B engages the Mexican forces, with A a day or two from arriving. The Ottoman Empire also annexes Tripoli. God willing, by 1936, Tripoli will be an independent nation once again!

November 27, 1837:

Spain, in addition to the Taza concession, demands the Adjir region from Morocco. The El Dorado corps arrive in Helgoland Bight, and begin disembarking.

December 6, 1837:

The Mexican forces are routed, and suffer heavy casualties. The encirclement is not quite complete due to the last division of dragoons failing to reach Austin in time. However, they are expected to reach Austin on the 12th of December, while the retreating Mexicans are expected to reach Austin on the 18th. It remains to be seen what will happen to the retreating Mexican forces (I'm genuinely not sure whether they'll dissolve as though they were encircled, or whether there will be an actual battle.) In any case, A and B will move towards Austin to follow the retreating troops and reinforce the waiting dragoons.

b3fsFMGl.jpg

wmofirOl.jpg

December 18, 1837:

The retreating Mexican forces are caught, and the battle concludes on the 25th, with shocking casualties. The El Dorado corps makes landing, and begins to occupy Esbjerg.

xomSx67l.jpg

Meanwhile, the French's numerical superiority is starting to show in their war with Prussia (technically with their war over Dutch Guayana, which has been forgotten in the heat of the clash of European superpowers.) Prussian Rhineland has been occupied, and Nordhrein is showing signs of being occupied.

December 31st, 1837:

An alliance is struck with Prussia. The chief rationale behind this decision was to establish friendly ports for our navies involved in the Nordic theater. We have made it quite clear to the Prussians that our agreement with them is a defensive pact, and we will not assist them in any wars of aggression. We also establish Friendly relations with Madagascar.

January 1st, 1838:

Our Upper House is rearranged. Currently, roughly 90% of senators consider themselves conservative, 8% liberal, and 2% reactionary.

More importantly though, it's a New Year's miracle! God alone grants us the victory.

ywMetnWl.jpg

A last look at the Texan theatre: the third phase of attack proved superfluous to securing victory. Accordingly, the order to demobilise the troops is issued. Several months in a full mobilized state only reduced the nation's $56k stockpile to $45k, which is a testament to the States' economy.

87kiCocl.jpg

2SIUQrN.jpg

February 6th, 1838:

The Ottoman Empire declare war with Egypt over the liberation of the Ankara region.

March 2nd, 1838:

Now this is unexpected. The Swiss declare to acquire Savoie. It's worth noting that S-P isn't in France's sphere, but they're Friendly at 75, so France can easily intervene.

h0xuONX.jpg

March 3rd, 1838:

Bavaria assist the Swiss, while the Papal States help out S-P.

March 19th, 1838:

Idaho is colonized, with Colorado soon following. I start colonising Oklahoma, and encouraging clergymen in New York. The US has a pretty sad 0.78% clergymen, which is pretty strange when you consider I'm getting all sorts of flavour events about religious fanaticism.

March 30th, 1838:

The 4th steam transport on the East Coast has finally started construction, meaning I'll very soon have an Eastern theatre in which I can free the multitudinous oppressed peoples of Asia and the Middle East. C'mon boys, we've got work to do!

m7FDoVO.jpg

April 7th, 1838:

I've had a bunch of flavour events fire over the course of the game, but haven't really bothered to include them. This seems kind of important though! I'm not particularly worried, mind you, because it's still so early in the game, and I'm expecting the ACW to fire roughly around the historic time.

FGuvsD5.jpg

Esbjerg has also been captured, and added another 3.5% to my warscore. I'm still 2% short though, so I start occupying Aalborg

April 22nd, 1838:

Persia declares war with Egypt, with the intention to cut them down to size.

April 30th, 1838:

We're detected for 2.3 infamy.

June 15th, 1838:

School is cool, kids! A nice little flavour event.

EDpH6lA.jpg

June 18th, 1838:

Spain beats Morocco, and gets the Adjir and Taza regions as colonial territory. They'll pay dearly for taking advantage of their uncivilized neighbours.

June 19th, 1838:

We finish Ideological Thought, with the extra NF going to encouraging clergymen in Pennsylvania. I start researching Romantacism, and after that I'll go for Idealism. Also, the CSA gains cores on Louisiana.

June 30th, 1838:

Prussia adds the acquisition of French Provence as a wargoal to the current European conflict. It seems as though the Netherlands are sending their forces down to reclaim the French-occupied border territories. France's logistics may be faltering.

July 13th, 1838:

I get the Colonial Incident CB against Denmark. Seeing as the only colonial land they own rightfully belongs to Iceland, I'm not going to pursue it. However, I might accept the CB to try and dissuade my populations from the 5% increase in Jingo you get for declining it.

July 18th, 1838:

Spain offers me an alliance. I refuse to cooperate with the Spanish until the Cuban and Catalonian people have land that they may call their own!

August 21st, 1838

Victory!
Aalborg is captured, and the Danish finally capitulate, after 11-and-a-bit months of naval blockade.

Y1mrk7K.jpg

wQlJd21.jpg

Next time on Land of the Free:
2 people freed in 2 years: you're next, Thai-rrorists!

Thanks for reading! Feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
I will hold you to that. :D Also, wonderful liberation! Onwards to Texas! Onwards to Iceland! Onwards to Catalonia!

Stay tuned: if all goes well next episode, we may yet see the exotic Wiang Chhan in her reclusive glory.

Hello TristramShandy!

I don't know much about Vicky II but I really like AARs that have a clear and ambitious goal, so I'll be watching.

Good luck! Free the world, make it a better place!

Thanks for reading - I hope you're having as much fun as I'm having writing it!

This is an anwesome concept for a vicky game! There are a bunch of nations which would be cool to see. Like Israel for obvious reasons and its tricky-ness. You would have to sphere Egypt, activate Israels cores* and then somehow un-sphere Egypt to free Israel.
Also in my first vicky game ever I saw a (temporarily) free Cyprus, maybe be nice to see it again :) At least it has more interesting potential than AI-Crete, I think.

*provided of course, the Ottomans don't conquer Palestine from Egypt.

Nice AAR and nice premise! I love it a lot!

I will be waiting to see how long it takes you to blast Austria to bits, seems like a prime opportunity for some righteous liberation!

Part 3: Asian Lamentation

But first, a preface:

Ode to Iceland

Iceland, Iceland,
You were dealt a shitty hand
A noble people without land
So we helped: ain't it grand?

Where we left off:

The United States, after waiting for the perfect moment, struck like a rattlesnake and intervened in Texas, defeating the Mexicans far before anybody was expecting. Off of the mainland, the noble Icelandic people now have a country to call their own, and join their Indian brothers in freedom and democracy. Will the influence of America slash the shackles of a third oppressed people?

August 21st, 1838:
Loading up the game where I left off, I'm presented with an application for statehood from Texas (which also gives me the opportunity to make a crappy graphic on the first post of this AAR. Behold my meagre and wanting skills!) The United States welcomes our brothers with open arms, and they're consolidated into the union with no dissent from any members of the government. Long Live the Republic, Long Live the Shining Beacon of Freedom!

ikwYXNl.jpg

We're given the option of deciding whether to extend slavery into Texas or not. Slavery as an institution goes against the union's goals and ambitions, so we decide to restrict it to the existing states. (I haven't moused over the decision to not extend slavery in this screenshot, but it basically gives all pops in what will be the CSA +1 CON.) This brings the national consciousness to 3.58, which allows us to enact the Kansas-Nebraska act, as well as a House Gag Order. For the moment, I'm going to leave these decisions alone: we'll revisit them later on.

KjYB8X5.png

RLrqrpR.png

August 31st, 1838:
The documents necessary to argue for the freedom of the Wiang Chann people have been prepared. It is a shame that the thirst for liberty, mutually shared by all men of all cultures, can't persuade dictators to give the people their well-deserved freedom. This is the age we live in, and so we must operate within its constraints: and if that means a righteous war is necessary to make the world a better place, then a righteous war the Siamese will get. Preparations begin immediately to launch an invasion of Siam from the recently-colonised West Coast. 4 steam transports have been constructed, enough to ferry 12,000 men, but another 2 are commissioned to bring the full capacity to 18,000 troops.

On the same day, Madagascar is welcomed to the fold of our sphere of influence, and its corresponding protection. The next diplomatic goal is to establish strong relations with Panjab in order to dissuade the British from granting safe haven to the dictator who oppresses the Ladakh and Kashmiri people, who all the while sits on his seat of power that is rooted in what is rightfully Indian soil. We expect resistance though: the British are already Cordial with the Punjabi diplomats.

vP5QvPc.png

September 2nd, 1838:
As expected, we're discredited in Panjab by the UK. After much deliberation, we start exerting our diplomatic influence on Sindh in the meantime. This is a compromise: in order to eventually launch an assault on Panjab, we're going to need access to the land-locked country, which Sindh would willingly provide after being guaranteed protection in the sphere of our influence. The downside to allowing her into our embrace is that by de jure rights, her people are Indian and she should be united with the motherland, and once she is admitted to the fold it's unlikely she'll become part of the Indian nation. On the other hand, Sindh is such a small nation that we cannot transfer her provinces to India, so in effect we won't be losing an opportunity.

Back home, there are secession sentiments in Tuscaloosa, which is worrying. We also hear from news from Europe pertaining to the Bavaria + Swiss vs S-P + Papal States conflict. Bavaria, bolstered by their current success in the war, has announced to the world that she intends on annexing the Romagna province from the Papal States.

6Z07iyN.png

Meanwhile our philosophers, encouraged by the recent establishment of Ideological Thought as a legitimate philosophical belief, have codified what our administration and nation has known since its conception: that all men are equal in the eyes of God, and equally deserving of liberty! May the self-evident truths of Eagle-itarianism be spread far and wide, by righteous force if necessary, throughout the globe!

1umsrpg.png

September 4th - 14th, 1838:
Over the past ten days, agitators have been vocal about secession from the union in Florida and Mississippi. These are worrying developments.

September 16th, 1838:
News from Europe: the initially enormous 150 brigades of France have been whittled down to only 30 due to superior Prussian tactics. Realising the perilous position the French find themselves in, they have sued for peace: the Colonial Conquest of Dutch Guayana has finished. The resolution? Prussia liberates Alsace-Lorraine, but fails to enforce its goal of acquiring French Provence. This is a very interesting development, especially this early in the game: with such an early acquisition of A-L, and Austria's failure to secure Schleswig-Holstein, leaving S-H free for Prussia to attempt an annexation, will we see a very early North German Federation form? It would be ideal to see NGF form and force Austria to admit hegemony, which would destabilise the empire, and bring our gallant goals that much closer within reach. In the case of the NGF forming, I could easily see an alliance formed with the common goal of bringing down the Austrian empire. At some point however, I would quite like to free S-H, so the alliance would most likely be a temporary one. (Did you know that despite the fact S-H starts Danish, it actually has unique cores of its own? I've never S-H independent in any of my games, so it'd be pretty unique to liberate her!)

HZeFOm7.png

September 26th - 28th, 1838:
Further talk of secession in Maryland and the District of Columbia. For the moment, talk is all it is: but we worry for the future. How can we free people overseas if we cannot even agree on freeing our black brothers and sisters?

October 2nd, 1838:
Headstrong colonial police have offended the native population by disturbing a religious site in Nebraska. We've informed the police that we seek to win the indigenous peoples' hearts and minds to assimilate them into our culture, and see the benefits of our way of life. The police have been advised to proffer the deserving respect these people and their religions deserve.

60jnEdT.png

October 9th, 1838:

While making preparations to liberate Wiang Chhang and establish a cooperative Pacific branch of the army and navy, the decision has been made introduce large restructuring of the US military. The El Dorado corps, veterans of both the Indian campaign and the Icelandic campaign, will be offered some well-deserved leave and stationed as garrisons throughout the country. The Pacific navy, already consisting of 4 steam transports, is being bolstered by 2 further transports, the latest of which is expected to finish some time in December. These steam transports will carry 3 divisions of infantry, 1 division of artillery, and 2 divisions of dragoons, all of which will be commanded by the hero of the Texan intervention, Richard Mitchell. It is unknown how long it will take to assemble the expeditionary force on the West coast of the country: suffice to say, infrastructure throughout the centre of the nation is woefully underdeveloped, and committees have been set up within the government to coordinate industrial capitalists and the military to establish an extensive railroad network, to drastically reduce the transit times of troops from one side of the country to the other.

Word from the nation's premier admiral, Alexander Seward, reports that the man o' wars and frigates that participated in the liberation of India and of Iceland suffered significant structural damage from being on the high seas for so long. Seward doubts whether they can make a crossing back to the mainland from Lisbon; with a heavy heart, the government has decided that Seward's Atlantic fleet will be retired from service and maintained as a treasure of American heritage. Seward has, in addition, tendered his resignation, and has been honourably discharged with corresponding awards for his 2 campaigns. (Apparently if you dismiss a flotilla outside of friendly waters, the admiral goes down with them... whoops!) The nations of India and Iceland, two most unlikely relatives, will never forget the noble sea-men and their admiral who assisted in their quest for independence.

MvWmNal.png

In light of recent technological advancements, Seward's fleet will be replaced by 10 Commerce Raiders; the 4 man o' war and 5 frigates remaining in the Atlantic navy (who assisted with the intervention in Texas) will be phased out of active service after an additional 5 Commerce Raiders are produced after the first 10. The admiralty predict that the commerce raiders will have stronger hulls than the man o' war, with only slightly less firepower, and will move nearly twice as fast; likewise, the old clipper frigates will be completely outclassed. The Atlantic branch of the Navy will then be supplemented with a further 6 steam transports, while the 4 transports used to ferry the El Dorado corps will be recalled back to the East Coast for repairs.

November 3rd - 9th, 1838:
Further talk of secession in West Virgina and Tennessee. On the 10th of November, our government officials take a brief census of the country's population and their dominant issues. We see that the country is truly divided on the issue of slavery. A temporary stop-gap is approved, in the form of a house gag rule.

mVsPCQq.png

J0rbUbC.jpg

December 28th, 1838:

The 6th steam transport is built in Seattle. Richard Mitchell's forces are nearing the West Coast; crossing the mountainous regions of Idaho can take literally an entire month alone. It's obvious to the US government that we will have to invest in railroad technology as soon as possible.

1st of January, 1839:
Today is the first anniversary of the defeat of Mexico over the war of Texan independence. Celebrations can be heard throughout the Republic! The government's upper house has been rearranged: approximately 9.5% of senators label themselves as liberals, 2.5% reactionary, and 88% conservative.

January 12th, 1839:
We become Cordial with Sindh. Richard Mitchell's division is still crossing the mountains of Idaho. Nobody in the military had expected his transit to take so long.

February 28th, 1839:
Our credit has been restored with the government of Panjab. We once again begin asserting our influence

March 23rd, 1839:
Richard Mitchell's forces, henceforth dubbed the Pacific Corps, finally make landing in Seattle. The budget for the national stockpile is drastically increased to prepare for the operation.

IlHbGBr.png

April 1st, 1839:
We're discredited in Panjab, but decide to soldier on despite the fact. Philosophers also announce that they've discovered a novel way of running a government. Hm, could have sworn I've heard of this system before...

4EK5aVM.png

April 10th, 1839:
We hear that the Ottomans have been successful in demanding the Ankara region from the Egyptians.

April 30th, 1839:
Oklahoma has been colonised. We begin to encourage clergymen in Ohio.

July 13th, 1839:
We receive word from the Pacific Corps that they are at full organisation, and ready to depart for Siam. Due to the primitive military technology of the country, and the quality of her armed forces, Gen. Mitchell does not expect to meet any substantial resistance: nevertheless, battle plans for 'Operation Siamese Fire' are drawn up. Siam is thought to have 12 divisions of troops, or 36,000 soldiers. Half of these troops are situated on the border with our ally and sphereling Johore. We expect that the remaining half of these troops will be garrisoned in Bangkok.

The Pacific Transport will sidle up to the harbours of Bangkok, and Gen. Mitchell will disembark the Pacific Corps and conduct an amphibious assault. Once troops have landed, the transports will dock in the friendly harbours of Johore. This method of assault will partially hinder our troops' fighting ability, but Gen. Mitchell believes that the technological advantages will more than make up for this terrain disadvantage. Once the garrison has been overrun, Gen. Mitchell will lead the 3 infantry divisions along with the artillery division to Ratchabuti to choke the Siamese troops from reinforcing, and then methodically push down the southern peninsula to engage and destroy the remnants of their military. In the mean time, both divisions of dragoons will peel off: one will remain in Bangkok until it has been occupied, while the other moves north and begins occupying provinces. The required warscore is 33%, so Gen. Mitchell anticipates that significant portions of Siam's territory will need to be occupied before the Wiang Chhan people are awarded their freedom.

bPmcYc9.png

July 17th, 1839:
S-P accepts Switzerland's offer of peace: acquire Savoie. Bavaria is still fighting against S-P and the Papal States; her manpower is exhausted though. Despite the fact that she is fully mobilized, not a single division of troops are ready to fight.

July 22nd, 1839:
The second anniversary of India's independence. Celebrations are held throughout the country as the Pacific Transport steams hard for the shores of Bangkok! The United States reaffirms its intentions to the rest of the world: we will bring freedom to those who yearn for it!

August 22nd, 1839:
The first anniversary of Iceland's freedom. Delegates from Iceland and the US stand at attention, facing the direction of Siam across far-off seas, their thoughts with the brave soldiers who are willing to possibly lose their lives only so that a wrong in the world may be redressed.

August 30th, 1839:
Our Free People CB expires tomorrow, so war is declared. The Pacific Transport fleet are off of the coast of Japan, so it will be several weeks before disembarking.

X3GRf4N.png

September 22nd, 1839:
The Pacific Corps begins its disembarkment. Our suspicions were correct: Siam's other 18,000 troops are garrisoned in Bangkok. Everything is going to plan so far.

October 4th, 1839:
Pacific Corps disembarks into hell on Earth. Later in his life, Gen. Mitchell will often remember the desperation of the campaign; the heat and flash of burning powder, the whinnying of the horses, the sight of men's blood nourishing the Asian soil like rain; most of all, he will remember the determination, ferocity, and skill with which the enemy garrison's general fought. Perhaps if they had met one another at a different time, in a different place, they could have been friends; the best of friends, even; shared drinks and stories, strategies, and watched one another's sons and brothers grow into honourable manhood. But as it stands, they found themselves on opposing sides in Bangkok during the latter part of 1839; a time and place in which wicked kings and dictators necessitated the shedding of blood and sacrifice of life for the freedom and right of self-determination that all peoples around the world need. Despite their different cultures, Gen. Mitchell would always remember the enemy general (for he never did learn his name) as an equal and a brother-in-arms.

lqTR3vf.png

October 9th, 1839:
Prussia declare war with Denmark on Schleswig-Holstein. Will we see a strong, early NGF?

dFYCPu2.png

October 15th, 1839:
The battle of Bangkok concludes. It was a bloody and vicious battle: nobody was expecting the Siamese to fight with such ferocity and skill (and I wasn't expecting to get such meagre dice rolls!) Operation Siamese Fire is not going to plan: US forces are now well and truly outnumbered. Gen. Mitchell toys with the idea of an extraction to Johore with the intention of regrouping and reorganising, but decides on pursuing the retreating army with the hope that he will deal a deadly blow.

AlNeSqZ.png

October 21st, 1839:
The Pacific Corps, anticipating the Siamese movements, outmaneuvre the retreating army and set up entrenchments amongst the thick jungle terrain. This gives Gen. Mitchell a significant defender's advantage.

November 1st, 1839:
The battle concludes with a very strong American victory. Once again, the Pacific Corps pursue the retreating Siamese: however, the corps troops are becoming exhausted, and can only pursue for so long before a reorganisation will be necessary. Unaware of the desperate battle going on across the globe, and how very possible it is that the Americans may lose a war, American diplomats become Cordial with Panjab.

GitJMMH.png

November 20th, 1839:
The retreating Siamese forces are once again outmaneuvered, and suffer enormous casualties. They still press on: Gen. Mitchell and what remains of Pacific Corps follows.

pev2OM1.png

Novermber 29th, 1839:
Austria offers us an alliance. Surely they must be joking? Have they not heard our explicit calls for the end of their empire?

December 4th, 1839:
Bavaria signs a white peace with S-P and the Papal States. They do not get Romagna.

December 11th, 1839:
The Siamese forces are caught, and finally destroyed. Gen. Mitchell finds the body of the youthful general that fought him so expertly over these previous 2 months. He says a prayer and gives the man a proper Christian burial: he doubts the people in this part of the world are Christian, but he only does as he thinks right, and he knows that intentions are what matter in situations like these. Pacific Corps bury their dead, and limp south to Bangkok to begin occupying the province. They are at only 33% fighting strength, and have suffered huge casualties in the campaign so far. 18,000 Siamese troops remain at the border with Johore.

r7OIvee.png

December 18th, 1839:
Gen. Mitchell begins the occupation of Bangkok. The 18,000 Siamese troops at the border begin marching towards their position. Steam transports are at a moment's notice to extract the Pacific Corps if the battle goes sour.

1st of January, 1840:

Today is the second anniversary of the defeat of Mexico over the question of Texas' independence. Pacific Corps, holed up like rats in Bangkok, share whiskey and stories with one another to spread good cheer. Meanwhile, a Siamese force outnumbering them by more than 3 to 1 is advancing on their position.

On the mainland, huge celebrations are occurring coast-to-coast, not only for the victory over Mexico, but for the prospect of another decade devoted to alleviating the suffering of oppressed peoples around the world. Amongst all of the celebrations, an election is announced, with the result to be decided on the 1st of July, 1840. Liberals now make up 12% of the upper house, with 86% of the upper house remaining conservative.

January 22nd, 1840:
Religious policy is debated amongst the delegates from New York. Faith, obviously, must be represented in politics. Meanwhile, in Siam, the Siamese forces have reached the outskirts of Bangkok and are beseiging it, too afraid of the defender's advantage to launch a proper assault.

27p6KlN.png

February 2nd, 1840:
The naval base in Portland finishes construction, greatly increasing the effectiveness of ships in the Pacific theatre. Work immediately begins on upgrading it.

February 12th, 1840:
Free trade is debated in Alabama, although there's already a consensus that it's good for the nation. The government and the population all agree.

March 1st, 1840:
Romanticism finishes, although we're not going to activate Manifest Destiny until the war in Siam has been concluded. In the mean time, philosophers in our country start researching Idealism.

March 5th, 1840:
Pluralism is debated in Pennsylvania. We take the stance that Moralism must be a part of the political process. We have now become friendly with Panjab: rather than admitting them into our sphere, we intend on ruining their opinion of the British.

March 20th, 1840:
The Ottoman Empire offers us an alliance. Do you hear that? It's the cries of the Iraqi people for their land and liberty. Rid yourself of your evil ways, Ottomans, and then you may address us as your equals and friends!

March 26th, 1840:
War policy is debated in New York. We must vigilant in foreign affairs, and this can only be realised if our government is pro-military!

April 7th, 1840:
France offer us an alliance. Languedoc is de jure Catalonian: never forgive, never forget!

April 20th, 1840:
Bangkok has been occupied. From here, Pacific Corps reinforces 2,500 men per month: Gen. Mitchell insists on reinforcing before destroying the last Siamese contingency.

April 27th, 1840:
Bastards! When will the Portuguese learn? Be warned, Portugal: the Omani Lindi region belongs to Zanzibar and Zanzibar alone, and to Zanzibar it shall be restored by the force of the hand of Justice: it is your choice whether you yourself or Oman will face our righteous wrath.

3wi3ilD.png

May 1st, 1840:
Our artists are the first in the world to discover Romanticist art.

May 28th, 1840:
Prussia is victorious.

cWPK3xf.png

June 1st, 1840:
Pacific Corps is now at 70% of their strength. Gen. Mitchell gives the order to assault the adjacent Siamese forces.

June 18th, 1840:
The battle concludes, with a decisive American victory. (SHH, that's not the same general as before: he died for roleplaying reasons, remember!?) From this point on, Pacific Corps is going to follow the Siamese around until they're finally destroyed, so this is the last battle I'll bother to report, although not the last battle that happened.

EvF4caC.png

July 1st, 1840:
The results of the nation's elections are in!

Vz0LIHZ.png

July 22nd, 1840:
The third anniversary of Indian freedom. The word 'liberty' is a lot like the word 'liquor': both start with l, and then there's an i afterwards! Whatever, let's just get drunk. Drunk for freedom!

August 7th, 1840:
There's another incident with the colonial police and the natives in the country, this time in Oklahoma. The colonial police are forced to apologise, and are reprimanded for not respecting the indigenous religion. We may be moralist, but there's no need to be dicks, guys!

August 18th, 1840:
The last of Siam's army is defeated. Pacific Corps splits up and begins occupying the countryside. We reduce the Panjabi's opinion of the UK to Neutral, from Cordial.

August 22nd, 1840:
Iceland's second anniversary of independence. Greetings to Greenland and Hi-land to Iceland!

August 30th, 1840:
Operation Siamese Fire has taken a year so far, and at least 40,000 lives. Not a single man will have died in vain when the oppressed peoples of Wiang Chhan get their first breath of fresh air (and my dear readers, or at least the author, gets to see their flag for the first time in all its glory!)

September 12th, 1840:
Albany gets Blood and Iron mine. Dig deep and greedy, boys!

ngGHswx.png

October 10th, 1840:
We're nearing the time when we can decrease Panjabi opinion of the British to less than Neutral. The US decides to start influencing Persia, with the same idea to dissuade the British from protecting them, preparing Persia for an eventual liberation of Azerbaijan!

December 30th, 1840:
Hrmmmmm...

lkogv8k.png

1st of January, 1841:
Happy anniversary Texas! Liberals go up 2%, Conservatives down 2%

January 6th, 1841:
Victory!
After 16 months of fighting in the malarial jungles of Siam, Gen. Mitchell leads his glorious Pacific Corps into the annals of history as the liberators of the Wiang Chhang people! His grimy, exhausted soldiers are met by overjoyed villagers, and over the next week are treated to all their hospitalities.

A last look at the Siamese theatre:

UmM5zlQ.jpg

EguOdLi.png

Look at that flag!

UftYhBY.png

Majestic borders!

tHvu0vO.png

Next time on Land of the Free:
Will the Portuguese dare annex what should rightfully belong to Zanzibar? Will the Panjab empire fall? Just how many anniversaries can an American's liver safely handle? Stay tuned!

Thanks for reading! I love reading your comments and feedback, so don't be shy!

This is an anwesome concept for a vicky game! There are a bunch of nations which would be cool to see. Like Israel for obvious reasons and its tricky-ness. You would have to sphere Egypt, activate Israels cores* and then somehow un-sphere Egypt to free Israel.
Also in my first vicky game ever I saw a (temporarily) free Cyprus, maybe be nice to see it again :) At least it has more interesting potential than AI-Crete, I think.

*provided of course, the Ottomans don't conquer Palestine from Egypt.

Thanks for your kind feedback! I would love to see Israel in the game too (can't say I've ever seen her form), so I'll do everything in my power to make it happen! I also can't say I've seen Cyprus in a game either; I was overjoyed when I discovered they had independent cores. So great minds think alike my friend: Cyprus has been on the agenda for a while, and 100 years is quite a bit of game-time, so who knows what the future will hold...

PS: Big fan of you repping my home country in your AAR: awesome fun to read :D

Nice AAR and nice premise! I love it a lot!

I will be waiting to see how long it takes you to blast Austria to bits, seems like a prime opportunity for some righteous liberation!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm looking forward to the dissolution of Austria myself. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do it though: all European wars I've ever fought in, I've had direct land access, and a lot more soldier pops than the US does at this stage of the game. Maybe as time goes on an immigration increases, my soldier pops will increase too? I haven't played the US before so I'm figuring it out as I go along. Any advice on how to dismantle the great powers of Europe would be greatly appreciated, by any of you!

I love the idea. Keep going!

Thanks! I'm always pleased to learn someone is having fun reading this

Glorious! The people of Wiang Chhan are free at last, free at last! Never seen them in any game before; player-created or otherwise.

Free Venice nao?

Thank you for your kind words! I'm looking forward to the dissolution of Austria myself. I haven't quite decided how I'm going to do it though: all European wars I've ever fought in, I've had direct land access, and a lot more soldier pops than the US does at this stage of the game. Maybe as time goes on an immigration increases, my soldier pops will increase too? I haven't played the US before so I'm figuring it out as I go along. Any advice on how to dismantle the great powers of Europe would be greatly appreciated, by any of you!
It's going to take a long time before you have any great amount of Soldier POPs as the U.S.. Unless you are willing to Mobilize, I'd suggest waiting until at least 1880 before taking on any major European powers.

I wouldn't consider it a breach of the rules if you were to......liberate Canada....>.>....