• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Please continue with the quorum, but I wanted to let you guys know that, even if I get shierholzer's plans, I'll be unable to play HOI3 for about another week (give or take) until some parts arrive for my PC.

This is still going? I thought this died back in July??? Congrats on keeping it going for so long. I just caught up on the aar. Great read and good work.

This is still going? I thought this died back in July??? Congrats on keeping it going for so long. I just caught up on the aar. Great read and good work.

Thanks! You're welcome to jump back in if you've time now. :)

Sure. check your pm

Good news! I've gotten my PC issues fixed, so I'm back up and ready to go! shierholzer, please submit your plans any time you're ready. (If your schedule is just too busy to participate, please tell me that too; I've sent a couple of PMs.) Once I get the plans, we'll be ready to good!

Forgot to set an official deadline: if by Tuesday at 10 PM, I haven't heard from shierholzer, I will resort to... other measures. I will not let this AAR die, even if it kills me!

Forgot to set an official deadline: if by Tuesday at 10 PM, I haven't heard from shierholzer, I will resort to... other measures. I will not let this AAR die, even if it kills me!
But then it will die alongside you, and you will not be capable to update the other brilliant AARs you have. And you have promised a March of the Eagles AAR! ;)

But then it will die alongside you, and you will not be capable to update the other brilliant AARs you have. And you have promised a March of the Eagles AAR! ;)

Indeed I have. I remember my promises (when it's convenient ;)).

Top Secret; Eyes of Addressee only

From: Interim Atlantic Theater Commander General of The Army Omar Bradley
To: Pacific Theater Commander Admiral William Halsey, Jr, CNO
RE: European Theater of Operations

Bill, I hate to mention this, but our beloved civilian leaders have really knocked over a hornet's nest this time. Our forces in Europe are scattered and divided chasing down minor nuisances while the bear is coming to clip our wings. I need every transport, tugboat and rusty scow I can borrow beg or steal. We are about to have a disaster on the scale of Custer's last charge. I plan to order a general retreat to Italy where I hope to defend until the navy can pull us out. Those forces close to the northern coast will retreat to northern France around Dunkirk in order to be evacuated to England. We will let the bear have his way for awhile and then we will land behind him and cut him off from mother Russia. Assuming we can get the transports from the Pacific to France and Italy on time.

How could those idiots piss off Stalin like that before we are ready to fight him? I have no love for the bastard, but the present situation on the ground is not conducive to fighting a force 3-4 times our size.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, but I do need those transports if I am going to save our boys.
Thanks
Omar Bradley
General of The Army

So, son of liberty kind of stole my thunder (but that's okay). I've asked him to step in as Atlantic Theater Commander with shierholzer's mysterious absence. When I get his plans, we'll go ahead and update.

So, son of liberty kind of stole my thunder (but that's okay). I've asked him to step in as Atlantic Theater Commander with shierholzer's mysterious absence. When I get his plans, we'll go ahead and update.
((Sorry about that, I tried to PM NovaTheorum but wanted to get the call out for the transports ASAP. I can save 90-95% of our forces if the transports come immediately. LOL, of course that was BEFORE you reminded me of the ai being in control. I suspect it will become a massacre. I have one other option in mind, but the Senators and the President really would not like it.))

Members of the US Senate, I am the new Atlantic Theater Commander Omar Bradley.

I will not mince words. You have put our boys in serious danger by starting a war with Stalin right now. We must reinstate the draft now. Additionally, I suspect Stalin called your bluff because he knew too much about the disposition of our forces. Thus I call for tightening the leash on the press at least until We can regain the initiative. Thirdly, the OSS is severely lacking on information regarding the disposition of Soviet forces. The LS budget for the OSS needs to be majorly increased for at least 2-3 weeks with the USSR it's sole target. The war with Bulgaria needs to be put on hold for now, and for God's sake do not DOW Spain until after we take Moscow at the earliest.
Fourthly; I have asked Pacific Command to send me all transports. The warships in theater are sufficient, I believe, to handle the Russian navy. This puts the invasion of Japan on the back burner. I hate to do that, but if we don't we will lose all of our forces currently deployed to the European continent. I would suggest that the USN finish off the IJN and then sink all of her merchant fleet. This will seriously weaken Japan allowing China to regain the Upper hand.
Fifthly; I request all available Army Aircorp forces be sent to Norway and Italy. I would prefer to start closer to the front, but there is serious danger of the airfields being overrun. All ftr/int forces are to gain air superiority so that our strats and tacs can destroy the infrastructure of the approaching red tidal wave. We will also need to attack their airfields immediately(Avindian do you actually leave the air forces to ai control also? I found the ai sorely lacking for this function).

Gentlemen and ladies, let me be crystal clear. If you do not re-institute the full draft immediately, we might as well bring our boys home. We are facing a horde that outnumbers us by at least 3-1. My best estimates((playtesting :p )) show that the Soviets have more armor than we have total forces in theater.

While we wait for the manpower pool to recover, I propose we build 8 more strat squadrons and 8 more tac squadrons. Previously, int squadrons have worked well for us. However, we now need longer range fighters to reach deep into Russia so that our strats can attack the Soviet supply lines. Have no doubt that I intend to win this war you have started; BUT for now we must retreat and regather/strengthen our forces.

While waiting for the transports to arrive, the forces currently attacking Vichy can continue their mission. We should be able to finish them off before the reds arrive. Full OOB and plan to follow in a matter of hours.

If you are not going to immediately institute service by requirement, let my office know immediately so that I can bring our boys home while you seek some kind of peace with Stalin. Lacking any kind of "super weapon", we cannot defeat Russia with current forces. We must expand our mobile forces with concentration on armored and mechanized forces. We have plenty of infantry to be the anvil when the time comes. Now, build me a hammer. Thank you.

Until this classification is altered by the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the contents of this briefing are classified Top Secret. Under the Espionage Act of 1917, the transmission of this briefing in any format to unauthorized parties constitutes an act of treason, and will be prosecuted accordingly.

Operational Planning: 60-day plan Jan 1 44 – Mar 1 44

Operation "Dunkirk"

In order to best position our forces for survival and eventual return to mainland Europe, it is now necessary to regroup and likely retreat for the time being.

Operational Contingency 1: The Senate must approve and immediately re-instate a full draft.
Operational Contingency 2: The invasion of Bulgaria must be put on hold until we have driven Soviet forces beyond the Dnieper River.
Operational Contingency 3: This plan assumes no help from our allies in holding back the Soviet advance. If coordinated operations were possible, a general retreat would be unnecessary.

Operational duties:

A) Army Group Italy
1) Retreat to Northern Italy forming a defensive perimeter on the Udine to Lasa line. This plan takes advantage of Swiss neutrality and advantageous terrain as well as multiple accessible ports should full retreat actually become an operational necessity. (defensive stance)
a) First Army to redeploy to the southern most section of the proposed defensive line slightly forward deployed to Trieste at the southern most point following the favorable terrain north and westward. (defensive stance)
b) Fourth Army Deployed to Northern Italy at the Swiss border in Lasa deployed in a southern and eastern arc meeting up with First Army
c) Second Army deployed slightly behind and towards the center of First and Fourth Armies functioning as a strategic reserve and secondary defensive line should the other two armies be unable to hold.
2) 4th and 30th Infantry divisions transfer from AG Italy to AG France. Both Proceed to Amsterdam.
3) 26th ID break off attack on Algiers and redeploy on TRG Freedom to Tunis to reorg and recuperate. After Recovery, re-board TRG Freedom and land West of Algiers
4) 24th ID proceed to Annaba and take the port. Then proceed to Algiers. Coordinate with 26th ID after they recover in the taking of Algiers.
5) SAGs Iowa and Montana proceed to Black Sea. Engage and destroy Soviet Black Sea Fleet. Fleet commanders are advised to keep a close watch on the advance of the Soviet Red Army to ensure a timely retreat through the Dardanelles before becoming trapped in the Black Sea.
6) Sags Pennsylvania and Texas Rebase to Dover, then Proceed to the Baltic Sea. Engage and destroy Soviet Baltic Sea Fleet. Fleet commanders are advised to keep a close watch on the advance of the Soviet Red Army to ensure a timely retreat before becoming trapped in the Baltic Sea.
7) FRF Daemon rebase to Portsmouth then proceed to the Baltic Sea. Engage and destroy Soviet Baltic Submarine forces. Fleet commanders are advised to keep a close watch on the advance of the Soviet Red Army to ensure a timely retreat before becoming trapped in the Baltic Sea.
8) 1st and 51st USAAF Troop Transports rebase to any convenient English airbase to await further instructions.
9) 10th Mountain Division redeploy to Bolzano. Assume Defensive Stance
10) 1st Artillery Division redeploy to Trieste. Assume Defensive Stance
11) 1st Navy rebase to Genoa, then MOVE to Trieste. Prepare to evacuate wounded troops to the Suez Canal as needed.
12) SSQ Bobcat and SSQ Racoon Engage and destroy Soviet merchant shipping in and around Murmansk and Archangelsk.

OP Order Continues Below

Until this classification is altered by the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the contents of this briefing are classified Top Secret. Under the Espionage Act of 1917, the transmission of this briefing in any format to unauthorized parties constitutes an act of treason, and will be prosecuted accordingly.

Operational Planning: 60-day plan Jan 1 44 – Mar 1 44

Operation "Dunkirk"

In order to best position our forces for survival and eventual return to mainland Europe, it is now necessary to regroup and likely retreat for the time being.

Operational Contingency 1: The Senate must approve and immediately re-instate a full draft.
Operational Contingency 2: The invasion of Bulgaria must be put on hold until we have driven Soviet forces beyond the Dnieper River.
Operational Contingency 3: This plan assumes no help from our allies in holding back the Soviet advance. If coordinated operations were possible, a general retreat would be unnecessary.

Operational duties:

B) Army Group France
1) SSQ Coyote Engage and destroy Soviet merchant shipping in and around Murmansk and Archangelsk.
2) HQs "Army France" and "3rd Army" redeploy to Rotterdam. Coordinate retreat and defense of Northern Europe in the area of Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Western Germany.
3) 14th Army Corps retreat to and defend from Njimegen to Amsterdam. Take full advantage of forts and terrain.
4) 7th Corps retreat to and defend from Kreifeld to Saarlouis. Take full advantage of forts and terrain.
5) 3rd Army Corps retreat to and defend from Saarlouis to Strasbourg. Take full advantage of forts and terrain.
6) Second Corps retreat to and defend from Saarbruken to Swiss border. Take full advantage of forts and terrain.

C) 1st Army
1) 1st Army and 3rd Armored Corps HQs redeploy to Besancon. Coordinate the attack against Vichy France
2) 4th Armored Corps HQ redeploy to Limoges. Coordinate the attack against Vichy France.
3) Paris HQ is no longer needed. Dismantle and redistribute forces as needed.
4) Armored Corps forces currently engaged against Vichy are to make haste to eliminate Vichy from The European continent.
5) After defeat of continental Vichy forces, the 4th Armored Corps HQ and and all units under their command are to relocate to North Africa for the elimination of all remaining Vichy strongholds.
6) After defeat of continental Vichy forces, the 3rd Armored Corps HQ and and all units under their command are to act as a strategic reserve in France and help cover the retreat off continent as needed.

D) Pacific Fleet Transports
1) Request Pacific Fleet Command transfer all transports to Atlantic Fleet Command and rebase to Miami pending deployment for the evacuation phase of operation Dunkirk. As the transports arrive in Miami they should be rebased to Genoa or Plymouth as needed and from there prepare to evacuate the troops.

E) USAAF Forces
1) 3rd Fighter rebase Metz, air superiority
2) 7th Fighter Budapest, air superiority over the Black Sea
3) 4th Fighter Kassell air superiority
4) 1st Fighter rebase Metz, air superiority
5) 2nd Fighter rebase Venezia, air superiority
6) 48th Fighter Rostock air superiority over Baltic Sea
7) 301st Fighter Rostock air superiority over Baltic Sea
8) 2nd Bomber rebase to Cherbourg, rest/reorg, rebase to Metz Log Strike
9) 1st and 13th Bomber, rebase to Budapest Log Strike Soviet front lines
10) 1st Long Range Bomber rebase to Rostock Port Strike Baltic Sea Ports. When operating from Rostock is no longer tenable, rebase to the rear but try to continue operations. Switch to Logistic Strikes and Air Base Strikes when Baltic ports are out of reach.
11) 2nd Strat Rebase to Bucharest Port Strike Black Sea Ports. When operating from Bucharest is no longer tenable, rebase to the rear but try to continue operations. Switch to Logistic Strikes and Air Base Strikes when Black Sea ports are out of reach.

NOTE To All Air Commanders: Be prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice. Pay very close attention to the advance of the Red Army and be prepared to rebase far enough away for immediate safety, but close enough to continually harass the Soviet advance.

Gentlemen, This concludes my projected Operations ordered for the next 60 days. My aide will be standing by to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Fellow Senators, in this hour of dark foreboding, we must, as Winston Churchill put it, "Lift up our hearts" in the promise that all will come bright out of the depths of sorrow and sacrifice. We cannot taste defeat when we have yet to be defeated. I am positive that the United States Army, which has faced overwhelming odds before, will attain absolute victory against the Soviet Union in this, Our Finest Hour. Britain had their finest hour when they precariously saved their island from the Luftwaffe, and this is our finest hour, when we destroy the Soviet war machine and push to absolute victory over Bolshevism. And even though my party does not stand in the White House, I do not see why we cannot come together in this trying hour to approve a general draft.

God bless America!

I formally move that we reinstate the Draft in order to supply manpower to our boys overseas.

Signed,
Mary Phillips D-CA
Leader of the Democratic Party

I fully support and co-sponsor Senator Phillips' proposal to reinstate the Draft. As General Bradley has made very clear to us, we'll need every soldier we can get!

- Senator Ryan Marshall (D-NV)

As much as it pains me, the draft must be reinstated.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

That makes 3 of the necessary five votes to reinstate the draft via EVA. I'll add the two parts of the op plans to the OP momentarily.

EDIT: When you say "coordinate the attacks", what do you mean?

To: Interim Atlantic Theater Commander General of the Army, Omar Bradley
From: Pacific Theater Commander Admiral William Halsey, Jr, CNO
RE: European Theater of Operations

I understand that the situation on the ground is frightening, but we're going to have to do our best with what the people of America have given us. I'll do my best to get you what you need, but it's going to take a bit of doing. Word from the front is that General Bradley has called off the invasion of Japan until he knows what's going on with this "powerful weapon" the scientists have worked up. Apparently a bomb to end all bombs. If it works, we may see it against those Commie fools sooner rather than later. I know it's a long trip, so I don't know what we can do about moving the transports in time, but I can see what can be done about reallocating any forces we may have available. I'll talk to Congress and see what's going on - we'll get the transports under way in the meantime.

Give Mary my best. She must be worried sick about you.

Admiral William Halsey, Jr.
CNO

To: Pacific Theater Commander Admiral William Halsey, Jr, CNO
From: General of the Army George C. Marshall, Chief of the US Army & Air Force
RE: Air Force expansion

Admiral, as you may understand I am in a rather sticky situation right now. Our armies are all but ready for the battle against the Soviets, and more units will be needed. Our interim Atlantic commander General Bradley has sent me a memo containing the needs for our air force. The numbers are, quite frankly, shocking. His estimates are that we will need 8 Multi-Role Fighter wings and 8 Tactical and 8 Strategical bomber wings.
The necessary means to constuct even half of these air wings are impossible to draw from the Air Force budget alone. In my new production request, which will be published soon, I have already scrapped some infantry divisions that would've been sent to the Pacific. But since I can't possibly scrap units that can reinforce the Atlantic, I still need more available industrial capacity. And this is where you come in. Consider this a formal request to the Naval Office to free up at least 25IC for the expansion of our Air Force. We will need those new air wings!

General of the Army George C. Marshall
Chief of the US Army & Air Force