• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I love it but if I may ask, why the Mongol startdate? Pagans/hordes are not playable at this point and the trade republics weren't very involved with the mongols.

To encourage people to start at different interesting points in history, perhaps? At moment, most people experience the hordes when HRE has all of Africa and Denmark has all of Lithuania. In real life, it was the Lithuanians who kicked the Mongol ass in modern day Ukraine (after the initial hordes disbanded after the poppa khan's death, that is).

Additionally, I suspect there is some German townsfolk playable in around the Baltic in this start. Just a wild guess.

e. Answered already.

Last edited:
maybe using highest existing liege title inforior to emperor ?
then a duchy directly under an emperor would use duke's culture...

This. As far as I understand, the new feature would mean the Bohemian lands are named in German, not Czech, provided the Kingdom of Bohemia has not gone independent. But I guess you have to accept that this otherwise awesome feature has its downsides. All features have to follow a universal pattern.

This. As far as I understand, the new feature would mean the Bohemian lands are named in German, not Czech, provided the Kingdom of Bohemia has not gone independent. But I guess you have to accept that this otherwise awesome feature has its downsides. All features have to follow a universal pattern.

This is also one reason, why I would prefer, if this would work with the culture of the local ruler. The one, who controll this title. The North Italian counties shouldn't also not German. Verona would be Bern (if they use the German of this time, in modern Time we don't use it), Firenze would be Florenz, Savoia would be Savoyen, Milano would be Mailand... I think Matilda of Tuscany (or should she also German: Mathilde von Tuszien?) wouldn't accept this. :D

This is also one reason, why I would prefer, if this would work with the culture of the local ruler. The one, who controll this title. The North Italian counties shouldn't also not German. Verona would be Bern (if they use the German of this time, in modern Time we don't use it), Firenze would be Florenz, Savoia would be Savoyen, Milano would be Mailand... I think Matilda of Tuscany (or should she also German: Mathilde von Tuszien?) wouldn't accept this. :D

But of course it would be one of the reasons why she has an opinion malus against her overbearing German liege and is conspiring for independence with all of Northern Italy.

Paradox keeps making me happy, the rep DLC is going to be awesome, 1.09 looks sweet it looks now like it will be possible to play Nubia and such with the new Mercs. this also makes me anxious to see what the next DLC gem will be and 1.10 ( Hopefully Pagans, a succesion law were you choose your Heir would be good too(outside the republics) Alos with the success of republics I hope they will allow landlocked Reps soon too.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it will use the top_liege culture as well, that's how localized titles such as count vs earl now work. I'd also prefer it using the direct ruler's culture instead but we probably won't get that.
I'll just have to suffer such eyesores as Lüttich and Hennegau in my game until I kick the Jerries out, then I'll have my Luik and Henegouwen :D

It is mostly a filthy misappropriation of the public penny for your own selfish re-election needs.

The AI will act as if the public holdings are its own for as long as it rules the Republic.

Gonna have to be crooky then, it seems! ;) Thanks for the answer!

Tieing this stuff to the culture of the title holder is complete crap - what is the point? You get a Dutch emperor and suddenly Berlin is Berlijn? Next day he's Czech, and it's Brljzzncvc or whatever, then maybe the year after Aztec and it's Berlintuahantepec. All for shits and giggles. What an absurd system.

I think this "cultural naming" is utter crap, it's something for anally fixated ethnochauvinists with short penises and cultural inferiority complexes, who get a rise out of seeing their language imposed on some local place. "Yay me, I managed to have a province in a computer game turn my culture." :wacko:

I just use German province names for everything. I hate language mishmash, especially in a decidedly non-modern game setting like the middle ages. My map should look like a medieval map maker drew it for ME, not for a geography class in a 21st century school. No such nonsense with incomprehensible names, just because that's how the locals write it, damn it... I'm the king/duke/count/whatever! Write it in my language please.

Or -- more realistically, given the time period -- Latin. So what if the Orthodox and Muslim regions complain? Deal with it. :p

Besides, Londinium just sounds so much better.

There are cases where this makes sense though, take for example the Turkish conquest of Asia Minor. While some Turkish names are simply bastardizations of the originals, in other cases they had very different names for the same areas: Nikaea/Iznik for example.

Another area is the German/Slav border and the Baltic. Königsberg becomes unrecognizable in its Slavic form Krolewiec etc..

Also Wales: Glywysing can now become Glamorgan if conquered by the Saxons/Normans/English etc..
And I'm pretty sure I can mod in the Gaelic names in Scotland so I will have a Kingdom of Alba with vassal duchy Moireibh which becomes Kingdom of Scotland with Moray as a vassal once the rulers become (lallans) Scots.

If there was actually a way for me to define graphical cultures with a mix of DLC and custom graphics, with a fallback to vanilla and custom graphics (or just vanilla graphics) I'd do so, but second_graphical_culture doesn't seem to work for me.

i do not really know much about coding, but i am curious, is second_graphical_culture not working a bug?? I mean, if it is then I can yell at the paradox people at the bug report forum so I can get my Orthodox Vestments without all these newer portrait packs! :p

by the way, thank you for all the work you have done keeping that mod alive! (without you I would never have been able to have the orthodox vestments in the first place! :) )

Or -- more realistically, given the time period -- Latin. So what if the Orthodox and Muslim regions complain? Deal with it. :p

Besides, Londinium just sounds so much better.

No!!! It should all be Greek!

(or Serbian!!!!!!!!!!!! :p )

i do not really know much about coding, but i am curious, is second_graphical_culture not working a bug?? I mean, if it is then I can yell at the paradox people at the bug report forum so I can get my Orthodox Vestments without all these newer portrait packs! :p

by the way, thank you for all the work you have done keeping that mod alive! (without you I would never have been able to have the orthodox vestments in the first place! :) )
It's not that it does not work (it does), but it doesn't work like we'd hope.

second_graphical_culture is used if the definition for the primary graphical_culture isn't found, so it's only really usable for the DLC cultures where everything, including the sprite definitions from portraits_easternslavic.gfx etc. is in the .zip. When the game doesn't load the DLC or you don't own it it sees that it can't find easternslavicgfx for the Russian culture so it falls back on western.

For modders this isn't helpful at all, since if I include a new graphical culture for e.g. Serbians that depends on the Russian Portrait DLC I still have to put the serbiangfx sprite definitions in interface, so the game sees and loads this, and it only fails when it tries to pull the textures for it. It never uses a second_graphical_culture in that case since the sprite definitions were found even if the graphics were not.

Considering the game is essentially ahistorical as soon as you hit the start button I think the cultural naming sounds kind of fun... Seeing what names everything ends up with by the end of a play through...

It will be interesting to see how it is finally implemented next week...

I've already reported it in the bug reports forum. I don't know if it's made its way into the internal forums yet, though.

Tieing this stuff to the culture of the title holder is complete crap - what is the point? You get a Dutch emperor and suddenly Berlin is Berlijn? Next day he's Czech, and it's Brljzzncvc or whatever, then maybe the year after Aztec and it's Berlintuahantepec. All for shits and giggles. What an absurd system.

I think this "cultural naming" is utter crap, it's something for anally fixated ethnochauvinists with short penises and cultural inferiority complexes, who get a rise out of seeing their language imposed on some local place. "Yay me, I managed to have a province in a computer game turn my culture." :wacko:

I just use German province names for everything. I hate language mishmash, especially in a decidedly non-modern game setting like the middle ages. My map should look like a medieval map maker drew it for ME, not for a geography class in a 21st century school. No such nonsense with incomprehensible names, just because that's how the locals write it, damn it... I'm the king/duke/count/whatever! Write it in my language please.

I think you just showed that you are an example of someone anally fixated ethnochauvinist with short penis and cultural inferiority complex, who gets a rise out of seeing your language imposed on some local place.