Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 15 - Et tu Brute?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really like this Dev. Diary.

When I first read "So far, all of the national profiles we’ve given you have focused on the big boys – the major powers that people tend to start with when they play a new game..." I knew it was going to be something relevant to my interests. In EU3, I never played any nation "larger" than Milan (who I was excited to see here) or the Teutonic Order. To me, there's no fun in building up a nation that is already well established and holds a dominant place in the world, as you're essentially just carrying on someone else's legacy. My favorite gameplay moments come from things like the Byzantines colonizing North America, or the Knights Hospitaller waging holy war against the infidel in India and Indonesia.

Speaking of the Crusading Orders. I really like the NIs and events that flesh out Milan into more of a unique nation. I hope the Teutonic Order and the Knights Hospitaller get some equally interesting features that make it feel like your nation is run by the grandmaster of a fanatical military order rather than a President, Doge, or King.

I'm so totally gonna buy that. I love you Paradox, how many hours did I spend playing your games ... It was a pleasure, take my money already :cool:

If republics have republican tradition, and monarchies legitimacy, then maybe theocracies should have Piety? It would work well - if you have high piety, you are stronger, if you have 0 piety you are likely to become a monarchy. (but it would need some buff to theocracies, to make them interesting for players that play them - meaning he don't immediately become monarchy - or giving bad penalties in order to stop player from doing it. Or both).

If republics have republican tradition, and monarchies legitimacy, then maybe theocracies should have Piety? It would work well - if you have high piety, you are stronger, if you have 0 piety you are likely to become a monarchy. (but it would need some buff to theocracies, to make them interesting for players that play them - meaning he don't immediately become monarchy - or giving bad penalties in order to stop player from doing it. Or both).

I like the idea, but:
1) theocracies are not elected or hereditary, they are faith-based. The creeping secularization of a faith-based political order should have deep repercussions, like excommunication and/or religious change. So if you throw the catholic bishop out, you get excommunicated. If you are protestant, muslim etc. You should get a nice wave of religious zealots, and possibly your new regime would be of another religion - shia instead of sunny, reformed, etc.
2) they could become both monarchies or republics.
3) a theocracy with high piety could give you high morale and low stability cost, but in any case a theocracy should make technology more costly.
4) since there are no elections or royal marriages, we would need a new method of gaining or losing piety. Maybe a set of random events involving the papacy, the empire, holy wars or the holy lands?

I think the jump from theocracy to monastic order makes sense for a state that becomes militaristic, and too pious. This might discourage players who want to stay a theocracy from aggressively crusading everything in sight. From a monastic order, a despotic monarchy is just a matter of losing piety. Question is, how do you measure militarism?

If a theocracy isn't pious enough, I like Herbert's idea of having excommunication. Perhaps being excommunicated as the leader of a theocracy could be the trigger for a player choice? "Mea maxima culpa! I repent my sins." to lift excommunication and boost piety, but cause a big drop in prestige and cost money. Alternatively, "I know the True Path; we are done with the Church." to convert to Protestant or Reformed and naturally make the Pope hate your guts. Non-Catholic theocracies could revert to monarchy upon losing further piety.

Of course, Milan can still form the nation of Italy as all Italian minors can ;) But they need to dominate Northern Italy and Rome to do it.

Of course. My question thought is: is there any difference between an Italy formed from Milan and an Italy formed from... let's say Napoli, or the Vatican?

Of course. My question thought is: is there any difference between an Italy formed from Milan and an Italy formed from... let's say Napoli, or the Vatican?

As far as I know they will have different idea, as their national ideas carry over. So a Milan formed Italy will have different national ideas compared to all the others.

4) since there are no elections or royal marriages, we would need a new method of gaining or losing piety. Maybe a set of random events involving the papacy, the empire, holy wars or the holy lands?
It could also be linked to practitioners of the national religion, missionary success, etc..

I loved to play administrative republics, Aachen ftw.

Wait, wasn't it only Frankfurt and Ulm that was administrative republics after Divine Wind?

a newly formed republic starts with just 1% tradition ... Your Republican Tradition goes up by +1% each year ... You will lose 10% Republican Tradition if you re-elect the same leader, and if you re-elect someone at while you have low tradition (currently we’ve set this at less than 20%), your Republican period comes to an end and you give birth to a despotic monarchy.

By this math it is impossible to re-elect a leader in the first 20 years as a republic, without changing back to a despotic monarchy. And the 10% is that percentage points or 10% of your current tradition? So if I'm at 30% republican tradition, if I re-elect am I at 27% or at 20%? I like the idea of republican tradition, but re-electing leaders should be a viable option, and actually kind of the normal mode (people prefer to vote for what they know, president have a tendency to get re-elected right?). I would also prefer at least the choice to become a republican dictatorship instead of a despotic monarchy.

Possibly it should be something other than a linear increase. e.g. first reelection only costs 4%, next reelection of the same ruler costs 8%, next 16%, etc.