• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The world moves fast forward. April 2010 I ask paradox this question:

Will Paradox move from DirectX to OpenGL?

The answer from Podcat:

I could write a long angry text about what I think about the OpenGL review board and how they have handled stuff lately but it would prob bore most people here. I dont have very high hopes for the future of OGL sadly, I prefer it as an API despite some of the more horrible stuff.

- supporting GL is a lot harder. there are A TON more bugs to deal with and driver quality is atrocious for anything outside the newest nvidia and ati (they have gotten a lot better!)
- hardly any helpful tools and libraries (you got a lot of nice stuff with the DX world)
- Linux players who actually feel like paying for games tend to just use wine/cedega (or what its called these days) which has always run fine for me.
- Mac ports (being a mac user myself) would of course be easier if we did everything with GL, but we have another company who handles most of that stuff for us and it seems to work fine.

Now, almost three years later we will have Paradox games running nativley under Linux. A small step for mankind, a big step for me.

The world moves fast forward.

Indeed, that was a fast change, 2010 was not very long ago. And the major change allowing this seems to have been the decision to move the Mac port in house. No idea if it was Steam for Mac, growth of the tablet market, or growth of Mac market share which prompted this decision. Whatever it was I, as a Linux user, approve. :)

The world moves fast forward. April 2010 I ask paradox this question:

The answer from Podcat:

Now, almost three years later we will have Paradox games running nativley under Linux. A small step for mankind, a big step for me.

Well, a lot of the things Podcat was rightfully complaining about back then are still true - OpenGL support by hardware manufacturers is still second grade, even (especially?) for the windows drivers...

Well, a lot of the things Podcat was rightfully complaining about back then are still true - OpenGL support by hardware manufacturers is still second grade, even (especially?) for the windows drivers...

If more people develop for it, though, it presumably will become a higher priority for the hardware companies?

A few weeks ago Johan confirmed that CK2 would be on linux via steam and, in that thread, I asked about support for Gamersgate customers and got the following reply:

Balor said:
Steam only. Gg has no linux tech at the moment, and considering they got no programmers on the payroll, i suspect a linux install-system would not br something that is coming soon.

I emailed GG and they said the following (about CK2 and linux support):

When there is a Linux version of the game, and the publishers offer it, we actually distribute Linux games as well, but we dont have a filter for it or show it very well for the moment, no.
As far as I know Paradox doesnt have a Linux version of CK2 and GG are only using original versions.

They do indeed have linux support, I checked for Unity of Command and there is a small "download linux version" button but there is zero advertisement on the game page itself or anywhere in the store for that matter. In light of this I hope that Paradox will consider distributing their linux binaries to GG. They don't seem to have a problem with it. Maybe someone from PDS will see this and reconsider their decision. I'll admit that it's a little late for a Christmas present but I'm not big on tradition anyways :p

I just discovered this thread. Thank you paradox! That's absolutely fantastic! I could never get your games to work properly with wine. Now if you could manage to make the upcoming games also available outside of Steam that would be terrific.

Now I just hope for a positive feedback loop between new games being ported to linux and the quality of the 3D drivers. Hopefully at some point even the free drivers will be good enough to run those games at a decent speed.

Last edited:
Now I just hope for a positive feedback loop between new games being ported to linux and the quality of the 3D drivers. Hopefully at some point even the free drivers will be good enough to run those games at a decent speed.

Looks like this might actually happen, I never thought I would see the day. Steam for Linux has already made the proprietary Linux drivers improve. Both nvidia and Intel drivers have improved substantially.

yeah there hasnt really been much improvement for development tools, so its still much more of a hassle to track down bugs on non windows platforms. So going OpenGL only makes no sense.

Linux support yay!

I love Paradox games and it is great they will support linux.
Linux is my primary OS and i haven't used windows for over a month.
I can't wait for EU4 to come out so i can play it under Linux.
Thank you to the developers.;)

I had a quick question regarding Mac compatibility. I bought quite a few titles when Windows was my primary platform, but now I'm using a Macbook (and Steam) for work/school and was extremely disappointed to find things missing. (HoI3's "Their Finest Hour" and all of Vicky 2 being the most notable... Steam does not list them as having Mac counterparts, but GG and the Mac App Store do.) Do I have to repurchase all of these through GamersGate or the Mac App Store(boo!), or is there an officially-sanctioned way to enjoy these games on my Macbook?

I hope this is the right place for this question; I've found the Steam forums to be much less civil than these.

All Mac game versions before CK2 were written and released by Virtual Programming www.vpltd.com not Paradox. You'd need to contact them abut their release policies. I know Steam only have Mac EU3 up to Complete , not the last two expansions for instance, I'm not aware of any way around that. And buying those last two expansions on GG won't help as they won't install over the Steam base game - you'd have to re-buy the whole EU3 Chronicles for Mac from GG (or direct from VP/Deliver2Mac).

I didn't notice this thread before now and want to use the opportunity to thank PDS and PI for making it easier to go Linux only. I am hoping that one day I can buy all my games in Linux trough Steam. Someday I can thin that to bad this dev don't support Linux so I won't support them. This is a small step, but I see more and more devs and publisher do this. Paradox is the only reason I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and I only use it for gaming. I still have Windows installed for Victoria 2. I hope that in the future I can use that disk space and the time spent rebooting, for more useful things. That Windows 7 will be the last Windows license I ever buy. I will have to keep it around for as long as Victoria 2 is supported at least, because I will buy all the expansions for that game but after that I hope I never have to go back.

Thanks allot.

i dream about Victoria series and Mount and Blade for Mac and Linux.... :)

I can't see that happen since they aren't new releases anymore. At least Victoria runs on Mac, though not supported by PDS directly. Who knows what TW will do with Mount and Blade 2 but that's not a PDS game.

Sooo noone ever answered the question of what happens to people who bought on GamersGate and would like a native Linux version. I mean, apparently everyone is buying CK2 for 75% off nowadays, and I paid full price for it shortly after it was released, so I do feel kind of entitled to the Linux version. And who knows, I might actually play it and buy some DLCs...