• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If you are going to leave out Novgorod and Florence for not being Merchant enough, including Gotland is rather confusing...I mean, when you compare Gotland and Novgorod (or even the Swiss!) for historical importance, there is no comparison at all, and wasn't Gotland mainly a republic of farmers anyway? And hardly even a proper "republic", let alone a merchant one. It hardly fits the definition of a "Merchant Republic" better than half a dozen others. The restrictions seem confusing and inconsistent. I really hope I don't see some fictional "Gotland Republic" dominating trade in the Baltic in most of my games, it would be completely unrealistic. It should be a trade post of the Hanseatic League at most.

There is sense in what he says.

Is it possible to still be in the game if your Republic is destroyed and the only holding you have left is the family palace?

Possibly. :)

AFAIK, they are now ready to go at any time. It's up to our sales department.

Hmm. If the Mediterranean portraits are ready to go, then I hope the sales people decide to release them sooner rather than later. The Russian portraits were released independently of any content DLC so the Mediterranean ones cod be as well. It's be nice to have them, ESP since they were originally slotted to go with LoR.

Plus it's make waiting for Jan 14 a lot easier if I had new portraits to play with ok the mean time.

Come on Paradox: it'd be the best Christmss gift for me if these were on sale!

Now i am more than intrigued if the patch will also add anything to the trade republics which isn't in the DLC but will add flavour.
Maybe Baby ?

While I'm disappointed that only the major Republics will be playale (although I'll just mod the other republics in myself), the other parts of the DLC otherwise look pretty interesting, though there doesn't seem to be too much new from the DDs here.

I hope some level of this is extended to cities as small, barony sized republics like the City of London could add some spice to feudal gameplay, trying to get your cities to compete with the big republics

Just wondering... Can you make a Muslim ruler a Patrician? Or will the time space continuum collapse in case of Ahmed taking over Venice because the UI is incompatible?

I have a few questions...

1) Since this DD had a Godfather-esque theme to it, here's an obligatory question: What happens if I wipe out all the other 4 families? Do we get new ones or will it be just my family left? And what happens to their trade posts?

2) What happens if the HRE takes over Venice? Is it gameover for all Patrician families in Venice, or do they become noble families if they have castle holdings?

3) If a head from one of the 5 families also holds cities, do the cities still get open elective succession or do they get the agnatic seniority, or do they go to the next Serene Doge?

Oh, also, can the restriction against matrilineal marriage be lifted via modding?

Can the succession law be modded/altered so that it becomes Agnatic-Cognatic or Absolute Cognatic? Or can you create female doges via the ruler designer?(If so then it is time to abuse me some more immortality)

I can't help it. I enjoy flippin' the bird towards such things in games...

Funny how statistically, it is harder to become a female leader in an elective system than a heritage system.

Just wondering... Can you make a Muslim ruler a Patrician? Or will the time space continuum collapse in case of Ahmed taking over Venice because the UI is incompatible?

Well how many independent muslim republics do you know ? Even Cordoba was a republic under a feudal lord and his goodwill as far as i understand.
Thats not a republic, rather wishfull thinking and it lasted exactly how long ? 60 years or something?

Besides my comments, do you have links to read on in case i'm wrong, please ?..as i didnt find anything that shows that it was a real republic,
though i admit i didnt look very hard. ;)

PS: We don't know yet if muslim rulers are hindered from founding a republic, so it's too early to complain i guess, but i'd like an answer as well.
Damn curiosity.

Last edited: