Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice, but that is expensive.:( Hopefully a library nearby gets it.
If you go to a library and suggest them to buy it, they will often consider it since they usually like users to suggest books to help them spend their money.

Out of curiosity what is the destiny of Finland? If Sweden loses the Finnish provinces what happens to the Hakkapeliitta? Also, if Finland gets created/freed (as it always seems to do in EUIII), what will it's national ideas look like?

Out of curiosity what is the destiny of Finland? If Sweden loses the Finnish provinces what happens to the Hakkapeliitta?

I guess they'll still have it. NIs are 'hard-wired' and not alternate history friendly - you get them regardless of the context. You can potentially have Swedish noble republic with 'Swedish Absolutism', absolutist England with 'Bill of Rights', or protestant Spain with 'Devout Catholicism'.

I guess they'll still have it. NIs are 'hard-wired' and not alternate history friendly - you get them regardless of the context. You can potentially have Swedish noble republic with 'Swedish Absolutism', absolutist England with 'Bill of Rights', or protestant Spain with 'Devout Catholicism'.

One way to look at those NIs is to see them as cultural heritage of a certain country. For example, Bill of Rights could represent a historical event from your country's history (like the stuff from English history), but a hundred years after, you could have a successful line of excellent and capable rulers who are able to regain much power, and so Bill of Rights still remains a part of your culture, it just doesnt mean the same thing. I dont see the problem with that really. In real life history there arent many countries who are now what they were in the beginning, with no or little change along the road.

One way to look at those NIs is to see them as cultural heritage of a certain country. For example, Bill of Rights could represent a historical event from your country's history (like the stuff from English history), but a hundred years after, you could have a successful line of excellent and capable rulers who are able to regain much power, and so Bill of Rights still remains a part of your culture, it just doesnt mean the same thing. I dont see the problem with that really. In real life history there arent many countries who are now what they were in the beginning, with no or little change along the road.

No, that's wrong. If you started with several NI's representing past history, prior to start date, then it could represent heritage, give flavor, and put country in it's unique historical context - that would be fine. NI's based on the future relative to game start can't be considered that way. That's right - future. They totally ignore 'butterfly effect' (no Oprichina if Ivan the Terrible isn't born), or context (Devout Catholicism for protestant Spain). They are cool gimmick, sort of awesome unlockable bonus that player strives to get with joy (similar to leveling in rpgs). They're also immersion braking oversimplification of history for me.

But they had to add to the Swedish national pride some extra treat... The devs are Swedish after all :D Maybe I too would have done that in their place...

No, that's wrong. If you started with several NI's representing past history, prior to start date, then it could represent heritage, give flavor, and put country in it's unique historical context - that would be fine. NI's based on the future relative to game start can't be considered that way. That's right - future. They totally ignore 'butterfly effect' (no Oprichina if Ivan the Terrible isn't born), or context (Devout Catholicism for protestant Spain). They are cool gimmick, sort of awesome unlockable bonus that player strives to get with joy (similar to leveling in rpgs). They're also immersion braking oversimplification of history for me.
Just what I'm talking about when I said that I don't want to see a movie about what happened in Europe during the new age. With such pre-deterministic NIs they might as well add the pre-deterministic events of EU2 when no matter what you did, it triggered.

But they had to add to the Swedish national pride some extra treat... The devs are Swedish after all :D Maybe I too would have done that in their place...

Just what I'm talking about when I said that I don't want to see a movie about what happened in Europe during the new age. With such pre-deterministic NIs they might as well add the pre-deterministic events of EU2 when no matter what you did, it triggered.

That's silly. You don't have to see them as what they're called, just because it says Swedish Absolutism doesn't mean that what it is in your game. Maybe it's referencing to how well run your republic is. The only historical deterministic thing about it is the name. You can imagine it to mean whatever you want, it's just modifiers.

While that is true, all your examples take place AFTER Denmark lost Skane. Until 1645 or so, the Danes seem to have perfectly held their ground.

The question is really, was that loss and thus the subsequent decline rather inevitable, or was it a fluke/lucky roll for Sweden that allowed them to get out of the Sound dues and take important Danish land, allowing them to snowball until Denmark couldn't stop them?

From what I can see Denmark was also fighting other countries in that particular war (namely the Netherlands, who according to wiki provided the bulk of the fleet involved in the decisive naval battles) and so I would see it as 'Sweden in a good spot smacks Denmark in a bad spot, and Denmark never recovers'. If it hadn't won that war, but instead Denmark at some point had found a rich and powerful ally strong enough to help Denmark seize Goteborg or the Swedish baltic provinces...?

Its safe to say im0 that whoever controls the Skåneland controls Scandinavia (you have to remember that even today Øresunds regionen has the most population in Scandinavia! Skåneland makiing up quite alot of that)
After watching Russia's NI, I don't think Swedens are that bad! but I think these NI seems to force you in one direction of playstyle..

Its known to all that the faulty British, French, Dutch (all those evil people in europe "teasing") were scared of a unified Scandinavia and they did all they could to split up power by supporting the weakest at the
current time an event came.

Last edited:
Sweden should win a majority of the games, but you'll have to wait to see the unique national ideas for Denmark and Norway... All 3 scandinavian countries are really different in playstyle, and the ideas really enhances their roles.

I hope thats not right. Sweden should be quite weak, at the early start date and be most likely to lose wars before 1500 and against both Denmark-Norway (the union survived untill 1524 after all) But the NI seems to support Sweden being quite powerful early on. I much rather see them getting the boost midgame when they historical became a dominant european power (unlike some of the others I don't disagree with that)

That being said. I wonder how the union will work ? will it be like EU3 or will we see a better mechanic to show us this ? will Sweden get events to revolt etc? I kinda disliked that if you played Denmark in EU3 Sweden would just spam you insults.. that was a bad way of simulating it! I much rather see dynamic events where revolts come and chances for negative effects would hit the "ruler" of the union.

Also will Sweden start with cores on Skåneland ?

Whilst I can't conclusively answer that, I can tell you that at this startdate in EU3, Sweden has cores on both Skåneland and Gotland. Smart money would guess that it'll still be the same.

Yes but seeing they have a new core system :) you never know.. because I think its a cheap core to start with.. (not that it matters much in SP)

They have a new system for changing cores. Theyre still using the same data for existing/startdate cores.

Guess it makes sense they would stick with the same.. still that would be disappointing :D but nothing to ruin my excitement..

This is so bullshit, ah well...

Sweden should just have "All your bases belong to us " Type of event where they just win the entire Scandinavia + Europe

Last edited:
This is so bullshit, ah well...

Sweden should just have "All your bases belong to us " Type of event where they just win the entire Scandinavia + Europe

Don't worry Mehow! I've heard that Norway gets an National Idea called "Norwegian Ski Infantry"

Warning
Obvious sarcasm is present in this post.

Personally I'd sod Livonia and the Baltic and focus on Scandinavian unification and later on colonizing what is today known as "Canada." Easy way to become the leading producer and trader in fur which is sure to fill my coffers with sweet, sweet income. Whenever I try to establish the Swedish dominance of the Baltic it always ends up badly with either everyone and their mothers ganking me or just a slow bleeding of my coffers due to having armies and navies that are too large for the relatively poor income I get from my provinces, even accounting for fur and lumber trade.

Personally I'd sod Livonia and the Baltic and focus on Scandinavian unification and later on colonizing what is today known as "Canada." Easy way to become the leading producer and trader in fur which is sure to fill my coffers with sweet, sweet income. Whenever I try to establish the Swedish dominance of the Baltic it always ends up badly with either everyone and their mothers ganking me or just a slow bleeding of my coffers due to having armies and navies that are too large for the relatively poor income I get from my provinces, even accounting for fur and lumber trade.

I was with you, until you said you'd colonize Canada. We live in a frigid, cold, forested, furry place - so you'll colonise a frigid, cold, forested, furry place? seems like a lot of voyage for nothing to me :p why don't you go for Brazil, Africa, Asia?