• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Be willing to accept a white peace.
True that. In my attempt at this I managed to climb up to above 80% warscore, then I saw that the Seljuk were coming back into the fray with a replenished stack of about twice the size of what I had left. I was eyeing the money the Seljuk would've had to pay for war reparations rather greedily but opted for white peace in the end.

About the map: is that a succesful reconquista in Iberia or just funnily coloured muslim states? And that light blueish colour, is that Scotland, some breakaway from France or some muslim power that has taken Aquitaine as usual?

And is it just me or do the norwegians win England and conquer all the finno-ugric pagans to form a super-Norway, as seen there, more frequently than before? In all 3 of my most recent game, all began around 1.07, Norway won the invasion of England but then the crowns split, usually leaving the Yngling dynasty to rule in England and the af Orkneyar dynasty with the crown of Norway in Orkney, for some reason.

And lastly, interesting Poland-Hungary. Or is it Hungary-Poland?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Show her yo masterpiece!*

And btw, best of luck :)

*I mean this AAR. Gosh, I found that this good be taken "both sides" after I've posted it..

• 1Haha
Reactions:

So it begins.

This has been a fun read so far. I dream of someday playing a game to completion so I actually have a use for your (probably great!) converters. :c

Ages ago, it took me ages to do the same (with CK: DW). I still haven't played a CK2 game to completion.

It's alive!

I'm not dead yet. I feel fine. I feel happy!

Very good AAR, Can we ask for political map of Europe?

Ask and you shall receive (you know, yesterday).

You got back Egypt. That's so great and without really trying. The Mongols have come.That should make things interesting. Are the Byzantines up to the challenge?

Well, it wasn't without effort, I just didn't show the effort. Of course, pretty much any war I care to fight at this point is winnable, provided I care enough to try, and don't make idiot mistakes.

The mongols have arrived! Things are about to get interesting.

For the nations in their path, yes. For the Empire, maybe eventually.

True that. In my attempt at this I managed to climb up to above 80% warscore, then I saw that the Seljuk were coming back into the fray with a replenished stack of about twice the size of what I had left. I was eyeing the money the Seljuk would've had to pay for war reparations rather greedily but opted for white peace in the end.

About the map: is that a succesful reconquista in Iberia or just funnily coloured muslim states? And that light blueish colour, is that Scotland, some breakaway from France or some muslim power that has taken Aquitaine as usual?

And is it just me or do the norwegians win England and conquer all the finno-ugric pagans to form a super-Norway, as seen there, more frequently than before? In all 3 of my most recent game, all began around 1.07, Norway won the invasion of England but then the crowns split, usually leaving the Yngling dynasty to rule in England and the af Orkneyar dynasty with the crown of Norway in Orkney, for some reason.

And lastly, interesting Poland-Hungary. Or is it Hungary-Poland?

In Iberia, from west to east: Leon, Castille, and muslim Aquitaine. They (I'm not sure who) had seized most of it at one point, got a bunch of Iberian holdings, and have since been pushed out of France.

From my occasional glances at England, it's been interesting. I think the Norwegians won at first, then it rebelled to the Saxons, then the Normans got it and immediately lost it, then the Norwegians again, and it seems it's setting out with them holding the Danelaw. And it's Hungary-Poland. I probably need to ally with them for the future of Europe.

And thanks for all the interesting relationship advice, all! :p

Reactions:
23. The Donation of Constantine
Konstantinos had reclaimed the whole of the Empire. It was enough to fulfill any man's pride, even his. But now his advisors had sent a scholar to him. They claimed this scholar had news of great import, but that he tended to speak long. Konstantinos steeled himself.

"My liege, as you will recall, the Empire is of great age. It had had a great many civil wars, even discounting those during the era in which is was a republic. It was these civil wars which led to the division into East and West Empires."
"Yes, yes, and the West fell to barbarians. Now only the East remains, therefore we are simply the Empire."
"Quite true, my liege. But there are some who claim that via translatio imperii, they are the successors of the West Empire. They style themselves the Holy Roman Empire."
"Fah! Germans! They are none of those three. All civilized men know it!"
"Agreed, your majesty. Those within the Empire know the folly of those that claim to compare. But many outside the Empire ascribe to their views. After all, the former Patriarch of Rome, the Pope, supposedly granted the West Empire to the Germans, having inherited it from the Donation of Constantine."
"A document that is surely a forgery!"
"My liege, that is why am here today. I have evidences that could prove that it is false, to the satisfaction of all, both within the Empire and without. But I need access to more records, stored in the archives of the Duchy of Genoa."
"Proved false? That would be…hmm… You shall have access to all my archives in Genoa."
"My liege, I fear I shall also need access to archives in Nice, still held by the French."
"Very well, scholar. You shall have access to the archives in Nice."

23-1.png

When the war had been won, Konstantinos spent some time letting the Scholai Palatinae recover their strength. Eventually, Konstantinos demanded a report from the scholar.

"My liege, I have found several sets of correspondences mentioning the false Donation. With the letters written by the other members of these relationships, I could know the name of the forger and where he lived."
"And where would these letters be?"
"In Tunis, my Lord."
"Where in Tunis?"
"All over the duchy, I am afraid."
"Hrmph. Prepare your desert clothing, scholar."

23-2.png

The war for Tunis was swiftly won, but a few baronies were pleged to other local rulers. Two more short wars were fought for them. During the latter, Konstaninos received a request for aid from his daughter in law, the Duchess of Leon. He had married his heir to her when she was Queen of Leon, and apparently she had lost the title at some point. But now she was warring to reclaim it. Konsantinos sent the Scholai Palatinae and many levies. But the King of Leon did not submit easily. After over two years the war was finally won.

23-3.png

As the troops were being shipped home, the scholar met Konstantinos on the fleet.

"Have you a name scholar?"
"Yes, my Lord. And not just a name, but an exact house where he lived. And it's known kept his records there."
"Excellent! Where is it?"
"Venice."
"Hahaha! Scholar, you have given me excuses to entirely take control the trade of the Sea. To Venice!"

23-4.png

The city of Venice fell swiftly. The Scholai Palatinae could barely be restrained from sacking every bit of the city that had destroyed the former retinues of the Empire. But the house with the records was kept safe.
"My liege, I have it! The complete tale of how the Donation of Constantine was forged. I have written a report, with extensive references, for you."
"Advisers! Have you examined this report?" demanded Konstaninos. When they confirmed that they had, and it was accurate and unassailable (if boring), he continued. "Have copies made and sent throughout the lands of the West Empire."
And then he smiled sardonically. "And send copies to the Germans. And the Pope."
He turned back to the scholar. "Well done, scholar. For this, you shall be greatly rewarded. What is your name?"
"Kaisarios, my Lord."
"Well then. Doge Kaisarios of Venice, your name will be forever remembered within the Empire!"

23-5.png

And in late 1233, the report was sent throughout the land. It made little practical difference in most locations that had long been lost to barbarians. But all now recognized the Empire as the Empire, and not just the empire of the greeks.

23-6.png

Having fulfilled all that his ambition and pride could desire, Konstantinos spent the rest of his days improving his demesne, tightening his control of the Empire, and receiving reports of the ravages of the Mongols.

23-7.png

23-8.png

Finally, on the ninth of May, 1260, he died of old age. He was succeeded by his third (and only living) son, Niketas.

23-9.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
23a. Interlude: Updated Political Map
Oh, and an updated political map:

23-map.png

Last edited:
Reactions:
When will the Mongols arrive at the Empire's borders?

• 1Like
Reactions:
When will the Mongols arrive at the Empire's borders?

If you look at that updated political map, you'll find that they already have :)

I'm assuming that the green blob in the east that is spreading where persians usually hang around is the ilkhanate, but that yellow beast that spreads from the Urals to Finland and from Siberia to the Black sea is most definitely the Golden Horde.

Reactions:
This is a mod, or simply reclaiming certain portions of the West can change your tag to the Roman Empire?
Carthage, Nice.. I love it !

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
Loukas Doukas, nice!

Hadn't noticed that before. He becomes of a bit of significance later.

If you look at that updated political map, you'll find that they already have :)

I'm assuming that the green blob in the east that is spreading where persians usually hang around is the ilkhanate, but that yellow beast that spreads from the Urals to Finland and from Siberia to the Black sea is most definitely the Golden Horde.

Just so. Fortunately, they both seem to have run out of steam.

This is a mod, or simply reclaiming certain portions of the West can change your tag to the Roman Empire?
Carthage, Nice.. I love it !

Didn't make the connection between Carthage and Tunis until you mentioned it (it was always the strange-seeming requirement for the decision). I've played enough EU:Rome it should have been obvious

Reactions:
24. The Glorious
This was Konstantinos XIII of the Empire.

24-1.png

He had ascended to the throne in 1189, at the age of 9. Despite a revolving cast of regents, the Empire flourished during his childhood. Nearly all threats to his rulership were diffused, and territories were gained in muslim Armenia, central Italy, and eastern Sicily.

When he reached the age of majority, he constantly warred against rulers who held long-lost Imperial lands. Soon, all was recovered. As well, he took advantage of a plot in Egypt to bring it back under the Imperial fold.

His ambitions fulfilled, he had planned to cease his warring. But a scholar convinced him to conquer several regions so that his research could show the Donation of Constantine was a forgery. When this was done, he sent letters throughout the lands declaring that he also rightfully ruled the west Empire. While this changed nothing in practice, it allowed for a continuous greater glory of the Empire.

That accomplished, he spent the extensive remainder of his reign improving his holdings, founding new cities, tightening his rule, creating titles, and distributing said titles. After all, an Emperor should rule over kings.

24-2.png
24-3.png

Finally, in 1260, at the great age of 79, he died, and was succeeded by Niketas I, his third son.

24-4.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
25. Imperial Italian Irredentism
This was Niketas I of the Empire. He ascended to the throne in 1260, at the age of 58.

25-1.png

Proud, paranoid, greedy, and envious, he was not happy that his father had not bothered to claim any of the lands that could be claimed by the Empire.

And with the harsh laws his father had passed, he was not popular. He decided to hold a grand tournament to celebrant his ascension, and to hopefully turn opinions his way a little.

25-2.png

The tournament concluded, he considered the many factions in the Empire. One man was connected to many of them: Doux Gennadios of Cyrenaica. In the eyes of many, he had acted dishonorably towards Niketas, so they would not complain when soldiers were sent to arrest him. Unfortunately, the arrest did not go well.

25-3.png

The levies of Egypt were deemed sufficient to handle his rebellion.

25-4.png

Soon enough it was crushed, and Gennadios was led to the Emperor's dungeons.

25-5.png

Now, this was Carinthia. First settled by the Empire at it's height, the region had been overrun by Huns, Lombards, and finally Franks. But in 1261, Niketas declared war against the Germans to reclaim it for the Empire.

25-6.png

This was Verona. Conquered very early by the Empire, it was likewise conquered by Lombards and then Franks. In 1191, it achieved independence from the Germans, but in the 1240s, Lombardy conquered the central portion. In 1262, Niketas declared war on Verona proper, swiftly conquering it. He then declared war on Lombardy for the county of Verona, leaving the county of Padua under Lombard control.

25-7.png
25-8.png

The existing duchies of northern Italy were controlled by rulers that Niketas had truces with. So he marched the Scholai Palatinae further west. After all, there was a very great amount of the Empire to recover. Such as Provence. The first Imperial province past the Alps, it had been part of the west Empire. It was conquered in turn by Visigoths, Ostrogoths, Burgundians, and Franks. It also had achieved independence from the Germans in 1191, initially holding land west of the Rhone as well as Provence proper. But a near-immediate was with Lancaster, which held the southern reaches of England lost them that territory. Eventually, they were held in a personal union with Alsace. When It in turn was conquered by the Kingdom of Lotharingia, the coastal region declared independence…and was swiftly conquered by the Dhunnunuid Sultanate, which held the title of the Kingdom of Aquitaine, but held territory in eastern Iberia. This was this situation when Niketas declared war on Lotharingia in 1263 for Provence.

During this war, the Duke of Armenia's faction tried to install Loukas Doukas on the throne. Niketas did not respond well to their demands.

25-9.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Reactions:
26. The Great Rebellion
In 1264, a faction demanded Loukas Doukas be placed on the throne. Emperor Niketas I refused .The ensuing war well-divided the Empire. But Niketas could raise impressive amounts of men, in addition to the power of the Scholai Palatinae.

26-1.png

In the midst of this war, an independence faction declared their intentions. They were also refused, but things were now beginning to look dire.

26-2.png

Before long, most of Niketas' armies were turned or destroyed. There remained two divisions of the Scholai Palatinae in Italy, an army in Croatia, an army in southern Greece, and an army in Syria. They sieged whatever they could and hoped to not run across a larger army from the various rebels.

After conquering Genoa (which had thrown it's lot in with the independence league), one of the Scholai Palatinae division realized the risk of the pretender war. The leader was in Armenia. Though they might seize the holding of supporters, they might well lose the war from the loss of Eastern territory. For that matter, there were reports that the Emperor's demesne was under assault. They began to travel east.

26-3.png

But it was too late. Loukas was proclaimed Emperor, Niketas imprisoned. The trajectory of the Empire for the past 200 years seemed horribly disrupted.

26-4.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions: