• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, all I know for sure is that it worked to not extract the mod files directly into the EU folder; instead, I extracted them into a new folder, and cut and pasted the contents of that folder into the EU folder. Trying the other way did not work for me in Windows 7. Even my method didnt work the first time. At one point, even my regular, unmodded game wouldn't even work, so I had to do a fresh new install of the regular game.

After running IGC a few times, it seems to have somehow worked out the bugs and now usually starts without a hitch, but even after my first successful install, I got error messages and CTDs for the first several attempts. No idea if I did something right, or if it was all just luck.

Thanks for telling - it will make it easier if someone else shows up and wonders what to do :)

I do have to report that I haven't been able to play much, modded or unmodded, because the game is still prone to crashes a fair amount.

If anyone can figure out a way to help solve that, I'd love to hear it.

I do have to report that I haven't been able to play much, modded or unmodded, because the game is still prone to crashes a fair amount.

If anyone can figure out a way to help solve that, I'd love to hear it.

EU1 crashes?! Never happened to me.

EU1 crashes?! Never happened to me.

A lot! Sometimes it crashed before the game loads, sometimes while the save file is loading, sometimes during the game itself. I might have to see if I have an older PC laying around somewhere and see if that helps. Sad, because I almost would have to say EU I is the most "natural" feeling of all Paradox games. The gameplay flows in a way that goes in a certain smooth way that is hard describe, it it isn't exactly present in the others.

A lot! Sometimes it crashed before the game loads, sometimes while the save file is loading, sometimes during the game itself. I might have to see if I have an older PC laying around somewhere and see if that helps. Sad, because I almost would have to say EU I is the most "natural" feeling of all Paradox games. The gameplay flows in a way that goes in a certain smooth way that is hard describe, it it isn't exactly present in the others.

Hmm odd...I run EU1 with laptop with win 7 home 64 bit and Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit

Cliges - what do you run it with?

And I agree about the fluidity. It was a much more streamlined experience. And the AI managed reasonably well too, since the game was so simple. More flash in the later games, though.

Right now, I'm running on Windows 7.

It does usually work ok WITHOUT IGN-but IGN almost guarantees a crash, and that's if it even loads at all when using the mod.

EU 1 can also be seen as more of a straight up war/conquest game compared to the later ones. I was messing around with Russia just for the fun of sheer land grabbing a couple days ago. You can focus on war, province upgrades and tech advances without having to worry so much about fine details like in the other EU games (which are good and all, but sometimes you want to focus on other aspects).

Also, why did they not keep the script on sea spaces in the sequel? That would have made more sense.

It's a testament to the game that we are still talking about it over a decade later, too!

You mean IGC? IGC shouldn't change anything in particular in the game - only the setup parts, which needs Java Virtual Machine (IIRC, and a very old and discontinued version at that). That one is very crashy if you don't have the JVM though.