• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, the straightforward option. But he is in love with her, and I'm roleplaying my characters.

This is why I like elective. To retain the "born in the purple" trait I'd routinely vote for brothers until my son had come of age. Then again it's easier to set this stuff up of you start as a vassal and work your way up. You should have a healthy supply of half-way decent dynasts before ever touching the imperial throne. In the meantime someone should faction for elective which you just join in. Elective also makes it really easy to inherit the Empire. But I digress.

You Emperor does have more important things to think about than love. The needs of the Empire must come first or will he risk destroying it for a woman? Besides she's getting old. I'm sure he'd rather have a lusty 16 year old.

Reactions:
Thanks for all the suggestions on succession laws. You'll soon see what I did with them.

And welcome to all the new followers! You'll be pleased to know I was doing some work on the converter just this morning.

Reactions:
13. Childless and Bereft
Konstantios XII pondered the succession in the Empire. Both his children had died, and his wife was past childbearing years. Some of his advisers recommended that for the good of the Empire, he should divorce his wife and marry a younger woman. A few suggested darker methods. But he was kind and honest, and in love with his wife. He refused all such options. Other advisers recommended changing the succession laws of the Empire. At the very least, they urged, bring the Egyptian succession laws in line with the Imperial ones. But Konstantinos had ruled neither Egypt nor the Empire long enough for any such reforms to be made. For now, he would have to wait and see what to do.

Konstantinos spent the intervening years fighting beside his allies in several wars. By the time these wars were finished, he had gained sufficient control of the Egyptian court. First, he held a grand tournament to celebrate his reign.

13-1.png

Tragically, his beloved wife died as the tournament began. His advisors worked swiftly to find a suitable bride.

Before the end of the tournament, Konstantinos has slipped into a deep depression, and neglected to make the political changes he had planned. He agreed to a marriage so that his advisors would leave him be, but he did not consumate it.

13-2.png

Instead, he avoided the court, warring against heretic neighbors.

13-3.png

But the fighting was not enough to distract his mind, and on 17 May 1177, he died of depression.

13-4.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
14. The Childless
This was Konstantinos XII of the Empire. He ascended to the throne in 1163.

14-1.png

His reign was known mostly for the attempted breakaway of the Kingdom of Egypt. He won that war handily.

14-2.png

He also fought a few minor wars in Croatia, reclaiming land from Catholics.

He died of depression in 1177 after the death of his beloved wife. He was succeeded by his half-brother Makarios I.

14-3.png

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The loss of Egypt would have been devastating. Good job retaining it.:)

Reactions:
So your wife just happened to die? Seems legit.

Too bad your Emperor seems to be a homosexual. Who goes to war over consumating a marriage with what I presume was the best 16 year old you could find?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Well, after your first (rapidly devastating) effort, this one is seems to be awesome already. :)

Reactions:
All caught up and ready to see what happens with Makarios! I sense internal squabbles of a fittingly Byzantine nature...

• 1Like
Reactions:
The loss of Egypt would have been devastating. Good job retaining it.:)

Yeah, I'm glad it's still in the Empire.

To lose Egypt by succession laws is bad enough, but to lose it to a Doukas, really takes the biscuit.

Unfortunately, it seems that the 'Born in the Purple' trait would make it very hard to hold on to no matter what. At least it's still in the Empire.

Glorious!

Thanks!

So your wife just happened to die? Seems legit.

Too bad your Emperor seems to be a homosexual. Who goes to war over consumating a marriage with what I presume was the best 16 year old you could find?

I had an event after she died, and the choices were lustful and incapable (all his time spent whoring instead of ruling), or depressed and chaste. That I started a war at the same time and that he died just months later (of depression) made for a thematic (if strange to most people) story.

Well, after your first (rapidly devastating) effort, this one is seems to be awesome already. :)

Indeed. There's still struggles keeping me from just blobbling endlessly, but I'm working towards my goals.

Can't wait to see the conclusion of this!

Patience, dear sir. This'll be a long one.

All caught up and ready to see what happens with Makarios! I sense internal squabbles of a fittingly Byzantine nature...

Your senses are correct in this case.

Reactions:
15. The Great Rebellion
This was Makarios I of the Empire. He took the throne on 17 May 1177.

15-1.png

Slothful, proud, cruel, prone to outburts of anger, and lacking the ability to steward his large demesne, he was not well-loved. He quickly distributed holding to his vassals, gave a baltic province to the King of Sweden [via edit], and ended Konstantinos XII's last war.

15-2.png

Before long, Komitas I of Pisa (previously King of Egypt, the same king that had sought independence from Konstantinos XII) declared that he should be Emperor. Makarios sent an angry reply to the contrary. Komitas I was again at war with the rest of the Empire. A great many vassals joined him.

15-3.png

Makarios raised the levies of the entire Empire. As they organized into armies, more and more vassals joined against him. Soon, most of the Empire was with the pretender to the throne.

15-4.png

15-5.png

15-6.png

15-7.png

15-8.png

15-9.png

15-10.png

15-11.png

The loyal forces eventually organized into three armies: the Grecian army, the Levantine army, and the Wallachian army. They sieged all nearby territories, seeking to weaken the opposition wherever they could.

The Greecian army found itself frequently beating back attempted sieges of Constantinople. Fortunately, the defenses had been greatly improved since the last time it was sieged, and this was an easy task.

15-12.png

However, a massive army soon marched in that direction. Markarios sent the greater part of the Grecian army (all that could fit on the available boats) on an attack towards the heart of the rebellion: Pisa.

The remaining imperial armies tried to retreat, but Were caught by the approaching armies and defeated.

15-13.png

The Grecian armies succeded in conquring the duke's lands, but his armies in turn conquered parts of Markarios' holdings. The greater part of the Grecian Army sailed back (they had gained some recruits, and would no longer all fit on the boats that had brought them over).

They swiftly reclaimed Markarios' lost holdings, and Komitas surrendured in 1179. The opposing rulers were all placed in Markarios' dungeon, and he considered what he would do with them.

15-14.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
And so the new Emperor barely hangs on to his throne... I wonder how many of the rebels will lose their eyes... or something more valuable...

Reactions:
I've bought some of the games under my avatar after reading great AARs for them...

Guess what? CKII will be my next PI buy, as this AAR perfectly shows the potential and immersion factor of this game.

Great work so far, keep it going!

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've bought some of the games under my avatar after reading great AARs for them...

Guess what? CKII will be my next PI buy, as this AAR perfectly shows the potential and immersion factor of this game.

Surprised that you have waited so long to play CKII! :eek:

• 1Like
Reactions:
Execute them. At least execute Komitias, he betrayed the Empire twice.

Reactions:
Surprised that you have waited so long to play CKII! :eek:
As a matter of fact, I'd have grabbed this one already a dozen times before (last was the GGate sale from a few days ago).

The only reason I never did it yet is a dramatic lack of spare time to play it properly... :(

Reactions:
And so the new Emperor barely hangs on to his throne... I wonder how many of the rebels will lose their eyes... or something more valuable...

Lot nearly enough of them, thanks to his negative piety.

Excellent! The original CK was my first PI game, for pretty much the same reason.

Execute them. At least execute Komitias, he betrayed the Empire twice.

Can't spare the relation hit from other vassals for most. At least not immediate executions. But a permanent stay in the dungeons is eventually fatal.

As for Komitas, separating him from his head would be gratifying, but shouldn't he lose something he may have use of. A second rebellion after the first failed and his power base removed? Definitely not using his head.

Reactions: