Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 12 - Dominium Maris Baltici

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems nice, I hope that Denmark is going to have a similar protestant event, Called "The count's Feud", if there there is only going to be two different decision buttons to push. They should be called 1, "Fear the black army of Rantzau" and 2, " Die Skipper Clement!! Die!!". I Hope that Sweden not is going to start with cores in Danish heartland. Because that is so dubious that just because the swedish bought/inheirited an non transferable agricultural pawnage, and occupied the area for a few years before getting thrown out again. That should not be enough for a country to have a core on a province. In that case Denmark Should start with cores on all scandinavian provinces.

Poland looks really strange, with the region around Bydgoszcz (northern part) not belonging to it - I know Torun was Teutonic at that time, but the whole region west of the Vistula and south of Gdansk (Danzig) wasn't. Anyhow, this looks interesting nonetheless - hope the dominium maris baltici is not limited to Sweden (afterall, Denmark, Muscovy/Russia and Poland/Poland-Lithuania also fought for influence around there).

Torun belonging to Teutonic Order was initially missed when our research betas helped improve the map. Someon pointed this out in the last dev diary so I have fixed the history file, but there hasn't been any time to adjust borders regarding this yet.

Sweden is probably a favorite of mine to play, and i love how paradox isnt afraid to show bias by bouncing sweden to #1 this game. The amount of poor provinces sweden had in EU3 made them very weak early on, but i thought it was in an unrealistic way(seemed accurate, but not in the way it really happend). These changes seem more appropriate i think.

Look forward very much to EUIV, and especially sweden.

Lenga leve Sverige!

Well, Sweden was dirt poor up until the industrial revolution. In Vicky 2 terms Sweden was playing catch up until they where able to be early adopters of the electricity and combustion engine techs:D

Sweden's rise was a combination of hyper competent rulers using Sweden's backwardness to make sweeping reforms relatively easy combined with disorganized and weak neighbors.

Well, Sweden was dirt poor up until the industrial revolution.

"Dirt poor" is somewhat of an exaggeration since we had virtually monopoly on copper (the only other major producer was Japan).

Sweden should win a majority of the games, but you'll have to wait to see the unique national ideas for Denmark and Norway... All 3 scandinavian countries are really different in playstyle, and the ideas really enhances their roles.

Will we see a Stockholm bloodbath event perchance?

"My king, the nobles of Sweden are becoming increasingly uppity. I say we invite them to a banquet and make them all a head shorter!"

[What a cunning plan, surely this will not backfire!]

[No, I don't think that's a good idea at all...]

:rofl:

"Dirt poor" is somewhat of an exaggeration since we had virtually monopoly on copper (the only other major producer was Japan).

Well, ok. And we were the leading exporter of cannons as well. No events for Walloon immigrants? The EU 2 event for that was hilariously overpowered if I remember correctly:D

Still, agriculturally dirt poor is still a fitting description I think, and isn't that what tax base mostly represent? Copper and cannon would be mostly production income? I also remember reading that the Baltic and German possessions during some periods contributed something silly like a third of the state revenue (albeit that would probably be money coming from the trade system), which is saying something about the "wealth" of the heartland.

I'm confused.

There was lots of talk about how Sweden was short of manpower, but then 2/7 of their national ideas give them extra manpower. I would have though that bonus manpower was a Russian national idea, and that if you wanted a country to be short of manpower you would avoid giving them any bonus MP through national ideas?

It is

OT
Looks quite nice :) The map looks great!

The problem with this is that all of Europe, especially northern Europe, looked quite different in these times. So if Holland get to keep their sea, which eventually got drained, Sweden should be significantly slimmer due to Post-glacial rebound. For instance, the city where I reside in now (Umeå) was rebuilt by the sea after the russians burnt it down early in the 1800s. Two hundred years later and a full metric mile separates this city and the sea, so they had to build a coastal town for our port. Same with Sundsvall and many other Swedish towns near the coast.

In a not so distant future, the gulf of Bothnia will become an inland sea.

Last edited:
As for DD - awesome.

As for map, please, let me redraw Balkan peninsula borders, it hurts, it hurts... (and same offer stands for Russia)

As for map, please, let me redraw Balkan peninsula borders, it hurts, it hurts... (and same offer stands for Russia)

Russia is being redone like many other regions, it's just not in this screenshot.

Solution: Turn the Balkans into a Wasteland, so people will stop complaining.

(Captain Gars is too nice!)

We want the Great Northern War