• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ATLCOM Operational Plannings 1 September 1943 - 1 November 1943
Until this classification is altered by the President of the United States or the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the contents of this briefing are classified Top Secret. Under the Espionage Act of 1917, the transmission of this briefing in any format to unauthorized parties constitutes an act of treason, and will be prosecuted accordingly.

Administrative Action 1: ATLCOM advises the president to reread it's administrative actions from 60 days before, and search for things it ordered, but the president hasn't done yet (hint: look for planes).
Administrative Action 2: ATLCOM airborne command-chain plannings dating 1 June 1943 are to be set into immediate effect, with the exceptions called in AA3&4&6.
Administrative Action 3: Detach 4th Fighter from Command-Chain.
Administrative Action 4: Detach 2nd Strategic from Command-Chain.
Administrative Action 5: Create 5th Corps consisting of the two armored divisions in Norfolk°°, attach 5th Corps to First Army after arrival.
Administrative Action 6: Transfer 100th Fighter (according to ATLCOM plannings 1 June 1943) to PACCOM, rebase to San Diego.
Administrative Action 7: After the liberation of Romania is completed, attach Secon Army to Army Group 'France'
Operational Action 1: Detach 8th 'Pathfinder' Division form 4th Corps, and move to Pontarlier, after arrival, reattach.
Operational Action 2: 2nd Strategic -> Logistical Bombing Bucuresti (Circular 116km*)
Operational Action 3: 4th Fighter -> Air Superiority Bucuresti (Circular 116km*)
Operational Action 4: Army Group 'France' -> Objectives: Hannover/Hamburg/Berlin -> Attacking Stance / Air Offensive / Naval Defensive
Operational Action 5: Fourth Army -> Objectives: Dresden/Berlin/Hannover -> Attacking Stance / Air Offensive / Naval Defensive
Operational Action 6: First Army -> Objectives: Danzig/Berlin -> Attacking Stance / Air Offensive / Naval Defensive
Operational Action 7: Redeploy 2nd USMC to Nantes.
Operational Action 8: TRG 'Liberty' ship 2nd USMC to San Diego°.
Operational Action 9: TRG 'Freedom' move to Norfolk and ship 5th Corps to Venezia°°.
Operational Action 10: All ATLCOM naval assets except submarines rebase immediately to their home port, and stay there until further orders.
--
* == Not nessecarily 116km, however all of Romania's remains should be covered.
° == 2nd USMC is transferred to PACCOM upon arrival.
°° == this involves one armored division already deployed, and one that gets ready during the period, simply wait till both of them are deployed in Norfolk create the HQ and ship.
--
ATLCOM expects the crossing of river Elbe falling in this period. According to the Liberation of France Bill, the conquest of Vichy France will have top priority in the 1 November 1943 - 1 January 1944 plannings of ATLCOM. Current drafts seek to invade Southern France with one mechanized or armored corps (4-5 divisions) and to assault French key cities in Northern Africa. ATLCOM believes that holding the key cities in Northern Africa and Southern France is enough to enforce peace on them (note, that Petain hasn't the support of the populace, while we do).
--
Lieutenant-General Joseph Warren Stilwell
Deputy Commander-in-Chief Atlantic Theater

((Take pity on me; what did I miss? :) Did I forget the last squadron at Liverpool?))

General Stilwell,

Thank you for your detail plans, as always. The President only insists on one change: LA is the current staging ground for Pacific Theater forces, not San Diego.

Admiral Leahy

EDIT:

All awards must formally be presented through Congress, which includes changing Pride of the Fleet. One more day to comment on Pacific plans, two more for Atlantic; unless there are serious objections, we'll be ready to roll Wednesday.

((Take pity on me; what did I miss? :) Did I forget the last squadron at Liverpool?))
((All the planes for the Armies of AG Italy remained there - AG Italy is AI controlled at army level, so the INT only sat lazy on the ground. Also, you forgot the guys at Norfolk, and a few in England))
--
Admiral Leahy,
This little incompetence, what harbor is the Pacific staging ground is probably related to me being never in the Pacific ((Personally I use San Diego - any apparent reason to use LA?)), and should be corrected asap.
[Fieldmarshall] Lieutenant-General Joseph Warren Stilwell

((All the planes for the Armies of AG Italy remained there - AG Italy is AI controlled at army level, so the INT only sat lazy on the ground. Also, you forgot the guys at Norfolk, and a few in England))
--
Admiral Leahy,
This little incompetence, what harbor is the Pacific staging ground is probably related to me being never in the Pacific ((Personally I use San Diego - any apparent reason to use LA?)), and should be corrected asap.
[Fieldmarshall] Lieutenant-General Joseph Warren Stilwell

((I just used LA without really thinking about it.))

EDIT: ((In the interest of full disclosure, I used ART to fix the OOB, which has the capacity to insta-teleport units so they can be in the right formations, which is what I did. Shouldn't affect gameplay too terribly much, apart from making my life easier.))

Last edited:
(We are doing well enough that while I was tinkering with a few things, the AI was able to invade mainland Japan and force it down to 40% surrender before stalling out in about 4 months)

(We are doing well enough that while I was tinkering with a few things, the AI was able to invade mainland Japan and force it down to 40% surrender before stalling out in about 4 months)

((Interesting stuff!))

Pacific plans are approved; Atlantic plans have one more day.

EDIT: Playing now, should update in a couple of hours.

Last edited:
Briefing: November 1, 1943

Ladies and gentlemen of Congress,

Hitler's regime is in shambles. Although the Wehrmacht continues to fight, and fight well, a sizable portion of Germany has already been occupied, and Allied forces are very close to Berlin. For much of this success, we have to thank General Stilwell and his aggressive assault on Germany.

Both Army Group 'France' and First Army received new orders shortly after our last session of Congress.

armygroupfrance943.jpg

usfirstarmy943.jpg

General Geiger also prepared to relocate the 2nd USMC to Nantes for extraction to Los Angeles, the staging area for further Pacific operations. On September 2nd, CTF 'Lexington' sunk the Japanese battlecruiser Kirishima, although the USS New Orleans was hit by a stray Japanese torpedo. Fortunately, casualties were minimal. Two days later, back in Europe, General Patton's Fourth Army finally received their new orders (the General was "in aggressive relocation" after a German raiding party ambushed him. Fortunately, General Patton remains unhurt.) to press hard on Berlin and the key German port of Danzig.

fourtharmy943.jpg

September 12 saw the US seize the Polish city of Krakow. Dozens of Polish citizens with tears in their eyes thanked our boys, many of whom share a common origin with Poland. General Patton went personally to the front to vow that the United States would not rest until all of Poland was liberated from tyranny. Although Generalissimo Stalin sent a couple of nasty telegrams to President Willkie, our President did nothing to publicly rebuke America's most beloved commander.

By September 17, all of Belgium had been, in effect, liberated.

germantheatermid943.jpg

Romania continued to be extremely difficult to deal with. General Hodges of Second Army was increasingly frustrated, and vowed to make serious operational changes to ensure his success.

romaniantheater943.jpg

On September 19, CTF 'Yorktown' sighted the Japanese battleship Mutsu, and over the next few days, dueled with the battleship and her destroyer screen. Her screen was completely destroyed, and serious damage inflicted upon Mutsu, but she escaped. A week later, the 1st USMC invaded the island of Yap, one of the last Japanese ports in the central Pacific.

invasionofyap.jpg

Near the end of September, General Hodges had gathered enough strength to strike at Bucharest again; they were repulsed a few hours later. The CO of Second Army finally shifted his approach in October, and some serious results were achieved as a result.

By October 2nd, most of the Netherlands had also been liberated by Army Group 'France'. General Stilwell elected to bypass the Dutch port of Amsterdam in hopes of driving on Berlin that much quicker.

germantheater1043.jpg

In Romania, Second Army was drawing up new plans to drive the Germans out of Romania once and for all.

romanian1043.jpg

A skirmish in the Pacific led to the sinking of a Japanese heavy cruiser, but an American destroyer division was lost. As we get closer and closer to the Home Islands, resistance gets more and more fierce. By October 4, Yap fell.

October 6 saw the new approach of General Hodges bear fruit. The capture of the Romanian province of Targoviste brought Allied forces closer to the Romanian right flank and began the encirclement of Bucharest. The next day, an American assault on Giurgiu began, followed by an attack on Bucharest itself. Both offensives were repulsed, but the Romanians now had no idea where the next American attack would come. The extra air power ordered in by General Stilwell seemed to be working.

By the middle of October, the biggest surprise was the ease with which American forces crossed the Rhine and into Germany. In fact, in less than three weeks, the Allies had crossed over the Elbe too.

germantheatermid1043.jpg

In Romania, the newest assault on Giurgiu was slowly whittling down Axis troops, and it was not hard to envision a complete encirclement of the Romanian capital.

thekeyprovinceromania10.jpg

Only in the Pacific was there bad news, as Japanese forces split Chinese-occupied Manchukuo in two.

asia1043.jpg

October 21st marked the triumph over Romanian forces in Giurgiu; Major General Barnes's personal courage was unmatched that day, personally leading a platoon of infantry who'd lost their officers earlier in the day. Only three Romanian provinces remained.

slowlyencirclingbuchare.jpg

October 25th saw an assault on Calarasi, the final province standing in the way of the complete encirclement of Bucharest. At the time of this briefing, the estimates are that 43% of Romanian troops in Calarasti have been killed, wounded, or captured.

By early this morning, scattered American squads approached the first line of defenses for Berlin.

germany1143.jpg

Romania will almost certainly fall by the end of 1943, cutting off a huge number of elite German divisions.

romania1143.jpg

The Japanese counterattack in China has been blunted as well, but I've already begun receiving requests for increased pressure on Japan. In any case, the Axis will not survive 1944; even the most pessimistic planning officer at the Pentagon is willing to allow that.

Technologies learned: Artillery Carriage and Sights 8, Special Forces 4, Infantry Warfare 6, Assault Concentration 6, Blitzkrieg 4, Small Arms 6, Submarine Crew Training 3, Small Navigation Radar 2, CAS Pilot Training 6,
Units built: 1 x Transport Plane, 1 x Armored Division (1 x ARM, 2 x MECH), 10th Rangers (3 x MTN, 1 x ENG) (deployed to Norfolk, VA)
Ships sunk: 1 x BC, 1 x CA, 4 x DD (Japanese)
Ships lost: 1 x CA, 1 x DD (by Japan)
Convoys sunk: 3/2 (Japanese)
Convoys lost: 2/1 (by Japan), 1/1 (by Germany)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technically, by the Liberation of Vichy France Act, we have to declare war on Vichy France now; however, I think we can get Berlin, maybe even knock Germany out of the war, in the next two months. Unless somebody votes to either entirely repeal the Act or modifies it with another Act, we will do exactly that at the beginning of the next update.

Given that, for Americans at least, Thursday is a holiday, I'm going to set Saturday at 10 PM (-6 GMT) as the deadline for new plans and/or bills.

((I enjoy the fact that one of the "older" CTF, built with older ship designs, was able to face down a BB SAG without losses. Shame about the DD and the New Orleans. First of her class, and first in our hearts. If we have any CL or CA coming off the line, they should be plugged into CTF Lexington, she has dangerously few support ships for a BB/CV taskgroup))

Technically, by the Liberation of Vichy France Act, we have to declare war on Vichy France now; however, I think we can get Berlin, maybe even knock Germany out of the war, in the next two months. Unless somebody votes to either entirely repeal the Act or modifies it with another Act, we will do exactly that at the beginning of the next update.
Mr. President,

I have to correct you in this matter:
Liberation of Vichy France Act doesn't state, when we have to declare war to Vichy France, it only states, that upon the crossing of the river Elbe ATLCOM should dispatch troops for the planned invasion, and under which conditions Vichy France should be attacked (wargoal).
Anyway, I'll provide the senate with detailed plans for the Atlantic Theater soon.

((I assume I'm still in charge in the Atlantic?))

Mr. President,

I have to correct you in this matter:
Liberation of Vichy France Act doesn't state, when we have to declare war to Vichy France, it only states, that upon the crossing of the river Elbe ATLCOM should dispatch troops for the planned invasion, and under which conditions Vichy France should be attacked (wargoal).
Anyway, I'll provide the senate with detailed plans for the Atlantic Theater soon.

((I assume I'm still in charge in the Atlantic?))

((If Tom isn't back by this weekend, you'll be promoted. You're definitely in charge for this update.))

General Stilwell,

The Supreme Court concurs with your interpretation.

President Willkie

((I feel like a real dolt for missing that, but you're absolutely right that we're not required to do anything.))

Operational Action 2: 2nd Strategic -> Logistical Bombing Bucuresti (Circular 116km*)
Mr. President,
The action stated above, would be more useful for Second Army than everything else we could do.
I issued the according orders to them on 1 September 1943. Now it is 1 November 1943 and I wondered why battles in Romania are so bloody. I called the airport in Beograd, and asked if the bombings were effective or 2nd Strategic needs reinforcement. General Chidlaw told me, that his bombers haven't even taken off, because the president personally forbid him bombing Romania.
According to this I blame you for the deaths of many of our boys, and for the fact, Romania is still fighting.

The liberation of Germany is near, but the bloody battles of Berlin and Bucharest still have to be fought. May our boys be fired up by the thought that it will be their very combat that will soon put an end to the Führer's terrible reign of terror.

Mr. President,
The action stated above, would be more useful for Second Army than everything else we could do.
I issued the according orders to them on 1 September 1943. Now it is 1 November 1943 and I wondered why battles in Romania are so bloody. I called the airport in Beograd, and asked if the bombings were effective or 2nd Strategic needs reinforcement. General Chidlaw told me, that his bombers haven't even taken off, because the president personally forbid him bombing Romania.
According to this I blame you for the deaths of many of our boys, and for the fact, Romania is still fighting.

This is a very serious accusation, and we will need to investigate this further to determine what happened. It is indeed true that you've urged the President multiple times to pass on these orders. Let's await the President's reply before discussing this further, though. A simple miscommunication might very well be the cause of all this.

This is a very serious accusation, and we will need to investigate this further to determine what happened. It is indeed true that you've urged the President multiple times to pass on these orders. Let's await the President's reply before discussing this further, though. A simple miscommunication might very well be the cause of all this.
((To be honest, the bombers sit in Beograd, with no order, while having full str/org. Also Romanians have still enough supplies. If they get log bombed, oos will kick for them just after ~1 month. And as you all know, troops oos have basically lost. I run a minimum of 40 test runs to develop my planes - in my 21 test runs using the final plan, Romanians surrendered 21 times - 19 times to us and 2 times to Stalin. And that's mostly, because they were oos the entire August at least.))

(( :blink: You run 40 test games?! By the way, I guess Avindian simply overlooked your plane order (again)))

That is one of the most dedicated people I have seen on this forum

Wow, we liberate Krakow, and all Stalin can do is insult one of our finest generals. We must keep a watch on the Read Bear after Hitler is finally down, boys. Our "friend" Generalissimo Stalin is off of his rocker day by day.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

Mr. President,

The liberation of Germany is near, but the bloody battles of Berlin and Bucharest still have to be fought. May our boys be fired up by the thought that it will be their very combat that will soon put an end to the Führer's terrible reign of terror.

((To be honest, the bombers sit in Beograd, with no order, while having full str/org. Also Romanians have still enough supplies. If they get log bombed, oos will kick for them just after ~1 month. And as you all know, troops oos have basically lost. I run a minimum of 40 test runs to develop my planes - in my 21 test runs using the final plan, Romanians surrendered 21 times - 19 times to us and 2 times to Stalin. And that's mostly, because they were oos the entire August at least.))

(( :blink: You run 40 test games?! By the way, I guess Avindian simply overlooked your plane order (again)))

That is one of the most dedicated people I have seen on this forum

I gave the order, I swear I did. I have no idea why the Strat Bombing didn't happen. I did get occasional warnings about "bombing friendly territory" or "occupying friendly territory." Very curious. Perhaps I should just order them to bomb specific provinces? I really am terrible with the air force in this game.

Wow, we liberate Krakow, and all Stalin can do is insult one of our finest generals. We must keep a watch on the Read Bear after Hitler is finally down, boys. Our "friend" Generalissimo Stalin is off of his rocker day by day.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

I assure, we are definitely watching him with great interest.

If any FTM owners would like a bigger part in the AAR, I'm officially opening up Chief of the Army and Chief of the Air Force to one (or two) individual(s) interested. This will mostly be necessary for the next update, but given dresdor's greatly involvement as Chief of the Navy, a Chief of the Army/Air Force could certainly have as much influence. Your basic duties would be assigning assets to theaters, budget stuff, broad strategic planning (although that hasn't really been prevalent in this AAR much), and whatever I'd assign. It'd be purely interim for now, but with an excellent chance of becoming permanent.

(pretty much click the bombers, click the province, select logistics bombing, click okay. Enemy doesnt have enough of an airforce to worry about.)

(pretty much click the bombers, click the province, select logistics bombing, click okay.

((Well, I think that given the amount of time Avindian has played HOI3, he knows this ;). The game probably went into retard mode because the 150-km radius included Soviet provinces. Since I once made an entire US fleet disappear when sending it into Vladivostok, I've lost all faith in US-SOV in-game relationships.))

((Contemplating getting TFH, but not sure if it would be a problem with loading saves from this AAR. Does anyone have TFH and can confirm that I'd still be able to play this as normal?))

(pretty much click the bombers, click the province, select logistics bombing, click okay. Enemy doesnt have enough of an airforce to worry about.)

((I will remind you that you specifically ordered me to do the circle thing. ;)))

((Well, I think that given the amount of time Avindian has played HOI3, he knows this ;). The game probably went into retard mode because the 150-km radius included Soviet provinces. Since I once made an entire US fleet disappear when sending it into Vladivostok, I've lost all faith in US-SOV in-game relationships.))

((Maybe they defected?))

((Contemplating getting TFH, but not sure if it would be a problem with loading saves from this AAR. Does anyone have TFH and can confirm that I'd still be able to play this as normal?))

((Given that your erstwhile authAAR intends to get TFH shortly, you'll be fine. You'd just load the FTM exe.))

EDIT: ((I can confirm that, as long as you remember to load FTM -- they give you a separate .exe -- everything loads and works great.))

Last edited: