• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm a bit curious, and really I'm not sure if I've or someone else asked this before. But is there an equivalent to OTL's 'Eurovision Contest' and other Cultural contests the EU has put together in TTL?
Probably. I don't really watch television and I am not European so I've never seen Eurovision.

Oh those crazy Balkan states :D
Endless fun.

Maps of maps

Hahaha, what would that look like? :)

Also, to be honest, I'm sort of missing Dovyat and company. The modern world updates are really fun but putting the death of the King in a prologue was sort of unsatisfying personally.

Hahaha, what would that look like? :)

Also, to be honest, I'm sort of missing Dovyat and company. The modern world updates are really fun but putting the death of the King in a prologue was sort of unsatisfying personally.
That's because we return to them come December.

Cultural maps, religious maps, geopolitical maps, (alt)historic maps from this world's global wars etc.
It's your duty :angry:

(I'm joking :p )
I'll see what I can conjure up. My novel is first priority for the month. ;)

Also, thank you everyone for the third-place finish in the ACAs. It really means a lot to me.

A Bar's a Bar, right?

Bastions
Mini-Update

Cultures are not just made up of individuals but rather through the interactions of a great number of people. For the Prussians (both in Prussia and her many children) the great place for people to interact is the multitude of bars, inns, taverns and pubs that dot their cities and along their great roads. They exist by a great number of names in the Prussian language: pub, bár, kro, inn, málhós, táfærn, or medhós. But regardless of the name, a pub is a place where anyone can warm up with a hot bowl of soup and a large tankard of mead or ale. The system that most public houses sprang from was the system of way-points set up by the King Sviendorog along his massive road system. These were usually described as "public houses" or "public garrisons" and were meant to shelter merchants, civilians and soldiers during their travels across the country. One could always assume that they could get a warm meal and a pint when they stepped through the door into a dimly lit wooden structure. Originally there were very few choices, a traveler could get a bowl of soup or for a few angits more a cut of meat and a pint of whatever mead the house had on tap. When their meal was done they could rent a space to sleep for the night and then continue their journey anew the next day. Today pubs are more famous as places to enjoy time with friends, catch a footie game, or just shoot the breeze with the bartender. In Texas, Mexico, Yucatan and Cuba it was at public houses that their wars for independence where plotted and in Jamaica it is where their second declaration of independence was signed.

Prussosphere-small.png

The so-called "Prussosphere"

Most pubs contain a picture of King Sviendorog, even in the former colonies. This tradition went under ground during the Communist Era, but has since returned to life in Prussia, Silesia, Zilina and Carpathia. For a long time it was also a tradition in places that had close ties to Prussia: Hungary and Azowia especially. This picture is usually near the entrance of the pub and it is generally considered rude to wear your hat beyond that point (one should always remove a hat when in the presence of a King). Some, especially those going for an old-time feel, will generally have the traveler's lament hanging somewhere in the building:

Prámlájo in sá ilgs, Tu cánnás piedot in taws Hom aizmirzæt in. Záudæn ámang iena hámkuð Cotæs wuldás Tu atgrienæt uz kur Tu neðájo prom járnæt; atcertás Hom ist kur Tu wuldás He sieæt.

Having traveled for so long you can be forgiven for forgetting your home. Lost amongst once familiar houses you'll yearn to return to where you ventured off; remembering home is where you want it to be.

This small lament can be traced to the earliest days of the Duchy of Prussia. Most sources cite either Duke Æþelweard or Marshal Æþelstan as the author, a few others Earl Morcær, but the true author will probably forever remain a mystery. It is assumed to refer to the settling of the Saxons on the shores of the Baltic, but eventually came to reflect the many Prussians who moved around to seek better fortunes and lives, often stopping at inns and taverns during their journies.

Prussians drink mostly beer and mead. Prussia is the number one producer, exporter and consumer of mead per capita (Germany hold the producer/exporter title for beer and the United Kingdom largest consumer of beer per capita). Mead is more closely related to wine or cider than beer, given it is not created from malts but rather the fermentation of watered-down honey (called must). Most Prussian meads are spiced and carbonated to balance out the natural sweetness of honey. The most famous alcohol export of Prussia, though, is Ʒjidrónássun, a brákæð (Eng: bracket). A Bracket is a mix of beer and mead, though never just a random mix. Often the malts and honey ferment together, letting flavors blend. Zydrunassun (as it is marketed in English) is a blend of a hearty stout and a frothy dry mead. They produce seasonal varieties with spices/fruits but their flag ship product is a closely guarded secret and the pride of Prussians across the world. Any place attempting to call themselves a "Prussian Pub" has to have at least one tap of Zydrunassun on site if not two.

The love for alcohol (and mead especially) is a product of Prussia's combined Saxon and Balto-Slavic roots. Though it is important to note that mead especially was not fondly accepted by the Catholic Church, though Prussia's Orthodox church was not only far more accepting but was also known for being one of the biggest brewers. It is also generally accepted that beers and meads at this time (albeit with far lower alcohol concentrations that today's) were far safer to drink given that they were boiled. It was not until the 1700s that the alcohol volume seriously began to creep up and when safer systems for transporting and sanitizing water came about, beer and mead were finally free to explore new realms of flavor and alcohol levels.

Last edited:
Where would the world be if people didn't get plastered every once and a while. :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised I even remembered those inns. When were they last mentioned anyways? Last AAR?

PS: Jamaica's second declaration of independence?

Where would the world be if people didn't get plastered every once and a while. :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised I even remembered those inns. When were they last mentioned anyways? Last AAR?

PS: Jamaica's second declaration of independence?
I mention them from time, but I don't know the last instance.

Poor Jamaica had to fight two revolutions. When the colonies like Mexico were clearly going to win, Prussia withdrew to Jamaica so they could at least hold onto something.

Speaking of lots of maps~ -nudgenudgewinkwink-

Sigh... ;)

Bastions
Map Update - The Prussian Colonies

Colonies.png

The Former Prussian Colonies. Bigger version available at bottom of page.

California
Independence: 1779 from Prussia, recognized in 1784
Current Constitution: 1997, previous 1783

Texas
Independence: 1780 from Prussia, recognized in 1784
Current Constitution: 1799, previous 1781

Mexico
Independence: 1780 from Prussia, recognized in 1785
Current Constitution: 1881, previous 1783 (as United States of New Prussia)
Note: Mexico declared its independence as one nation, divided into Mexico and New Prussia in the 1800s, then Mexico, New Prussia and Yucatan briefly united until Yucatan left the Union.

Yucatan
Independence: 1781 (from Prussia), recognized 1785; 1880 (from the United States of New Prussia and Mexico)
Current Constitution: 1882, previous 1794

Cuba
Independence: 1779 (first time) from Prussia, 1782 (second time) from Prussia, recognized 1795
Current Constitution: 1785

Jamaica
Independence: 1781 (first time) from Prussia; 1836 (second time) from Prussia, recognized 1840
Current Constitution: 1779

Antilles
Independence: 1914 (briefly) from Prussia, recognized by Texas, Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico, Yucatan, and California; 1920 (official) from German Empire, recognized at large; 1934 (claimed), recognized by Texas and Mexico
Current Constitution: 1987, previous 1934
Note: the Antilles were officially seceded to the German Empire following World World One despite having declared their independence two years previous. From 1920 to 1934 ruled by the German General Staff of the Antilles.

Haiti
Independence: 1779 (first time) from Prussia; 1837 (second time) from Prussia, recognized 1840
Current Constitution: 1997, previous 1783

Colonies.png
Click thumbnail to enbiggen.

How stable are the new world Prussian Countries? I know that California is basically South Africa (But with Native Americans) but what of the others?