• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ikarases

Field Marshal
17 Badges
Jul 2, 2012
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 Deluxe Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
Suomen sotilaat, valmistautukaa taisteluun!​

author: Ikarases
start date: 25/09/2012
nation: Finland, 1936
version: FTM 3.05/HPP as on 5th August
difficulty: normal
aim: retake our cores in the USSR and join Allies
style: game-play
restrictions: trying to reload as less as possible
link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...sh-soldiers-prepare-for-battle.-A-Finnish-AAR

Panzerfaust-fin%23

Some Finnish soldiers with Panzerfaust and mounted MG

After my unfinished Mexican AAR, I decided to start a new one, possibly drawing me directly to the WWII... The way I take should be following: Retake my cores in the USSR and then join the Allies...

I´m thinking of researching some Air techs too; in the end Finns have Aeronautic Engineering on 3 and Single Engine Aircraft Practical = 4 (at least I can use advice from forum pretty well)...

Too much spoiling, I need to stop it! :)

Questions? Enjoy! :)

P.S. I´m not from Finland, maybe the Google Translator failed, so I beg you for advise, native speakers, if I have the headline OK ;)

Last edited:
Joining Allies? What if you gain your cores back only when Germany starts Barbarossa?

Joining Allies? What if you gain your cores back only when Germany starts Barbarossa?

Maybe I´ll surprise and grab them in Winter War, before Soviets even realize what happened! :)

Allies are certainly the hardest option, my presence in German-SU war could decide who´d win, and I don´t find that very interesting... ;)

Why did u drop the Mexican AAR?

Update coming out within 2 hours! :)

Chapter I: Introduction​

I need to set up a lot of things before I´ll even start the game...

I´m aligning myself towards Allies; I think it´s the hardest faction to play as Finland (SU is close by and Sweden and Norway can be annexed right away by Germans) and my government is democratic, also this will speed up the process a bit... I guess it was the most plausible option, which Finland would take (at least in these pre-war years)...

clipboard01vjb.jpg

My starting OOB is a mess; a lot of broken connections... Triangle divisions (even one quintuple), this needs an intervention right now... I´ll do it like in those TV advertisements! :)

Before:

clipboard02px.jpg

After:

clipboard03jo.jpg

Even then, it´s just a temporary solution; I need to create square divisions and put my 2 ENG brigades onto Mannerheim line, this is the place where they´ll serve the best (+100% Fort Defense for my whole division)! :)

After that, HPP mod introduces one (some would say nasty) feature, which gives penalty to all resources produces in that area, if you have <5 Infrastructure here... I´m lucky; I´ve only one such province; far in the Lapland, named Kolosjoki, which produces some Rares, which I lack a bit...

clipboard04wg.jpg

I´m going to focus not only on INF techs and doctrines, but also on Light Aircraft, because I´ve 4 LA practical and 3 Aeronautical Engineering, which will serve me better than navy against SU (note that I´m NOT researching Twin Engine Aircraft anymore; it would be too expensive for my Leadership capability)...

clipboard05p.jpg

Done with almost all stuff, I´m going to show you how my Politics are looking like... Ruling party isn´t that popular, but democratic parties have altogether pretty strong representation in Finland, so I won´t have problems with non-democratic parties before 1939 elections...

clipboard06d.jpg

I´m concluding an end of this Introduction chapter; the next one will be probably from the start of the game to Winter War, so it might be a little bit longer... Stay tuned! ;)

P.S. Note that those pictures are bigger due to change of my monitor, allowing you to watch them full HD! :D

This looks promising.... I hope you'll finish it, though.

Snatching your cores in the Winter War is possible, and 9/10 times it's even plain easy. The problem I experienced in my Finland game, though, was making the Ruski's accept a peace. Asked them thousands of times over the course of two months, and finally, when the front became one big stalemate, I edited the save. Of course, I wish you more luck with this... :)

If you're lucky you might be able to join the allies before the winter war starts, which would mean that the USSR might not attack you :)

This looks promising.... I hope you'll finish it, though.

Snatching your cores in the Winter War is possible, and 9/10 times it's even plain easy. The problem I experienced in my Finland game, though, was making the Ruski's accept a peace. Asked them thousands of times over the course of two months, and finally, when the front became one big stalemate, I edited the save. Of course, I wish you more luck with this... :)

Heh, back in original game I DW´d them when Barbarossa launched, so borders were almost undefended, and they accepted peace before they even knew they´re at war! :D

If you're lucky you might be able to join the allies before the winter war starts, which would mean that the USSR might not attack you :)

Idk, I don´t want to start the Allies/Commintern war too soon; not sure about those triggers, also I have 100 Neutrality on the start, which can be only significantly dropped by some war... Ultimately, I think I´m pretty much counting on that Winter War will start! :)

Do you plan annexation of one (or more) of your neighbours ? Sweden looks like an ideal candidate and can be easily defended, so does Denmark (that is if you have modded your HPP so can do such things).

Do you plan annexation of one (or more) of your neighbours ? Sweden looks like an ideal candidate and can be easily defended, so does Denmark (that is if you have modded your HPP so can do such things).

Currently I´m not raising threat on anybody; if I invade Sweden prior joining Allies; guess what, they´ll join Allies! :)

P.S. I´m not from Finland, maybe the Google Translator failed, so I beg you for advise, native speakers, if I have the headline OK ;)

It depends on what you are trying to say :)

The way it is now is grammatically correct, but means "some Finnish soldiers, ready to fight". I was kind of expecting some nice picture of battle ready soldiers to appear.

edit: sorry, didn't notice you had in in English also. I would translate it:

Suomen sotilaat, valmistautukaa taisteluun!

It depends on what you are trying to say :)

The way it is now is grammatically correct, but means "some Finnish soldiers, ready to fight". I was kind of expecting some nice picture of battle ready soldiers to appear.

edit: sorry, didn't notice you had in in English also. I would translate it:

Suomen sotilaat, valmistautukaa taisteluun!

Hmm, I could add some nice pictures every chapter, good idea! :) And thanks for the translation; I´m just trying to look cooler/more important :eek:o

Are you Finnished with your next update yet?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself! :D

LOL, you little troll! :D

I couldn't finnish laughing after I read that pun ;)
But in all seriousness - we need updates, Ikrases!

Nah, it´s going to get quite interesting even before starting the Winter War... Well, during the week I´ve minimum time to play HoI, luckily that new computer shows up soon enough, but also sending my student progress at home to hell (I don´t teach myself home anyways :p)...

Next update could be out on weekend, no promisses though :)

Btw. My nick is cool, created it once when playing UT 2004 like 5 years ago, edit that abomination! :D