• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How about not getting some random duke with a claim on his county annexing him before he goes anywhere? *Shrug*

Good update, and a bit of a slow start for the mighty Hohenzollerns. (Which I actually liked!)

Thanks for the kind words! Slow is a bit of an understatement, I'm afraid, and it won't speed up appreciably any time soon. Still, who wants to read an AAR where you succeed all the time?

Since I've never played CK2 I have no idea what is going on - But the story is good! Keep it coming.. :)

Why wouldn't a Christian find the death of a bunch of Norse gods pleasing?
Isn't Ragnarok a pagan concept to start with (but ended up being the Scandinavian standard for Christian Judgement Day)?

Wait... So since you're the Hohenzollerns, will you attempt to conquer Prussia? I think it would be kind of hilarious.

Indeed, exactly that is his plan :) I hope it happens.

Since I've never played CK2 I have no idea what is going on - But the story is good! Keep it coming.. :)

Glad to have you along! :)

Isn't Ragnarok a pagan concept to start with (but ended up being the Scandinavian standard for Christian Judgement Day)?

I thought it was purely Norse. I could be mistaken. In any case, I'm not changing the name of his horse. :p

Wait... So since you're the Hohenzollerns, will you attempt to conquer Prussia? I think it would be kind of hilarious.

Indeed, exactly that is his plan :) I hope it happens.

That is the idea, if I am successful.

Well, Avindian, after recieving my first post on the HOI3 forum, I'd be glad to delight you with my first post on the CK2 forum. Some special thanks to robw963 are appropriate, though, as he kindly forced me to look at some AARs outside HOI too. I'm glad he did, I wouldn't want to notice this only when it had already progressed to HOI with you being the... well... Hohenzollern Reich? Conquering Prussia would be a good first step, though.

You're writing a good story, but to sympathise with Rendap - As a non-CK player, some things are awfully unclear to me. It seems you are a vassal state of the HRE (much like a puppet) and a vassal of Munchen? And on top of that there seems to be some rebellion going on... Well, it will probably get clearer for me at some point ;)

in CK there's a chain of vassalage. In this case, the HRE is the liege of Munchen, who in turn is Friedrich's liege. Friedrich in turn is also the liege of that bishop Hartwig (I believe). Also, being a vassal is not really being a puppet in the HoI sense. Being a vassal means that your liege can call up your levies, can employ you on his council, and being considered a part of his realm, so Friedrich's county is a part of the HRE despite not being owned directly by the Emperor.

in CK there's a chain of vassalage. In this case, the HRE is the liege of Munchen, who in turn is Friedrich's liege. Friedrich in turn is also the liege of that bishop Hartwig (I believe). Also, being a vassal is not really being a puppet in the HoI sense. Being a vassal means that your liege can call up your levies, can employ you on his council, and being considered a part of his realm, so Friedrich's county is a part of the HRE despite not being owned directly by the Emperor.

This actually makes sense - It's essentially the feudal system. Thanks for clearing that one up, dovahkiing :)

Well, Avindian, after recieving my first post on the HOI3 forum, I'd be glad to delight you with my first post on the CK2 forum. Some special thanks to robw963 are appropriate, though, as he kindly forced me to look at some AARs outside HOI too. I'm glad he did, I wouldn't want to notice this only when it had already progressed to HOI with you being the... well... Hohenzollern Reich? Conquering Prussia would be a good first step, though.

You're writing a good story, but to sympathise with Rendap - As a non-CK player, some things are awfully unclear to me. It seems you are a vassal state of the HRE (much like a puppet) and a vassal of Munchen? And on top of that there seems to be some rebellion going on... Well, it will probably get clearer for me at some point ;)

This actually makes sense - It's essentially the feudal system. Thanks for clearing that one up, dovahkiing :)

Dovahkiing handled this one nicely (and his AARs are great, check them out!), but if you guys do have questions about CKII, I'd be happy to (try to) answer them.

Dovahkiing handled this one nicely (and his AARs are great, check them out!),
Thanks for the compliment and vote in the AARland Choice Awards (pimp pimp)!
Looking forward to more Hohenzollern domination (and horses named after Norse myths!)

Thanks for the compliment and vote in the AARland Choice Awards (pimp pimp)!
Looking forward to more Hohenzollern domination (and horses named after Norse myths!)

Glad I could help :)

Chapter 2: Making new friends and losing old ones

13 September 1195, Nürnberg Castle

Friedrich von Hohenzollern sat in his study, frowning as he considered the state of the war since his recall to Bayern. I do not think the Kaiser will hold much of Italy. At least the German speakers remain loyal to the throne; but for how long? The Graf had discussed this same situation with the Kaiser the last time he met Heinrich VI, but the Kaiser assured his loyal vassal that all would be well. He picked up a quill to scratch out some notes on recommended deployments when a page entered, announcing "Ludwig II, Herzog von Bayern." Puzzled, Friedrich rolled up his map and waited the entry of his liege lord.

"Good afternoon, Your Grace. What brings you to Nürnberg."

Ludwig scratched his beard absentmindedly. "Friedrich, I have to ask you something."

"Certainly, my liege."

"Are we going to have a problem?"

Friedrich blinked a few times. "I'm sorry, sir?"

Ludwig paced around the room. "Friedrich, I know you were less than pleased when I demanded you swear fealty to me."

Friedrich chose his words carefully. "Your Grace, you defeated me in battle. My pleasure or lack thereof is immaterial."

"True, true. Yet, I don't feel that's enough. I especially am not fond of your going to the Kaiser behind my back."

"I am a knight, my liege, and must lead my troops into battle. That means regular conferences with the Kaiser."

Ludwig studied his newest vassal's face, looking for signs of disloyalty. "You're... serious? You do not plot against me?"

"You are my liege lord, Your Grace. What virtue can a soldier respect if not the chain of command?"

Ludwig took that information in stride. "Then I think you and I are fine, Graf von Nürnberg. In fact, I am going to name you my Cupbearer. It is purely honorary, of course -- who would risk your military mind drinking poisoned ale? -- but I want you to know that I have complete faith in you."

Friedrich smiled. "I am pleased you brought me this news in person, Your Grace. It was unnecessary, but a most appreciated gesture. You may be completely certain of my loyalty; as long as blood flows through my veins, I will defend you and yours to the best of my ability."

Ludwig bowed in recognition of his vassal's praise and departed. One he was certain the Herzog had gone, Friedrich's smile got much nastier and wider. "Of course, my wife's loyalty? That's a different story."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
18 September 1195, Castle Nürnberg

Young Fritz ran screaming through the castle. His face was covered in sweat, and he trembled like a leaf when he finally found his dear Papa.

"Papa, Papa! There's a monster in my room!"

Friedrich sighed. "Fritz, you are going to be Graf someday. Part of that means not believing in such foolish nonsense as monsters in your room."

"B-but P-p-papa!"

Friedrich picked up his sword. "If there is a monster, I shall slay it, young Fritz. If there is not, you and I will have some very serious discussions later. Weakness cannot be tolerated." Fritz meekly nodded and father and son set off to find the hideous beast.

Friedrich looked about his son's room with a mixture of disappointment and amusement. "I see no ferocious monsters, my son."

Fritz shrieked in horror, "IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!!"

Friedrich turned about, his soldier's instincts taking over as he withdrew his sword, but no foe appeared. "I really do not see --"

"DOWN! LOOK DOWN!"

Friedrich dropped his head and noticed the life threatening creature that had so terrified his youngest son.

A spider.

He squished it flat and turned to his now indecently relieved son. "That is a spider."

"Y-yes, sir."

"Who is larger, you or the spider?"

"M-me. I g-guess."

"Who, therefore, should be frightened?"

"The s-spider."

Friedrich picked up his son and placed him on his knee. "Do you know how I became Graf von Nürnberg and earned our family this wonderful castle?"

"By slaying the enemies of the Kaiser."

Friedrich smiled gently. "Yes. Do you think I was scared?"

Fritz puffed up his little chest. "Of course not! My Papa isn't afraid of anything."

"It's time I tell you a secret then. Do you promise not to tell?" Fritz nodded emphatically, his eyes wide. "I'm scared every time I go into battle."

Fritz was dumbfounded. "You were scared?"

Friedrich nodded. "Any man who faces mortal peril without fear is either a lunatic or a fool. Bravery is not the absence of fear. Bravery is understanding your fear and doing what must be done anyway. It is not being paralyzed by fear, no matter how formidable the foe."

"I-I think I understand, Papa."

"Good! Now go and play."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 November 1195, München, Bayern

Friedrich stood impatiently as the Herzog's steward brushed off his boots. "Man, do you know why I am here?"

The steward shook his head solemnly. "I've no idea, my Lord."

"Very well. Be quick about your business." The steward nodded and redoubled his pace. After a few more moments, the steward nodded to the court herald, who announced "Friedrich von Hohenzollern, Graf von Nürnberg and Baron von Zollern."

He found Ludwig II sitting in a large arm chair, drinking a glass of wine in front of the fire. A book sat next to him. "Ah! Friedrich! I am so glad you are here."

Friedrich saluted. "Herzog Ludwig, I await your commands."

Ludwig chuckled. "So military all the time; I can see why the Kaiser is so fond of you. It is on that very subject that I wish to speak to you." Friedrich said nothing, as he felt no response was required. "Friedrich, I am naming you Marshal von Bayern."

Friedrich paused for a moment, to make sure he heard the Herzog correctly. "Marshal, sir?"

"Yes. It is time I confessed something to you."

"Confession is good for the soul, sir, but properly the place of a priest."

"True, but this confession is regarding you. You see, when I went to war to acquire Nürnberg, it was not to add another Country to my realm.

It was for you."

"Me, sir?"

Ludwig II nodded. "Friedrich, it may surprise you to know that I have enemies. I am an Elector of the Holy Roman Empire, as you know, and I am loyal to the Kaiser and the von Hohenstaufens. Others do not share my loyalty, but seek the Kaiser's throne for themselves. [1] Even if everything were perfect here in Bayern, I know you are aware of the Crusade to reclaim Jerusalem; if we are to participate, I need a strong leader."

Friedrich blinked away a tear of surprise and gratitude. "Fighting your enemies is, of course, the duty of every vassal, but fighting God's enemies would be the greatest honor you could possibly bestow upon me. I accept."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
23 November 1195, Castle Nürnberg

With her husband out fighting more rebels, Sophie von Hohenzollern found herself bored. One of the reasons she'd agreed to marry the frightful boor Friedrich was because his military skill promised new lands for her sons to rule. Instead of conquering new realms, Friedrich was fighting the Kaiser's wars, which irritated her. For Sophie, loyalty was only useful in subordinates.

That was when she decided to acquire more lands for her and her sons herself. She and Burchard von Hohenzollern, Friedrich's cousin and spymaster, developed a plan. [2]

Dietpold Rapotonen was Sophie's cousin, but more importantly a friend of Friedrich's. Friedrich's beloved Ragnarok was a gift from Dietpold upon Friedrich's marriage to Sophie. The Rapotonens, apart from being excellent horse masters, were distantly related to some prominent Norse families, which accounted for the horse's unusual name. [3] She knew her husband would not approve of her plans, but she stood to inherit the County of Passau if something happened to the current Graf von Passau, Berthold.

The plan was both elegant and simple. One of Burchard's spies discovered that Hermann von Jülich, the Spymaster of Passau, had incurred some rather unfortunate gambling debts. In exchange for a mere 20 pieces of gold (well within Sophie's allowance), he agreed to help dispose of Dietpold quickly and quietly.

It was essential to Sophie that her cousin's elimination be kept secret not just from Graf von Passau, but from her husband. Hermann promised his discretion and skill, but that didn't stop Sophie from enlisting the aid of Hermann's brother Wilhelm, just in case.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7 January 1196, Castle Hohenburg

Almerich von Hohenburg quietly sulked in his castle. He was still furious at Folkhard for engineering his loss of the post of Marshal. He'd contributed troops to the Graf's wars as best he could, but he feared that Friedrich von Hohenzollern would never forgive his Baron. When his herald announced Friedrich's arrival unexpectedly, he feared for his life.

"Graf Friedrich, an unexpected pleasure!"

Friedrich smiled. "Fear not, Almerich. I come bearing gifts."

Almerich was stunned, to say the least. "Are you sure, my Lord?"

Friedrich nodded. "Quite sure. I know very well that you didn't cheat with my wife, Almerich. At least, I do now."

"I... don't know what to say."

Friedrich unbuckled his sword and sat down unceremoniously on the nearest chair. Almerich couldn't help but notice the sign of trust that Friedrich had showed him. "Almerich, the only reason you aren't Marshal again is that Folkhard is damnably good at the business. You are one of my oldest friends. You voted to lift your exemption from taxes without my prompting."

"You are my liege, Graf Friedrich. It is my responsibility to contribute to your defense."

"Indeed it is. That is why I am rewarding you."

Almerich smiled for the first time in what seemed like months. "Thank you, my lord! I shall repay your kindness a thousandfold."

"I'm certain you will, Baron von Hohenburg."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3 December 1196, Wien, Österreich

For the first time in his life, Friedrich von Hohenzollern wept openly. His dearest friend, Heinrich VI, was dead.

It was bad enough losing Dietpold; a glass or two of bad wine could happen to anyone, but to lose the Kaiser and his wife's cousin in such short succession was very troubling.

Friedrich had, as a precaution, replaced his entire household guard after Dietpold's death. In order to help with the investigation, Friedrich ordered Burchard to use his contacts in Passau to find out who had committed such a heinous crime.

Everything seemed to be falling apart. Fritz had taken to ordering the servants around and beating his younger brother Konrad, shouting "I'm the next Graf, you urchins!" as he did it. A few choice words and some sermons from the Nürnberg priest seemed to settle his son down, but Friedrich quietly worried that that might not last.

Like most elderly men, Friedrich worried about his legacy. His boys were strong and healthy, but neither seemed to show the determination necessary to become a soldier. Friedrich firmly believed that the only true way for a man to prove his glory was on the battlefield. He also dreamed of expanding his realm, if the opportunity presented itself. He had his Chancellor doing research in Meissen, looking for a pretext to seize Meissen and a Duke's title. Such ambitions did not seem appropriate today of all days.

Friedrich got down on his hands and knees and prayed for the Kaiser's soul. It was all in God's hands now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Technically, Bavaria is not an electorate until after the Thirty Years' War IRL, but CKII makes no such distinction and gives all Dukes the right to vote for the Emperor.
[2] My new ambition; the old one was to become Marshal, if you recall.
[3] Happy, CivandEUIII? :D

This is a good time, I think, to announce the first contest (thanks again for the preemptive approval, Mr. C! :)). The winner will get to name the next child born once I start playing again.

The question: Why is Friedrich's plan to acquire the Duchy of Meissen doomed to fail?

Last edited:
...I'm going to guess that the Duke of Meissen is now Emperor.

Because you need another title of count in the "de Jure" duchy for claiming it?. :huh:

Last edited:
Because his Chancellor has abysmal skills?

Because Meissen is allied with Bavaria or/and the Emperor?

Ah - A question about CK2.... I don't think I have any chance at all to answer it correctly, so I'll just go ahead and compliment you on another fantastic update.

These intrigues and assassinations might make Friedrich a sad man, but the result seems to be quite favorable - His realm is expanding as it is, and being a Marshal and Cupholder under your liege makes him (you) an important figure. Even if he won't capture Messien now, he most certainly will in the future.