• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ears up folks, it's time for another Legacy of Rome and patch 1.07 dev diary! This time, I'll reveal what we've done to rebalance combat. All these things are actually in patch 1.07, so you'll get them whether you buy the DLC or not.

To give you some background, we were never entirely happy with the combat system in the game; the outcome was too dependent on numerical advantage and there was little you could do to affect it beside throwing more troops into the fray. Part of the problem was simply the lack of proper random elements. This was fixed in patch 1.06 with more varied, decisive and longer lasting combat tactics. Another issue was that the composition of the Holding levies was largely beyond your control; all you could do was try to focus on Cavalry buildings in your own Holdings if you wanted to try having more Cavalry on the flanks in battle. We have addressed this in part with more specific unit type buildings and cultural versions of buildings. The major fix though, is the Retinue system in Legacy of Rome. Lastly, we realized that the most important tactical consideration for players, and something they can influence, is the choice of commander and the effect he has on the battle. In patch 1.06, we added a new type of trait called "Leadership Traits", and now we're adding even more of them:

• Flat Terrain Expert
  • Rough Terrain Expert
  • Mountain Expert
  • Desert Expert
  • Holy Warrior
  • Unyielding

LoR_03_Holy_Warrior.jpg

The choice of flank leader for the right role is now an important tactical choice with a real effect on the outcome of the battle.

We've also tweaked the combat tactics and unit types a bit more, and made sure that pure archer flanks are not imbalanced, knights are slightly less overpowered, etc. Oh, and all cultures now have a cultural building, but some cultures have the same as others.

Lastly, though not exactly related, I should probably mention that the military AI has been improved a lot, to focus on what's important and avoid attrition.

Hmm, that was a bit short, but it's all I have for you today. Next time: Orthodoxy.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what sucks? When you get both the aggressive and defender leadership traits. -10% all around. Can you guys change that, please?

Also, I can't wait for next week, Orthodoxy! That's probably what I'm most excited about.

How good will the AI be at choosing leaders based on their traits? Not too good, I hope. Because my typical war involves about 7-8 12k+ stacks, which means 20+ commanders. If I have to go through character portraits and their stats to choose the right dude for the situation, 20+ times... and then do it again every time one dies, which happens a lot... just for my armies to be effective - I'll probably shoot myself in the head.

This sounds like a great idea for realms of 10 counties and under, but it could be a nightmare if your nation includes 1/3 of Europe.

How good will the AI be at choosing leaders based on their traits? Not too good, I hope. Because my typical war involves about 7-8 12k+ stacks, which means 20+ commanders. If I have to go through character portraits and their stats to choose the right dude for the situation, 20+ times... and then do it again every time one dies, which happens a lot... just for my armies to be effective - I'll probably shoot myself in the head.

This sounds like a great idea for realms of 10 counties and under, but it could be a nightmare if your nation includes 1/3 of Europe.

Hm. How does the game determine now which courtiers to make a commander if you raise your levies?
Hopefully they will make it smart enough, so there is not as much need for micromanagement...

Glad to hear that combat's being updated. It is kind of frustrating when a kingdom will be constantly attacking you, and you know you've got little-to-no chance. So I am thankful to hear that terrain and "randomness" will come into effect more.

I don't mean to be negative (only a little bit) but when are we gonna hear about features that a related to Rome?? So far we've almost exclusively heard about 1.07... It's hardly a legacy of Rome dev diary.

I'm really looking forward to 1.07, but I'd love to hear more about features for LoR :D

Could we get some example of new cultural buildings? I think only the Kurd culture lacks a cultural building, so it would be quite interesting what you've got in mind.

A short update, but still welcome. I'm always open for more traits!

I don't mean to be negative (only a little bit) but when are we gonna hear about features that a related to Rome?? So far we've almost exclusively heard about 1.07... It's hardly a legacy of Rome dev diary.

I'm really looking forward to 1.07, but I'd love to hear more about features for LoR :D

Not even Rome it self we what here more about Constantinople, the new feature being add eastern Rome/roman empire.

While you're rebalancing combat PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE cap the numerical advantage factor at something.

What I mean is, if an attacker with 10k troops fights a defender who only has 500 troops, the 500 troops are killed at a rate that assumes all 10k of the enemy are on the same battlefield attacking them.
Now we could assume that 10k troops could surround the 500 but there is still only around 500 men worth of surface volume, and the defenders aren't going to take it lying down.

You'll know what I mean if you get a huge doomstack of 20k troops and roll over a 500 man army and lose some ridiculously low number of men. I'm pretty sure I've fought a battle killing hundreds of men and losing only 5, and that just doesn't happen.

So please reconsider the logic, remember surface volume. If you outnumber your enemy by hundreds of thousands of men and they only have 1000 men defending, you should still expect to lose hundreds of men, but in CK2 you lose like 1 man or none at all.

This is partly why empires are so powerful, they make the biggest doomstacks and your combat system isn't logical.