• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's Wednesday, and time to answer some questions about the upcoming DLC for Crusader Kings II; Legacy of Rome. The focus of this mini-expansion is going to be the Byzantine Empire and the Orthodox church. First off, in order to clear up any confusion from the original announcement, it's a bit smaller in scope than the Sword of Islam so the price is set at $5.99. While I say it's smaller in scope, if you include all the stuff we're adding for free in the accompanying patch (v1.07) it's probably about the same size as SoI and v1.06.

So, let's take a look at what's in the DLC and what's in patch 1.07...

LEGACY OF ROME DLC

• Retinue system. If you don't have the DLC, you won't see the new interface and you cannot hire retinues (and neither will the AI.) The technology that controls the max size of your retinue and relative decrease of normal levy sizes simply does not have this effect without the DLC.
  • Orthodox Councillor models
  • Major Decisions for the Byzantine Empire
  • Byzantine Events

Oh, and we're taking another tack with the DLC this around - if you don't own the DLC, the AI won't be using the new mechanics or events either. Also, from now on in multiplayer mode, the host will control which DLCs are active.

PATCH 1.07

• Faction system. Replaces many existing plots and normal revolt mechanics with factions.
  • Personal Improvement Ambitions
  • Orthodox Patriarch system
  • Have both a Plot and an Ambition at the same time
  • Revised levy raising. (You raise a single, large levy from each direct vassal. The opinions of vassals of vassals are irrelevant.)
  • Leader Focus on Combat
  • More Cultural Buildings
  • Improved AI
  • Bug fixes (of course)

I will talk about all these features in detail in upcoming dev diaries, but for now, that's all!

Last edited by a moderator:
ooo lots of free stuff there, i will buy the DLC though as to gain access to the retinue system.

Improved AI

is there a specific area of the AI you have been working largely on, or just general AI work?

Oh, and we're taking another tack with the DLC this around - if you don't own the DLC, the AI won't be using the new mechanics or events either. Also, from now on in multiplayer mode, the host will control which DLCs are active.
Does everyone have to have the DLC, or just the host? Can players decide purely graphical DLC independently from what the host decides?

Does everyone have to have the DLC, or just the host? Can players decide purely graphical DLC independently from what the host decides?

Only the host needs the DLC. This system is only for major DLCs that affect the checksum, not graphical stuff or music, etc.

The factions look really interesting

Sounds sweet. Once we have a theological DLC a republic DLC a trade DLC and a new shiny stuff DLC, I'll buy the bunch.

I felt that CK2 was a great basis, but lacked the depth and features to be as addicting as EU3:IN was for me. Didn't even finish 1 entire game with vanilla :(

Doomdark; [* said:
Revised levy raising. (You raise a single, large levy from each direct vassal. The opinions of vassals of vassals are irrelevant.)
[/LIST]

Looking forward to this. For the levy raising if a vassal has 2 Duchies say Orleans and Toulouse then the levies for both would appear in Orleans? Also will ships all appear in one place (presumably a random port if a vassal has sea provinces but the capital is inland)?