• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ok :)

It works, thanks ^^

(I can't wait for the final version of this converter :D)

I've also now set it to remove any titles that have neither de facto or de jure vassals or lieges. In practice, that's mercenaries and holy orders without territory, and it frees up 38-46 titles. So in the future, you shouldn't see this problem.

I've also now set it to remove any titles that have neither de facto or de jure vassals or lieges. In practice, that's mercenaries and holy orders without territory, and it frees up 38-46 titles. So in the future, you shouldn't see this problem.

I guess, when the 0.6 will be release, a lot of actual independent countries will be part of other countries. Right? :)

I guess, when the 0.6 will be release, a lot of actual independent countries will be part of other countries. Right? :)

Er, no. I feel pretty strongly that independent countries should remain independent. Now, multiple countries held by the same ruler (with the same succession laws) will probably be merged, but those are hardly independent.

And somewhere around 0.7 we'll see lots of vassals from within kingdoms show up in EU3.

Er, no. I feel pretty strongly that independent countries should remain independent. Now, multiple countries held by the same ruler (with the same succession laws) will probably be merged, but those are hardly independent.

And somewhere around 0.7 we'll see lots of vassals from within kingdoms show up in EU3.

I mean, in my game il-khanate was in rusian empire (il-khanate was annexed) but in the converted game it was independent. In future versions, it will be only a vassal or it will be part of rusia?

I mean, in my game il-khanate was in rusian empire (il-khanate was annexed) but in the converted game it was independent. In future versions, it will be only a vassal or it will be part of rusia?

Ah, I see! The Il-khanate and Russia are both empire-level titles. In 0.6, they'll either end up as a personal union or merged, depending on rules we haven't figured out yet.

Did it otherwise convert alright? I think it should have.

It looks like they removed or renamed that title in one of the patches. I'll probably need to remove that error message.

Nope , I didnt get any outputfile . My apologies for the late reply. Forgot about this . Much love for doing this wonderful project. If any , Paradox should hire and pay you!

Nope , I didnt get any outputfile . My apologies for the late reply. Forgot about this . Much love for doing this wonderful project. If any , Paradox should hire and pay you!

If they offered, I'd have a hard time refusing (well, unless they wanted me to move. I like California!).

In any case, would you mind uploading that save so I can take a look at what's happening?

This might sound stupid and you might seem arrogant by doing it ,but have you asked it already? I am sure they have seen you around and maybe considered it ... Yet still ,go ahead and try to ask them. :)

It certainly would be my dream job to work for paradox interactive.

Hmmm…I may just have to go and pitch the idea to them. The idea being hiring at least several of the team members from these projects. Sadly, I don't have enough time in the next few days to figure it out. Still, it can't hurt to ask, right?

The only error I see is the 'too many titles' error (which is completely resolved by my changes since the last release). Also, the internal version number says 1.05g. Did you start this game in 1.03 and keep at it in later CK2 versions?

Or it was the 1.05g version ... It was right before they added the attach command under the armies. I played it in one version ,and thus finished it in the same one as well

Hmmm…I may just have to go and pitch the idea to them. The idea being hiring at least several of the team members from these projects. Sadly, I don't have enough time in the next few days to figure it out. Still, it can't hurt to ask, right?

Ofcourse not ,you already have an impressive resume ,there is some interview with johan talking about the slight possibility of having one . Though he immediatly replies with ' my team is really going to hate for saying this'. I think they would appreciate some extra help.

Right, I had a little extra time yesterday, so I went and implemented tech conversion. But it's not working well.

What I did is take the average tech level in a nation of each CK2 technology. Then I take the average level of the techs that apply to each EU3 tech category, using the groups described here (note that there's nothing for trade, it remains undone currently). I then translate that average into a year, where tech level 1.0 corresponds to 1050, 2.0 to 1150, 3.0 to 1250 and so on. I then match that the the 'average tech years' in EU3 to find the tech level, and interpolate with the next tech's year to find what I'd like to be progress to the next tech.

But the techs come out way too low. In fact, they almost always hit the minimum threshold for year, and get converted to 0 level tech in EU3. Even after I adjusted the formula from CK2 tech levels to year (1.0 to 1150, 2.0 to 1250, etc). Though now I see the occasional tech level 7 or even 8 come out of this process.

I'm completely unsure of how to balance this. Or even if it can be balanced. Any suggestions?

Oh, also. I can't seem to find any data in the EU3 install on how countries advance in tech for later start dates. I'm going to need that info for ROTW nations, and it might be useful for figuring out European nations.

For that matter, any thoughts on cultural tradition, army tradition, navy tradition, stability, starting money, prestige, infamy, or legitimacy?

Right, I had a little extra time yesterday, so I went and implemented tech conversion. But it's not working well.

What I did is take the average tech level in a nation of each CK2 technology. Then I take the average level of the techs that apply to each EU3 tech category, using the groups described here (note that there's nothing for trade, it remains undone currently). I then translate that average into a year, where tech level 1.0 corresponds to 1050, 2.0 to 1150, 3.0 to 1250 and so on. I then match that the the 'average tech years' in EU3 to find the tech level, and interpolate with the next tech's year to find what I'd like to be progress to the next tech.

But the techs come out way too low. In fact, they almost always hit the minimum threshold for year, and get converted to 0 level tech in EU3. Even after I adjusted the formula from CK2 tech levels to year (1.0 to 1150, 2.0 to 1250, etc). Though now I see the occasional tech level 7 or even 8 come out of this process.

I'm completely unsure of how to balance this. Or even if it can be balanced. Any suggestions?

Oh, also. I can't seem to find any data in the EU3 install on how countries advance in tech for later start dates. I'm going to need that info for ROTW nations, and it might be useful for figuring out European nations.

Cant help here.

For that matter, any thoughts on cultural tradition, army tradition, navy tradition, stability, starting money, prestige, infamy, or legitimacy?

Uhm ,just merely suggesting some wild formulas but :
Army Tradition
Total amount of holdings / number of years in ck2 (being 387)
To give an idea ,the Golden Horde here has 290 holdings. Which would give them an army tradition of rougly 75 percent. Sounds good ,no ?
3636AD9E9E148A32AB208AAF29BF56600A11A58E

Navy Tradition
Coastal regions / Total regions = ...% for countries with > 5 counties/regions and for = < 5 ,same but divided by 2 ?
Stability
Here you could consider the present rebels ,civil wars (pretender rebels ?), amount of different religions. Hard to pour this one into a formula... So short could be the amount of revolting land internally i'd suggest to put 1/7 revolting land = +2 stab ; 2/7 = +1; 3/7 = 0 ; 4/7 = -1....
Though the idea of having 'only' a -1 stab when more than half of the land is revolting is weird. Maybe double it? 1/7= +1; 2/7 = -1 ; 3/7 = -3.
Reflect the loyalty of dukes and counts into revoltpercentages.
Prestige
Keep it simple, 100000VP = 100 Prestige , fair enough.
Money
Keep the same amount.
Infamy
Count the opinions of you of all other rulers (kings and emperors) together. With each -100 in the total of all positive and negative opinions, 1 infamypoint. If you have -2500 this would mean 25 infamypoints . In case the infamylimit is 20 ,you could default it to one point under the max infamy ,to keep it playable. Testing might be very useful to see how this concept would work out.
Legitimacy
Non-revolting Vassals/ Total amount of Vassals

Last edited:
First of all, great work with the converter. It's very much appreciated.

I checked the 1399 start, and it seems that all countries have 0 infamy and 100 legitimacy (for those countries have legitimacy). Prestige ranges from -18 to 34 (pretty evenly spread out), and stability from -1 (Lithuania) to +2 (Alsace, Friesland, Byzantium, Gelre). +1 stability seems to be the most prevalent, closely followed by 0.

The other attributes are harder to check as they are not in the ledger (at least I didn't find them there), so I just checked for a few arbitrarily chosen countries: Sweden, England, France, Castille, Portugal, Austria, Byzantium, Lithuania and the Mamluks. For all of those except Lithuania and Mamluks, cultural tradition is at 20 and both army and navy tradition at 0. Lithuania is at 0 cultural tradition, 20 army tradition and 19,6 (?) navy tradition, and the Mamluks are at 0, 20, 20.

Starting money varies wildly, with England on top with 224 gold.

As for actual suggestions:

All three tradition values should probably be somewhere in the 0-20 range, possibly dependent on military and cultural techs or - more preferable in my opinion - on the attributes of the ruler and/or relevant council members. More checking of EU3 staring values is needed, though.

Stability is more difficult, but most countries should be at 0 or 1. More extreme values should be reserved for extraordinary situations (ongoing civil war, extremely high average vassal opinion or something like that).

Money can be pulled straight from CK and multiplied by some (lower than 1) factor to make it more in line with EU starting conditions. Again, more checking of EU3 starting conditions needed.

Prestige should probably be based on dynasty or ruler prestige, again multiplied by some factor to bring it in line with "normal" EU values.

Infamy and legitimacy should be at 0 and 100 respectively.

As said, more checking of EU3 conditions is needed though.

EDIT: and while someone (I'm in a bit of a bind currently...) goes through EU3 starting values, they may as well check the number of starting agents too, unless Id's already got that covered.

First of all, great work with the converter. It's very much appreciated.

I checked the 1399 start, and it seems that all countries have 0 infamy and 100 legitimacy (for those countries have legitimacy). Prestige ranges from -18 to 34 (pretty evenly spread out), and stability from -1 (Lithuania) to +2 (Alsace, Friesland, Byzantium, Gelre). +1 stability seems to be the most prevalent, closely followed by 0.

The other attributes are harder to check as they are not in the ledger (at least I didn't find them there), so I just checked for a few arbitrarily chosen countries: Sweden, England, France, Castille, Portugal, Austria, Byzantium, Lithuania and the Mamluks. For all of those except Lithuania and Mamluks, cultural tradition is at 20 and both army and navy tradition at 0. Lithuania is at 0 cultural tradition, 20 army tradition and 19,6 (?) navy tradition, and the Mamluks are at 0, 20, 20.

Starting money varies wildly, with England on top with 224 gold.

As for actual suggestions:

All three tradition values should probably be somewhere in the 0-20 range, possibly dependent on military and cultural techs or - more preferable in my opinion - on the attributes of the ruler and/or relevant council members. More checking of EU3 staring values is needed, though.

Stability is more difficult, but most countries should be at 0 or 1. More extreme values should be reserved for extraordinary situations (ongoing civil war, extremely high average vassal opinion or something like that).

Money can be pulled straight from CK and multiplied by some (lower than 1) factor to make it more in line with EU starting conditions. Again, more checking of EU3 starting conditions needed.

Prestige should probably be based on dynasty or ruler prestige, again multiplied by some factor to bring it in line with "normal" EU values.

Infamy and legitimacy should be at 0 and 100 respectively.

As said, more checking of EU3 conditions is needed though.

EDIT: and while someone (I'm in a bit of a bind currently...) goes through EU3 starting values, they may as well check the number of starting agents too, unless Id's already got that covered.

Nice analysis. Thanks!

As for agents, everyone starts with 13 months worth of agents, based on the rate that nation accumulates them.

I'm pretty bad at creating the formulas, but here are some ideas you could use to build an algorithm from;

Cultural Tradition : Number of Church fiefs / provinces. This should mean that nations with lots of church fiefs compared to their overall province count will enjoy a good cultural start.
Army Tradition : Number of Castle fiefs / provinces. Like the above, militarised nations should begin with a higher military tradition.
Navy Tradition : Number of Town fiefs / provinces. Like the above, economically developed nations tend to be the traders in EU3, so will have greater Naval tradition.

Note; you may also want to add a fixed bonus for high level structures, ie fully upgraded fortifications or troop structures for military tradition. Likewise the other traditions. The difficulty here is how to keep this balanced for smaller nations. Perhaps include a / by provinces too. If you want to have set starting numbers (ie 5, 10, 15, 20 Tradition), then use the above figures as a score, and apply the Tradition depending if they reach certain thresholds.

Stability : Crown Authority might be the one to use for this, as in CK2, the more the crown authority the less chance of smaller factions splitting off (and those pesky rebellions can kick off at any time, its tough to judge just when they will happen Vs end-game point). Plus, when the controlling state is stable, its vassals and underlings often are too... and vice versa.

Starting Money : 13 months total income, plus a % based on their current cash reserves. This percentage could be done on a income scoring;
10,000+ : +25%
8,000 : +20%
6,000 : +15%
4,000 : +10%
2,000 : +5%
1,000 : +2.5%
500 : +1.25%
0 : +0%
etc

Prestige : An above poster had a good system, divide the VP by 1000. This will mean no nations will begin with negatives, but after a few wars this will rectify itself.

Infamy : All 0

Legitimacy : All 100

Hope this helps!

Also I am thinking of starting a new game, are there any nations / regions for which you want a save?

Last edited: