• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That's okay as long as you have naval supremacy, since your defeated men can always just retreat right back into the waiting ships. You don't even need to try andy real encirclements anyway, as any action behind the lines will be a sufficient distraction.

SU never has naval superiority against Germany.

All you will have is a tiny distraction at the cost of units, that and your navy is liable to be wiped from the face of the earth.

SU never has naval superiority against Germany.

All you will have is a tiny distraction at the cost of units, that and your navy is liable to be wiped from the face of the earth.

As I mentioned earlier, in a game with a human behind both the UK and USSR, it is the Royal Navy that would come out to fight the Kreigsmarine any time they try to react to Soviet naval activity.

Nobody is really ready for this!
the Germans lack the mass and the soviets lack the quality to win.
Germany will most likely hold the short end of the stick due to bad resource situation in the near future.

As I mentioned earlier, in a game with a human behind both the UK and USSR, it is the Royal Navy that would come out to fight the Kreigsmarine any time they try to react to Soviet naval activity.

Without Denmark UK can't even move ships into the baltic, and even if axis for the moment didn't control Copenhagen (which they do) it would be a very bad idea for several reasons.

The primary being that if Germany takes control of Copenhagen every single british ship inside the baltic at the time is pretty much dead. But there's even more to it than that! If SU only has the starting amount of transports even a quick indecisive naval battle can sink the transports with all troops onboard and if they have built more transports then that's just wasted IC and it's STILL likely they will sink! Naval bombers are LETHAL and without nearby airbases to house fighters of your own to combat them your ships are in big trouble. Add to that how the naval combat mechanics work and that you can't stack too many ships without disastrous consequences, then UK is in a very bad shape to help SU in the baltic even during the best of conditions.

It really is quite simply both pointless and suicidal to perform naval invasions like that in 99% of the cases.

The Allied flying circus can easily occupy Copenhagen at any time. The mainland part is even a peninsular, making it quite a folly move to try and defend each and every province. That's the point I was trying to make earlier. The group has to come up with rules against that sort of thing or it will ruin every game.

The Allied flying circus can easily occupy Copenhagen at any time. The mainland part is even a peninsular, making it quite a folly move to try and defend each and every province. That's the point I was trying to make earlier. The group has to come up with rules against that sort of thing or it will ruin every game.

You didn't read my last entry. The group doesn't have to do anything. They play this game for fun, and because of this a game is only fun as both parties have equal change to win. Historical plausibility is not the key issue here.

If you look back at previous games, the Axis always win. The last one, including the Flying Circus, was almost a win for the Axis. This means that without the Flying Circus they don't stand a chance.

As long as the Axis aren't nerfed in an other way it is not an option to change these house rules.
You can see this in the changes they did make, like making it harder for Japan to conquer China. Meaning the Sovjet player has less pressure from the east, and giving the UK more breathing space.

You didn't read my last entry. The group doesn't have to do anything. They play this game for fun, and because of this a game is only fun as both parties have equal change to win. Historical plausibility is not the key issue here.

If you look back at previous games, the Axis always win. The last one, including the Flying Circus, was almost a win for the Axis. This means that without the Flying Circus they don't stand a chance.

As long as the Axis aren't nerfed in an other way it is not an option to change these house rules.
You can see this in the changes they did make, like making it harder for Japan to conquer China. Meaning the Sovjet player has less pressure from the east, and giving the UK more breathing space.
What is the flying circus? Is it the name for those amphibious 200.000 men hit-and-run operations that end with encircled men swimming back to their ships safely? I'm surprised that they didn't mod out those retarded evacuations yet.

Not even the flying circus which you are so fond of complaining about can feasibly take Copenhagen. Any german ship will block the strait, enemy ships can't even enter the strait and several nearby airbases prevents CAGs from being useful. Taking Copenhagen is about as easy for allies as it is to take Gibraltar for axis.

It was in the James Bond movie Goldfinger. You know the leader was P. Galore. :)

The original flying circus was a squadron of fighter aircraft led by Manfred von Richthofen, also known as the Red Baron during WWI. They were called "Flying circus" by ground troops watching them in combat, because they flew multicolored planes (jus for the giggles) and aerial combat involved a lot of maneuver, which must have looked very impressive to soldiers who'd never really seen a plane before.

This AAR is turning out really nice, though. I don't wanna get into the tactics of it all right now, but I just finished reading CAD, and I'm already a huge fan of Carnage, and of Easy's style in particular. A lot of other AAR's are very detailed across the board, but, while I totally respect that commitment, and the amount of work that goes into it, excessive detail kind of blots out the really interesting strategic picture. What I like about Easy's AARs is that he kind of foregoes the excess detail, giving a more general, strategic view of the conflic while going into the engagements that really matter, with a really strong structure. Definitely going to be following Carnage for a good while.

Not even the flying circus which you are so fond of complaining about can feasibly take Copenhagen. Any german ship will block the strait, enemy ships can't even enter the strait and several nearby airbases prevents CAGs from being useful. Taking Copenhagen is about as easy for allies as it is to take Gibraltar for axis.

If you had had a look at the area, you'd notice that it indeed is quite easy to attack. The RN outmatches anything the Germans can throw at them in terms of ships and they can quite easily occupy Denmark or just Copenhagen and the surrounding provinces at their leisure. All of this in a situation where Germany is preoccupied in the west and the east.

You didn't read my last entry.
I didn't only not read it, I didn't even intend my posting as a reply to yours.

This deduction is... devoid of facts. The Axis almost won because the group switched from SF to FTM and didn't know about some aspects of the game. Aspects which would and did influence their gameplay. Had those been known before, the Axis would've found it harder to achieve victory. Still sad that the Allies only won thanks to flawed mechanics.

If you had had a look at the area, you'd notice that it indeed is quite easy to attack. The RN outmatches anything the Germans can throw at them in terms of ships and they can quite easily occupy Denmark or just Copenhagen and the surrounding provinces at their leisure. All of this in a situation where Germany is preoccupied in the west and the east.

I was perplexed by your answer, to say the least. The royal navy can't even fight the kriegsmarine because it isn't even physically possible to move ships into Öresund if Copenhagen is controlled by an enemy. Just start up the game and see for yourself.

That means that the shortest possible path to Copenhagen is through Sweden, which is 4 provinces minimum. If you do not feel like declaring war on Sweden and giving axis another ally then the shortest path is 6 provinces if you land at Tönder or Leck.

glhf doing that when all progress across the straits is blocked by a single ship and the absolutely only way you can push them away is with aircraft.

I was perplexed by your answer, to say the least. The royal navy can't even fight the kriegsmarine because it isn't even physically possible to move ships into Öresund if Copenhagen is controlled by an enemy. Just start up the game and see for yourself.

That means that the shortest possible path to Copenhagen is through Sweden, which is 4 provinces minimum. If you do not feel like declaring war on Sweden and giving axis another ally then the shortest path is 6 provinces if you land at Tönder or Leck.
The Brits have like 20 to 30 divisions available, you'll find those easily enough to go through the Jutland peninsular (which is basically the provinces north of Hamburg) and trap each and every Axis division in the area guarding the coast in the process.

glhf doing that when all progress across the straits is blocked by a single ship and the absolutely only way you can push them away is with aircraft.
Not that much of a problem with the RN carriers around. Even if it doesn't succeed, there is only one player on Germany here, who has to fight France and Russia at the same time. Adding yet another front may yet go unnoticed for a while (attacking empty provinces) or just overwhelm his attention. It's not neccessarily the genius of the Allied players winning that situation, rather the sheer number of popups calling for the attention of the German player.

Wouldn't it be better, then, for the German player to just garrison Copenhagen and man the river line at the bottom of Denmark? Its not like the port and airfield at the tip of Denmark is anything special, so the trickiest part should then be ensuring you have constant air superiority missions going over that airfield. If the UK wants to bring its CAGs, the INT can just pin its ears back and grin.
That being said, I think the last part of your post, Baltasar, about the German player ending up overwhelmed is spot on. The Soviets can be/are tricky enough as a singular front; having to balance fighting France, the USSR, and a naval invasion in Denmark could just plain swamp a person. Or, if the UK is going to commit 20-30 divisions, 3-4 separate amphibious invasions (just a thought).

Wouldn't it be better, then, for the German player to just garrison Copenhagen and man the river line at the bottom of Denmark? Its not like the port and airfield at the tip of Denmark is anything special, so the trickiest part should then be ensuring you have constant air superiority missions going over that airfield. If the UK wants to bring its CAGs, the INT can just pin its ears back and grin.
That being said, I think the last part of your post, Baltasar, about the German player ending up overwhelmed is spot on. The Soviets can be/are tricky enough as a singular front; having to balance fighting France, the USSR, and a naval invasion in Denmark could just plain swamp a person. Or, if the UK is going to commit 20-30 divisions, 3-4 separate amphibious invasions (just a thought).

Just one problem. The same can be said about the UK player. Attacking Denmark, defending France and keeping an eye on Japan and Italy. A lot to handle.

And you're right about the defending part of Denmark, no need to defend the small airport and harbor on the mainland, just defend the island where Kopenhagen is on and the channel to the north of Hamburg. Air superiority, followed up with logistical bombing will end the invasion. A land route to Kopenhagen is not needed. Airsupply and supply by sea are enough. Submarines can't interdict because of the blocking part.

Holding it as the Allies is also impossible. Just gain Air superiority and bomb the crap out of them.

Just one problem. The same can be said about the UK player. Attacking Denmark, defending France and keeping an eye on Japan and Italy. A lot to handle.
UK can keep her nose out of France and indeed will make things easier for both the French and the British this way. Italy is bottled up in the med and Japan can't hit anything the UK can't live without, even if they leapfrog towards Egypt.

And you're right about the defending part of Denmark, no need to defend the small airport and harbor on the mainland, just defend the island where Kopenhagen is on and the channel to the north of Hamburg. Air superiority, followed up with logistical bombing will end the invasion. A land route to Kopenhagen is not needed. Airsupply and supply by sea are enough. Submarines can't interdict because of the blocking part.

All this is ignoring very likely if not outright inevitable UK air supremacy. Just running CAG attacks on adjactend sea zones or ports will be a victory in itself since the idea behind the attack on Copenhagen was ensuring naval supremacy for the Red Fleet in the Baltic.

All this is ignoring very likely if not outright inevitable UK air supremacy. Just running CAG attacks on adjacent sea zones or ports will be a victory in itself since the idea behind the attack on Copenhagen was ensuring naval supremacy for the Red Fleet in the Baltic.

Also keep in mind that the issue of moving into or out of the Baltic itself is probably moot, since I am fairly certain the USSR can land in western Denmark & Germany from ships staged in Murmansk. This kind of play isn't something I would try in every game, but it can have an impact beyond its immediate strategic or tactical value if you've forced the Axis to make adjustments to their own plans to react to an unexpected move. Just imagine your own reactions as a German player if you suddenly saw Soviet divisions popping up behind your lines in Holland even while you still haven't defeated France.

The French player must be dancing a little jig right now as this game offers the greatest chance for their survivability out of any `Carnage` AAR I've read so far. I still haven't worked out how the Axis expected to take on the Allies and Comintern at the same time with France in the game and no time given to making a lot of specialized preparations for it. I hope we'll see some attacks in the future from the USSR that will be meant to bleed off German manpower as opposed to gaining ground, that might be the most helpful thing Uncle Joe can do right now.