• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I keep wanting to play the USSR in HOI3, but have never followed through -- maybe if I see how a pro does it, I won't be as intimidated. :) Subscribed, in any case.

There's not many a feeling better than seeing a new Carnage AAR.

I have been reading the Carnage-AARs for a long time, enjoyed every single one of them. Now on USSR, this is going to be awesome!

Oh i'll welcome a new carnage !

So this time , no fighting to the bitter end ... with a NU boost to compensate.

I shall be following this AAR. I finished reading the last bits of your efforts with Italy and the combined ostfront. You have sold me on multiplayer aars.

My 1 game as USSR: small number of forces in the front, majority behind the first river line. Also had gobs of v1 rockets ready to infratructure/logistical bomb should the Germans invade.

1600 views without a single actual post of events... Now that's what I call being a forum celebrity!

In the first carnage game I remember Cpt answering all comments; just trying to imagine him trying to do the same now.

Firstly - amazing with so many cheering comments. I can't really stop posting - now can I? ;) Thanks guys.

I can't wait for this to begin. Have you started playing yet?

As allways, we are playing far in advance of the actual posts. This because I want to have the freedom of showing you things without giving away important things to my enemies. Still, I allways write the chapters just after a game, so they are "freshly written" if not freshly posted. The important thing is, when I write them, I do not have the answers I do when I post them.

If it's not too much of a problem, could you please mark all the new HR's (if there is any)? Makes it much easier for people that have read your previous AAR to see the differences between them.

I'm note sure I'm following you, mate. All my AARs are listed in order in my signature (although I know I need to update it... and shorten it...)

It seems to me that with the number of players, skill of players, new rules, and what the player have learned from previous AARs, the Allies have a definite advantage. A strong Nat China will weaken Japan, who never was too strong or relevant to begin with.

Our goal is always to make it even... although it is of course impossible to create a 100% even set up.

Yes, another Carnage AAR, the hollow feeling in my chest has been filled.

I to hope Zid can provide some updates on the Sino-Japanese front. What happens if he joined he Axis?

That will be up to Zid. Just remember, we are playing on high speed initially so it will be extremely hard for him just managing his troops. We'll have to wait and see.

1600 views without a single actual post of events... Now that's what I call being a forum celebrity!

In the first carnage game I remember Cpt answering all comments; just trying to imagine him trying to do the same now.

Yes, that really cheers me up. No, as I have a hard time writing and posting AARs nowdays, I have cut down a little on responses. But I read them all of course - and perticularly in this case - enjoy them all.

Now - if all goes right - the first chapter will come come later today.

Chapter I - Alea Iacta Est

Players: UK, FRA, SOV, Nat China, GER, JAP, ITA

Prologue:
Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin’s rise to power had been a bloody one. He had made sure there was no opposition. It had left Soviet’s massive armies with very few good officers. If fact, most divisions were more like mobs with WW1 weaponry. This was something Stalin planned to adjust as soon as possible. Japan was waging war against China and Germany seemed to be on the war-path. Well, come what may, as long as Soviet had some time to prepare. Stalin also saw a few small neighboring nations he wanted to integrate with Soviet.

1-9.jpg

23rd-25th September, 1938

It came as a complete surprise to Stalin when both Germany and Italy attacked their neighbors during the autumn of 1938. As far as he had been informed, the Germans would not ready in at least a half year more. The Allies did not seem to respond to this either, which was very worrying. That meant Germany soon would share a border with Soviet… and the Red Army was far from ready. When the implication of that really hit Stalin he started to give orders in a frenzy.

Authors note: Well. This was a little bit odd. In earlier HoI versions, this was not really possible as the German threat would hit the roof, and a second DoW would pull in USA or at least be very close to it. In FtM, the threat system is different and don’t really react to this as much which opened up for this strategy. Had I realized, I would a suggested a House Rule to prevent it, but I did not. As I had not though it really possible I hadn’t the slightest plan to tackle the situation. Furthermore, as I thought I would have one or two playing sessions before the Winter War, my troops were more or less organized in the start-up formation which is fairly crappy. So everything was just chaos at this point. All armor and motorized units were pulled back way behind the lines to be broken down to brigades and built up in new divisions.

The situation was more or less similar for the Allies.

Also – bear in mind we, as stated by the House Rules not really being designed for this event, we are playing at speed 3.

2-9.jpg

October 23rd-24th, 1938

It took about a month for Germany to crush the Poles and somehow they managed to take out the Danes as well. The Allies were not pushed into the war by this. Germany ended up in peace again, but nobody thought that would last very long.

Stalin first thought had been to set up a strong defense at the border to Germany, but as the awaited attack become eminent, he changed his mind and moved back his forces a few provinces to be better able to respond to the German attack and minimize the surprise effect. The Soviet forces were still far away from being properly organized and even if a few more officers had joined the army, not much had changed. The armor corps was still far behind the lines even if a first light armor corps was moving westwards to join the defense.

This would become a bloody affaire. Stalin sent is commissars to the front to raise the spirits of the troops.

Authors note: The biggest problem was that in the event of a German attack on Soviet, it did not seem like the Allies would be able to attack Germany from behind. For Soviet to stand alone against Germany in 1938 would be slaughter.

As you must realize, dear readers, I was so totally in frenzy-mode that very few screenshots were taken at this point.

3-9.jpg

November 4th, 1938

Germany had yet not attacked Soviet, but instead, Nationalist China fell to the Japanese.

Authors note: This came as an ugly surprise (and a disappointment). We have modded Nat China to be stronger than Vanilla, and Zid did his best to run them in speed 3, but it seemed Japan managed to surround a huge Ai-run army in the north, and after that, China fell like a house made of cards. Zid and Daphne – feel free to enlighten us.

Not very long after this, Ganxe Clique fell as well. Stalin watched all this warily over his shoulder. He had the feeling traps with great steel jaws were being placed all around his Bear. In the office, Stalin took a shot of vodka in silence, his officers and runners waiting at attention in front of him. He slowly put the small glass away beside him and took a slow but deep breath of air. Then he started to give his order; troop movements, science projects, spy missions, new formations of troops, weapons constructions… This Bear would not fall without a fight!

New authors note - Seeing your initial comments I fear many are dissapointed. Well, we all are and most of all Zid. Running that war on speed 3 is a challenge and as we all now - the AI can't be trusted. But a hand to Daphne who managed to solve it nicely. We probably have to modd Nat China to become just a little tougher 'till next time.

4-9.jpg

December 8th, 1938

Authors note: Von Rosen (France) speculated that Axis would first clean up in Central Europe before they attacked Soviet. It seemed he was right when Germany annexed Czechoslovakia. That DID however trigger the Allies. As far as I see it, it must have been a mistake from the German leadership as Czechoslovakia is not worth that much. But maybe it was inevitable? I don’t know. From the Soviet leadership it was bliss. Even if Germany attacked Soviet now, they would not stand alone.

A funny detail is that in the chaos that speed 3 inflicted on us all, Allies did not realize they were at war until two days later. I would love to get some comments from the Axis side as well.

Now, everything was possible. Would Germany still attack Soviet or would they turn on the Allies?

5-8.jpg

December 24th, 1938

December moved on without now other news than colder and colder weather forecasts. Stalins consumption of vodka had gone up. The lack of knowledge what was to come was eating him up from inside. Why did they not attack? Or would they turn west? If they did, should he attack instead? On Christmas day, Stalin found out that Yugoslavia had succumbed under the Italian onslaught. It meant Italy, Germanys little brother, would be able to support the vile Nazis on whatever dark crusade they were planning for.

Stalin had made huge rearrangement in his army’s composition. He knew battle would come soon. His troops were mentally ready – their equipment being rubbish – but he also knew the newest equipment was still being produced. His men would have to meet the Germans with the same weapons they had lost the last Great War with. It was not a reassuring thought. Also, he had not yet replaced all the flesh he had cut out of the sick officer corps. But he had the numbers, and by the vodka in his hand, he had the will!

The troops were reading themselves by the front.

6-9.jpg

January 4th, 1939

When the new year came, Germany threw themselves like a hungry beast on Holland. It actually took a few days before the news came to Stalin and by the time he got it, he hesitated again on a proper response. It was obvious Soviet would not be the first target. Doom was not waiting at his door step. So – now what?

Authors note: After New Year, we are playing at speed 2 and no breaks, which is still quite fast when thinking of what vast decisions had to be made.

7-10.jpg

January 19th, 1939

In Mid January, German forces crossed the Belgian border and attacked her unprepared troops. Now Germany would share a broad front against France and a long coast against the Brits. They would have plenty of things to occupy themselves with there. It was time for the Frost Bears of Russia to leap up from their watchful resting places and charge the hungry wolves of Germany.

Stalin sat in the studio, after a few shots of vodka, and talked at length to the people. He claimed knowledge of the German plans to turn on Soviet after they finished the weak French. He stated that a nation built on equality and comradeship could never live side by side with Fascists. Instead of waiting for the wolves to attack, the Bear, the people of the greatest nation on earth, would take fire and iron to the evil and root it out from the face of the earth! And the people rose….

8-9.jpg

January 21st, 1939

The Red Army attacked more or less along the entire front. Due to uncertainties until the last second, it was not optimally deployed for an all out attack – but good enough. The majority of the armor had been positioned in the south and they stormed ahead with great speed.

Stalin always knew that if Hitler chose to attack France first, he would not have troops on the border to Soviet. The question, however, was HOW MUCH he would have left eastwards and HOW FAR east he had dared to place them. The other question was – where were the Italians? Had they already been deployed in former Poland or were they planned for other operations?

Stalin took another shot of vodka…

In next session, Soviet will strike at the Baltic States and broaden the front against Germany and continuously attack, regroup and attack again, trying to find weaknesses and tug at the attention of Maxyboy. I expect Italian forces to show up on the East Front, supporting the few Germans. We’ll see how many Italians show up and what they can do. I will try to focus as little as possible on them and keep harassing the Wehrmacht. As we have opened up for expeditionary forces, Maxyboy (Germany) might give some troops away to Sir Henry (Italy) in order to be able to focus on France whole-heartily.

In all sessions were Soviet attacks Germany - the goal must allway be to take Berlin and crush the Wehrmacht BEFORE France is beaten. Should that fail, Soviet have little chance at surviving a long war aginst Germany starting this early. Still, in this set up, this early, Germany has so few units available I deemed the chances for success were good enough. Alea iacta est.

Interesting.

Do your houserules ban increasing threat via spies? Because it's quite potent in FTM.