• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
CKII and paradox game in general noob here. As recommended by many people, my first game is as the Duke of Munster in Ireland. Things have been going reasonably well so far. I put down the inevitable rebellion
in Ormond, gave the city to my Uncle. I forced Desmond to become my vassal through de jure claims and united the Duchy of Munster. I invited the heir to the Duchy of Meath to my court, gave him a landed title so he could be my direct vassal, and then pressed his claim to the county of Leinster, adding it to my realm. This last bit I fear was a huge mistake.
As I said earlier, this guy is the heir to the Duchy of Meath. So when the duke of meath dies, he inherits...does that mean he will form a new realm and take Leinster with him? Can he do that without having to
rebel against me? My current objective is to create the duchy of leinster which will give me a claim to the county of ossory. I plan to keep that duchy for myself if possible.
From reading guides, wikis and the forums, I feel like I am playing the game wrong in general. People talk about keeping vassals weak and holding a couple of duchies and several counties within their own
demesne. How/when am I supposed to start doing that? I would much rather not have to deal with these grumpy vassals at all, but as it is I can't risk just stripping everyone of their titles, they're just as strong as I am, and the hit to opinion will endanger the stability of my realm. I feel walled in by my vassals, unable to take strong action. Is this just the nature of the early game, and if so, what is my course out?

Yes, if he inherits a title on the same tier as yours, he'll become independent without any sort of war. To avoid it you can preemptively revoke his title, either by plot, or goading him into rebelling against you, which will give you free revokation upon victory. Another way to prevent the issue would simply be conquering Meath before the ruler dies.

Thank you very much for the information and suggested strategies. It's going to be tough to goad him into attacking me since he loves me so much for pressing his claim, and then the war will be tough as well since the rest of my vassals are so grumpy with me right now and unwilling to provide full levies, but I still think that's my best bet...I don't see a claim to the duchy of meath coming my way any time soon. What are some good ways to make him hate me without losing too much prestige or affecting the opinion of my other vassals?

I seem to have trouble with my bethrodals, every time I make one for my sons to wed the princesses of France I find myself having to break the bethrodals as I can't accept it. When I wed off my daughters the other kings come to me but they both come of age and well nothing I only see the option to break bethrodal, is there some sort of time period I must wait or a bug, or am I just not looking hard enough?

Thank you very much for the information and suggested strategies. It's going to be tough to goad him into attacking me since he loves me so much for pressing his claim, and then the war will be tough as well since the rest of my vassals are so grumpy with me right now and unwilling to provide full levies, but I still think that's my best bet...I don't see a claim to the duchy of meath coming my way any time soon. What are some good ways to make him hate me without losing too much prestige or affecting the opinion of my other vassals?
Raise his, and only his, levies, and just leave them raised. It'll take quite a while for his opinion of you to degrade by any major amount though (-5 opinion per year)

Apart from raising his troops, make him court jester, give him a child of yours to look after then give it to someone else, give him an advisor title then give it to someoen else. Or plot/assasinate him and the new guy wont love you as much.

Playing patch 1.05g.

The Shia Caliphate won a jihad for the Sultanate of Byzantium in the 1150s. The Pope calls for a crusade in the 1240s and as king of England, I win it... I get Greece and a fair bit of Turkey, which is fine. Except I don't get the title of King of Byzantium! In addition, I can't usurp the Sultanate of Byzantium either even though I now own 66% of the counties and the Caliph is not at war. What gives?

Sorry to post this again, but my original question is pretty far back now and I haven't been able to continue the game it applies to without getting an answer first.

How does the game determine who can be nominated in a duchy with elective succession? I was playing as the duke of Toulouse, and my grandson, who is of my dynasty, is the duke of aquitaine, poitou, etc.. I had been following gavelkind succession, but in this case it would have made a daughter in a normal marriage my heir, and I could not switch to primogeniture. I changed to elective succession and tried to find my grandson, but he was not on the list of possible heirs to nominate. I'm not sure why he wasn't my heir under gavelkind anyway, as he is the grandson of my own firstborn son. Shouldn't he already have been next in line, and why can't I nominate him now?

How does the game determine who can be nominated in a duchy with elective succession?
Give your grandson a landed title in your de jure duchy. That will solve the problem.

Basically for elective succession, your immediate family is eligible for nomination. If your family has titles outside of your duchy, they tend not to be eligible for nomination for some reason.

What are the easiest means to be able to invite people to your court? Can´t think of much stuff besides arranging marriages and increase prestige and piety as much as possible to get decent relations.

Yeah but as duke monies usually are in short supply :( What else besides that and giving titles?

Well, what do you need the person for? If you need a specific person, it's pretty hard. If you need to fill a council spot, you've got more options; if you just need someone to tutor children, then you can get very good stat women via marriage.

Yeah but as duke monies usually are in short supply :( What else besides that and giving titles?

You are just going to have to search. Go to the Search People page and sort by whatever stat you need (and of your religion). Look for people with high opinions of you. Go into diplomacy menu for each and hover over the "Yes/No" to see how many pluses and minuses they have. If they'll come then invite them, if you think a bribe will be enough to give you more pluses the minuses then bribe and then invite. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find one willing to move because their current leader is unable to press their claims. Even if you have no intention of pressing them, it will be in your favor.

It's hardest to get new talent when you are just starting out as a ruler and you are up against a significant short-reign penalty. (or bad traits) You might want to wait a bit and let things even out. Also the higher the state diplomacy, the more bribes will aid you. In any case you may have to go down several pages full of candidates before finding someone who will come. So the answer to your question is...do a lot of checking.

Hey, where's my ships? according to Wikia coastal baronies and cities are supposed to have them as part of their base strength. Did that change with a patch and now I have to build harbors?

Hey, where's my ships? according to Wikia coastal baronies and cities are supposed to have them as part of their base strength. Did that change with a patch and now I have to build harbors?

Go to your Military button at the top of your screen. See where your Army stuff is listed? There is a FLEET tab as well. You can raise all ships at once here.

To raise county by county... if you go into one of your coastal counties there is a series of four buttons in the middle right of screen. Some raise levies, some raise SHIPs. Check that out.

Unless you're playing a mod you should definitely have ships, yes. Do note that they're called up with a different button than regular levies.

Oh, and why use the Wikia when you can use the MediaWiki Crusader Kings II Wiki? ;)

How important are genetic traits to electors? In my current game, my character had 5 sons. 3 were tall, 2 were not. Nobody would vote for the oldest one, which made sense since aside from being tall was everything vassals hate--homosexual, arbitrary, had a terrible education, and married a woman with a hairlip (ah the wonders of married landed characters). Instead they voted for son #2 who was tall, but still a child. And after son #2 took over, they all started voting for his youngest brother (#5), who is tall but age 1, rather than brothers #3 or 4, who are a lot closer to finishing their education. Is this normal for the AI to prefer a tall character even if it means a regency?

Electors likely give bonuses/penalties like they would if they referred to you. (+10 for tall, -30 for hunchback, etc) They may well factor in prestige and piety of the person. Somewhere in there they wrangle whether they like the current liege too. (If they like you, they tend to vote in your direction)

And second and most importantly, Electors are moody. Super, Jersey-Shore style moody.