• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hehee, well done! That's one major player out. :)

You're surrounding your main holdings with vassals, are you going to take that even further? I.e. vassalize Savoy & Switzerland or release vassals in that area?

I would like to, but Savoy and Switzerland are both Catholic and hard to digest - the war score, who would be necessary to vassalize them, is too high. "They have too good relations with the Papal State" and cannot be excommunicated. And I am not releasing provinces from my culture group.

There is a MAJOR hurdle in your quest to grab all the CoT - Kyoto, that will basically need that you occupy a lot of Japan to be able to get it in a peace deal. The rest, besides some Horde making one in the center of Asia ( been there.... ) or some similar nonsense, is easy enough.

Now , it will be interesting to see how does the German area consolidates, now that there is no Empire and the obvious big boss ( you ) will not intervene in the area besides CoT grabbing.

America looks nice in that shade of blue i have to say.

One goal achieved. No more HRE. Excellent. Now just conquer the world!
Well, or at least the COTs :)

There is a MAJOR hurdle in your quest to grab all the CoT - Kyoto, that will basically need that you occupy a lot of Japan to be able to get it in a peace deal. The rest, besides some Horde making one in the center of Asia ( been there.... ) or some similar nonsense, is easy enough.

Now , it will be interesting to see how does the German area consolidates, now that there is no Empire and the obvious big boss ( you ) will not intervene in the area besides CoT grabbing.
A COT in London, Lisboa or Ile de France would also be annoying...

America looks nice in that shade of blue i have to say.
:)

1629-1631 : Provence, Bar and Ulm vassalized. War with France and Great Britain (1)

Lüneburg pays 130 ducats for peace. Alsace 50 ducats. Thuringia gets a white peace. But Scotland needs our help - soon. Although I am not overenthusiastic about having to defend a country who can't defend itself.
EU3_1037.jpg

War is declared on the Mings and Persia instead. And also on the Yin (I think) who managed to grab a province from the Ming. Bohemia is peaced: they cancel the vassalization of Prussia and release Brandenburg.
I can't resist the tentation and vassalize Bar, the third richest country in the game - a free marketer. I should rather grab provinces outside of Europe, what can I do ?
EU3_1046.jpg

In July 1630, the effect is evident. For the first time Venice has an yearly income over 20k ducats.
EU3_1048.jpg

The war with Persia is soon over and they cede a province and release Khiva. We declare war on Great Britain then.
EU3_1050.jpg

Regrettably, France joins the war. Great Britain white peaces Scotland almost immediately.
We vassalize Ulm - it has a COT.
EU3_1060.jpg

Our first battle is won in Meath.... Their army is routed in Leinster.
EU3_1061.jpg

But in Derby, we lose. Probably the army composition was wrong. Too much artillery.
EU3_1070.jpg

The British grace us and don't follow our retreat. But we claim the tile of DoTF, to improve our morale. We lost it after conceding defeat to a horde.
Our vassal, Bar, is at war with Lorraine. So we declare war on them.
EU3_1075.jpg

Meanwhile, some troops are active in France. Provence has fallen.
EU3_1077.jpg

Regrettably, because of the many wars, I left northern Italy undefended and Savoy and Switzerland can come in.
EU3_1078.jpg

But we save Aragon from the French invasion.
EU3_1079.jpg

Meanwhile, Cologne is peaced and releases Cleves and Trier. The British colony of Attawakapiskat is occupied.
EU3_1082.jpg

Too many fronts. I missed this battle. Later I simplify my ledger on the right and remove armies and fleets, to be able to always see the battles.
EU3_1085.jpg

But then we recover and concentrate forces in London.
EU3_1092.jpg

Meanwhile, Switzerland and Savoy had divided their armies and therefore we can rout Savoy's army in Cuneo.
EU3_1095.jpg

The British are routed in Lincoln and Britain is ours.
EU3_1098.jpg

The Swiss are also pushed back.
EU3_1099.jpg

In June 1631, we save Armagnac from the French.
EU3_1102.jpg

and the Swiss are routed in Sankt Gallen.
EU3_1103.jpg

I can't help it - Provence has a COT. I just NEED to vassalize it.
EU3_1104.jpg

1631-1633: War with France and Great Britain (2). New Ming provinces.

Great Britain - September 1631
EU3_1111.jpg

Our ally Nevers is relieved from the siege.
EU3_1118.jpg

EU3_1119.jpg

The French stack is routed in Berry, The mission, build a fine art academy in Uteve, is accomplished, and we get the next : soldify our papal relations, who are very bad after diplo-annexing the Papal State.
EU3_1123.jpg

Since Lombardia is often the first province who gets invaded we build "March" there.
EU3_1126.jpg

Guyenne pays 237 ducats for peace and Savoy other 325 ducats.
EU3_1128.jpg

Situation in Europe in March 1632.
EU3_1132.jpg

and in China. These are the only fronts we are fighting, apart having to deal with rebels who are getting increasingly annoying.
EU3_1135.jpg

Burgundy is taken out of the war. I make them release Luxembourg.
EU3_1144.jpg

Ayuttahya is also peaced along with their Chinese ally, which I won't annex this time. WE is pretty high and I won't annex everything I would like to.
EU3_1146.jpg

Situation in June 1632.
EU3_1155.jpg

EU3_1156.jpg

EU3_1157.jpg

In December 1632, we peace Ming for 5 provinces. Their last COT is in their capital Nanjing, I wonder how I will be able to get it.
EU3_1169.jpg

Great Britain, this time, is force-converted. They have to release Leinster as well. Let's see how this plays out. My "nightmare" taught me that force-conversion can be devastating on a country.
EU3_1170.jpg

Huron declares war but is soon peaced. In August 1633, France is force-converted too - and they release Champagne and Bourbonnais. Bourbon has a COT, by the way.
EU3_1177.jpg

After improving relations with the Pope, I get the only mission I feel entitled to cancel : convert a vassal to a religion. I fulfilled it once, in 1609 I think, and I did not get the prize , the infamy reduction.
EU3_1179.jpg

So I cancel it, and I get the mission to vassalize Leinster - but I will have to hurry since there are rebels there. I will need to ship troops there ASAP. Problem is, Leinster is an ally, since I just made Great Britain release it.
EU3_1181.jpg

Because of all the excitement I forget to check and I accidentally take a huge loan. Well, I guess I will hire a banker and I will do important stuff to deal with rebels. WE is now at 12 and along with the infamy is pretty crippling. We support Baroque Music and Commedia dell'arte.
EU3_1183.jpg

We also build a Glorius Monument in Venice.
EU3_1185.jpg

In December 1632, we peace Ming for 5 provinces. Their last COT is in their capital Nanjing, I wonder how I will be able to get it.
In the same way you got the Incan cap :D That is, isolate it and then ask it in a peace deal ... I wonder if you are feigning innocence or if you really forgot, since you already isolated it ;)

Good going - I can't ever bring myself to release vassals, I conquered it it's mine! :)

In the same way you got the Incan cap :D That is, isolate it and then ask it in a peace deal ... I wonder if you are feigning innocence or if you really forgot, since you already isolated it ;)

He'll need to remove Ming's other coastal provinces first to isolate it.

The "reading" I have of this Doge and Senate of Venice is that they will exceed the infamy limit and provoke the rebellions that "historically" floored Venice in the projected future. Having a goal to take all COTs strikes me as odd for a Venice no longer ruled by the Merchants. All this releasing of vassals is so unvenetian. Peoples brought into the glorious civilization that is the Serene Republic have their life enhanced that to expel them from it is, well, just plain wrong. Basing a course of action for real people and countries based on nightmares is cause for removal of the Doge and his hangers on. The Doge is clearly in need of medical care and attention. What do philosophers know about running real countries and policymaking? Releasingthe Ottomans is the final straw. Venice is heir to the Byzantine Empire and its glory and lands. Nanjing and its COT is isolated and will make a fine addition for Venice. Thereafter Venice needs to return to its traditional policy of humbling Spain and Portugal, removing all foreigners from the Americas including the Caribbean and re-integrating released vassals. That COT in Cyprus must be dismantled. Peace for a decade to reduce infamy.

I get the impression the ordinary Venetian would be somewhat disconcerted about the developments in Venice.

Hi everybody, thank you for the feedback.

Well, both, I am not sure what happens to coastal provinces - but I guess I got the answer now :)

Good going - I can't ever bring myself to release vassals, I conquered it it's mine! :)

He'll need to remove Ming's other coastal provinces first to isolate it.
I can relate to that - but it's an idea I want to try and see where it takes me.

The "reading" I have of this Doge and Senate of Venice is that they will exceed the infamy limit and provoke the rebellions that "historically" floored Venice in the projected future. Having a goal to take all COTs strikes me as odd for a Venice no longer ruled by the Merchants. All this releasing of vassals is so unvenetian. Peoples brought into the glorious civilization that is the Serene Republic have their life enhanced that to expel them from it is, well, just plain wrong. Basing a course of action for real people and countries based on nightmares is cause for removal of the Doge and his hangers on. The Doge is clearly in need of medical care and attention. What do philosophers know about running real countries and policymaking? Releasingthe Ottomans is the final straw. Venice is heir to the Byzantine Empire and its glory and lands. Nanjing and its COT is isolated and will make a fine addition for Venice. Thereafter Venice needs to return to its traditional policy of humbling Spain and Portugal, removing all foreigners from the Americas including the Caribbean and re-integrating released vassals. That COT in Cyprus must be dismantled. Peace for a decade to reduce infamy.

I get the impression the ordinary Venetian would be somewhat disconcerted about the developments in Venice.

What should I say - would the Roman Republic have anticipated Nero and Caligula ? Maybe the Doge needs medical attention, but that wouldn't be the first case in history when a madman rules an empire. I think taking all COTs is to Venice what Mare Nostrum was to Rome - it is their ultimate goal, no matter who rules. And, I was getting bored - just want to try this policy of releasing vassals and see where it takes me.

1633-1636: Asia or Bust (1)

We move our national focus to Rio de la Plata and we build a COT there. We love COTs.
EU3_1187.jpg

As of now, there are six COTs in America.
EU3_1189.jpg

We would like to vassalize Lorraine, who has a COT, but it won't happen this time. We need to be at peace and can't wait for infamy to go down. So we acccept their peace offer.
EU3_1188.jpg

Switzerland is peaced as well and pays 525 ducats. In November 1633, we are at peace again.
EU3_1191.jpg

Now it is vassal-releasing time. We relase Kandesh and Deccan - we need room for other conquests and the clock is ticking. In hindsight, it would have probably been smarter taking on the Empire aftar 1650. By the way, I made a mistake there. I have a Venetian province which is landlocked and does not get full tariffs and taxes.
EU3_1194.jpg

Münster is released as well - I don't want to have to deal with that province.
EU3_1195.jpg

And then, I am out of candidates. I have a pretty good string of vassals and allies in Europe. Not it will be Asia or bust.
EU3_1197.jpg

We land a nice stack in Connaught and we hire a banker, to deal with the huge interest we are paying. War Exhaustion is at 11
EU3_1200.jpg

But before I can even declare war, in April 1634, the province Leinster defects to Tyrone. Oops ! Another mission failed. I am afraid God will soon get angry at us.
EU3_1204.jpg

The next mission will be to conquer Perak, a province bordering Malacca. Calabar becomes Lombard. We build the Veterans Home in Serranos and lose some War Exhaustion.
EU3_1211.jpg

One of the perks of having many allies is being often called to war. In July 1636, Aragon calls us to war and this means it is time to go back to war.
EU3_1214.jpg

So we declare war at the same time on : the Haasa, Mameluks, Iraq, Persia and Astrakhan. The time has come for an energic push into Asia.
EU3_1219.jpg

First we defeat Iraq's stack in Sharizor.
EU3_1223.jpg

Then the Mameluks in Hawran.
EU3_1225.jpg

Regrettably, an event makes us lose 1 stability. Iraq's stack is routed in Iraq's al Arab.
EU3_1230.jpg

Astrakhan's troops are defeated in Azow.
EU3_1232.jpg

The first peace treaty is signed. Haasa cedes Hammah.
EU3_1233.jpg

In Dash-i-Lut, we defeat the Persians. Their stack is routed after a couple of ping-pongs.
EU3_1235.jpg

Regrettably, we soon get overextension, which is annoying since we are recovering stability. In November 1637, we can force a peace on the Mameluks and get all of their provinces but two. We will annex them in the next war and then in due time release as a whole country.
EU3_1244.jpg

We declare war on Bihar as well - there are no big stacks left and the vassals will mop up the little resistance that is left.
EU3_1247.jpg

1636-1641 : Asia or Bust (2)

We also claim the core we had on Ohio.
EU3_1248.jpg

The truce with the Ming has expired and we declare war on them as well. There is no more crusade against them and this time we call for a crusade against Bihar.
The most annoying thing in this war is Ryukyu occupying Nanjing. Ming had conveniently moved the capital to Bejing and we could have taken Nanjing in this war, but no, Ryukyu occupies it!
EU3_1253.jpg

So we just get a couple of coastal provinces. We have still two wars with the Mings till 1650. Next time, don't call allies to arms.
EU3_1254.jpg

Portugal is also at war with Bihar. That is not allowed ! Portugal was the next in line anyway, so we declare war on them.
EU3_1256.jpg

The Huron declared war on us, but it's not a problem. There are some naval engagements with Portugal, but most important, we can kick them out of Bihar.
EU3_1261.jpg

We follow them in Telingana and we rout them.
EU3_1263.jpg

We peace Astrakhan and we make them release Crimea and Zaporozhe. Persia has to cede three provinces.
EU3_1265.jpg

We declare war on Ayutta and Pattain to claim our cores. We peace Iraq for several provinces.
EU3_1272.jpg

So this is the situation in July 1639.
EU3_1273.jpg

Meanwhile, we invade Portugal as well.
EU3_1275.jpg

The main stacks meet in Lisboa.
EU3_1286.jpg

Regrettably, we are close to the BB limit again and we can only dismember Bihar now and make it more digestible - our goal is the COT in the capital.
EU3_1290.jpg

We claim the core Perak from Pattani and therefore we fulfill our mission.
EU3_1293.jpg

We then have to blockade Orkney, who belongs to Portugal. After that we have to break the blockade at Whangarei, there are pirates there.
Ayutthaya cedes our core Werrshan.
EU3_1297.jpg

Istria becomes Lombard. We also occupy Swampy Cree, a Portuguese colony.
EU3_1303.jpg

Europe in September 1640
EU3_1304.jpg

And Portugal, fully occupied.
EU3_1305.jpg

Portugal has to release Castille and cede Swampy Cree in September 1640.
EU3_1306.jpg

Meanwhile, another mission is fulfilled : colonize Aleut.
EU3_1309.jpg

The next mission will be conquer Trebizon.
EU3_1310.jpg

1641-1645 : Asia or Bust (3)

Meanwhile, we have managed to make some progress against the Hordes. Two provinces defected to us.
EU3_1315.jpg

Europe in November 1641-
EU3_1316.jpg

In February 1642, Khiva defects to us as well.
EU3_1318.jpg

To get rid of some infamy, we release Gakwar. I release countries whose provinces are already converted now, so that they are Catholic.
EU3_1321.jpg

Castille breaks alliance with us and soon allies with Portugal. We get a call to arms from Crimea against Trebizon that we ignore, losing 25 prestige - they caught us without diplomats. We gain 1 narrowminded. In march 1943, we declare war on Trebizon and quickly occupy it.
EU3_1328.jpg

In May 1643, we declare war on the Mameluks. In August 1643, we can annex Trebizond for 5 infamy - not sure if it is a good deal. But missions are missions.
EU3_1333.jpg

The truce with the Mings has expired and we declare war on them too. In November 1643, the Mameluks are annexed.
EU3_1339.jpg

Of course, we get overextension. In March 1644, we peace the Ming. This time, we are just happy with Nanjing. So we now have all of the three Chinese COTs.
EU3_1343.jpg

EU3_1344.jpg

In April 1644, we declare war on Persia. Ah, yes, we had declared war on Yemen too and we annex it in May 1644.
EU3_1347.jpg

In October 1644, we declare war on Iraq. Meanwhile, we accomplish our mission, colonize Kamikawa. We colonized the whole island, while we were at it.
EU3_1353.jpg

The next mission is "Convert Bavaria", which I cancel. The next mission will be "Colonize the Kurils". We peace persia for a province and we make them release Timurids and Khorasan, so that in the next war Persia will be annexed - only two provinces left.
EU3_1358.jpg

It is worth noting that Venice is technologically up to date. We are now using Gustavian Infantry and Gallop Cavalry.
EU3_1360.jpg

And income is now solidly over 20k ducats, although one should not forget overextension.
EU3_1361.jpg

In January 1645, we declare war on Bihar and Gondwana. It dawns on us that this will be the last war with them before 1650.
EU3_1364.jpg

We white peace Oman. In April 1645, we can annex Gondwana - that we will release as soon it is converted, along with the other province Bastar.
EU3_1374.jpg

Situation in June 1645
EU3_1377.jpg

The Songhai declared war on us as well. We have no problems dealing with that.
EU3_1382.jpg

In October 1645, we can peace Iraq. I am not sure when exactly the Holy war CB ends and whether I will have a chance to annex Iraq before that.
EU3_1383.jpg

So this is the overall situation in November 1645.
EU3_1384.jpg

Meanwhile, we are also colonizing the Kazakh.
EU3_1386.jpg

Holy War CB ends at the start of 1650 but if you've declared war using it before then you can make peace with after that date.

Holy War CB ends at the start of 1650 but if you've declared war using it before then you can make peace with after that date.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to know.

1645-1646 : Asia or Bust (3b)

By June 1646, the last of the provinces we were colonizing in the Kazakh defects to us.
EU3_1391.jpg

So we peace the Kazakh. Our income peaks at 23188 ducats a year. We then peace the Bihar in November 1646 - they cede three provinces. We will need to find a CB to vassalize them after 1650.
EU3_1398.jpg

So this is it for now. Next update in a week. Meanwhile I need to make up my mind as to what vassal to release for the last sprint. Candar, the Haasa, Iraq and Persia need not to exist after 1650 at the very least.

As of now I am planning to release Qara Koyunlu - that would also kill overextension. Alternative, Rajputana in India is also fully converted, but that would block three provinces and not kill overextension.

I am also considering diplo-annexing Naples and changing government to Republican Dictatorship (for Imperialism CB). But we'll see next week.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, some images showing the status of the world on the 3rd November 1646

EU3_MAP_VEN_1646.11.3_1.jpg

EU3_MAP_VEN_1646.11.3_3.jpg

EU3_1401.jpg

EU3_1402.jpg

EU3_1403.jpg

EU3_1404.jpg

EU3_1405.jpg

EU3_1406.jpg

EU3_1407.jpg

EU3_1408.jpg