• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your Latin Empire will convert with everything more or less in tact. The only appreciable difference will be that it won't be called "The Latin Empire".

Though, my understanding is that it's possible to edit the localization files (or something) and change your country's EU3 name. So, it may not transfer as The Latin Empire, but it can always be renamed to Latin Empire by the player.

Though, my understanding is that it's possible to edit the localization files (or something) and change your country's EU3 name. So, it may not transfer as The Latin Empire, but it can always be renamed to Latin Empire by the player.

Indeed, though at that point you'd probably just want to mod in a complete Latin Empire nation.

Indeed, though at that point you'd probably just want to mod in a complete Latin Empire nation.

So if a Latin Empire was modded into my EU3 game (say, made a one-province minor) when the converter comes out, my CK2 Latin Empire's position (all of Greece and Asia Minor) should carry over onto the Latin Empire EU3 tag once the save files convert?

So if a Latin Empire was modded into my EU3 game (say, made a one-province minor) when the converter comes out, my CK2 Latin Empire's position (all of Greece and Asia Minor) should carry over onto the Latin Empire EU3 tag once the save files convert?

Not unless you map it in the converter's files, except for if an enormous fluke occurs and the Latin Empire gets the Latin Empire tag out all the leftovers.

You wouldn't even have to give it territory, just create all the appropriate country resources. And then, as tamius23 pointed out, update the converter's mappings to include the new nation. Which is easy enough to do.

And in the end, I imagine someone will create a mod for EU3 that makes the conversion happen more cleanly, as was done for the EU3 to V2 converter.

I've almost got DasGuntLord01's idea for converting advisers implemented. I'm able to output advisers to the EU3 provinces they inhabit in CK2, and you can see everything looking good in the save. But when you load up the save, the advisers are nowhere to be found. I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Converted save.

Investigating.

EDIT: That link is for 0.2G of the converter, and not the save. Is that intentional?

EDIT EDIT: Perusing an EU3 save game for all advisor entries.

1) Province history files contain advisor data, like so:

Code:
		1399.10.14=
		{
			advisor=
			{
				name="Nils Brahe"
				type=inquisitor
				skill=1
				location=1
				home="SWE"
				date="1399.10.14"
				hire_date="1.1.1"
				move=0
				id=
				{
					id=1424
					type=39
				}
			}
		}

2) Nation entries list which advisers are currently employed, by id. (I think).

Code:
	advisor=
	{
		id=384
		type=39
	}
	advisor=
	{
		id=383
		type=39
	}

3) Lastly, active advisors (after the nation entries). Appears to list currently available advisers by tech group minus those advisers that are already employed.

Code:
active_advisors=
{
	notechgroup=
	{
	}
	nomad_group=
	{
		advisor=
		{
			id=1270
			type=39
		}
        }
        western=
	{
		advisor=
		{
			id=1295
			type=39
		}
        }

... and so on for "eastern", "ottoman", "muslim", "indian", "chinese", "sub_saharan", and "new_world".

This means that we need to determine tech group first, (though we can use the stand in "notechgroup" for now), and then assign our created advisers accordingly.

Last edited:
That wasn't intentional, I must have grabbed the wrong sourceforge link.

And I missed the active advisors section. Easy enough to add.

And with that, advisors appear! Though there don't seem to be as many as I would expect. Odd. There should be five per nation. Edit: Also, sometimes what seems to be the same advisor is repeated. I've some debugging to do.

Anyways, I want to incorporate Sanevin's idea of increasing the variety of advisor types. Perhaps we could use assigned job action to determine which type they become?

For the record, skill level is determined by dividing the relevant stat by four (any fractional value is truncated).

Last edited:
Anyways, I want to incorporate Sanevin's idea of increasing the variety of advisor types. Perhaps we could use assigned job action to determine which type they become?

Well, I agree that It shouldn't be random. Using their current mission seems like as good an idea as any, including no mission (in which case they might become the default).

So:

Chancellor: Statesman
Improve Relations: Diplomat
Fabricate Claims: ?
Sow Dissent: ?

Marshal: Grand Captain
Suppress Revolts: High Judge
Train Troops: Army Organiser?
Improve Military Tech: Army Reformer

Steward: ?
Collect Taxes: Sheriff
Oversee Construction: Natural Scientist
Improve Economy Tech: Treasurer

Spymaster: Spymaster
Uncover Plots: Spymaster
Build Spy Network: Spymaster
Study Technology: Spymaster?

Court Chaplain: ?
Head Inquisition: Inquisitor
Research Cultural Tech: Statesman
Improve Religious Relations: Diplomat

Apparently it's hard to get the heir of a person who doesn't exist (namely, the King of Sicily in this save). Bug fixed, and I've added your save to our test suite as Tripolitania1447_01_26.

I can't seem to load England1430_01_15.ck2 in 1.05e. Is this just me, or does everyone have this happen? If the latter, I'm going to remove it from our test suite, as it's not useful if we can't compare pre-converted and post-converted games.

I can't seem to load England1430_01_15.ck2 in 1.05e. Is this just me, or does everyone have this happen? If the latter, I'm going to remove it from our test suite, as it's not useful if we can't compare pre-converted and post-converted games.

It doesn't work for me either. Empty world.

Question about German culture: Are you going to divide it up at all? In EU3, of course, there are several varieties of the German nationality, though in CK2, there's only the one. Provided you ignore Dutch, that is.

Also, will countries take as their main culture the culture of their ruler at the time? In most of my games, while Bohemia itself stays Bohemian culturally, while its king is almost always German. Taking German as the primary culture for Bohemia in EU3 doesn't seem right to me.

Finally, do you still need saves?

Question about German culture: Are you going to divide it up at all? In EU3, of course, there are several varieties of the German nationality, though in CK2, there's only the one. Provided you ignore Dutch, that is.

Yes, we'll be able to use country or other factors to divide the cultures.

Also, will countries take as their main culture the culture of their ruler at the time? In most of my games, while Bohemia itself stays Bohemian culturally, while its king is almost always German. Taking German as the primary culture for Bohemia in EU3 doesn't seem right to me.

We hadn't discussed that yet. That'd be the easiest method, though I agree it doesn't quite seem right. On the other hand, you do have the option of changing culture in EU3 if the majority of the country is a different culture along with your capital. That might suffice to handle the situation.

Finally, do you still need saves?

Absolutely, especially since most of our saves are from earlier versions of CK2. We need a mix.

'Twas the same problem (apparently a 1.05 issue). Which means it's already fixed, just not released.

Edit: We get a new problem, too. 1.05 leaves a lot of defunct titles around, which the converter interprets as independent titles, which means there are too many titles to convert. I'll have to add in a step of removing titles that no-one holds from consideration.

Last edited:
'Twas the same problem (apparently a 1.05 issue). Which means it's already fixed, just not released.

Edit: We get a new problem, too. 1.05 leaves a lot of defunct titles around, which the converter interprets as independent titles, which means there are too many titles to convert. I'll have to add in a step of removing titles that no-one holds from consideration.

I'm looking forward to a release! :D

I'm looking forward to a release! :D

Soon, soon. Advisors was way more work than I had expected, and I still want to add in my model of advisor conversion so we can compare models.

And I should resolve the too many titles problem right away.

And I ultimately still need to put in gavelkind succession. (then we can bug fix while I figure out turkish succession).