• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should GB and the Netherlands join forces you will have quite a challenge to your supremacy.

Nice going though.

1555-1557 : The conquest of Gaza and Berbera

In South America, we keep on colonizing.
EU3_1467.jpg

And we keep on converting the protestant provinces in the new world.
EU3_1470.jpg

Our next target will be the COT in Berbera, since we would like to get the bonus in Global Tariffs. War is declared on Adal.
EU3_1476.jpg

We advance without problems into Adal territory.
EU3_1481.jpg

Also in North America we keep on colonizing.
EU3_1482.jpg

Technologically we are doing ok, considering our size.
EU3_1484.jpg

This is our advisor dream team in October 1556. Without spending culture.
EU3_1485.jpg

Berbera falls in November 1556.
EU3_1487.jpg

Since the war with Adal is boring, I declare war on Spain as well. Our war objective will be Gaza. We'll try a Blitzkrieg.
EU3_1489.jpg

We engage them in the Mozambique channel.
EU3_1490.jpg

We quickly assaulted Gaza and the blockade on Spain and Portugal convinces them to cede the province. That was a successful two-month Blitzkrieg. Gaza is ours.
EU3_1500.jpg

We declare war on the Cherokee and the Huron then, while our sieges in Adal go on.
EU3_1504.jpg

EU3_1506.jpg

In June 1557, after advancing on all fronts, we expand our influence on our future vassal Transylvania.
EU3_1511.jpg

Adal has to cede Zeila and Berbera...
EU3_1513.jpg

Because we were near our infamy limit, we could get one province from the Cherokee/Huron.
EU3_1517.jpg

In September 1557, the "Trading in slaves" bonus kicked in.
EU3_1520.jpg

We lost our colony to the Huron! How dumb.
EU3_1519.jpg

We have to spend infamy to restore the status quo.
EU3_1521.jpg

We get most of our income from tariffs now.
EU3_1523.jpg

After news of the conquest of Berbera reached Venice, there was a lot of soul-searching in the Council of Ten. Venice was now a major trader in slaves. Many questioned whether it was actually making any sense that Venice was sticking to a low-infamy policy. Our holier-than-thou attitude wasn't considered sincere by most of the world, they actually felt more humiliated when we didn't get all we could get in the peace treaties. Everybody in the world believed we were the baddies, we might actually begin to act like the baddies as well.
The council of the Ten decided that the matter should be submitted for voting to the Senate.

Last edited:
Should GB and the Netherlands join forces you will have quite a challenge to your supremacy.

Nice going though.

Thx, It might actually happen, they are both Reformed.

1558-1560 : War declared on the Big V and Transylvania

A new doge is elected.
EU3_1531.jpg

Regrettably new COTs have opened in Europe and the influence of our trade league has shrunk.
EU3_1538.jpg

But no other country comes even near Venice's income anyway. And in Venice, it's all about the money, the Schei.
EU3_1540.jpg

Our army is over 300k soldiers.
EU3_1541.jpg

There is a phony war against the Horde, and after Moldawia peaced them, we had an opportunity to occupy Bulgaria, but Bulgaria ( the country) will reach the province sooner, so we give up.
EU3_1543.jpg

We have 6 cardinals and 22% probability the next one will come from Venice ! Our main concurrent, Spain, has a very bad relation with the Papal State, since the Pope fought with them a lot, being our vassal.
EU3_1546.jpg

But enough showing off. The British are STILL at war with the big V and have actually managed landing in India and occupying some provinces.
EU3_1550.jpg

And a great event hits us. Gift to the state. We gain 3058 ducats. Which means we could actually manage to pay that loan.
EU3_1551.jpg

We take a leaf out of the AI's book and recruit a general, we would waste military tradition anyway being at peace.
EU3_1555.jpg

We can soon declare war on Transylvania. Transylvania is allied to Austria, who is allied to Bavaria, who is allied to the Netherlands. We send a spy there.
EU3_1565.jpg

And we can pay back our loan.
EU3_1569.jpg

In May 1560, we declare war on the big V.
EU3_1571.jpg

Meanwhile, the big V cedes two provinces to Great Britain. We still have no direct border with Great Britain.
EU3_1573.jpg

The time to subjugate Transylvania has come. As a preventive measure we position our fleets for a blockade on the Netherlands's ports. This time we have troops in Europe and we will fight for real. We declare war on Transylvania.
EU3_1574.jpg

1560-1562 : The vassalization of Transylvania and a smaller V.

Austria declares war on us, but nobody else.
EU3_1575.jpg

Austrian troops engage us in Steiermark
EU3_1582.jpg

And we rout the Transylvanians, while some troops march into Transylvania.
EU3_1585.jpg

We defeat the Austrians in Linz.
Meanwhile, I accidentally take a loan, but it's all good, I will "power level" to Gov Tech 22.
EU3_1591.jpg

Also in India we do Ok
EU3_1592.jpg

and we reengage in Wien.
EU3_1593.jpg

We add Sardinia to our sphere of influence and we vassalize Transylvania.
EU3_1599.jpg

Our next mission is to improve relations with Naples. We find out Transylvania is in Hansa's league, we forgot to make them enter our league in the peace treaty.
EU3_1602.jpg

We then have to improve relations with Siena and then we are asked to found a colony in Mosquito. Meanwhile the war in India goes on.
EU3_1605.jpg

We are pissed off at the Hansa, so we declare war on them.
EU3_1607.jpg

And we destroy their fleet in Öresund.
EU3_1611.jpg

But they have a 17k stack and our vassals have smaller stacks so we peace them.
EU3_1613.jpg

The Hansa has lost prestige so Transylvania joins our trade league.
EU3_1616.jpg

Mosquito is colonized in December 1561 and then we have to colonize Kalapuya.
EU3_1618.jpg

Our next doge is a very good diplomat.
EU3_1622.jpg

In January 1562, peace is made in India as well. Big V cedes a province and releases Deccan.
EU3_1623.jpg

We buy some trade rights from Deccan.
EU3_1628.jpg

Last edited:
1562-1564 : Crusade against Syria and Ayutthaya

One of the things on our todo list is extend our holdings in the Middle East. Syria is our enemy now and so we declare an holy war on them. A crusade has even been called against Syria. Only Morocco helps them.
EU3_1633.jpg

The Crusader modifier kicks in. The second entry in our todo list is conquer Malacca. We declare war on the country which is occupying it, Ayutthaya. Meanwhile we beat the Syrians in Judea.
EU3_1637.jpg

We rout the Syrian army in Sidon and the war goes on as planned. And we engage Ayutthaya's fleet in the Malacca.
EU3_1643.jpg

Kalapuya is successfully colonized. We then have to colonize Maguindanao.
EU3_1646.jpg

As we easily advance into Syria, Sokoto joins the war.
EU3_1651.jpg

Meanwhile we have brought some troops to Indonesia.
EU3_1655.jpg

In April 1563 we can move a slider and we go Plutocracy.
EU3_1659.jpg

In May 1563, Gov Tech 22 is researched. I had (actually accidentally) taken a loan to power level to this Government Technology. I will choose viceroys, to maximize Tariffs income.
EU3_1664.jpg

With Viceroys, Tariffs now bring 237 ducats a month. The loan interests weigh less.
EU3_1678.jpg

Morocco was also in the war and Marrakech falls.
EU3_1681.jpg

After adding Provence (again) to our sphere influence, we begin sueing our enemies for peace. First Morocco is peaced. Meanwhile the Reichsreform is passed.
EU3_1685.jpg

In February 1564, Syria is helpless.
EU3_1693.jpg

After getting the coastal provinces from Syria, we get the "Trading in Naval Supplies" bonus, which is very useful since we are chronically over our Naval Forcelimits Modifier.

EU3_1695.jpg

So this is the situation after the war in the Eastern Mediterranean. A long term goal will be connecting our provinces in the Middle East with the Balkans.
EU3_1697.jpg

In March 1564, Maguindanao is successfully colonized.
EU3_1698.jpg

The next mission is pretty weird, "Convert Tirol". I am not sure how to do this. Tirol is my vassal.
EU3_1699.jpg

Sokoto is peaced and one war finishes. Spain claims the title of DoTF, which I probably lost because I white peaced in a war where I was aggressor (against the Hansa). It is time to peace the Ayutthaya as well.
EU3_1703.jpg

We have now another COT, Malacca.
EU3_1705.jpg

Situation in Asia in April 1564
EU3_1707.jpg

that mission doesn't make much sense to me - you can try enforcing religious unity on HRE members if you are the (Catholic) Emperor but Venice is a republic so... the situation is tricky at least.

IMO, God's will is clear. Thy shant giveth protection to haeretics. Relese these warlocks & apostites from thy vassalige and bring the redeming flames of justice to their lair, forcing convertion and vassalige once again. Deus Vult!

I allowed myself a test run. I canceled the vasselage and the alliance with Tirol, so that I could declare war on them and force the Catholic religion on them. But I found out I had no Casus Belli to do that ! Also, Vassalizing Tirol again right after the war would cost me 4 infamy, and the mission gives me just -2 infamy. So 2 infamy more just to restore the status quo, not to mention the stability hits. Tirol may also end up as a crippled state, since the AI doesn't necessarily converts the provinces who have the wrong religion.
If I diplo-annex Tirol, the mission is FAILED. But that is probably what I will do, I don't like this mission. Fail > Cancel. But that also means I will have to leave the HRE.

You have a DIP 9 Doge and low infamy.Boundary disputes oughts to be popping up all over the place. One of them may be on the Tyrol -that will give you a Reconquest CB to use. Then, when you next at war with a bunch of states and there's a minor you don't or can't anything from, offer peace with them to end vassilization of Tirol. Just remember not to be building colonies in Horde lands atthe time, because your "losing" a war automatically end the war with the Horde and you'd lose all colonies established. Tirol would still be allied, but would probably dishonour a call, enabling you to go to war with them and force convert. The reconquest would gain a province. You'll lose the DotF, if you have it.

Leaving the HRE looks like a good idea and remove all the provinces you have in the HRE you before you get stab hit to -3 from the Emperor trying to recover Imperial territory.

You've enough missionaries to put in the provinces you recently took from Syria to convert them.

I think I'd diploannex Naples next because it doesn't add to the provinces inside the HRE and adds a core province already.

The fact that GB has taken Vijayanagar provinces means GB is back. Venice is growing. The Americas for Venetians only is spoilt by that ugly colour in Trinidad and Bahamas, which disturbs the tranquil Venetian colour.

Hi everybody, thank you for the feedback.

You have a DIP 9 Doge and low infamy.Boundary disputes oughts to be popping up all over the place. One of them may be on the Tyrol -that will give you a Reconquest CB to use. Then, when you next at war with a bunch of states and there's a minor you don't or can't anything from, offer peace with them to end vassilization of Tirol. Just remember not to be building colonies in Horde lands atthe time, because your "losing" a war automatically end the war with the Horde and you'd lose all colonies established. Tirol would still be allied, but would probably dishonour a call, enabling you to go to war with them and force convert. The reconquest would gain a province. You'll lose the DotF, if you have it.

True, this would definitely work. I could get an Alliance CB on Tyrol and force-convert them. Or wait for a core on Trent, but it could never come.
Regrettably, I consider this mission flawed because it doesn't give me a CB and in the end makes my empire weaker - I must give up a vassal. Instead, I will diplo-annex Tyrol and send missionaries to the provinces - they will become Catholic and I will consider the mission accomplished, even if the game will tell me it is FAILED. And the mission won't come back.

I am actually planning to diplo-annex Styria - I have a core on Graz who will go away eventually, unlike the core on Abruzzo. And I will remove an heretic vassal, so I won't get this stupid mission on them.

I think I have already sent missionaries to Syria - if not, it is because I am building level 2 forts there first.
I don't uncored HRE provinces atm, but if I diplo-annex Tyrol, I will. And in my test run I found out I can't remove provinces from the HRE if I am in the empire, so I will have to leave it.

Since you can only diplo-annex one vassal every ten years, diploannexing Styria as a heretic province would make sense. So too does leaving the HRE. Lvl 2 forts would tend to trump sending missionaries. For some wierd reason in games I've had, missionaries succeed much quicker in new provinces than old, where it could take upwards of 20 years to convert, the new ones convert quickly. I think my quickest was a week and I was stunned. Fort 2 helps conversion chances so your way is most likely better over time.

Pity you've lost the Holy War CB.

You could diplo-annex and then release, if you just want to get around cancelling that mission. . .

That would be the same as cancelling it. I could get the mission again, and that is what I want to avoid. Also, I want to accomplish the mission somehow, so Tyrol WILL be Catholic - under direct Venice rule.
Annexing, sending missionaries and then releasing doesn't work - the AI cancels the missionaries.

1564-1568 : Diplo-annexation of Tyrol and monetary reforms

In June 1564, after sending some merchants to Malacca, a couple of nice-to-have bonuses kick in.
EU3_1713.jpg

Through an event I gain 1 Mercantilism. Meanwhile our conversions go on as planned.
EU3_1718.jpg

We spend 724 ducats on the "Commedia dell'Arte'.
As I explained before, I am planning to diplo-annex Tyrol to FAIL my mission, but to keep the provinces without becoming "unlawful" I have to leave the HRE first.
EU3_1743.jpg

Now, all of my provinces are outside the HRE. It would actually be better if the HRE didn't exist at all.
Tirol is diplo-annexed in March 1565.
EU3_1746.jpg

Shortly after that I get notified that the mission (Convert Tyrol to Catholicism) is failed. Next mission will be securing 5 trade rights. But I send missionaries to the Tyrolean provinces, so they will be Catholics after all.
Of course, Trent and Tyrol have to leave the HRE as well.
EU3_1748.jpg

So this is Europe in March 1563
EU3_1750.jpg

And this is the religious map. My vassals Styria and Augsburg are also of the "wrong" religion. For some weird reason there is an Orthodox province in Württemberg.
EU3_1751.jpg

Meanwhile, Osjek had cored (I had built an embassy there) and I build a new embassy in Aleppo. Time flies.
EU3_1757.jpg

While securing trade rights for Salt from Granada I get another nice-to-have modifier.
EU3_1760.jpg

In August 1565, 5 trade rights are secured, and the prize is a booming economy! I get the next mission - build a Textile Manufactory in Slavonia. The prize is useless (a 4-star philosopher) but fulfilling the mission won't make Venice weaker at least.
EU3_1762.jpg

We don't have enough money, so we take a loan. We will use it to build the manufactory and to repay the other upcoming loan. The manufactory is queued. And for five years, I don't have to think about fulfilling missions.
EU3_1766.jpg

So this is our income when the economy is booming - The Netherlands now being the second biggest economy.
EU3_1769.jpg

Our doge is reelected. Meanwhile we deal with the pirates in the Pacific at last - where we founded the colonies Kalapuya ( mission) and Poma ( to remove the "no near colony" penalty). In Poma there is gold, btw.
EU3_1779.jpg

In April 1566, we get a Border Friction CB on Bavaria.
EU3_1781.jpg

That is an opportunity to attack the evil empire. But Bavaria is allied to the Netherlands and Austria - not to mention the emperor. This is not a war I can just jump in.
But in September 1566, I need to enact monetary reforms and lose 2 stability - so the war will be put off.
EU3_1788.jpg

Our national focus is moved back to Treviso. Meanwhile, we go on buying trade rights, while investing on Stability.
EU3_1794.jpg

Buy June 1567, Trent and Tyrol have become Catholic. Mission accomplished - although not for the game.
EU3_1795.jpg

In December 1567, Portugal colonizes an island on my border in America and gives me a casus belli. A Spain province is in the fog of war and there is also a "British North America"
EU3_1798.jpg

I get called to arms by Deccan to a war against the big V - I declare a Holy war against them.
This is the situation in India in January 1568.
EU3_1802.jpg

Regrettably, as we get back to +3 stability, we find out we lost our CB against Bavaria - it is a temporary CB. So we go back to our old enemy -Spain.
In February 1568, we declare war on Portugal and Spain - as usual, colonialism casus belli. This time we do not call all our allies to arms automatically, because I want to keep Navarra out of this war.
EU3_1805.jpg

Last edited:
For some weird reason there is an Orthodox province in Württemberg.

I believe the AI moves its slider towards narrowminded sometimes which could have caused that. I always seem to have one or two Orthodox provinces (or even countries) in the HRE in my games.

Pitty about your new mission, I absolutelly hated them before I knew how to mod game files. Since you descided that it would be cheating, enjoy the reoccuring 5-year breaks from doing anything usefull with the mission system :(

Pitty about your new mission, I absolutelly hated them before I knew how to mod game files. Since you descided that it would be cheating, enjoy the reoccuring 5-year breaks from doing anything usefull with the mission system :(

I know :( But if I modded the game, I couldn't claim I am making a Vanilla 5.1 DW AAR. Building manufactories isn't that bad, it's just the prize that is useless (4-star philosopher ?)

The recurring wars implied that it wouldn't be possible in the long term to avoid accumulating infamy. Moreover, God's will made us clear that manufactories will have to be built in the future and it might not be in Venice's interests staying a Merchant Republic forever.

After long discussion, the Senate decided following changes in Venice's policy, which will apply from now on

- Venice's reputation cannot be worse than tarnished
- Venice must be a republic

Last edited: