• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@zonkie:

I am not sure whether it's compatible with CK2plus. I believe CK2plus changes some of the files this mod changes so, I am unsure what the consequences will be starting a game with CK2plus and this mod. I just tried to see wether I can start a game with both CK2Plus and this mod and the game started... but I'm sure some things are not as they should be. :D It would probably take some work to make this 100% compatible with CK2plus.

@9HK4

Thanks for showing me that mate! That's one brilliantly clever little piece of coding. Add NOT = { in_command = yes } in the right spot and voila! hehehe. I might implement something like that in the future, (going to talk to Marconius about it hehehe) problem is portrait_properties.gfx and the way it messes up dna (when it SHOULD NOT :D) is the bane of my existence :D so i'm being extra careful about what I do with it.

VERSION 2a posted!

This new version is called 2 for a reason :D After reworking portrait_properties.gfx I am finally quite satisfied with the results. Generation of characters via cultural stereotypes has never been better. :D This will still cause minor randomization issues in some of the scenario starting dna-ed characters, but it seems to be a non-issue with this version given the new cultural rules will result in good portraits anyway if something happens. :happy:

Any feedback/suggestions/information will be greatly appreciated!

Hi, is it possible to add orthodox and catholic cloth and headgear for arab and altaic culture group?

i hope you can add it at the next version :).

Thanks for your mod!

@sirandre:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it :). I was thinking about some changes in that aspect, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

@Vindahl

Well mate, I think my first two posts explain what this mod does/attempts to do. :) But to summarize: it gives dna to 99% of landed characters (exceptions found in France/HRE area) so they look closer to a realistic look, that means historical/cultural stereotype or in some cases more like the real person did according to information of them that has come to us... so as I said in my 2nd post Eustache de Boulogne for example should sport a moustache and look like a northern frankish noble as he should etc... The mod also generates new characters according to cultural stereotypes, so if a culture like say Normans were cleanshaven, newly generated Normans will be cleanshaven...or if a culture had beards as a rule, they should obviously have beards etc... The mod does other things as well, mostly to improve realism and character looks and has integrated graphical changes from other works... so you can for example notice orthodox priestly headgear on orthodox priests (trovador and thrashing mad did a great job on that) and there's also graphical changes done to pagans/turks/africans as seen in peuri's work.

But anyway if you want to see the difference quickly just boot up a game with vanilla look at scandinavian nobles and byzantine nobles then load a game with this mod and see the difference.

@Vindahl

Well mate, I think my first two posts explain what this mod does/attempts to do. :) But to summarize: it gives dna to 99% of landed characters (exceptions found in France/HRE area) so they look closer to a realistic look, that means historical/cultural stereotype or in some cases more like the real person did according to information of them that has come to us... so as I said in my 2nd post Eustache de Boulogne for example should sport a moustache and look like a northern frankish noble as he should etc... The mod also generates new characters according to cultural stereotypes, so if a culture like say Normans were cleanshaven, newly generated Normans will be cleanshaven...or if a culture had beards as a rule, they should obviously have beards etc... The mod does other things as well, mostly to improve realism and character looks and has integrated graphical changes from other works... so you can for example notice orthodox priestly headgear on orthodox priests (trovador and thrashing mad did a great job on that) and there's also graphical changes done to pagans/turks/africans as seen in peuri's work.

But anyway if you want to see the difference quickly just boot up a game with vanilla look at scandinavian nobles and byzantine nobles then load a game with this mod and see the difference.

Thanks for your reply, but I still don't understand quite what you mean...
You say you give them DNA? But doent they already have DNA? Isn't that what defines how they look?

Aren't there then a risk that we get a whole court of people who look alike, all with the same hair f.ex?

If I was to try it out, how does it then interact with the Mongolface DLC?

Sorry for my stupid questions btw, I know you might have tried to explain in the first two posts, I just don't quite understand a few things...

The characters you see in 1066 scenario when beggining a new game are randomly generated by the game with a couple exceptions (like Harold or William), and since their DNA is generated by the game they can look slightly different on restarts(whenever you want to start a new game), and the standard generation rules do not reflect historical/cultural realism. If you look at vannilla history files where the characters are stored you will see that they do not have dna.(there's maybe like 5-6 characters in all of the history files with individualized dna? or thereabouts :)) The standard generated landed characters in 1066 scenario are a bit of a letdown imho, for example where are those vaunted Scandinavian blondes? :)

Also when generating new characters (via intrigue invite to court options for example) the standard rules the game uses result in characters that don't look as their culture should, so for example you'll see a lot of cleanshaven Byzantines etc...(cleanshaven characters are given huge priority by standard game, when in reality majority of cultures in the game should have beards for one)

Characters will not look alike mate - do not worry about that. :D There will be cultural similarities, such as saxons sporting more moustaches etc, but no they will not look alike. Just try it and see for yourself. It should also work with Mongol DLC just fine.

Last edited:
The characters you see in 1066 scenario when beggining a new game are randomly generated by the game with a couple exceptions (like Harold or William), and since their DNA is generated by the game they can look slightly different on restarts(whenever you want to start a new game), and the standard generation rules do not reflect historical/cultural realism. If you look at vannilla history files where the characters are stored you will see that they do not have dna.(there's maybe like 5-6 characters in all of the history files with individualized dna? or thereabouts :)) The standard generated landed characters in 1066 scenario are a bit of a letdown imho, for example where are those vaunted Scandinavian blondes? :)

Also when generating new characters (via intrigue invite to court options for example) the standard rules the game uses result in characters that don't look as their culture should, so for example you'll see a lot of cleanshaven Byzantines etc...(cleanshaven characters are given huge priority by standard game, when in reality majority of cultures in the game should have beards for one)

Characters will not look alike mate - do not worry about that. :D There will be cultural similarities, such as saxons sporting more moustaches etc, but no they will not look alike. Just try it and see for yourself. It should also work with Mongol DLC just fine.

Well, it sound rather intriguing now...
I have noticed that many characters shift portraits, from game to game, but I never saw it as a problem!
I also assumed that there already was Cultural differences...? That orthodox people look one way, muslims another, and scandinavians a third... But it sounds interesting, and I think I will try it out and try to spot the changes...
I just thought that this mod made new or different looking characters, just like the Mongol-DLC, and therefore I couldn't see that those portraits you showed looked any different than mine!

Thank you very much for your clean explanation, helped a lot... Great service... :)

@Vindahl

Well mate, I hope you try and enjoy it! :D I know I should have posted a better screenshot but I was very busy working on dna and stuff hehehehe. I'll try to slightly rectify that mistake, added a new screenshot now, with an orthodox bishop and cuman noble added for more graphical variety. :D

@9HK4

Lol 9HK4, the last version added cultural rules for celts. :D They now sort of view cleanshaven faces as anathema, after all celtic nobility was known for its beards in 1066. :D Scots and Irish and co should sport a lot more errrr bush. :D There's going to be some cleanshaven ones because later pro-Norman Irish nobility for example started shaving as a political statement, but overall they no longer suffer from the no-beard syndrome of vanilla. :D

Last edited:
Been waiting long for a mod like this to be released! Is it compatible with CK2Plus?

no, it isn´t. but for personal use i made a BLC2a-adaption for ck2+1.05, so you can use the files from attachement. :D
imo it works fine and without any problems.

@Shaytana
if you want to make a full integration to ck2+, here are the changes i´ve done:
../common/*.*:
- imported the additional cultures from ck2+
- added the culturegroups from ck2+
- some small adaptions
.../interface/portrait_properties
- imported the additonal holy orders from ck2+
- some small adaptions

i´m not sure, if the additional cultures from ck2+ works in the best way - but for now: it works...

edit: and here is the first Hotfix for the adapted mod.
it was a little bit tricky, ´cause wiz and Shaytana uses different codecs with the same outcome and so, i was a little bit confused about some lines. :confused:
for correct working: download and unpack the big file first to the mod-directory. than overwrite the installed mod with the two files from the hotfix-file.

edit2: after updating the file at post 1 with the complete version, i removed the attachements.

Last edited:
@mate0815

Thanks for that file mate! I don't play CK2+ so I am unsure about it. :) I posted your file in the main post, maybe some people will try to use it. As far as I know CK2+ is very complex and ever evolving, so I'm unsure how much work would be needed to keep up with it hehehe, probably the best thing would be if CK2+ wanted to adapt some version of my mod to it, rather than me trying to adapt to it hehehe.

@repent

Oi! I'm glad you like it. :D Hopefully you've tried 2a, earlier versions didn't quite do it right imho. :) It's still a work in progress, and I await any feedback, I want to improve it as much as possible given game and knowledge limitations. :D

@sirandre:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll look into it :). I was thinking about some changes in that aspect, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

I think at the moment you can use the western catholic or orthodox headgear and mitre from Enchanted Portraits Mod. At least it's better than naked-turban priest. :laugh:

@mate0815
Thanks for that file mate! I don't play CK2+ so I am unsure about it. :) I posted your file in the main post, maybe some people will try to use it. As far as I know CK2+ is very complex and ever evolving, so I'm unsure how much work would be needed to keep up with it hehehe, probably the best thing would be if CK2+ wanted to adapt some version of my mod to it, rather than me trying to adapt to it hehehe.
if wiz include it to his mod, that´ll be the best way, sure. esp. to make it clear, which code will be the base for further adaptions. i was really confused by your differences with such lines as
factor=100 plus NOT = {content} (you)
factor= 0 plus {content} (wiz)
which should have the same outcome...

please, can you fix the file in post 1 with the hotfix i uploaded to my last post?

and a small feedback: i feel, that eastslavic are a little bit too "blondish"... first, i thought, there was a problem with my adaption, but at original 2a there are a lot of blonde and readhaired slavic rulers. should that be right?

@sirandre

If you mean for orthodox/catholic turkish priests then yes, that might probably be done in a future version. :D

@Syren

Hope you enjoy it. :D Still a WIP, hope it will get better, although the current version is in good shape i think.

@mate0815

I uploaded that hotfix in the first post.

On the East Slavic stuff... Well, I'll hold my hand up and say I'm no expert in Russian history (although I did take medieval Russian history in college and I'm not entirely clueless hehe) but let me summarize my reasoning. First of there's a lot of blondes in that part of the world even today (even with all the eastern dna coming through), but more importantly taking into account the Varangian element you would expect a high percentage of blondes during that period among the nobility. I made the reigning Rurikids blonde in honor of their Varangian ancestry, notice they are descended from Vladimir the Great(ruled 980-1015) aka Valdamarr Sveinaldsson :happy:. If you look at Iziaslav, Sviatoslav and Vsevold(reigning princes in game) you'll also notice their mother is Ingegerd Olofsdotter (daughter of king Olof of Sweden). Also part of my inspiration for designing the look of the Rurikids comes from this image of Vladimir:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/St._Volodymyr.jpg/212px-St._Volodymyr.jpg

Also just for fun, look at this famous Russian painting of Slavs inviting Varangians to come rule. Notice how a Russian painter thinks the East Slavs looked like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Варяги.jpg/800px-Варяги.jpg

Also look at this image of Yaroslav I Grand Prince of Kiev (the father of those reigning Rurikids in game I mentioned earlier), and keep in mind their mother is a Swedish princess:

http://www.boydhouse.com/alice/Green/yaroslav.jpg

Last edited:
On the East Slavic stuff... Well, I'll hold my hand up and say I'm no expert in Russian history (although I did take medieval Russian history in college and I'm not entirely clueless hehe) but let me summarize my reasoning. First of there's a lot of blondes in that part of the world even today (even with all the eastern dna coming through), but more importantly taking into account the Varangian element you would expect a high percentage of blondes during that period among the nobility. I made the reigning Rurikids blonde in honor of their Varangian ancestry, notice they are descended from Vladimir the Great(ruled 980-1015) aka Valdamarr Sveinaldsson :happy:. If you look at Iziaslav, Sviatoslav and Vsevold(reigning princes in game) you'll also notice their mother is Ingegerd Olofsdotter (daughter of king Olof of Sweden). Also part of my inspiration for designing the look of the Rurikids comes from this image of Vladimir:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/St._Volodymyr.jpg/212px-St._Volodymyr.jpg

Also just for fun, look at this famous Russian painting of Slavs inviting Varangians to come rule. Notice how a Russian painter thinks the East Slavs looked like.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/16/Варяги.jpg/800px-Варяги.jpg

Also look at this image of Yaroslav I Grand Prince of Kiev (the father of those reigning Rurikids in game I mentioned earlier), and keep in mind their mother is a Swedish princess:

http://www.boydhouse.com/alice/Green/yaroslav.jpg

ok, ok - a lot of arguments. so it must be later facts that today most of people i met in russia and other eastern slavic countries are more from the caucasian look. thx for make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.