• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Altough, seeing CrackdToothGrin's awesome art in this thread I think that his work will sooner or later throw my attempts to the garbage bin, I'll sill doodle around.

Thanks! Nothing wrong with tackling the portrait diversity with many options. People may like yours better than mine in the end. Best to give them a choice, haha.

I'm not sure. But unfortunately I think that it's not possible to add more frames to the headgear layer :/

You can, up to 26/27 frames. You just have to make sure to edit portraits.gfx and portrait_properties.txt to include it. In my original thread regarding the subject, the pictures I showed were from added frames, not from replacements or a new set. At that point, I hadn't figured out how to make a whole new set yet.

So I should just use the arab facial features and change the hue of the faces to a lighter one?

It depends on what you mean by "Persians," because there are a lot of different types in the area, from Gilaki, Azeris, Kurds, Baluchis, etc. Then, in northwestern Persia, you had alternating Kurds, Armenians, and Caucasus people who slowly mingled with Oghuz Turks to become Azeris, etc.

You can, up to 26/27 frames. You just have to make sure to edit portraits.gfx and portrait_properties.txt to include it. In my original thread regarding the subject, the pictures I showed were from added frames, not from replacements or a new set. At that point, I hadn't figured out how to make a whole new set yet.

Ok, good to know. Then we must have been doing something wrong before in the thread I posted about :)

It depends on what you mean by "Persians," because there are a lot of different types in the area, from Gilaki, Azeris, Kurds, Baluchis, etc. Then, in northwestern Persia, you had alternating Kurds, Armenians, and Caucasus people who slowly mingled with Oghuz Turks to become Azeris, etc.

Perhaps it would be better then to seperate some of the cultures? I don't know alot about defining characteristis about groups of people, and I haven't really the time to do more research, so I am very apprehensive about editing them anyway. I just felt that the cumans were wrongly being depiced as arabic, and someone suggested that turks should also use the cuman faces in another thread. And, well, the africans were quite easily thrown together with some hue changes.. :D

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be better then to seperate some of the cultures? I don't know alot about defining characteristis about groups of people, and I haven't really the time to do more research, so I am very apprehensive about editing them anyway. I just felt that the cumans were wrongly being depiced as arabic, and someone suggested that turks should also use the cuman faces in another thread. And, well, the africans were quite easily thrown together with some hue changes.. :D

You're bound to offend someone, that's for sure. :p The Cumans and Turks are a big improvement, as are the Ethiopians. Some of these "cultures" are a pretty diverse lot in terms of beliefs, traditions, genetics. I run into the same problem with the Muslims in North Africa and Iberia. Ultimately, just go with what you think is right, listen to people on your threads, and request them to upload what they think are the proper *.dds images and *.gfx images for you to include in your mod for the culture in question. You could finish a doctoral degree in Near Eastern Studies by the time you get all the research done. :rofl:

You're doing good work here.

Well, the definition of 'Azerbaijan' is literally the area south of the Araxes river, the area to the North is Arran, what was formerly known as 'Caucasian Albania'. Also there are the Talysh people of Azerbaijan, who are closely related to the Azaris and the Kurds. Kurds/Azaris should have lighter facial hue than the Persians (due to intermarriage with Assyrians and Armenians; even though the Azaris and other Northern Iranians such as Gilakis and Mazanderanis have Georgian ancestry), though. The vast majority of Azeris in Iran are linguistically Turkified native Iranians called the Azaris. Even though both Azeris and Persians are Iranic and should have similar facial features.

Berbers, do have some people who physically resemble Italians or Spaniards. The Tuareg to the south should have some Malian features due to cultural intermingling and assimilation of the Tuareg ikelan/elkan (slave) class.

Berbers, do have some people who physically resemble Italians or Spaniards. The Tuareg to the south should have some Malian features due to cultural intermingling and assimilation of the Tuareg ikelan/elkan (slave) class.

They are also really dark. Not black dark, but, like reddish tanned leather dark. The older ones sometimes have a 'shine' to them, from constant sun exposure and it makes the facial lines exaggerated.

I'll also add the unused western pagan clothes for ugricgfx cultures to add a bit of variety for the next version.
ugric.jpg

That man's headgear looks like the perfect crown for a pagan King of Pommerania :)

I'll also add the unused western pagan clothes for ugricgfx cultures to add a bit of variety for the next version.
ugric.jpg

These look like they'd be great for the more Germanic cultures (Norse and Saxon, mainly) as well.

These look like they'd be great for the more Germanic cultures (Norse and Saxon, mainly) as well.
How would you go about doing those cultures to make them look more unique? I've been trying to do a Norse culture and just can't figure out a good way to do them.

GREAT WORK! I've been working on something similar myself to add to my Better Looking Characters mod, but seeing yours has already done a lot of work, and you're saying we can use this, I've started work integrating it with my own mod for even better eyecandy. :D Credit will be given of course, hopefully between the character improvement mods present here CK2 will look fanbloodytastic. (Please tell me if you change your mind about using your work)

I found a bug with this and I really wish I'd taken a screenshot now -- it was the wife of the Emperor of Ethiopia and she had no face at all, it was just a black canvas with weird lines. It looked like a TV trying to find a signal.

I found a bug with this and I really wish I'd taken a screenshot now -- it was the wife of the Emperor of Ethiopia and she had no face at all, it was just a black canvas with weird lines. It looked like a TV trying to find a signal.

Are you sure you have the 0.2 version? In 0.1 there was a missing nose file for young east african females that caused every layer below the nose layer, including the nose layer, to be totally black.

I'm using this mod and looks like it's working fine, except for the helmets, I didn't see any of these but the vanilla...

I'll include some of them in the next version.

You have something about a modular file structure under the "in the next version" section. As a fellow modder, I'm curious what this covers...

What I meant by that is that I'll create seperate portrait.gfx files for the cultures for the next version, so the user can delete the ones he does not want to use. Another alternative would be to create seperate mods for the cultures, but that would clutter up the mod selection screen. Perhaps I was a bit ambiguous or used the word in incorrec context. :D

I think I have found a bug with your mod.
I am currently playing as the duke of Leinster, and every time he goes out commanding troops on the battlefield, his haircut changes. o_O
Then the haircut goes back to normal when the troops are dismissed.
I tried to load the game without your mod, and there is no problem.

I think I have found a bug with your mod.
I am currently playing as the duke of Leinster, and every time he goes out commanding troops on the battlefield, his haircut changes. o_O
Then the haircut goes back to normal when the troops are dismissed.
I tried to load the game without your mod, and there is no problem.

Interesting. Currently I can not fathom why this is happening, since I did not change textures for western people. I will investigate. Thanks for the report. :)