• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Peuri

First Lieutenant
62 Badges
Sep 26, 2006
  • Crusader Kings III
This little mod changes the portraits for cuman, pecheneg, turkish and african characters. You need the mongol faces DLC for this mod to work. This mod does not contain any graphical material from the DLC, it only uses those texture files if you have the DLC activated. The mod does not contain any new textures that did not exist in the vanilla already, I just slightly edited a few already existing textures. This mod is compatible with version 1.05c.

What the mod does:
-Mongol clothes and headgear for cumans and pechenegs
-Mongol/western face combinations for cumans, pechenegs and turks
-Muslim clothes and beards for turks
-Cheap new darker hued faces for african characters
-Muslim/western cloth and headgear combination for africans

Pictures:
African characters
africanpo.jpg

Cuman or pecheneg characters
cuman.jpg

Turkish characters
turkishs.jpg

Version info:
v0.2
-Fixes cuman male cheeks not connecting properly to the rest of the face and the upper cheeks having a sharp angle
v0.1
-Fixes the missing nose textures for young african females
-Slightly changed cuman female nose and eye texture to have a more darker hue

Download link:
In the attachment.

Compatibility:
This mod edits the following files:
cultures.txt
graphicalculturetype.txt
portraits.gfx
As such, it probably won't be compatible with other mods that edit those files. If you would like to combine it with a mod that edits those files, it is quite simple. First I would recommend making backups. Then all you need to do is add a line "cumangfx" into graphicalculturetype.txt. Then change "graphical_culture = muslimgf"x to "graphical_culture = turkishgfx" for turks, and "graphical_culture = cumangfx" for cumans and pechenegs and "graphical_culture = muslimgfx" to "graphical_culture = africangfx" for east_africans in culture.txt. To make portraits.gfx compatible copy
Code:
spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_africangfx_child_male"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_son_african.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}

spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_africangfx_child_female"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_daughter_african.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}

spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_turkishgfx_child_male"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_son.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}

spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_turkishgfx_child_female"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_daughter.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}
spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_cumangfx_child_male"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_son.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}

spriteType = {
		name = "PORTRAIT_cumangfx_child_female"
		texturefile = "gfx\\characters\\default_daughter.tga"
		noOfFrames = 1
		norefcount = yes
	}
below the other children and copy everything below
############## TURKS ##########################
from this mod's portraits.gfx into your own portraits.gfx. Remember to remove a "}" before, so that the new lines are inside the first brackets.
Now the mod should be compatible with other mods that edit the files mentioned above.

To other modders:
Feel free to use this mod in your own mods or mod compilations, as long as you drop the name of this mod somewhere in change log or something.

If you notice some oddities with the textures, please tell me about them so I can try to fix them.

In the next version:
-Cuman faces for Alans
-Unused western pagan clothes for ugric graphical culture
-New clothes and headgear for russians
-Modular file structure for cultures
-New faces for iberians and italians by James009

Credits to:
Cabezaestufa for talking about portrait.gfx graphicalcultures.txt files in various threads. Without the knowledge that it is possible to add new graphical cultures, I would not have known that this kind of a mod is possible.
RedRooster81 for suggesting how to depict Turks.
Marconius for spotting missing children texture for cumans.
zeress for spotting a missing nose file for young african females.
James009 for telling how to make the seperate portait.gfx files for cultures.

Attachments

• LittlePortraitModv0.2.rar
    1,4 MB · Views: 165
Last edited:
After the excellent portrait mod died on us I'm glad to see someone else pick up on this. Awesome. Any plans to improve/expand the facial features and clothing for other cultures as well?

Last edited:
After the excellent portrait mod died on us I'm glad to see someone else pick up on this. Awesome. Any plans to improve/expand the facial features and clothing for other cultures as well?
Probably not, this is more like a cut and paste and play around with hues mod, I can't do textures at all I'm afraid.

Great little mod :) One glitch though, the women seem to be missing their noses (or have a black hole in the middle of their face): http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595842255874984049/47F7B4F76E1B639ED41A7C95588522308CC8FD9B/
Thanks for the observation. This is fixed in the new version.

Probably not, this is more like a cut and paste and play around with hues mod, I can't do textures at all I'm afraid.

Oh, but that's exactly what I meant. Should've made myself more clear. The stuff the other modder was talking about sounded awesome and your mod is basically doing the same hues and beardstyle and clothing thing. Here, let me cut and paste what I mean.

-Non-black hair colour for Italians, Occitans, Castillians etc (in CK2 vanilla, the only hair colour generated to mediterranean christians is black)
-More beards around Europe
-Latin characters and Catholic priests will be shaved more often, while Norse, Slavic and Pagan ones will have beards more frequently.
-Orthodox priests have a proper headwear now
-Correctly redistribute hair colours around Europe
-Add formerly muslim beards and hairs to Western Europeans, when appropriate

It sounded absolutely brilliant. Too bad he never got to it. Since your mod seems to be doing quite some of the same stuff I was just getting hopefull. Anyway, thanks for the mod as it is. Played it for a little and love it!

May I add this to my mod? You will be credited of course :)
Be my guest. :)

It sounded absolutely brilliant. Too bad he never got to it. Since your mod seems to be doing quite some of the same stuff I was just getting hopefull. Anyway, thanks for the mod as it is. Played it for a little and love it!
Some of those things I could certainly do. Although my knowledge of medieval hairstyles etc. is abysmal, so I wouldn't know what hairs and beards would be appropriate to add.

Or don't add stuff that looks too 'outlandishly.' Though I'd be more than happy with stuff like Italians and Spaniards for example being able to have more haircolours than just black. ;)

The mod really improves on the overall look of the game btw. Very pleasing!

Last edited:
I would very much like to implement this in SoH 0.6 if you'd be so kind as to give me permission. It seems such a simple little mod but it improves the overall look of the game a great deal. :)

I don't want to take this gem away from you, but I would like to use it for Rodrigo as well. If I may. I will be playing around with Christian and Muslim portraits in Iberia so I'll let you know how that turns out.

Feel free to use this little mod, parts of it or improve it in your own projects. It is actually exactly what I hoped would happen, since this mod is only cosmetic, and there are so many great mods that do so much more for gameplay than this. I would be elated if some people think this is worth adding to their projects.

Last edited:
I will probably use it as a guide to figuring out how to do custom sets for a new culture.

Awesome. I've been waiting for someone to do this and you did it excellently. Great work!