• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We all knew what we started the moment we entered this war. These are merely the first of many deaths our nation and the nations who stand with us will suffer. However grave these losses are, we should use the valuable experience we gained to gain a foothold in Europe, something our brave generals have already thought about a lot.

Though it saddens me that our initial invasion of Norway failed, we musn't rest until even the smallest nation is freed from the oppresive Germans!

- Sen. John Linton, D-FL

I did scout, but all the ships told me was "there are some Germans there!"
Perhaps we need to deploy the OSS to Germany in stronger numbers? It may also mean that we need more decryption tech. Anyway, next time send a couple cags for a recon in force.

Dear Representatives in Congress.

We are at war.

The grave situation is, that it has befallen upon us to stand as a city upon a hill once again, a beacon of light in these dark times from which tyranny and villains will have to look away or else be blinded by the torch of democracy.

After our recent unsuccessful liberation attempt of the nation of Norway, it has become clear that we need to fuel the army to an even higher level, to be able to expertly engage the Jerries head on.

Therefore, for the coming year, I implore you to conjure up a Bill to present a budget that will fund all parts of our military might, but with the emphasis on the army on the ground. The German has a big lead in both weaponry and soldiers at this point, and we have to catch up to it and fast.

Also, while we will need to keep recruiting and training a steady supply of officers, I do not wish for our research to fall behind on the Nazi's either. We need to keep devoting a massive amount of our available leadership into researching new technology still.

I would also like to inform you that the United States Army Air Corps will be reconstructed into the United States Army Air Force. Under the guidance of General Westover, I have the utmost confidence that a further distinction between the Army and the Air Force will allow better structure and efficiency.

Finally, the recently started construction of the new War Department building just south of the Potomac River will be sped up considerably to, when it is completed, give us the edge we need to win this struggle. The walls of the Greggory Building almost seem lost in the amount of people having to relegate the paperwork necessary to keep this machine running.

I thank you for your attention, and I hope that this information will lead to a bright future of the army and our military structure as a whole.

General Malin Craig, Chief of the Army

I did scout, but all the ships told me was "there are some Germans there!"

((Chimina, please contact Tom ASAP or clear out your inbox -- thanks!))

(( I cleared my inbox as soon as I got the mail that he tried to send me a message :) ))

Operation Fortitude: Updated Orders

Preparation Adjustments

In light of the failure of our initial landings, we have adjusted our force distributions for Operation Fortitude. We have also changed our landing strategy; any item not specifically mentioned has not changed between plan variants.

Order of Battle Changes

• The 3rd U.S. Army Corps will be transferred from First Army to Third Army.
  • The 7th U.S. Army Corps will be transferred from Third Army to First Army.
  • The 2nd U.S. Armored Corps will be disbanded; its divisions (the 3rd and 4th Armored Divisions) will be attached to the 1st U.S. Armored Corps.

Landing Operations

Third Army forces will land at Trondheim: the 3rd U.S. Army Corps will land at Brekstad, just west of Trondheim, while the 1st U.S. Special Forces Corps will land at Afjord, just east of Trondheim. Upon landing, 3rd Corps' 13th and 14th Infantry Divisions will attack Trondheim from the west, while the Special Forces' 1st Ranger and 82nd Airborne Divisions will attack Trondheim from the east; the remaining forces will encircle Trondheim to the south, with the 15th and 16th Infantry Divisions marching to Storen, the 2nd Ranger Division marching to Stjordalshalsen, and the 3rd Ranger Division marching to Kraklivollen, after which they will join the attack on Trondheim. Once Trondheim has been secured, TRG Buffalo will land Third Army HQ there.

Shortly afterwards (see Timetable, below), First Armt forces will secure Bergen and Stavanger: the 4th U.S. Army Corps will land at Fedje, north of Bergen, while the 7th U.S. Army Corps will land at Haugesund, between Bergen and Stavanger. 4th Corps' divisions will then take Bergen, while 7th Corps' 4th, 5th, and 30th Infantry Divisions take Stavanger.

Once Trondheim, Bergen, and Stavanger are all secure, we will transport the remaining forces of Atlantic Northern Command to Bergen: the 1st U.S. Armored Corps and the HQs of Atlantic Northern Command, First Army, and the 4th, 7th, and 1st Armored Corps will disembark there; meanwhile, the HQs of Third Army, the 1st U.S. Special Forces Corps, and the 3rd U.S. Army Corps will disembark at Trondheim. At this time, we will transfer command of Operation Fortitude to General Marshall, who will command our forces throughout the operation ((read: enable the AI for Atlantic Northern Command)). Atlantic Northern Command will be tasked to capture Oslo, Narvik, Seljord, Kristiansand, and Tromso, utilizing aggressive tactics to ensure a swift victory ((read: Blitzing Stance, Air/Naval Offensive, objectives listed above)).

Operation Plans

With the exception of the changes to our OOB and landing plans as listed above, the remainder of the plan for Operation Fortitude is unchanged from its previous iteration.

Operational Timetable

January 1st: 01:00 - Attack on Trondheim canceled. TRG Buffalo is ordered back to Newcastle.
January 2nd: 09:00 - TRG arrives in Newcastle. 7th Corps is offloaded, and ANC's OOB is adjusted per included instructions. 1st SFC and 3rd USAC are loaded onto TRG, which begins moving to Trondelag Coast. (09:00)
January 3rd: 17:00 - TRG arrives at Trondelag Coast; 1st SFC begins landing at Afjord, while 3rd USAC begins landing at Brekstad.
January 4th: 05:00 - 1st SFC and 3rd USAC complete their landings; TRG Buffalo begins return to Newcastle. For 3rd USAC, 13th and 14th IDs attack Trondheim from Brekstad; 15th and 16th IDs march to Storen. For 1st SFC, 1st Ranger and 82nd Airborne Divisions attack Trondheim; 2nd Ranger Division marches to Stjordalshalsen, 3rd Ranger Division marches to Kraklivollen.
January 5th: 13:00 - TRG arrives back in Newcastle, and embarks First Army's eight infantry divisions; it then moves to Boknafjorden.
January 6th: 09:00 - TRG arrives at Boknafjorden. 4th Corps begins landing at Fedje; 7th Corps begins landing at Haugesund
21:00 - 4th and 7th Corps complete their landings; 4th Corps' forces attack Bergen, while 7th Corps' 4th, 5th, and 30th Infantry Divisions attack Stavanger.
January 7th: 16:00 - TRG returns to Newcastle. Remaining Atlantic Northern Command forces are loaded, prioritizing armored divisions over HQ units.
January 11th: Stavanger (05:00), Bergen (11:00), and Trondheim (18:00) are all secured. At 11:00 hours, TRG begins transporting remaining Atlantic Northern Command units from Newcastle to Bergen; simultaneously, air units begin transit from England to Bergen airbase.
January 12th: 07:00 - TRG unloads 1st USARC units and First Army HQ elements in Bergen, then returns to Newcastle.
January 13th: 03:00 - TRG arrives in Newcastle and loads remaining Atlantic Northern Command elements for transport to Trondheim.
January 14th: 11:00 - TRG arrives at Trondheim and unloads Third Army HQ elements and any remaining Atlantic Northern Command forces.
January 15th: 07:00 - TRG returns to Newcastle. Atlantic Northern Command begins autonomous operations.

Proposed: General Stillwell, C-in-C Atlantic Northern Command
Seconded: General MacArthur, C-in-C Atlantic Theater
Approved:

This time we shall succeed or I will tender my resignation!!!

General Stillwell C-in-C Atlantic Northern Command

General MacArthur. Given the results of the last attempt I am both startled and dismayed by the lack of air support. Do we not have any aircraft carriers in the area that can provide such?

My fellow senators, I propose we authorize the creation of 2 more corps of marines. Given what we have already seen, the Pacific will likely be much worse.
Richard Newman
Senator Georgia

General MacArthur. Given the results of the last attempt I am both startled and dismayed by the lack of air support. Do we not have any aircraft carriers in the area that can provide such?

My fellow senators, I propose we authorize the creation of 2 more corps of marines. Given what we have already seen, the Pacific will likely be much worse.
Richard Newman
Senator Georgia

Senator Newman,

I would like to personally assure you that four Carrier Air Groups are bombing German positions.

Admiral William D. Leahy, Chief of Staff

Richard Newman
Senator Georgia

Senator Newman,

As the President has noted, we currently have four CAGs bombing enemy positions. However, without an airbase on Norwegian soil, our land-based fighter and bomber wings will be unable to join the offensive; as such, once we secure either Bergen or Trondheim, our offensive should accelerate considerably, as we will be able to deploy our bomber and fighter contingents to aid the offensive.

- General MacArthur

((Anyone drawing up a budget for next year? I'd rather not draft one, as I'm a bit busy planning Tinderbox and with my other work, but I can make one if need be.))

My Proposal:
Name: Senator John Williams
Born: 1887 (age 50)
Party: Repubilcan Party

Policy ideas:
-- Foreign policy plans: Pro-allied, anti soviet

-- Budgets for IC, including total distribution and which of the four gets what for construction purposes: balanced for the most part, top priority towards navy, then army, then air force

-- Budgets for leadership, including total distribution and which of the four gets which techs: See IC distribution

-- Declaring war/signing peace treaties: Only under provocation/our demands for peace are met

-- Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Allies

-- If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: No one right now

-- Input on our general deployments overseas: As much as is required for the military

-- All decisions and law changes: Whatever will help us in this war

-- Nukes!: Only to prevent higher casualties

OOC:Let me know if I missed anything

Mr. President,

Apologies for the brevity of my message, I am currently in the process of redeploying our forces, as well as assisting in the war effort with the selling of bonds.

By and large, things go well in the Pacific Theater. Our forces have inflicted noticeable casualties on the IJN, and have deflected their initial spearhead. Might I suggest the following measures, Mr. President, if I may be so bold?

-Redeploy Pacific TRG Group to the West Coast ((was in previous set of orders))
-Hold Montana SAG in Pacific
-Appoint Island HQ Commander and subordinates
-Continue skirmishing IJN
-Consolidate fleets as necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness and combat potential. Any damaged ships should be sent to a safe anchorage.

Otherwise, Mr. President, continue as we have been until the return of our Marines from the Atlantic and/or our new construction rolls off the line. Please allow me to stress that we should not attempt to strike against Jap islands with normal Army units; the prolonged combat time would leave our ships vulnerable to IJN interdiction.

I remain, as always Mr. President, your o'bst servant.

Long live The Republic!

General Omar N. Bradley, C-in-C Pacific Theater

PS-Should you have any questions or concerns, or if I have been neglect in my duties, I ask only that you point me in the right direction, and I shall overcome my deficiencies to the best of my abilities.

My Proposal:
Name: Senator John Williams
Born: 1887 (age 50)
Party: Repubilcan Party

Policy ideas:
-- Foreign policy plans: Pro-allied, anti soviet

-- Budgets for IC, including total distribution and which of the four gets what for construction purposes: balanced for the most part, top priority towards navy, then army, then air force

-- Budgets for leadership, including total distribution and which of the four gets which techs: See IC distribution

-- Declaring war/signing peace treaties: Only under provocation/our demands for peace are met

-- Which faction we align ourselves to, if any: Allies

-- If one of the Big Four needs to be fired/replaced: No one right now

-- Input on our general deployments overseas: As much as is required for the military

-- All decisions and law changes: Whatever will help us in this war

-- Nukes!: Only to prevent higher casualties

OOC:Let me know if I missed anything

Assuming you still want to be from Mississippi, you're fine.

Mr. President,

Apologies for the brevity of my message, I am currently in the process of redeploying our forces, as well as assisting in the war effort with the selling of bonds.

By and large, things go well in the Pacific Theater. Our forces have inflicted noticeable casualties on the IJN, and have deflected their initial spearhead. Might I suggest the following measures, Mr. President, if I may be so bold?

-Redeploy Pacific TRG Group to the West Coast ((was in previous set of orders))
-Hold Montana SAG in Pacific
-Appoint Island HQ Commander and subordinates
-Continue skirmishing IJN
-Consolidate fleets as necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness and combat potential. Any damaged ships should be sent to a safe anchorage.

Otherwise, Mr. President, continue as we have been until the return of our Marines from the Atlantic and/or our new construction rolls off the line. Please allow me to stress that we should not attempt to strike against Jap islands with normal Army units; the prolonged combat time would leave our ships vulnerable to IJN interdiction.

I remain, as always Mr. President, your o'bst servant.

Long live The Republic!

General Omar N. Bradley, C-in-C Pacific Theater

PS-Should you have any questions or concerns, or if I have been neglect in my duties, I ask only that you point me in the right direction, and I shall overcome my deficiencies to the best of my abilities.

General Bradley --

As long as the Chief of the Army approves, your plans seem sensible. ((Sorry about the TRG bit; I must have missed it! Anywhere in particular on the West Coast?))

President Willkie

I think I'm going to change the way we do budgets. It's the single longest/most involved part of the AAR, and drags down everything else. In the real life American government, the executive branch ((the President formally presents the budget, but other people obviously work on it too)) submits a budget to Congress, and Congress votes it up or down. So for the initial stage -- determine who gets how much IC/Leadership for a fiscal year, here are three proposals.

Therefore, what might work the best is one of three things:

1. Add "preparing the budget" to the Secretary of War's duties.
2. Create a new position -- Secretary of the Treasury -- that would be responsible for drafting the budget for IC and LS.
3. The Chiefs give me their requests (strictly numbers in this scenario), I put together a budget, and then you guys vote on it.

Option "3" is the way the actual budget process works today. In all three cases, the Party Leaders could still filibuster the budget (check the OP for more details) or make recommendations. Once the budget is approved, then the Chiefs decide how they want to spend their stuff.

So, let's vote on it! Indicate Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3. As always, bold your vote, and we'll close voting on Tuesday at 10 PM (-6 GMT).

I say Option 1, but the Senate must view it over first and ensure it's acceptable.

- Senator Elexis Sinclaire (R - MA)

As secretary of war, I am more than willing to prepare the budget. Should the president and congress see fit,I would only ask that the various chiefs and through them the senior commanders present me with their desired list of formations and equipment. This can be delivered directly to my office(PM) or via public request(here).
Secretary of War
Leroy Grumman

I say option 3. Now then to Gen. MacArtur, I must say when I heard of the failure in Norway I was shocked and angerd, I told you not to waste lifes especially not high numbers. You lost 6000 men and couldnt secure a beach head, I must say im dissapointed but, perhaps, this one time I will forgive you and let you have another chance but you mess up again I'll get the senate to take your stars and if your not kicked out of the army you'll be so demoted and put in such a crap postion you'll wish you died on those norwegian beachs. Just remember General, I'll be watching, and good luck.

Senator Randall McGeehan Jr.

((You should consider a airborne assault behind them and move in via land to trondiem to support the amphib assault))

After a trip to Newcastle I come back!
I heard the news of our defeat at Trontheim and I was there to see our troops coming back to British shores,and many of them were injured.I saw a ship returning only with their crew.I totally believe that those men are heroes.They fought,they lost but they won't come back to tell it as we may blame them for losing the battle

Anyway on the bill i'd say option 3.It gives more flexibility on the bill and appoval by the chiefs and senate.

Senator John Sarigis(I leader-SC)

On the bill, I would go with option 1. It gives the military the autority to build what they need. To General MacArthur, I hope for your sake that this operation succeds. Otherwise, I believe that a suitable replacement can be found.

On an unrelated topic, I've noticed that we are finishing a build of aircraft carriers. However, in both the Pacific and Atlantic, the battleship has been the workhorse of the navy. Therefore, I'd recommend the construction of a more modern class of Battleship ASAP.

Senator John Williams(R-MI)

Last edited:
Poll:

Options for reformulating the budget

Option 1: 2
Option 3: 2

Senator Sinclaire,

The Senate will, of course, have final approval over any budget, regardless of the originator. I apologize if I did not make that clear.

President Willkie