• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
could you elaborate on what you mean by "assimilated"?
That could mean two things.
a) If say as France you DID not create the kingdom title of Aquitaine, does the de jure kingdom of Aquitaine "merge" with the de jure + de facto kingdom of France (after some time)?
b) using French Aquitaine again, do you HAVE to create the Kingdom of Aquitaine and govern the de jure + de facto separate kingdoms of Aquitaine and France (assumably north Frankish France) before they "merge" after 100 years of de facto control.

Also, do you need to hold, say the Iberian Kingdoms (modern Spain + Portugal)
a) consecutively for 100 years, or
b)just cumulatively
(ie. uninterrupted 100 years, or "morsels" amounting to 100 years) for them to be assimilated

Either way, this and the previous dev diary are just awesome (it's also kinda a shame that your release date is coincidentally also the start of the summer semester :laugh:)

Is this assimilation mechanic only for Kingdoms, or can duchies assimilate counties and empires assimilate kingdoms? I think empires should at least be able to lose kingdoms that exist separate from the empire for a long time. For example, a Kingdom of Sicily that gets formed and remains outside the Byzantine Empire for a hundred years should no longer be a de jure part of it.

Also, I'd like some kind of proximity requirement for the assimilation (with a longer allowed distance for coastal duchies). For example, in my first game I was playing Norway, and inherited a bunch of landlocked duchies in Russia. They shouldn't really become a de jure part of Norway unless I first managed to assimilate most of Sweden and Finland. Finally, I'd like it if duchies whose de jure liege doesn't exist were assimilated faster.

Can titular titles assimilate territories too, thereby becoming non-titular?

This would be nice, along with non-titular kingdoms becoming titular if they get completely assimilated. Iberian kingdoms for example should probably start either as titular ones, or very small kingdoms and then assimilate duchies from Andalusia as the Reconquista progresses.

Oups, direct translation fail, yes, Good Friday it is. I think Long Friday is a better name though, since it was all long and painful for Jesus. Whats good with him agonizing on the cross:D?

Don't forget we are on the CRUSADER Kings boards ok? You shouldn't make jokes of the CROSS and Jesus. The pope and bishops opinion decreases - 50;) (sorry it's off topic).

This is such an awesome update! Lots of loveliness on the way :) Just one question, will the patch work with current saves?

It sounds like duchies will only assimilate into a new kingdom if you do not also control thier king title. It also sounds like titular titles have a chance at becoming de jure, which is awesome!

Why the change from Al-Andalus to Andalusia? It's not important for sure, but Al-Andalus sounded cooler in my opinion.

Slight aside; are you going to fix the bug where kingdom titles not currently held by someone do show their historical holders? The Bulgarian ruler file always gets wiped after I load a save. ;(

An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king.

So i'm playing as Bavaria at the moment, with the new patch - if i am Duke of Bavaria and say Swabia I can break away from the HRE (Claim Independent) then become the Kingdom of Bavaria?

Because if thats the case..... I will send you money! All i want is my glorious Bavarian Kingdom!

Why the change from Al-Andalus to Andalusia? It's not important for sure, but Al-Andalus sounded cooler in my opinion.

Because Al-Andalus lends a specifically Islamic tone which was appropriate until now, because it was a specifically Islamic kingdom in the game. Now Christians can get it too, so adopting the more geographically flavoured name fits better.

Because Al-Andalus lends a specifically Islamic tone which was appropriate until now, because it was a specifically Islamic kingdom in the game. Now Christians can get it too, so adopting the more geographically flavoured name fits better.

You still have to be of Arabic culture though

balor said:
Some changes to kingdom setup also include Galicia and Navarre being de jure kingdoms, and the kingdom of Al-Andalus is now called Andalusia and can be created by anyone in the Arabic culture group.

If I'm, say, king of Sweden and Norway, and I conquer and hold a province that isn't in either for 100 years, which one does it become a de jure part of? Is it just whichever I have set as primary?

The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom, after belong to that kingdom for at least 100 years. So if England holds Normandy for 100 years, it will become a de-jure part of England, and the crown-laws of England will apply to Normandy.

What if the king of England also holds the French crown, will Normandy then still drift?

Is this assimilation mechanic only for Kingdoms, or can duchies assimilate counties and empires assimilate kingdoms? I think empires should at least be able to lose kingdoms that exist separate from the empire for a long time. For example, a Kingdom of Sicily that gets formed and remains outside the Byzantine Empire for a hundred years should no longer be a de jure part of it.

It seems reasonably clear (at least to my reading of it) that the new mechanic is only for the Kingdom-Duchy relationship. However, Empires could end up assimilating Kingdoms by simply assimilating each individual duchy (that's my own extrapolation based on how I understand the unification of Spain will work anyway). I can't see how duchies could end up assimilating counties with what's been written thus far. I'm not sure about the Byzantine empire losing duchies in the example you describe. I think it would depend on whether the Byzantine empire's de jure hold of the kingdom was by duchy or by kingdom. Hopefully it's the former but I've a sneaking suspicion that it's not. Still, here's hoping.

"Frisia, Lotharingia, Bavaria, Pomerania, Aquitaine and Britanny are now de jure kingdoms from 1066" that I think is going to be one of the game-changers. Unless I miss my mark every Duke in those de jure Kingdoms is going to be scheming for those thrones and that should drastically reduce the strength of France and the HRE. I really hope I'm right about that - Dev confirmation would be awesome btw. :p

"An interesting mechanic change is that a kingdom can only be created if you are already a king or emperor, OR you hold more than one duchy title. After all, who would respect a mere duke claiming to be a king."

That could work against the previous feature in terms of toning down France, HRE etc. but it makes an awful lot of sense and might prevent numerous ineffectual tries for the throne. My guess is that it was put in place to do precisely that.

All in all, this is looking like an amazing patch. Best yet there's more to come! A big thank you to the Dev team is due I think.

Edit:

Can titular titles assimilate territories too, thereby becoming non-titular?

If we follow Balor's words strictly, the answer would appear to be no. "The first feature of this concept is the fact that duchies can now be assimilated into another de-jure kingdom."

Last edited:
You still have to be of Arabic culture though

Right, but in the previous DD, we see like a dozen different forces all crusading for the Kingdom of Andalusia, which makes me think that the Arabic restriction is only for creation. Non-Arabs can probably become King of Andalusia by taking it from Arabs using the new Crusade mechanics which awards a kingdom to the Crusader who achieves the most merit.