• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
IIRC correctly, there should be piracy problems to deal with (pirates exist like rebels but never meet them ingame).

in future, you could also adapt some mecanisms to the itilian merchant republics.

IIRC correctly, there should be piracy problems to deal with (pirates exist like rebels but never meet them ingame).

With the "naval patrol events" in my last post I meant exactly what you suggest.
There were the Victual Brothers in the Baltic sea, so we can add them in game. These pirates were originally mercenaries, so they will appear in events, or mercenaries.

Like this
hansepiracy.png

in future, you could also adapt some mecanisms to the itilian merchant republics.

Technically, we could add at least one trade good event in all provinces.
It would be also nice if some messes such as Champagne, Frankfurt.a.M or Nördlingen could be included.

Last edited:
Another image of upcoming events. (Please ignore some grammatical mistakes. :D)
hansepirates02.png

I have added pirates events. When I have added other economical events, I will upload ver.0.5

Ältermann or Eldermann would be a nice title for the leader of the Hanse.
But I like your mod!

Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I thought someone may give me a better title. I imagine that the Leader of the reorganized League could call himself as patron of All German merchants in the North and Baltic seas and lord of the Hanseatic cities, but couldn't find a simple title like "King". So I had chosen Hochmeister, since the Leader could learn about the title from the neighboring Teutonic Order, I think.

I prefer Eldermann/Ältermann, but I have one question. Is it a good name for the fictional, and partial feudal Hanseatic League of this Mod? Or, doesn't the title Ältermann sound too bourgeois? I am also not sure that a Duke can regard this title higher than his original Ducky title.

Last edited:
Ver.0.5 is released.

Here is a SS about an event with one of the four famous Hanseatic kontor in London,Brugge, Bergen and Novgorod.

hansekontor.png

A big problem to represent the economical activity of Italian merchants republics is, we can't imagine it without existence of some important republics. If a King conquers Venice or Genoa, maybe we have to remove all of the mechanism. I could create such a mechanic, but it would be too complicated. So I am just waiting for some suggestions to solve this issue.

On the other hand, the economic activity of the Hanseatic League is rather "headless". The league was never an independent country (as in EU3 wrongly represented), and even if Lübeck would have stopped existing, the League itself would continue. The system of CK2 can do very well in order to represent the historical features of the Hanseatic League, far better than I expected.

Last edited:
Interesting, what if, instead, a county level republic could become head of the hanseatic league, and the city in question could ask the holy roman emperor to be become an imperial city, perhaps leaving some exception if it's owned by a player (or the player could retain their castle in the province, if they own one). This city could become leader of the league, with all it's accompanying bonuses. An alternate arrangement would be to allow county level republics that are vassal to any duke to also head the league, in this way players could have a motivator for releasing a city vassal, presumably they'd give a lot more profit then standard cities.

While it's kind of cool, a feudal Hanseatic league doesn't seem quite right.

Also, a language quibble, but it's either duchies (singular: duchy), or ducal titles (but not duchy title, duchy being a noun, ducal the adjective). A "Ducky", in English, makes me think of these. A duck just doesn't quite leave the same feeling of awe as a Duke.

Interesting, what if, instead, a county level republic could become head of the hanseatic league, and the city in question could ask the holy roman emperor to be become an imperial city, perhaps leaving some exception if it's owned by a player (or the player could retain their castle in the province, if they own one). This city could become leader of the league, with all it's accompanying bonuses. An alternate arrangement would be to allow county level republics that are vassal to any duke to also head the league, in this way players could have a motivator for releasing a city vassal, presumably they'd give a lot more profit then standard cities.

It is more historical. I prefer the second way, since republics in HRR in-game seem to appear only accidental.
Maybe I could add strong bonus modifiers to republics (counts).

While it's kind of cool, a feudal Hanseatic league doesn't seem quite right.

As I said, it is a fictional story (like Venice in EU3 can turn into the monarchy). I made that decision because I wanted to make the League as playable faction and set it as one of the achievements for players. In addition, I think a similar path to the Netherlands, "a republic under hereditary lordship" was plausible for the Hanseatic League. If a duke controls the most part of Northern Germany (historically it had never happened), he would also become the lord of the Hanseatic cities in this region, since the rights of the cities were guaranteed by their lords. The cities would also need a strong leadership of monarchs in order to win against foreign merchants protected by their kings. Thus the collaboration of the duke and merchants could happen, and the title "leader of the Hanseatic League" could be higher than other ducal titles in some aspects, since it covers many territories.

Also, a language quibble, but it's either duchies (singular: duchy), or ducal titles (but not duchy title, duchy being a noun, ducal the adjective). A "Ducky", in English, makes me think of these. A duck just doesn't quite leave the same feeling of awe as a Duke.

Thanks for the correction. I felt something is wrong in these texts, but couldn't find the reason. :D

Last edited:
Ver.0.51 is uploaded.

With the suggestion of Thure, I have added names for the titles of German republics
With the suggestion of Don_Quigleone, I have added events to give Hanseatic republics (counts and dukes) a bonus modifier.

Your mod looks really good. Would it be possible to link the start and perhaps growth of the league to a certain technology or building?

It would be great, however, I am using normal green money icon (nr.6 in the event_modifiers.txt). Sadly, I am not a skilled painter.

I had a go at this today (stole some trade icons from EUR and my mod). They turned out pretty horrible. :)

tradeicons.jpg

Wine, Textiles, Furs and Grain.

Your mod looks really good. Would it be possible to link the start and perhaps growth of the league to a certain technology or building?

Good idea! I have tried to make buildings as trigger, but failed by coding with has_building. Will try with technologies.
Could you suggest about processes of the growth?

I had a go at this today (stole some trade icons from EUR and my mod). They turned out pretty horrible. :)

tradeicons.jpg

Wine, Textiles, Furs and Grain.

Wow, it looks nice! If we could have a bit bright ones, the icons would be really awesome.

Ver.0.52 (small fixes) is released.

Ver.0.52 (small fixes) is released.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I included your mod into RK1066. Thanks for your support!

You know, if you're doing a mod that simulates the formation of the Hanseatic League, maybe you should include the formation of the Swiss Confederation as well; I'm not an expert, but from what I can tell it was similar enough in its early days that it could be simulated with the same mechanics, except that it went further in the end, but the decision to become independent from the dukes was one that actually was taken by the Swiss and not by the Hansa. Maybe decisions to organize meetings or to create it as a title should only be accessible to mayors of the member cities rather than their lieges as well.

You know, if you're doing a mod that simulates the formation of the Hanseatic League, maybe you should include the formation of the Swiss Confederation as well; I'm not an expert, but from what I can tell it was similar enough in its early days that it could be simulated with the same mechanics, except that it went further in the end, but the decision to become independent from the dukes was one that actually was taken by the Swiss and not by the Hansa. Maybe decisions to organize meetings or to create it as a title should only be accessible to mayors of the member cities rather than their lieges as well.

For Switzerland an easier way should be to have a de jure duchy/kingdom for it. with a condition to be a republic to form it.

For Switzerland an easier way should be to have a de jure duchy/kingdom for it. with a condition to be a republic to form it.

If you set being republic as condition for the establishment of Switzerland, only AI can create the confederation, and I won't add features which are not accessible for players. That is why I did make the ahistorical feudal Hanseatic League in this Mod.
If I add Switzerland, maybe I will create titular feudal Ducky to keep it playable. The regional identity of Switzerland could be grown under feudal lords.

By the way, what do you think about the economic impact of the cities in Switzerland and how could we represent it in game? I know some cities were very rich and this area was on the important trade route, but they didn't have the economical uniqueness such as Hanseatic League, I think.

If you set being republic as condition for the establishment of Switzerland, only AI can create the confederation, and I won't add features which are not accessible for players. That is why I did make the ahistorical feudal Hanseatic League in this Mod.
If I add Switzerland, maybe I will create titular feudal Ducky to keep it playable. The regional identity of Switzerland could be grown under feudal lords.

By the way, what do you think about the economic impact of the cities in Switzerland and how could we represent it in game? I know some cities were very rich and this area was on the important trade route, but they didn't have the economical uniqueness such as Hanseatic League, I think.

the risk with feudal thing, under HRE, with a scatered region like this, is the kaiser creating it and giving it away to some random guy somewhere.

About economy, is was pretty poor except the exploitation of passes. mainly St Gothard. some economic benefits fluctuating with local wars (if we can detect the presence of levies or waring countries around) and weather/season OC.

the risk with feudal thing, under HRE, with a scatered region like this, is the kaiser creating it and giving it away to some random guy somewhere.

This would be easily avoided with checking independence or possessed titles in the trigger (I am planning a decision).

About economy, is was pretty poor except the exploitation of passes. mainly St Gothard. some economic benefits fluctuating with local wars (if we can detect the presence of levies or waring countries around) and weather/season OC.

It sounds that I should not create a special province modifier for Switzerland.

This would be easily avoided with checking independence or possessed titles in the trigger (I am planning a decision).

It sounds that I should not create a special province modifier for Switzerland.

ok I don't know anything on events/decisions/triggers etc.

is it possible to check if a ruler owns bordering or specific provinces ? let's say the 2 provinces on each side of a pass. if it is the case, then it should give an economy modifier on both provinces.