• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
By the way, is it just me or are muslim tech levels way higher than christian counties have?

Yes, seeing as Europe was largely a backwater in the 11th century compared to the Arab world (which was essentially experiencing it's golden age).

Yes, seeing as Europe was largely a backwater in the 11th century compared to the Arab world (which was essentially experiencing it's golden age).

Myeah, I knew there was some point in history where this was true. It does make conquering their territory even more tasty than it already was ..

It may shock everyone to learn that Oberto's next ambition is to Amass Wealth.

Consider me hugely shocked!

Nicely done thus far, things seem to be progressing well in Iberia. One thing has become abundantly clear from these updates; no one has more deserved the honourific 'the Holy' than Oberto.

Consider me hugely shocked!

Nicely done thus far, things seem to be progressing well in Iberia. One thing has become abundantly clear from these updates; no one has more deserved the honourific 'the Holy' than Oberto.

It helps that he hasn't been caught.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if Oberto was assassinated in a plot helped by Bruto?

You have an interesting idea of "fantastic".

Chapter 31 - King of Leon

June 1155: Oberto's mother, Agata, passes away. This is problematic, as she was the spymaster, and the next best one is several points worse.

Of course, having her rise from the dead and be a zombie would also be bad.

The best candidate for Spymaster (Count Alvise of Cremona) happens to dislike me even after becoming Spymaster, so I make him Master of the Hunt so he doesn't feel the need to plot against me.

In July, I find myself outnumbered by Beja. The simplest solution, of course, is to hire mercs.

31-Mercs.jpg

The mercs hook up with my army in October...time to party. Meanwhile, the Emperor declares war on Beja as well. Grrrr.

31-BofVillaReal.jpg

Another victory in Alarcon effectively shatters Beja's army, so they hire 2400 mercs themselves.

31-BofMadrid.jpg

I decide to make use of my mercs and armies before dismissing and recalling them:

31-BofPlasencia.jpg

In June 1157, the Emperor's armies have arrived, and I score another major victory as Beja attacks my armies right as the Emperor's armies walk in.

31-BofBadajoz.jpg

Oberto loses the Shy trait. Always a good thing.

31-Shylost.jpg

When someone brings in a huge army to "help" with your siege, that's when it's time to assault.

31-SofMoraleja.jpg

The Pope sends me money, pushing me over the threshold again for Amassing Wealth. Meanwhile, Oberto is now third in line for the Emperor's throne.

31-HREHeirs.jpg

In April 1158, Castore di Parma's war against the Kingdom of Aragon ends, with Castore taking Valencia.

31-Valencia.jpg

Finally, in June, Emir Muhammed surrenders Badajoz. This leaves the Emperor with nothing, since inexplicably, he declared the war for the same land. Badajoz is given to Prince Chiaffredo.

31-Badajozpeace.jpg

Having Badajoz allows Oberto to become the King of Leon.

31-KingofLeon.jpg

June 1155: Oberto's mother, Agata, passes away. This is problematic, as she was the spymaster, and the next best one is several points worse.

Of course, having her rise from the dead and be a zombie would also be bad.

"Dude, yo momma's a zombie" - starring Ashton and Demi?

With Beja weakened your control of Iberia seems quite secure now... Does CK2 launch any further African invasions (i.e. Almohades) mid-game?

You have an interesting idea of "fantastic".

I still think having the 'Et tu, Brute?' line re-enacted far outweighs losing your main character :)

Oberto's done good work in Spain as usual. I do love the 'third place' in succession, despite being 15 votes behind first place!

Finally, in June, Emir Muhammed surrenders Badajoz. This leaves the Emperor with nothing, since inexplicably, he declared the war for the same land. Badajoz is given to Prince Chiaffredo.

Good that Oberto continues to play the role of devoted vassal, kindly sharing his gains with his liege. Oh wait.

Further good progress in Iberia, collect enough crowns and Oberto will be Emperor in no time!

Changes

After being inspired by reading your AAR, i started a new game as Parma. I successfully fabricated a claim on Genoa but i could not use it. (I can't remember what it said but the I think it was b/c i am a vassal to Toscana and Genoa is not, despite us both being in HRE).

Was this changed in a subsequent update? I was able to capture Lucca but could not used a fabricated claim on Ancona either.

Thanks.

P.S. You are doing a great job w/the AAR, keep it up!

After being inspired by reading your AAR, i started a new game as Parma. I successfully fabricated a claim on Genoa but i could not use it. (I can't remember what it said but the I think it was b/c i am a vassal to Toscana and Genoa is not, despite us both being in HRE).

Was this changed in a subsequent update? I was able to capture Lucca but could not used a fabricated claim on Ancona either.

Thanks.

P.S. You are doing a great job w/the AAR, keep it up!

Your ability to declare war on vassals of the realm are based on the Crown Authority. IIRC, at Medium Crown Authority, vassals can't declare war on each other, and at High, they can't declare war on anyone but the head of the realm.

Thank you!

Your ability to declare war on vassals of the realm are based on the Crown Authority. IIRC, at Medium Crown Authority, vassals can't declare war on each other, and at High, they can't declare war on anyone but the head of the realm.

Thank you!

Hmmm. but why could i declare war against Lucca and not Genoa? I had claims on both and could exercise the one against Lucca, but not Genoa.

Thanks for responding!

Hmmm. but why could i declare war against Lucca and not Genoa? I had claims on both and could exercise the one against Lucca, but not Genoa.

Thanks for responding!

They might have had a family member of yours hostage.

good to see the Holy one at the top of the tree ... and not being shy about it

Exactly!

With Beja weakened your control of Iberia seems quite secure now... Does CK2 launch any further African invasions (i.e. Almohades) mid-game?

Mauretania usually ends up taking most of Al-Andalus, but with Beja being so large, neither are big enough to dare attack the HRE (which they would have to do to get at me.)

I still think having the 'Et tu, Brute?' line re-enacted far outweighs losing your main character :)

Heh.

Oberto's done good work in Spain as usual. I do love the 'third place' in succession, despite being 15 votes behind first place!

It's like a race between you, me, and Usain Bolt.

Congrats on the new title.

Let's hope the next few updates showcase some of the greatest hits of the Kings of Leon. ;)

Just as long as no pigeons try and poop in Oberto's mouth.

Good that Oberto continues to play the role of devoted vassal, kindly sharing his gains with his liege. Oh wait.

Exactly. He is the model vassal.

Further good progress in Iberia, collect enough crowns and Oberto will be Emperor in no time!

Hope so...

Thanks for responding!

Hrm. Not sure then. Lieges that have multiple kingdoms can result in all sorts of wonkiness, as a ruler's capital determines whose crown laws they follow.

Exactly!

Hrm. Not sure then. Lieges that have multiple kingdoms can result in all sorts of wonkiness, as a ruler's capital determines whose crown laws they follow.

Ahh, i moved my capital from Parma to Corsica, (needed to get mercs on islands and didnt have ships to do it) so i wonder if that was my problem. Thanks for your thoughts