• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

the_hdk

Grand Master
87 Badges
Dec 6, 2003
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
This is a mini-mod made by me.

Paradox did most of the work, as most of the characters are already in the game. I edited them and put them in Irish History files.
It starts from Conn of the Hundred Battles and ends with Malachy II.
Not everything is correct, mostly family connections. But I couldn't bother to add 20+ other new characters for that only :p
I added around 38 new characters. (code 773xx)

If people want to use it in their bigger mods, im fine with it. Just 2 things. Post it here that you will do doing it, and credit me :p

Seems appropriate to bring this out of St. Paddys day :D.

Link

Install:
put them together with any other mod.

What does this mod do actually? What did you do with "high kings"? I am curious about your solutions because I am doing some research to help out on the Carolingian mod and many aspects of the Irish political system were probably the same.

What does this mod do actually? What did you do with "high kings"? I am curious about your solutions because I am doing some research to help out on the Carolingian mod and many aspects of the Irish political system were probably the same.

I added the history files of all the past High Kings of Ireland from Conn of the Hundred Battles. So If a character claims the Kingship of Ireland again he won't be the 1st one. say for instance that his name is Niall.
He won't be Niall I, but Niall IV IIRC.

sadly there is a bug in ck2 in the last version where history files of unclaimed titles disappear.

I have to admit, I have only played the game for about a week, so I don't know how to best model Irish "High Kings".

What are your thoughts on this? Does one need an "Irish Empire" with a weak central authority? Or how would this best work? How does a "high king" have any effect in the game? How is it different than a regular king? How are they selected/crowned?

I have to admit, I have only played the game for about a week, so I don't know how to best model Irish "High Kings".

What are your thoughts on this? Does one need an "Irish Empire" with a weak central authority? Or how would this best work? How does a "high king" have any effect in the game? How is it different than a regular king? How are they selected/crowned?

regarding your 1st question. yes they know it. I posted it as a bug and the team has it. I hope they can work it out.

as to model them. good question. TBH I do not have enough knowledge of Irish history to give you a good answer, and I bet there are enough people here who have more knowledge.
I think the system as of now works well. Only change I would do is change the names of titles. So Duke would become King. And King -> High King :)

Honest it scream fun event and and choic for become mythica element in isle. I now along there least three different item weapon, and place that tell if you if your true high king or Ard Rí na hÉireann.

wut

hÉireann, why is that h uncapitalized? Is it supposed to be like that? Ingame there's an irish dynasty called hUalgairg, is that correct too?

Since I am playing the hUalgairg right now I am also curious :). I have no idea but I assume it is spelled correctly.

hÉireann, why is that h uncapitalized? Is it supposed to be like that? Ingame there's an irish dynasty called hUalgairg, is that correct too?

It's due to Irish grammar. 'Ard Rí na hÉireann' obeys the rule in Irish that if a word ending in a vowel precedes the word it agrees with that starts with a vowel, a 'h' is added to add a greater distinction to the following word (pretty much make it easier for a listener to distinguish the second word). When writing Irish as a consequence, 'Eireann', the genitive of Eire (Ireland in Irish) retains the capital letter and the 'h' stays lower case. It's similar with the úrú when it comes to Irish prepositions. I cannot think of an example offhand as it's been a while since I wrote any Irish but you might also see other bizarre things like nEireann, tSasanach (England, literally Saxony in Irish) and nAlba.

This mod is excellent. The Irish title really should exist from the very start of the game as the history of Irish Kings goes very far into the past. It's a shame they are lost, anyone still have them? I'd like to use them again.