• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ijtzoi

Second Lieutenant
82 Badges
Sep 6, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
This mod is a rehaul of the Kingdom of Wales. Cornwall has been removed and two new provinces have been added instead, allowing a better representation of some of the history of the region. Powys' history files split into Powys Gwenwynwyn and Powys Maelor in the later history files, and Powys Gwenwynwyn bounces to and fro England during Llewellyn's reign as it did. Special coats of arms depict this, and Buellt is now home to the varied kingdoms of Rhwng Gwy a Hafren, and every single province is localized in Welsh and English, so you can easily see the land change.
Behold, a new Wales.

1081.png

Download cantrefi.zip
for CK2 v3.0

Changelog:
  • v3.0 Updated for 3.0
    • Integrated a lot of 3.0's history, it's pretty great.
    • Added Ynys Mon/Anglesey
    • Completely redrew the borders, re-researched barony placement
  • v2.6 Updated for 2.7
    - Welsh names are now Celtic-control only. English names are default
    - Overhauled Powish flags; Cyfeilog and Maelor have non-lion flags before the split into Powys Fadog and Wenwynwyn, Powys proper adopts Mathrafal lion between rule by Mathrafals and split.
  • v2.5 Updated for 2.6.1
    - Fixed Maelor and Glywysing not loading from saves properly
  • v2.4 Updated for 2.5.1
    - Reduced some county settlement slots
    - Re-introduced 3-duchy requirement for forming the kingdom of Wales
  • v2.3 Updated for 2.4.1
  • 2.2.1 Updated for 2.2.1.1
    - Implemented 2.2's seasonal changes in the new provinces
    - Added tech_seed values for the new duchies (thanks jordarkelf!)
    - Fixed independent de jure Norman Deheubarth in later starts
    - Updated to 2.2.1.1
    - Ergyng/Pengwern are English by default, belonging to Welsh duchies only in Charlemagne starts
  • v2.2 Updated for 2.2
    - Uses Paradox default flag for duchy of Powys
    - Pengwern/Shrewsbury and Ergyng/Hereford are de jure Powys and Morgannwg in 769 start
  • v2.1 Updated for 2.1
    - Changed some positions
    - History files do longer give Welsh duchies to English characters
    - Seisyllwg is now a tribal title, Deheubarth requires Dyfed to form
  • v2.0 Updated for 2.0
    - Player no longer needs to be Celtic to form Wales
  • v1.8 Updated for 1.111
    - Added EU4 Converter province table
    - Seisyllwg and Deheubarth can only be created if the other title does not exist. Seisyllwg also requires you to have two counties (one of them Ceredigion) and no other ducal titles.
  • v1.7 Updated for 1.101
    - Added kingdom of Seisyllwg
    - Greatly expanded title history
    - Disabled mod directory : now uses vanilla settings and save-game lists
    - New coat of arms for Perfeddwlad
    - Cornwall named "Dumnonia" when ruled by Welsh or Breton characters
    - Internal rename of c_powys_fadog and c_powys_wenwynwyn to the names shown in-game
  • v1.6 Updated for 1.09
    - Welsh character history reverted to vanilla
    - Added English names for Welsh counties
  • v1.5 Incorporated Welsh character and title changes from 1.08.
    - Tweaks to Perfeddwlad positions.
    - Rather than uniform hills, terrain type in de jure Deheubarth is now flat, in de jure Powys and Brycheiniog it's mountain.
    - Fixed succession of Brycheiniog after death of initial king of Deheubarth.
    - Fixed automatic fealty of Elfael and Buellt to Morgannwg. Now it's to Britannia. ["0" for none doesn't appear to work for baronies].
  • v1.4 Compatibilty with 1.06 and SoI.
  • v1.3 Fixed an issue with Ystrad Tywi's positions.
    - Fixed an issue with my Manx fix.
    - Reworked the County of Maelienydd: its holdings, besides its capital Crug Eryr, are baronies representing the Kingdoms of Elfael and Buellt.
    - Welsh and Irish characters are no longer Earls, and are now Counts.
    - Incorporated even more of Theodotus1's history fixes.
  • v1.2: Updated for 1.05
    - Pembroke is no longer an earldom. Instead, where it once was, we have Dyfed, and where Dyfed once was, we have Ystrad Tywi.
    - Fixed the "_adj" of the Isle of Man to "Manx" and of Brittany to "Breton", because I am way too picky and find "Mannian" and "Brittannian" mildly annoying.
    - The Kingdom of Wales now requires 3 duchies to be held for it to be created.
    - Incorporated Theodotus1's improvements to character history. Thanks again!
  • v1.1: Cosmetic changes
    - Powys Fadog and Powys Gwenwynwyn renamed to the cantrefs of Maelor and Cyfeiliog. (Old names were based on their founders' names)
    - Changed the flags of the counties of Brycheiniog, Maelienydd, Meirionydd, the duchy of Powys, and the kingdom of Wales.
  • v1.0: initial release

Attachments

• cantrefi.zip
    889,7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yup. People are free to include my mod in any mod of their own.

As for Saxon England, if they want to include Cantrefi, they are more than welcome to, but I don't plan on integrating Saxon England in my copy.

This is an outstanding mod. A much better way to address issues with Wales than a Kingdom of Brythonia. (I can see having a kingdom of Brythonia, but that should be something that can be formed if the Welsh ever manage to reconquer all of England that belonged to the Britons before the Saxons arrived.)

Glad people are interested, hope everyone enjoys it. There were some issues with the old flag set up, so I put together verson 1.1. Nothing major, I still wanna tackle the history of Maelienydd more in-depth to reflect the various independent kingdoms of Rhwn Gwy a Hafren during many periods of the game.
Maelienydd no longer uses a Powys symbol, Meirionydd isn't a generic-wales-symbol, Brycheiniog isn't a... made-up symbol, Powys isn't just a combination of its counties, and Wales' symbol has been made less specific to the circumstances it's created in. The banner of the kingdom of Gwynedd was less than ideal, and the dragon/st. david's cross were both symbols floating around in this time period.
If you do prefer the historical banner of the Principality of Wales, all it takes is deleting k_wales.tga from the mod/Cantrefi/gfx/flags folder.
Also, turns out post-split Powys' kingdoms [Fadog and Wenwynwyn] were just named like that 'cause of rulers they had a few centuries into the game... so now they're named after cantrefs instead!

One thing I noticed--Bleddyn of Gwynned is missing his son, Maredudd. (It's like that in vanilla, too.) It appears that the problem may be that his son Hunydd(sp?) is misnamed, as my research seems to indicate that Hunydd is a woman's name.

Last edited:
Loving this mod. However it seems to make "The prince and the Thane" mod crash about every year. Not sure why.. o_O Could you look into this?

In case that it is allowed I will include this mod together with Saxon England into Reality Kings 1066. Is this ok for you?

Edit: This seems currently not feasible. I included the Lotharingia and Lowlands mod which also changed the map. Is there a mod that does combine all map changes?

Last edited:
You'll have to combine map changes manually. This mod only changes the wales region, so it'd be easy enough to copy/paste just that square onto a lotharingia map. Photoshop, GIMP, even Paint should be able to handle it. Note that this mod changes the colour definitions of 18 and 65 in addition to adding 911-916, so you'll have to copy 18 and 65 too. Might need to change 911-916 to different range of numbers, be sure to set up localisation strings, definitions.txt, continent.txt, and history/provinces files with the new province numbers (including 18/65).
If you hadn't guessed by my telling you how to combine mods, I'm ok with combining mods. :) Anyone who wants to can include this mod or my other one, All the Way to Timbuktu, in their mods.

As for The Prince and The Thane, both mods change landed_titles.txt. I'm surprised it could run in the first place. I could probably release a combined landed_titles.txt as a compatibility patch. I'll get on that later tonight.

I haven't modified characters yet out of lazy. Maelienydd and Brycheiniog's history are suffering a fair bit for it (as well as the difficulty of research there). I'll remember to bring Maredudd into it when I get around to characters, thanks for bringing my attention to it. There's a nice little irony that I'll be replacing Hunydd with the namesake of Meredith to get rid of an improperly feminine name.

You'll have to combine map changes manually. This mod only changes the wales region, so it'd be easy enough to copy/paste just that square onto a lotharingia map. Photoshop, GIMP, even Paint should be able to handle it. Note that this mod changes the colour definitions of 18 and 65 in addition to adding 911-916, so you'll have to copy 18 and 65 too. Might need to change 911-916 to different range of numbers, be sure to set up localisation strings, definitions.txt, continent.txt, and history/provinces files with the new province numbers (including 18/65).
If you hadn't guessed by my telling you how to combine mods, I'm ok with combining mods. :) Anyone who wants to can include this mod or my other one, All the Way to Timbuktu, in their mods.

As for The Prince and The Thane, both mods change landed_titles.txt. I'm surprised it could run in the first place. I could probably release a combined landed_titles.txt as a compatibility patch. I'll get on that later tonight.

I haven't modified characters yet out of lazy. Maelienydd and Brycheiniog's history are suffering a fair bit for it (as well as the difficulty of research there). I'll remember to bring Maredudd into it when I get around to characters, thanks for bringing my attention to it. There's a nice little irony that I'll be replacing Hunydd with the namesake of Meredith to get rid of an improperly feminine name.

Your mod and LaL are already Deus Vult Europa Divisa by pixie57. I asked him for allowance and inclusion of Saxon England. It would be really great if we could get Cantrefi and Saxon England soon in one mod!

I'll remember to bring Maredudd into it when I get around to characters, thanks for bringing my attention to it. There's a nice little irony that I'll be replacing Hunydd with the namesake of Meredith to get rid of an improperly feminine name.

Hunydd was apparently the name of Maredudd's first wife. (Seems things got a little mixed up when they were putting the game together.)

Also, Maredudd was the oldest son. Cadwgan was second and Iorwerth was third. I think this is also wrong in vanilla CK2, where Cadwgan is shown as the oldest.

And I don't see any historical support for more than 3 sons, but the records I've been finding on the Internet may well be incomplete.

For CK1 there was a really good Wales mod that had a lot of research behind it. That might be a good source of information on such things.

Is the AI pathfinding hotfix new?

EDIT: Ok, I've now had a chance to do more research on Bleddyn. The number of his children in the game is correct, except that Hunydd was his daughter, not his son. However, the dates of birth for his children are all messed up. I've edited a copy of the character file to correct the information, and will happily send that to you for your use -- just let me know how best to get it to you.

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to download it, and was actually holding off on the latest release of Cantrefi (primary change is swapping Dyfed and Pembroke, and making the eastern one Ystrad Tywi) until after so I could make sure it was compatible. I'll have to take a look when I get home, but in the meantime, feel free to just try and let me know. It will wipe out the new kingdoms of Brittany, Lotharingia and all that, but I'll incorporate those in my next release.

And... I should have read your earlier posts more carefully. You already did the character work? That's awesome! If you could post the .txt as an attachment, I'll bring your changes into my next release. :)

Looking forward to the compatible version. Your division of Welsh territory is much superior historically to vanilla.

I've attached the 2 files I modded. The welsh file fixes the historical errors in the birth dates and birth order of Bleddyn's children, and also in the ruler of Maelienydd. The other file fixes an inaccuracy in the ruler of Malienydd which results after the the birth and death dates there are fixed.

EDIt: The traits shown for Bleddyn and his son Cadwgan are slightly in excess of what the new ruler designer would allow, but that doesn't bother me much because the traits for William the Conqueror are way outside what the designer would allow.

Attachments

• welsh - Copy.txt
    49,1 KB · Views: 2
  • c_maelienydd - Copy.txt
    694 bytes · Views: 5
Last edited:
One suggestion for when you update your mod to be compatible with 1.05 -- don't make Cornwall part of de jure Wales. I see no historical basis for that.

EDIT: I just tried loading your mod with 1.05, and it seems to work.

One interesting thing about the new Vanilla setup in 1.05 is that since holding two duchies is necessary to create a kingdom, any prospective king of Wales has to hold most of Wales (5 out of 6 counties, effectively, in order to hold the necessary 2 duchies.) This seems to comport with history.

It would be good if you could incorporate something like this requirement in your mod, perhaps by reorganizing the duchy structure and thus decreasing the number to 3 instead of 4. All the same counties would remain, but they would just be grouped into Gwynedd, Deheubarth and Morgannwg. Under this setup, a character who held Gwynedd and Deheubarth could found the kingdom, and that would to some extent match what Llywelyn ap Gruffudd accomplished by 1267, when he was recognized through the Treaty of Montgomery as Prince of Wales. (The one thing I don't like about reducing the number of duchies this way is that it overlooks the separation of Powys from Gwynedd. So maybe your existing setup is better, though it allows the creation of the kingdom while only holding half of Wales. I don't know if that is problematic, historically, or not. None of the Mathrafels ever declared as King, and they kept trying to get Deheubarth, so historically it seems that more was thought necessary than just holding Gwynedd and Powys.)

What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Ahh, goody, free files for my mod. Thanks a bunch! A 1.5 version should be up in a few minutes, I just have one line left to add to landed_titles. And a quick run to check it doesn't crash, I s'pose.

I'm kind of surprised Paradox left Cornwall in Wales when it stopped being Brythain. I'm going to add it to England, no worries. It's a little odd that it seems to work with 1.5, I guess the missing crusade weights of 1.04c have defaults. In any case, I've taken the default one for Wales.

And as long as I'm adding Paradox's new Celtic-culture creation requirement, I may as well add a three-duchy creation restriction to Wales. It's pretty easy to do. I never liked that the Mathrafals start one province away from being King (and a de jure one of a realm they hold, at that! I was so happy every time I fractured Gwynedd and Powys)... and I'm not sure the old Principality of Wales would count as a King-tier title, in CK2 gameplay terms. The Treaty of Montgomery made it legitimate in the eyes of England, yes, but it also made him a nominal vassal of the English. That is not a relationship between two King-tier titles, gameplay wise. It's part of why I switched the flag of Wales for a "St. David and the Dragon" deal (though even if it were a kingdom-tier principality, the old banner is really about Gwynedd anyway). In any case, 3 duchies makes Welsh unity not a given at gamestart. I wouldn't go so far as to edit them into being vassals of England [nowhere near docile enough, though I wonder if I should give the English king a claim on Gwynedd around the time they became hostile...], but I'm not gonna have k_wales be held by historical characters nor base its formation on the Principality.

EDIT: Just released v1.2, with 1.05's changes to titles except for where they conflicted with mine [i.e., having Cornwall in Wales]. Nothing else in this mod SHOULD conflict with 1.05, but if there's odd behaviour, be sure to let me know.

Last edited:
Many thanks indeed for the quick turnaround!

I didn't know that kingdom creation could be modded as you describe. I think your solution is best.

I'll start a game with your new version after the hotfix is available.

Edit: My changes to character history focused mainly on the Mathrafals, since I tend to take Gwynedd as a starting point. I can take a look at the other 1066 characters, if you'd like, and send you those, too. (I love this mod, and am pleased to be able to contribute.)

Last edited: